Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2005, 10:33 PM   #1
oykib
College Starter

AL MVP: Ortiz or A-Rod

Everyone should know by now that I'm a bigtime Yankees fan. So I'm not going to get into the minutae of the stats (although A-Rod's are marginally better). But I don't see how even if think Ortiz has better numbers that he has enough seperation to make up for the fact that he's a DH and A-Rod is probably the second-best third baseman in the league.

Code:
Year Team G AB R H HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG David Ortiz 2005 BOS 142 536 108 159 42 130 92 107 1 0 .396 .603 .297 Alex Rodriguez 2005 NYY 144 539 108 172 41 112 81 118 13 6 .419 .596 .319

oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:39 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

How about clutch hits? How about impact of hits? Ortiz has it over A-Rod (who's an average 3rd baseman)
Old 09-15-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

A- rod- by far. In Boston, Ortiz is playing the "easiest" defensive position. Meanwhile, A-rod is playing a damn good 3b, and is out hitting Ortiz - he leads him in RC. Given that the defensive difference in worth 15-20 runs by itself, I see no reason why Ortiz should win.

And yes, I live in Boston.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:43 PM   #4
WrongWay
Banned

I want to know how many game saving catches did Ortiz make? How many time Did ortiz turn a game around with a SPECTACULAR defensive play?

Sorry, but Defense if part of the game.

Now, if it was an award for only hitting, say the triple crown, then a DH could win it.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 10:57 PM   #5
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
I want to know how many game saving catches did Ortiz make? How many time Did ortiz turn a game around with a SPECTACULAR defensive play?

and how many times has Arod cost the yankees runs and games with his defensive play?
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:03 PM   #6
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
and how many times has Arod cost the yankees runs and games with his defensive play?
As opposed to playing...say David Ortiz at 3rd?
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:04 PM   #7
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny

okay, that is ridiculous. A-rod was consistently one of the best SS in baseball via UZR, and was amongst the best 3b last year - having to cover for Derek "no range" Jeter. PLus, A-rod playing a position with a defensive premium (compared to DH) makes him a lot harder to replace that Ortiz. He's had a better offensive season, and plays above average defense at 3b - the Ortiz case seems to be based primarily on Sox fans.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:06 PM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Arod's Fielding percentage is 5th best in the AL (only .009 behind the leader Blalock) and his range is among the best stasticially among 3B in the AL. His team has almost as many wins and his offensive numbers are comparable. Therefore, my vote would go to Arod.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
okay, that is ridiculous. A-rod was consistently one of the best SS in baseball via UZR, and was amongst the best 3b last year - having to cover for Derek "no range" Jeter. PLus, A-rod playing a position with a defensive premium (compared to DH) makes him a lot harder to replace that Ortiz. He's had a better offensive season, and plays above average defense at 3b - the Ortiz case seems to be based primarily on Sox fans.

oh i agree completely. It just seems a bit foolish to me to say that Arod makes game saving defensive plays and Ortiz doesn't (which was the post i was replying to). It's not his game saving and spectacular plays that will win him the MVP, it's the fact that he goes out there every day and plays above average defence at a difficult position
Old 09-15-2005, 11:17 PM   #10
McSweeny
College Starter

dola

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
Now, if it was an award for only hitting, say the triple crown, then a DH could win it.

this to me implies that you think that a DH should not be allowed to win the MVP because he doesn't play defense. Last i checked the DH was indeed part of the game and of course a DH should be able to win the MVP, just as a pitcher (even a closer) should be able to win the MVP. Of course a pitcher needs to have an amazingly dominate season (and not be left off two ballots) and a DH would have to have a monster season and blow the rest of the field away statistically to make up for the lack of fielding.

For example, if Arod were playing first base and was the worst fielding first baseman in the league, i'm sure this race would be a hell of a lot closer

Last edited by McSweeny : 09-15-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:17 PM   #11
Galaril
Pro Starter

How many baseball players have won MVP awards due to their defensive skills?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:34 PM   #12
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

The only argument to be made in Ortiz' favor is that his "clutch" performance is so outrageous this year (and I have a feeling from seeing some incomplete analysis at SOSH that it is truly outragous), combined with a corresponding lack of clutch-ness from A-rod, overcomes the credit the latter should get for fielding. Numbers-wise overall, there's very little to separate the two.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:42 PM   #13
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

A-Rod without question.

Ortiz's "clutch" hitting? Newsflash: runs scored in the first 6 innings count the same as runs scored in the ninth.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:37 AM   #14
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

A-Rod. Getting that kind of production from a 3B is much more valuable than getting that kind of production from a DH.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:45 AM   #15
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
A-Rod without question.

Ortiz's "clutch" hitting? Newsflash: runs scored in the first 6 innings count the same as runs scored in the ninth.

Sure. But you can't win the game with a run scored in the sixth. You can win the game directly on a run scored in the 9th.

let me guess, you're one of those statheads who say "Clutch ability" is a misnomer, that there's no such thing as a clutch player?
Old 09-16-2005, 12:50 AM   #16
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
let me guess, you're one of those statheads who say "Clutch ability" is a misnomer, that there's no such thing as a clutch player?

Let me guess, you're one of those emotional baseball types who ignore all research that clearly shows clutch hitting if it even exists is such a small effect it's not even worth considering.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:57 AM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Drickman
Let me guess, you're one of those emotional baseball types who ignore all research that clearly shows clutch hitting if it even exists is such a small effect it's not even worth considering.

There are three types of lies, sir.

Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.

You take a set of numbers, and massage them to say whatever you want them to say.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:58 AM   #18
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Lets take a game that ends 1-0. Is A-Rod hitting a homerun in the first any more valuable than Ortiz hitting a homerun in the 9th to anyone but the fans who create irrational mythology out of it?

Old 09-16-2005, 12:59 AM   #19
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

You take a set of numbers, and massage them to say whatever you want them to say.

Ok. I'll accept that to be true. Please massage out some numbers that show a trend that clutch performance actually exists.

Wasn't my point to begin with, but go ahead.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:05 AM   #20
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wish I could find a site with the numbers, but (this is going from memory from a discussion on the radio)

RISP, Less then 2 Outs. Hard to say that this isn't a clutch situation. Every hit here means runs.

League average is .273

A-Rod is slightly better then league average, .277

Ortiz is hitting somewhere in the neighberhood of .325 IIRC

Last edited by SirFozzie : 09-16-2005 at 01:06 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 01:15 AM   #21
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

Actually I was just making a contradictory post that had the same tone as yours. Just showing how your comment could easily be turned around. Carry on.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:16 AM   #22
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Wish I could find a site with the numbers, but (this is going from memory from a discussion on the radio)

RISP, Less then 2 Outs. Hard to say that this isn't a clutch situation. Every hit here means runs.

League average is .273

A-Rod is slightly better then league average, .277

Ortiz is hitting somewhere in the neighberhood of .325 IIRC

I'm confused at what this proves. First of all, Davd Ortiz is a much better than average hitter, so comparing his RISP to the league average RISP is rather misleading. Secondly, with such a small sample size, there is going to be a large amount of random deviation in any split. I don't feel like looking up any numbers right now, so I'll just take an example off the top of my head: In his first 100 ABs or so, Jeff Francouer was hitting about .380 with 10 HRs. Since then he has dropped off considerably. Does that mean he's a great first 100 AB hitter? Can we expect the same thing from him next year?

Old 09-16-2005, 01:26 AM   #23
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I think it's one of those things where we just won't agree, and it's two fucking thirty in the morning, don't feel like arguing, so I'll just leave it there.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:33 AM   #24
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Ok. I didn't really want to argue this either, as I'm sure this conversation has taken place a thousand times on this board and elsewhere.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:41 AM   #25
Danny
Head Coach

I actually find it funny everytime a new argument like this pops up. Neither side is going to convince the other side to change their mind. Sorry for adding a little fuel to the fire there .
Old 09-16-2005, 02:17 AM   #26
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
How many baseball players have won MVP awards due to their defensive skills?

Exactly, how many times has Barry Bonds won the MVP award? Many, and I highly doubt it's because Bonds is a superb left fielder . Offense wins these awards, as much as I'd like to see defense play a bigger role, I don't think it plays into it much at all.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:05 AM   #27
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Ortiz, he's won about 20 games for the Sox this year. There is no one more valuable to the team than him. You can argue about the existence of clutch all you want, how many homers does Ortiz need to hit that put the Sox up in the last two innings?

