Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Green Day in Concert

Just wondering if anyone else has seen Green Day in concert? I just saw them at Gillette stadium on Saturday and was blown away! I thought they were amazing, even though i barely knew any of there new stuff (Boulevard o Broken Dreams and Holiday) but they played plenty of old stuff...Welcome to Paradise, She, Longview, Minority, and Good Riddance. I thought they were amazing the whole time...though I am comparing this to seeing Dropkick Murphy's (BU spring fest) and Creed (Verizon Center in Manchester, NH). I came away just thinking "Creed who?" Their political views come around quite a bit, but it didn't bother me one bit (Bush Supporter am I).

Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

screw you sublime! I'm SOOO angry that I was working on Saturday night and missed my guys!

Yeah I saw them in Lowell a couple years back, and it was a damn awesome concert. Again they played a lot of old stuff then, and the concert was totally worth it. I don't know if I would have liked them in a venue as big as the Razor.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:10 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

I saw them a couple of years ago when they were touring with Blink 182. Even though I was not a fan of their's (got dragged to the concert ), I was pretty impressed with them. They were a very good live band.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I saw them at the HUNTRIDGE 10-14 years ago, when they were nobodies, if it matters.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:16 PM   #5
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

It's pretty hard for me to imagine any band ever outshining Creed.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:42 PM   #6
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Billy Joe called 3 kids up from the standing room section in front of the stage. At first he says, "I need a fuckin drummer! All i need is the kid to play 3 beats/notes" he then goes on to call out 2 more kids, one for base and one for guitar. There was much entertainment involved in the choosing and once selected the 3 kids played their three or so notes and Billy Joe finished the song. At the end, Billy Joe called the guitarist back out there and gave him his guitar. Then he called the drummer back out, and told him to do a huge stage dive. Bassist as far as i could tell didn't get anything (though i imagine they all got back stage passes and what not).

Sorry just another good part of the concert i remembered.

P.s. Jimmy Eat world was the second band to play if anyone cares....i really only know the two big songs they play...and i can't even recall the names now. the lead off band i can't remember at all but they did play one pretty good song.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:44 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

Yeah, they did that at the concert I went to as well.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:52 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
It's pretty hard for me to imagine any band ever outshining Creed.
this is a joke, right?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:55 PM   #9
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2
the lead off band i can't remember at all but they did play one pretty good song.

for shame

that was Against Me! and they are an amazing, amazing band
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:01 PM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
for shame

that was Against Me! and they are an amazing, amazing band
hell yeah !!!

and DKM is much better live then green day. If for no other reason then you usually see DKM in a small venue
Old 09-06-2005, 09:01 PM   #11
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

being the conservative that I am, I cannot imagine the pain I would go through at a Green Day concert. The only time I ever wish I was a liberal is when I'm at a concert. It would just make the between song patter more tolerable.

When I went to go see Grant Lee Phillips/John Doe at the Birchmere last year, I thought they did an excellent job of conveying who they were going to vote for without turning off people of a different persuasion. They just said "It's very important that you vote in November, and I really hope my guy wins." (or something close to that)
Old 09-06-2005, 09:59 PM   #12
Flasch186
Coordinator

Cam, perhaps we can kill this thread by personally attacking one another....ready go:

YOU ARE A CONSERVATIVE ASSHAT AND I HATE YOUR MOM EXCEPT WHEN SHE MAKES THAT MEATLOAF!!!!!BITCH (YOU, not her)

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 09-06-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:32 PM   #13
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
hell yeah !!!

and DKM is much better live then green day. If for no other reason then you usually see DKM in a small venue

Dropkick Rock my world! I can listen to just about every song with absolutely no remorse or pain! Easily my favorite band at this time. I've seen them 3 times in concert, 2 at Avalon during St. Patty's day, and once at BU's Springfest. Avalon is a small venue and Agganis Arena isn't HUGE...but it's good sized.

edit: the only real problem i had with them, had nothing at all to do with them. The "skanking" or whatever you call running around in a circle punching people in the face 'dancing' they were doing sucked major balls. I got nailed by a 6'3 280 pounder in the face. Knocked me on my ass and i had to go sit in the bleachers...not bad seats but i had to listen to Dropkick play "Dirty Water" from the bleachers...BOO!

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 09-06-2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:38 PM   #14
McSweeny
College Starter

heh heh

The Avalon isn't really all that small. They cram like 2200 people in there for those shows. I know, i know, you meant small compared to a stadium. I've grown up seeing the Murphys and if you can catch them in a smaller place than the Avalon (preferably one without a big barrier in front of the stage) by all means do it, because it will be one of the best shows you'll ever see

of course i say that about most of the shows i go to...
Old 09-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #15
McSweeny
College Starter

dola

and as foolish as it seems, it gets far easier to avoid getting beat up the more shows you go to. when i was younger and i went dancing in my first pit i got slapped around like you wouldn't believe. Now that i'm older and wiser, i can dance free from injury (for the most part). There's kind of a code of ethics or whatever in a pit, and as long as you're not stupid you'll be ok

i know that sounds foolish and all, but i'm all of 5'8" and i'll dance all night long at good shows and only be a little sore in the morning. hell, the hangover is usually far worse than any aches and pains
Old 09-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #16
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
Cam, perhaps we can kill this thread by personally attacking one another....ready go:

YOU ARE A CONSERVATIVE ASSHAT AND I HATE YOUR MOM EXCEPT WHEN SHE MAKES THAT MEATLOAF!!!!!BITCH (YOU, not her)

My wife actually made meatloaf tonight. Spooky.

And Flasch, you'd actually get along quite well with my mom. I'm the conservative black sheep of the family.

To take this back to the music, I read a review of a Green Day concert that talked a lot about the extensive pyrotechnics. Are we returning to the age of the Rock Spectacle? I'd love it if it were so.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:46 PM   #17
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

So are you a Skanker? I know i would enjoy/love every show they do if it wasn't for these "punks" flying around cracking unknowing victims. I might be just being too critical of diff. tastes but DAMN...they care about no one!
Old 09-06-2005, 10:48 PM   #18
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
My wife actually made meatloaf tonight. Spooky.

And Flasch, you'd actually get along quite well with my mom. I'm the conservative black sheep of the family.

To take this back to the music, I read a review of a Green Day concert that talked a lot about the extensive pyrotechnics. Are we returning to the age of the Rock Spectacle? I'd love it if it were so.

you read that "ever been watched" thread, mwahahahahahahahaha

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:48 PM   #19
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

dola

maybe i was just around the wrong drunk people at the wrong time. Don't want to sound like i'm an a-hole or anything, i'm fine with other ppl's choices and what have you, i just don't like getting beat down lol.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:49 PM   #20
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The review I read chided them for being a punk band that basically used every arena rock band cliche ever invented. I wouldn't know, and don't want to know.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:49 PM   #21
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
So are you a Skanker? I know i would enjoy/love every show they do if it wasn't for these "punks" flying around cracking unknowing victims. I might be just being too critical of diff. tastes but DAMN...they care about no one!

i dunno, it's not really skanking. it's just dancing. the best way not to get clobbered is to pay attention to what's going on and keep your arms braced in front of you. And it's not that they don't care for anyone, it's just that when there's loud and fast music, mixed with lots of beer shit happens. If you get knocked down someone will pick you up. You'd really be surprised at how nice the people are.

though you are talking about larger DKM shows and they tend to have a lot of meathead types who go around attempting to knock people's heads off and what not. I'm am certainly not talking about those kind of people and they generally aren't welcome at the smaller shows i tend to go to
Old 09-06-2005, 10:54 PM   #22
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
though you are talking about larger DKM shows and they tend to have a lot of meathead types who go around attempting to knock people's heads off and what not. I'm am certainly not talking about those kind of people and they generally aren't welcome at the smaller shows i tend to go to

