Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-05-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

NCAA and mascots, part XXVII

This is hard to believe. At what point does political correctness end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The University of Miami is the latest school to feel the wrath of the NCAA's mascot police force. The NCAA, on Tuesday morning, is set to add Miami's hurricane logo and mascot to its list of offensive nicknames.

"In the aftermath of Katrina, it's the only thing we could do," said NCAA Director of Sensitivity Malcolm Davison-Davis. "Tens of thousands of people were just slaughtered by an out-of-control hurricane. What does it say when a football team trivializes their deaths by calling itself the Hurricanes?"

Recently, the NCAA made headlines by outlawing the Native American-based nicknames of 18 schools. Those schools would not be able to use their mascots or show their nicknames and logos during an NCAA-sponsored tournament.

Utah, which is represented by the Ute indian tribe, and Florida State, represented by the Seminole tribe, successfully appealed the decision when they demonstrated tribal support for their nicknames.

"We don't want to appear overbearing or oversensitive," Davison-Davis said. "But we have to protect those who can't protect themselves."

Miami athletic director Paul Dee was outraged when he heard the news Monday evening.

"I just can't believe this," he yelled. "Who in their right mind would be offended by a hurricane? It's like being offended by Santa Claus or by a bowl of freaking clam chowder."

Dee said he already had lawyers looking into appealing the NCAA decision, but the outlook appeared bleak.

Hurricane relief groups across the country applauded the NCAA decision.

"It's about time the NCAA stood up for human decency," said Bunnybeth Carlson, director of Mississippi's Project Blowback, which provides services for hurricane refugees. Would they name a team 'the Carjackers' or 'the AK 47s?' I don't think so. Yet a hurricane has the power to kill thousands of people all at once."

Starting with the NCAA basketball tournament next spring, Miami will be required to remove all traces of the hurricane logo or name from its uniforms and its arenas. Fans entering the building wearing these products will be asked to turn their tee-shirts inside out, or change clothing.

"This is a long time coming," said Louise Mercator, who is living with her family in a Baton Rouge shelter after her house in Kenner, Louisiana was destroyed last week by Hurricane Katrina. "Every time I hear about Miami football, I'm reminded of the tragedy of losing my home."

Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:14 PM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

ummm WTF
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

This is from the onion, right? If not than I am fucking ashamed to be an American.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:20 PM   #4
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I thought this was Labor Day? Did I fall asleep last night and wake up in April?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:23 PM   #5
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

After re-reading some of the names in the article either Jim is putting us on or he got this from someplace like the onion. (Or option #3 is I am even more ashamed to be an American)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:23 PM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Stop fooling around and get back to work!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:26 PM   #7
Swaggs
Coordinator

Wow. Imagine where this could go.

St. John Red Storm might have to change its name again. Colorado Avalanche and Carolina Hurricanes could have to go the same way as Miami. The Fighting Irish could be considered offensive to anyone who has lost a relative to the IRA. Any team named the Tigers could be offensive to Roy Horn.

What a waste of time.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:37 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I actually saw this coming ( so if it is a joke then I am the horses ass)

and what kind of name is bunnybeth?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:10 PM   #9
JW
College Prospect

Thursday night I watched the Political Incorrectness Bowl in Monroe. The UL-Monroe Indians, complete with Chief Brave Spirit in Native American dress on horseback, played the Northwestern (La.) State University Demons, complete with horned Demon man-in-a-costume mascot. ULM had the tomahawk chop going and some NSU fans were doing this hook-em horns type gesture that I assume was meant to signify demon horns but could have been used in some satanic ritual. The ULM ROTC detachment fired a howitzer every time ULM scored. On top of that, Lee Greenwood sang "God Bless the USA" at halftime. I kept looking to see if any of the perpetually offended were going to either run from the stadium screaming or end their pain by jumping off the top of the stadium, but I didn't see any.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:14 PM   #10
TRO
College Prospect

Tons of people are killed by Bears and I'm sure Wildcats every year, there goes half the names in NCAA.