And A-Knob's a chode.

Last edited by jeff061 : 09-16-2005 at 08:31 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:26 AM   #28
oykib
College Starter

No, players don't win the MVP with defense very often. But plenty of shortstops and catchers have won with defense being a main contributor. So, defense is obviously part of it.

How important do you think defense is? Even if you think that it's only worth 10%, that's all an advantage to A-Rod.

Barry Bonds played in the field pretty much every game-- despite ywhat you may have felt about the quality of his play-- when he won his MVPs. Even if you think he was terrible, his margin over his closest competition on offense was probably enough for him to have won if he had been a DH.

A-Rod and Ortiz have offensive numbers of almost equal value. But Ortiz has played ten games, badly, at first. A-Rod has played three games at short and 143 games at third. He'll be in the running for a gold glove at third. To say that that doesn't give Rodriguez the advantage means you're not exercising rational analysis and ther's no point in discussing it with you.

There's a point to be made about clutch hitting. While "clutch hitters" may not exist-- "clutch hitting" does. Ortiz has hit well in close-and-late situations and with runners-in-scoring-position. That's to his advantage. I'd also give him the advantage at this point because we could use team position as a tie-breaker.

However, even though he's hit fifty points higher with RISP, he's hitting twenty points lower overall. Also with all those great at bats his offensive numbers are still, at best, equal to Rodriguez's.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:29 AM   #29
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Player of the Year = A-Rod

MVP = Ortiz
Old 09-16-2005, 08:39 AM   #30
Ryan S
Quarterback

A-Rod, and it's not even close.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:36 AM   #31
oykib
College Starter

I always thought it was a bullshit copout anyway. But I don't even get the whole Player of the Year vs. MVP thing this year. Their teams are 1 1/2 games apart. This isn't a case that one guy's team has been out of it since July.

You certainly can't make the case with the stats that Ortiz has been immensely more valuable.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:40 AM   #32
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I can't believe there's a thread discussing this. For a DH to win MVP, they're going to have to be head and shoulders above the field in terms of offensive performance. I'm talking dominant triple crown numbers.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:45 AM   #33
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
I always thought it was a bullshit copout anyway. But I don't even get the whole Player of the Year vs. MVP thing this year. Their teams are 1 1/2 games apart. This isn't a case that one guy's team has been out of it since July.

You certainly can't make the case with the stats that Ortiz has been immensely more valuable.

No not on stats alone but I can safely say with his clutch play, the Sox would be no where near first place.

Not seeing A-Rod everyday I can't comment on his relative "value" but Ortiz wins games in the big spots for Boston.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:47 AM   #34
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Without following the Sox I don't know if people understand just how often he has come up big and how much you can depend on him in the late innings. It's freakish.

And he's not a whining little baby jerk Yankee.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:57 PM   #35
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
Ortiz, he's won about 20 games for the Sox this year. There is no one more valuable to the team than him. You can argue about the existence of clutch all you want, how many homers does Ortiz need to hit that put the Sox up in the last two innings?

And A-Knob's a chode.
Quote:
Without following the Sox I don't know if people understand just how often he has come up big and how much you can depend on him in the late innings. It's freakish.

And he's not a whining little baby jerk Yankee.
I value your opinion on this matter jeff061 because you are in no way biased in any capacity.

Here is an easy question: you had a choice between a player that will hit .320 with 45 HR's and play gold glove caliber 3B, and a player that will hit .300 with 45 HR's and not get anywhere near the field, who would you choose to put on your team? If you don't say the 3B, you are crazy.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #36
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

At least I don't try and hide it .

Your post qualifies for Player of the Year awards, not MVP. I'd take Ortiz over A-Rod. That's my totally 100% unbiased opinion.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:01 PM   #37
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
At least I don't try and hide it .

Your post qualifies for Player of the Year awards, not MVP. I'd take Ortiz over A-Rod. That's my totally 100% unbiased opinion.
What is the different between the two in your mind? Playing 3B is definitely more valuable than playing DH.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:02 PM   #38
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I'd have to agree. Not taking away from A-Rod, he's great but it's the age old arguement of "valuable".

Is A-Rod more "valuable" on the open market...sure. That is Player of the Year. Take one away from their teams and which teams tanks it more...Red Sox. That's MVP.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:03 PM   #39
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

This is not OOTP, this is real life. Ortiz is more valuable to the Sox than A-Rod is to the Yankees.

If we were drafting for a text sim here I'd take A-Rod.

Last edited by jeff061 : 09-16-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:10 PM   #40
henry296
College Starter

I know that it isn't a perfect stat, game winning RBIs is a potential "clutch" stat. A-Rod actually has 1 more than David Ortiz, 17-16. Basically both players have equally put their team in the lead, while Ortiz' tend to be later in games, I tend to agree with Thunderherd that a home run in the first vs. in the 9th is just as important in a 1-0 game.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:13 PM   #41
rkmsuf
Head Coach

It doesn't matter. The voting is done by agenda toting morons who don't even pay attention.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:17 PM   #42
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I'd have to agree. Not taking away from A-Rod, he's great but it's the age old arguement of "valuable".

Is A-Rod more "valuable" on the open market...sure. That is Player of the Year. Take one away from their teams and which teams tanks it more...Red Sox. That's MVP.
So if you have two players with nearly equal stats playing for teams with nearly equal records, and take each away from their respective team, how does the one that plays no defense make the team tank while the one that does play defense has little effect? That doesn't make any kind of logical sense.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:19 PM   #43
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:

But how do you create value? By being the best player. A-Rod has a slightly higher SLG than Ortiz, and his OBP is 20 points higher. A-Rod has had a slightly better offensive season, and when you add in his defensive contribution, it's a no-brainer. And this is coming from a guy with a pretty severe dislike of A-Rod.

If you really want to talk value, look at a guy like Mike Sweeney. He is more valuable to the Royals than either Ortiz or A-Rod are to their teams.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:20 PM   #44
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
So if you have two players with nearly equal stats playing for teams with nearly equal records, and take each away from their respective team, how does the one that plays no defense make the team tank while the one that does play defense has little effect? That doesn't make any kind of logical sense.

Put a light hitting, good defensive 3b in the Yankees lineup and

put a crappy hitting dh in the red sox lineup and let's compare.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:21 PM   #45
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755
But how do you create value? By being the best player. A-Rod has a slightly higher SLG than Ortiz, and his OBP is 20 points higher. A-Rod has had a slightly better offensive season, and when you add in his defensive contribution, it's a no-brainer. And this is coming from a guy with a pretty severe dislike of A-Rod.

If you really want to talk value, look at a guy like Mike Sweeney. He is more valuable to the Royals than either Ortiz or A-Rod are to their teams.

great, without Mike Sweeney they'd be more last.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:25 PM   #46
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Put a light hitting, good defensive 3b in the Yankees lineup and

put a crappy hitting dh in the red sox lineup and let's compare.
So the thinking is, if we replace ARod with Brooks Robinson in his prime, and Ortiz with Minnie Mendoza in his prime, then the Red Sox will do worse than the Yankees? I agree with that, but it has nothing to do with our conversation.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:28 PM   #47
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
So the thinking is, if we replace ARod with Brooks Robinson in his prime, and Ortiz with Minnie Mendoza in his prime, then the Red Sox will do worse than the Yankees? I agree with that, but it has nothing to do with our conversation.

It always comes back to the definition of most valuable.

It's hard for either side to get a sense of it not watching the majority of games.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:34 PM   #48
DanGarion
Coordinator

The fact that Ortiz does not play in the field is an ASSET to the Red Sox, if Ortiz played 3B he would be a liability and thus this makes him better then A-Rod.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 01:44 PM   #49
miked
College Starter

Didn't A-Rod almost carry the Yanks for a month and a half? I think if you replaced either one with a crappy player, they'd both be a lot worse off. The Red Sox offense has scored more runs than the Yanks offense. So if you take Ortiz away, it would be almost the same as taking A-Rod away, except for the fact that you'd be losing a gold-glove caliber defender in the latter scenario.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 01:44 PM   #50
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
The fact that Ortiz does not play in the field is an ASSET to the Red Sox, if Ortiz played 3B he would be a liability and thus this makes him better then A-Rod.
I'm assuming this is tongue-in-cheek?