Have they been traveling around the country for a long time now? I've always figured them as a Boston/New England band before 3-4 years ago. Now they're traveling across the country and into other countries. I've only been a fan for the past 3 years, and that's only b/c of "Tessie." Though i started listening to all their stuff and completely love everything! My favorite song is probably "the Workers Song" but it's tough to choose.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:58 PM   #23
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Have they been traveling around the country for a long time now? I've always figured them as a Boston/New England band before 3-4 years ago. Now they're traveling across the country and into other countries. I've only been a fan for the past 3 years, and that's only b/c of "Tessie." Though i started listening to all their stuff and completely love everything! My favorite song is probably "the Workers Song" but it's tough to choose.

well they've been around for about 10 years or so. They've got 5 (i think) albums out, not including the live one. They're pretty damn big in Boston and they've been touring the US since '98 or so.

but anyway, i fear i've babbled enough about Boston punk rock in a Green Day thread. I'm in the area (boston) quite often going to shows, so PM or something if you're interested in hearing about any good shows that are coming up (there are ALWAYS good shows). Come up to me at a show and say "FOFC" and i'll buy you two beers
Old 09-06-2005, 11:00 PM   #24
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Come up to me at a show and say "FOFC" and i'll buy you two beers

And if I'm 20?
lol

i definetly will PM you sometime...though it doesn't appear they're on the Beantown/Mass area tour map for a while.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:05 PM   #25
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
And if I'm 20?
lol

i definetly will PM you sometime...though it doesn't appear they're on the Beantown/Mass area tour map for a while.

ok ok ok, one last DKM post

they're doing a tour this fall/winter with Big D and the Kids Table and Far From Finished.

and you should mark 10-22 on your calendar. Head down to TT The Bear's in Cambridge to see the Ducky Boys. If you like DKM, you will certainly like the Ducky Boys . Plus it'll be much cheaper and a far smaller crowd
Old 09-07-2005, 06:48 AM   #26
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Billy Joe called 3 kids up from the standing room section in front of the stage. At first he says, "I need a fuckin drummer! All i need is the kid to play 3 beats/notes" he then goes on to call out 2 more kids, one for base and one for guitar. There was much entertainment involved in the choosing and once selected the 3 kids played their three or so notes and Billy Joe finished the song. At the end, Billy Joe called the guitarist back out there and gave him his guitar. Then he called the drummer back out, and told him to do a huge stage dive. Bassist as far as i could tell didn't get anything (though i imagine they all got back stage passes and what not).

Sorry just another good part of the concert i remembered.

P.s. Jimmy Eat world was the second band to play if anyone cares....i really only know the two big songs they play...and i can't even recall the names now. the lead off band i can't remember at all but they did play one pretty good song.

This is something Greenday has done (as far as I know at every show) for about 6 or 7 years now... It's pretty cool how they bring kids up, but it's lacking it's surprise anymore as far as i'm concerned ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:50 AM   #27
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I had no idea they did that normally, i think that's pretty freakin cool. Though if I knew about it before the concert i probably wouldn't have been as thrilled.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:54 AM   #28
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I had no idea they did that normally, i think that's pretty freakin cool. Though if I knew about it before the concert i probably wouldn't have been as thrilled.

Ditto.. don't get me wrong, it's cool... but at this point I think it would be nice if instead of pulling someone up and teaching them basic chords real quick, they try to pull someone that can actually play and jam or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:05 AM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I agree with everything McSweeny said. I find there are alot less jerk off's at the 21 and over shows. 99% of the people are coll and I usually have bruises under my bicepts from being picked up so many times, but like anything else there will always be that asshole.

And I agree with the Ducky Boys, they opened up one of the St Paddy's shows and were great.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #30
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Seen them 2 or 3 times (once with Blink and another time with Sugarcult and New Found Glory, who surprisingly sucks in concert) and they are absolutely awesome. I love Green day and they definitely perform well in concert.