Coordinator

PING: JeeberD

Looks like UTEP's Adrian Ward has a chance of making the Vikings roster

http://www.kfan.com/vikings/camp2005/roster/warda.html

Seventh-round pick Ward making plays
Last Updated:8/11/2005

Anthony Maggio
KFAN dot com

Hear Vikings coaches yell the name Adrian Ward and it probably means one thing: the rookie has done something right again.

Minnesota used its last pick of this year's draft (219th overall, seventh round) on the cornerback from UTEP and so far, it looks like a good move. Ward has virtually locked himself into a roster spot thanks to his quick learning ability and his knack for being around the ball.

"Adrian's got excellent quickness and good speed down the field," coverage coordinator Chuck Knox, Jr., said. "He did a nice job in college and we felt like he'd have a good chance to make our football team just because he's a good athlete and he's got good cover corner skills."

Ward's also gotten extra opportunities to show his wares in Mankato, as Fred Smoot and Brian Williams have sat out significant time with injuries. As a result, Ward has gone up against the first and second team offenses in practice and held his own.

The only play Ward didn't make was in Friday morning's practice when he broke on a Daunte Culpepper pass to Nate Burleson. Ward got his hands on the ball, but couldn't haul it in. Meanwhile, Burleson managed to stay in bounds and corral the tipped pass.

Defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell said afterwards his defensive backs need to catch those balls this season, but overall he's been nothing but impressed with Ward.

"He looks like a real good man-to-man cover guy," Cottrell said. "He's displaying the skills we thought he had. There are some rookie mistakes, but he's displayed some talent. When he's had the chance to make the play he's more than often made it."

While Ward's playmaking is recognized on the field, he can be recognized off the field by his red-tipped dreadlocks and near perma-smile.

"I'm learning new schemes, it's different than college," Ward said. "But everything is starting to come along good. I'm starting to learn stuff so I'm feeling more comfortable."

Also helping Ward feel more comfortable are the veterans around him.

"Any time you have a good, veteran group like we do…you can learn from those guys," Knox said. "He can pick their brain about certain nuances in the game he's not used to seeing because he's a rookie."

But while Ward is learning the pro game, he's also trying to make his presence felt on special teams. With a deep veteran core at cornerback, Ward will have to make an impact on special teams before he gets into the defensive backfield.

And Ward doesn't seem to have any problem with that.

"At corner we've got a lot of guys that are good," Ward said. "Special teams is where I'll have to make my mark. It's all about hustle and heart. That's pretty much how you have to approach it."

It's the same hustle and heart Ward has shown in his play on defense. As a result, Ward has made plenty of plays. And as Ward said: "Making plays is always a positive thing."

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:16 AM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Awesome news, thanks.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote