Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-28-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Prison Break on Fox Monday Night

2 hour premire

Looks like its getting good reviews from the critics that preview it already.

if your a big Fan of the show "24" you will probably will like it.

jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't know what it is, but the whole idea of this show leaves me absolutely uninterested every time I see/read something about it. I guess it's probably because I'm just not interested in 99% of evolving storyline TV shows anymore.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:33 PM   #3
Joe
Pro Starter

i think it looks bad. would probably make for a decent movie though
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:39 PM   #4
timmynausea
College Starter

I think it looks terrible. I actually am annoyed by the commercials and etc.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:04 PM   #5
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Watch the first four and a half minutes from the two-hour premiere of FOX's 'Prison Break.

http://tv.yahoo.com/feature/prisonbreak.html
Old 08-29-2005, 01:47 AM   #6
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Does anyone know what kind of link this has to 24? I don't understand how some guys plotting a prison break is anything like 24, but maybe I'm missing something.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:08 AM   #7
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Does anyone know what kind of link this has to 24? I don't understand how some guys plotting a prison break is anything like 24, but maybe I'm missing something.
It's a serialized drama in the sense that this first season is supposed to be about breaking out. And possibly next season is about them being on the lam trying to clear his brother. I think just about the only thing that it has in common with 24 is that it's on fox. Otherwise, it's nothing like it.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:11 AM   #8
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I don't know what it is, but the whole idea of this show leaves me absolutely uninterested every time I see/read something about it. I guess it's probably because I'm just not interested in 99% of evolving storyline TV shows anymore.
It's filmed in Joliet, IL, about 20 minutes from where I live, so I might give the first episode a watch. That being said, it was orginally filmed back in 2003, and fox originally said no to the show until they re-shot it, and now, supposedly, has gotten the highest "test scores" of any show they have aired, including 24 and Simpsons.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:13 AM   #9
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
It's filmed in Joliet, IL, about 20 minutes from where I live, so I might give the first episode a watch. That being said, it was orginally filmed back in 2003, and fox originally said no to the show until they re-shot it, and now, supposedly, has gotten the highest "test scores" of any show they have aired, including 24 and Simpsons.

The way I read it, it was originally pitched in 2003, but never shot. At one point between now and then it was going to be a mini-series and Bruce Willis and Steven Spielberg had both expressed interest but it never happened.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:35 AM   #10
Ksyrup

There's another new show that has more of a connection to 24, but I can't think of the name. It's the one that follows a group of late-80's high school graduates from that point, year-by-year, to the present, to solve a murder in present day. Apparently we see what's going on now, and it's a "whodunit" from 1987 or so through the present, with each year being an episode.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-29-2005, 06:37 AM   #11
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
There's another new show that has more of a connection to 24, but I can't think of the name. It's the one that follows a group of late-80's high school graduates from that point, year-by-year, to the present, to solve a murder in present day. Apparently we see what's going on now, and it's a "whodunit" from 1987 or so through the present, with each year being an episode.
Reunion, I think.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:41 AM   #12
Ksyrup

Yeah, I think that's the name. Sounds decent, but I just don't see watching it. I'm sure to miss several episodes and not have time to watch them in order, even if I tape them. Again, the evolving storyline thing just doesn't fit with my TV viewing habits these days.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:49 AM   #13
Joe
Pro Starter

how does that work? will it go into the future after 18 episodes? well, it will probably be cancelled well before then, but still...
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:55 AM   #14
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

It sounds like a mix between Twin Peaks and 90210.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 07:54 AM   #15
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I am a huge fan of 24. Reunion looks like it might be decent, as does Prison break. Really seems like FOX is pulling out all the stops to be on top this season (although they still keep stalling with The Inside, those fuckers, that is a good show they need to bring back)
Old 08-29-2005, 02:41 PM   #16
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
The way I read it, it was originally pitched in 2003, but never shot. At one point between now and then it was going to be a mini-series and Bruce Willis and Steven Spielberg had both expressed interest but it never happened.
No, it was shot in 2003, then picked up and started shooting again in the spring.

Edit: It look slike it was filmed in December of 2004.

Last edited by dervack : 08-29-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #17
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Speaking of 24, it is finally coming to syndication. Yay for that!

Although not like it matters, I have all the seasons on DVD...

Am I obsessed? ...yes.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:51 PM   #18
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic

2 hour premire

Looks like its getting good reviews from the critics that preview it already.

if your a big Fan of the show "24" you will probably will like it.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21118

According to the blurbs cited in the link above, the show has been mostly ravaged by critics. I will probably pass. I watch more than my share of hour long dramas nowadays. Not sure if I will adopt any new shows this year or not. I may give "Bones" a shot, simply due to my loyalty to David Boreanaz.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:52 PM   #19
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
i think it looks bad. would probably make for a decent movie though

It did...

Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 03:38 PM   #20
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
No, it was shot in 2003, then picked up and started shooting again in the spring.

Edit: It look slike it was filmed in December of 2004.

Yeah the idea had been around at Fox in various forms, but they didn't order a pilot for over a year. I read an article about it in Entertainment Weekly that mentioned that along with the Bruce Willis thing. I still think the show looks shitty, though.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:48 PM   #21
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I also find the endless promotion of this show to be annoying. You can't watch any fox network for more then 30 seconds without it being crammed down your throat. I pisses me off. I'de rather see commercials for KY warming lubricant.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:48 PM   #22
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
I'de rather see commercials for KY warming lubricant.

You rang?

Oh wait, that's my cousin.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:53 PM   #23
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
I also find the endless promotion of this show to be annoying. You can't watch any fox network for more then 30 seconds without it being crammed down your throat. I pisses me off. I'de rather see commercials for KY warming lubricant.

that commercial is a joke. She's got the look of a dog in heet and he gets one on for rubbing her shoulders with it?!?!?

I've used KY before. If that girl on the commercial knew what I did with it, she wouldn't have her husband rubbing her shoulders.

Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 07:24 PM   #24
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You know, I haven't seen a single commercial for it. Then again, I don't watch network tv much inbetween seasons. That said, saw the thread on here and decided to check it out tonight since there was nothing else on. Looks decent so far...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:05 AM   #25
KevinNU7
College Starter

Was pretty good IMO

I like the fact that his plan isn't working perfectly. And I like all three ladies on the show.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:46 AM   #26
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Looks like a pretty good show. At least there will be a payoff sometime down the road. Unlike Lost, I like this show from the get-go. I'll probably give Lost another season, but if it's anything like the finale, I'll stop watching.

The two episodes they showed last night were really different. In the first episode, everything seemed to be going right for him. In the second episode, everything went to hell...and it looks like he's going to lose a toe.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:44 PM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think the show's quality will hinge on how long they take to get to the actual prison break. If they hem and haw and don't get around to it for 20 episodes, then the prison stuff is going to get tiring after a while. It's a limited environment for plots as you can only go to the "race riot" or "prison rape threat" or "generic evil guard" card so many times.

SI

Old 08-30-2005, 03:11 PM   #28
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I think the show's quality will hinge on how long they take to get to the actual prison break. If they hem and haw and don't get around to it for 20 episodes, then the prison stuff is going to get tiring after a while. It's a limited environment for plots as you can only go to the "race riot" or "prison rape threat" or "generic evil guard" card so many times.

SI
True. I thought they shot their wad with the first two episodes. It'll be interesting to see how they're going to drag it out...or if they do so at all.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:13 PM   #29
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i dont see how they can do many epsiodes.

there a deadline before he gets the death penalty. i think its like 1-2 months away.

so there a race of time to break out and prove his innocent.

Last edited by jbmagic : 08-30-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:31 PM   #30
KevinNU7
College Starter

Well there's no race to prove his innocence. They only have 1-2 to break him out. That could easily be at midway through the season.

Also, it should be noted that the show looks like it might be 24's timeslot and 24 starts in January so this show shouldn't have too main episodes in season 1
Old 08-30-2005, 03:38 PM   #31
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
Well there's no race to prove his innocence. They only have 1-2 to break him out. That could easily be at midway through the season.

Also, it should be noted that the show looks like it might be 24's timeslot and 24 starts in January so this show shouldn't have too main episodes in season 1

true

than the title will be misleading if they still call it Prision Break
Old 09-09-2005, 12:42 PM   #32
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Anybody still watching this series?

the first two episodes has been great so far.

its a good show to watch until 24 comes back in January.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:52 PM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I've seen all of them so far (I think it's technically 3 eps since the first week was 2). The one thing that concerns me, as I said above- you can only go to the prison-is-cruel-and-we'll-shock-you-about-it well so many times before people get numb to it. I guess there if there is a second thing which bugs me, it's that except for the main guy, pretty much every other character in the show is unlikable. That said, it's a fun drama so far.

SI

Old 09-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #34
JasonC23
High School Varsity

I almost like this show a lot. Almost. I've seen all 3 episodes, and it's amazing how each one has gotten me so close to really liking the show, only to somehow remind me that yeah, this is OK and all, but if I never saw it again, I'd live.

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

The moment that stands out to me as an illustration of what keeps me from really liking this show is the ending of the third episode. OK, so he needs his cell mate's participation, got it. I've enjoyed learning about the cell mate and understood why the cell phone test was administered. I also understand why the guy freaked and requested to be transferred. I also even grant that the mean ol' guard drops the mental patient in his room. But this is what gets me--OK, so with a freaky mental patient cell mate, he's going to have to execute his escape plan while the cell mate is asleep. So what do we learn right at the end of the episode? The new cell mate's mental condition means he never sleeps.

So the one guy in all the world who physically can't sleep ends up in his room. Yeah, OK.

I'm willing to grant creative license to shows if they've sucked me in with captivating characters, plots, etc, but Prison Break keeps pushing that creative license so close to the edge that I wince and lose suspension of disbelief too often. Take the lawyer--she invites the skittish witness to her office because she says she can protect her there. The skittish witness leaves for a smoke break. What could possibly happen next??

The show is so close to being really good that I'll keep watching, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:44 PM   #35
kingfc22
Head Coach

I've watched all the episodes so far and have enjoyed them. Of course, he says he can NOT be behind or else his plan will not work and now he is soemthing like 3 days behind and his new cellmate doesn't sleep. What else is going to go wrong with this plan?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:25 PM   #36
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
I've watched all the episodes so far and have enjoyed them. Of course, he says he can NOT be behind or else his plan will not work and now he is soemthing like 3 days behind and his new cellmate doesn't sleep. What else is going to go wrong with this plan?
well, he could get some more toes cut off.

Yeah, I didn't realize his brother was John Doe. I thought that show was pretty good while it was on.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:52 AM   #37
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
well, he could get some more toes cut off.

Yeah, I didn't realize his brother was John Doe. I thought that show was pretty good while it was on.

John Doe was a cool show. Too bad FOX always cancels their good shows.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:08 PM   #38
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Good one this week. Was quite pleased by the episode. A couple of solid answers, a few more good questions opened up. That's how a serialized show should be.

SI

Old 09-19-2005, 09:10 PM   #39
Easy Mac

Its not an atrocious show, and there's nothing else on Monday worth watching. Its definitely watchable, but put me under the list of people who wish John Doe was still on.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:14 PM   #40
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Kindof the boat I'm in. It's above average so I'll keep watching it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got displaced in my schedule after I see how things turn out at the end of this year. Tho, I suppose the original Fugitive lasted 4 years.

I learned my lesson from 24- I was seriously considering dropping it after the first year since it was a show that really only lent itself to one year before running out of material. But I went ahead and watched season 2, which was blah and subsequent season, just by looking at commericals, look even worse.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-19-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:58 PM   #41
kingfc22
Head Coach

I enjoyed tonight's episode. What did his attorney say while in her room with the tape? I must have missed that part.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:05 AM   #42
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I enjoyed tonight's episode. What did his attorney say while in her room with the tape? I must have missed that part.

So did I. I was wondering about that, too- I wasn't paying too close of attention to that scene since I was working on dinner. Hopefully they'll reshow it next week during the "last time on..." part.

SI

Old 09-20-2005, 07:11 AM   #43
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
You mean in the previews for next week? I don't think we've seen it yet...or I don't remember.

It was awesome how he arranged for the "prison break" to time the cops. It's gonna be Fitz.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:04 PM   #44
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
It was awesome how he arranged for the "prison break" to time the cops. It's gonna be Fitz.

Yea, the whole time I thought he was talking about which guard to take out.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:59 PM   #45
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You mean in the previews for next week? I don't think we've seen it yet...or I don't remember.

No, the little dramatic thing that we were supposed to pick up so we knew why the girl thought the dorky lawyer guy was dirty.

SI

Old 09-27-2005, 02:00 AM   #46
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Riots are always entertaining.

I wish they threw that redneck prisoner over the edge.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:32 AM   #47
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Riots are always entertaining.

I wish they threw that redneck prisoner over the edge.
The inbred guy? He's pretty hateable.

I think this show is the best one on TV. Every time they go into the wall, I get nervous. There was a lot of suspense tonight and it was nicely paced. This is a much better show than Lost.

One thing that cracked me up at the end was the "TO BE CONTINUED..." Hell, isn't every show to be continued?
Old 09-27-2005, 05:52 AM   #48
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The inbred guy? He's pretty hateable.

Yeah, him. Kill him and keep the guard alive. You've saved the guard from being raped and getting killed, so maybe he won't tell about the hole in wall.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:29 PM   #49
kingfc22
Head Coach

RA - not sure if this is better than Lost, but I will agree that I'm on the edge of my chair every time he goes into the wall.

And please, don't let the in-bred guy escape with them.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:45 PM   #50
kingfc22
Head Coach

In-bred guy has to be one of the best bad guys on network TV that I've seen in a long time. He just pisses me off every episode.

I thought this past episode was "eh".