I'm sure that Banana Slugs are really dangerous too.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:18 PM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The Presbyterian College Blue Hose are discriminating against prostitutes who use black hose. Ban 'em!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:33 AM   #12
JeeberD
General Manager

That has GOT to be a joke...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:09 AM   #13
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nothing on it on Google News, Jim

I think you been hornswoggled.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:12 AM   #14
Raiders Army
Coordinator

At first I was like okay...sounds like something the NCAA would do. After I finished reading it, there's no way that's real.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:14 AM   #15
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Google News is full of pre-Katrina articles half-joking that Miami and Iowa State should change their names given the NCAA's stance on Indian nicknames. I can't find this specific article, even as a spoof, but that's all it is. I mean, wouldn't it have come up at least once last night if it was real?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:15 AM   #16
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie

tee hee
Old 09-06-2005, 11:39 AM   #17
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie

I'm just flattered that a couple of you found it Onion-worthy.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:01 PM   #18
saldana
Pro Starter

a long lost relative of mine was killed by a crazed horned frog, so i will be filing with the ncaa to have TCU added to the list
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by story
"In the aftermath of Katrina, it's the only thing we could do," said NCAA Director of Sensitivity Malcolm Davison-Davis. "Tens of thousands of people were just slaughtered by an out-of-control hurricane. What does it say when a football team trivializes their deaths by calling itself the Hurricanes?"
This begs the question "Is there such a thing as a non-out-of-control hurricane?"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-06-2005 at 12:16 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #20
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Joker
NCAA Director of Sensitivity Malcolm Davison-Davis

I think we have the glaring evidence of spoof here. Director of sensitivity? And the hyphenated name, for a man, even more so (if not a nod to President Garcia-Thompson).
Old 09-06-2005, 03:00 PM   #21
sabotai
General Manager

I did find this from Google News though.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/spor...=53009&ntpid=3

"Not to ride this pony into the dust, but if the NCAA were to poll the masses on team nicknames, it might find that the most offensive one was displayed on national TV Monday night, and it wasn't the Seminoles of Florida State. Given the unprecedented misery in the Gulf Coast states, the Hurricanes of Miami (Fla.) are in an offensive class by themselves. ..."
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:08 PM   #22
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
And the hyphenated name, for a man, even more so (if not a nod to President Garcia-Thompson).

We've got our own male with a hyphenated name (same last initials as well) here on FOFC...

Old 09-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #23
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
We've got our own male with a hyphenated name (same last initials as well) here on FOFC...

Who?
Old 09-06-2005, 03:42 PM   #24
JeeberD
General Manager

Is was wrong about the last initials being the same, but Draft Dodger has a hyphenated last name. If I remember correctly, he and his wife decided to combine their last names when they got married...

Old 09-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #25
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Maybe we can just have all colleges pick a number out of a hat and have that be its sports teams new nicknames. Be like 'Miami 23s vs the Notre Dame Fighting 101s!" That should do the trick.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:41 PM   #26
Klinglerware
College Starter

Of course, we can just de-emphasize intercollegiate athletics altogether. Very few of those programs make any money and most take away too many admissions slots anyway!
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:07 PM   #27
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Maybe we can just have all colleges pick a number out of a hat and have that be its sports teams new nicknames. Be like 'Miami 23s vs the Notre Dame Fighting 101s!" That should do the trick.

I'm offended by the USC 69's.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:50 PM   #28
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I nominate the Akron Zips as the next NCAA team name to ban. The fleshy part of my sack screams out in remembered agony every time I see this team play on TV.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:53 PM   #29
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Jim, you better be careful or else John Galt will report you for trolling.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:55 PM   #30
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Jim, you better be careful or else John Galt will report you for trolling.

Huh?
Old 09-06-2005, 07:24 PM   #31
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
Huh?

I didn't get that one either.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote