Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Family Guy Season Premiere 9/11

I find this just asanine:
Fox Holds Family Guy With Hurricane References

Abstract: Fox has substituted one original episode of Family Guy for another on Sunday, the debut of its new fall season lineup that night, because the episode scheduled to air contained a “couple” references to a hurricane. “Out of sensitivity to what happened, we’re moving it back a couple weeks,” a Fox spokesman told B&C.

From http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...=Breaking+News

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:38 AM   #2
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, I understand that the timing may be bad. But seriously, they probably made the episode WAY before hurricane season started. And it's not like it's the episode where Quahog got devastated by a hurricane, which has aired repeatedly even during hurricane season where there's been at least one "major hit." Postponing a show for one or two references to a hurricane seems to me like PC at its worst. Granted, so long as they show a NEW one and not an old one, I guess I can't complain too much.

/tk
Old 09-09-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Why would you find that asanine..???
Old 09-09-2005, 11:43 AM   #4
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

See my previous comment.
I guess I'm just tired of all the "PC" that's been happening lately. I mean, it'd be one thing if there was like one-week turnaround on these and they started the episode last week. But for something that's been in the can and only has "one or two references to a hurricane" seems...well, like PC gone bad.

/tk
Old 09-09-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Postponing a show for one or two references to a hurricane seems to me like PC at its worst.

/tk

PC? How does this have anything to do with political correctedness? I think that phrase is thrown around a lot when it's not exactly appropriate.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment. Though before I made the call on whether the decision to postpone the show was asinine or not, I would have to hear/know what the references actually were.

I remember the WB cancelling an episode of "Buffy" on the day of the Columbine massacare because the episode involved Buffy and the group thinking a kid was going to come to school with a gun and start shooting. While, that's not exactly what happened, I think the decision not to air that particular episode that day was 100% the right choice. It had nothing to do with PC, but with just particular sensitivities to the subject matter. They aired the episode later and it was great.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:45 AM   #6
st.cronin
General Manager

This is just common decency, that's all.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:48 AM   #7
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Also, most people don't think to realize that these episodes are filmed (is that the right word for cartoons) ahead of time. Fox does not want dumb people thinking that they made references to the hurricane on purpose because of Katrina.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #8
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I just find it interesting that references to a hurricane were originally going to be aired on a show that starts on 9/11. It is just funny to me that both of these are by coincidence.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:01 PM   #9
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
PC? How does this have anything to do with political correctedness? I think that phrase is thrown around a lot when it's not exactly appropriate.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment. Though before I made the call on whether the decision to postpone the show was asinine or not, I would have to hear/know what the references actually were.

I remember the WB cancelling an episode of "Buffy" on the day of the Columbine massacare because the episode involved Buffy and the group thinking a kid was going to come to school with a gun and start shooting. While, that's not exactly what happened, I think the decision not to air that particular episode that day was 100% the right choice. It had nothing to do with PC, but with just particular sensitivities to the subject matter. They aired the episode later and it was great.

Perhaps "PC" was the wrong choice of words (I couldn't think of anything better to call it). Either way, I know I'm probably in the minority and that some people might think I'm a jerk for thinking it's "ok" to air an episode that makes a couple of references to a hurricane...

I mean, if you're not going to air it once, why air it ever? I know, the entire "too soon" thing. But if it's something that someone who has been in a hurricane might find offensive, why do it in the first place? And if not, then what's the problem?

I'm not trying to be a jerk...(and I'm sorry if I've offended anybody)...

/tk
Old 09-09-2005, 12:04 PM   #10
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Perhaps "PC" was the wrong choice of words (I couldn't think of anything better to call it). Either way, I know I'm probably in the minority and that some people might think I'm a jerk for thinking it's "ok" to air an episode that makes a couple of references to a hurricane...

I mean, if you're not going to air it once, why air it ever? I know, the entire "too soon" thing. But if it's something that someone who has been in a hurricane might find offensive, why do it in the first place? And if not, then what's the problem?

/tk

I don't think it's a question of something being 'offensive.' I think it has to do with the point of entertainment, which is to present a diversion to life's agonies.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:13 PM   #11
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

/tk

No, you aren't wrong. I can remember Howard Stern was making OJ jokes on Letterman like a week or two after OJ was arrested and Letterman talked about how he doesn't joke about a double murder. Then Letterman's monologue for the next 2 years was all OJ. Hypocracy at it's finest.

The only people who don't bother me in situations like this are the ultra-relgious zealots, at least they beleive in something and feel this way the whole year. What pisses me off is FOX network acting like they care about being sensitive at all. Give me a break! (And I think the term PC does apply to situations like this.)

Last edited by panerd : 09-09-2005 at 12:14 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #12
Franklinnoble
Banned

Doesn't surprise me. CBS just got ripped a new one for airing a previously-taped episode of The Price Is Right in which the big showcase included a trip to New Orleans and a new speedboat...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:20 PM   #13
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I don't think it's a question of something being 'offensive.' I think it has to do with the point of entertainment, which is to present a diversion to life's agonies.

Yes, but then what is the point of reality TV, if not presenting other people's agonies/challenges for our entertainment?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:24 PM   #14
Ksyrup

Another example of this is the fact that Bill Simmons, in his NFL preview article, left the Saints completely out of the article. I assume that's because he his original piece made a few jokes about them. I also assume none of those jokes had anything remotely to do with the hurricane, but either he and/or the editors felt like it would be out of bounds for him to joke about legitimate shortcomings of a sports team that just happens to play in a city that got hit with tragedy. I'm not sure I see how that would be offensive - it's not like the team perished or isn't going to play. They're still going to play all of their games and underachieve just like they always do.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-09-2005, 12:31 PM   #15
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Yes, but then what is the point of reality TV, if not presenting other people's agonies/challenges for our entertainment?

The difference is that reality TV *is* (to some) entertaining - whereas jokes about hurricanes would NOT be entertaining, but would rather make people cringe.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #16
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
The difference is that reality TV *is* (to some) entertaining - whereas jokes about hurricanes would NOT be entertaining, but would rather make people cringe.

Entertainment is in the eye of the beholder - the crap that people are forced to go through on reality TV, the embarrassments, etc., make plenty of people cringe.

No doubt the hurricane joke(s) were as a result of the 4 that hit Florida last year. Even given the passage of 1 year, aren't there inevitably going to be some who were personally affected who won't find them funny?
Old 09-09-2005, 12:46 PM   #17
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Entertainment is in the eye of the beholder - the crap that people are forced to go through on reality TV, the embarrassments, etc., make plenty of people cringe.

No doubt the hurricane joke(s) were as a result of the 4 that hit Florida last year. Even given the passage of 1 year, aren't there inevitably going to be some who were personally affected who won't find them funny?

Sure - any joke will be funnier to some people and not funny at all to others. But surely many if not most of Fox's target audience would be REPULSED by hurricane jokes right now. If Katrina had not happened, that would not be the case.

It's a question of scale, target audience, what you are trying to accomplish with the joke and the show, etc.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:54 PM   #18
Ksyrup

Yes, I'm sure people would be repulsed by it, many of whom I'm sure had a hearty laugh over the OJ website joke (slash backslash, etc.) 12 years ago.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:58 PM   #19
st.cronin
General Manager

One difference is that OJ joke is INTENTIONALLY disgusting and shocking. Obviously Family Guy/Fox aren't going for that sort of humor this week.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:00 PM   #20
Ksyrup

Which makes it even less offensive.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:39 PM   #21
Galaxy
Coordinator

What about the Miami Hurricanes?

I agree with the decision though. It's not as if they are "cancelling" it, like the Jewish one, just postponing it.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:34 PM   #22
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

http://petergriffonlives.ytmnd.com/
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:38 PM   #23
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Now that's hilarious!
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote