Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-08-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
Karim
College Starter

NHL reinstates Todd Bertuzzi

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/08/232342.html

13 games and a playoff series for attempted murder. Nice.

Last edited by Karim : 08-08-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
Karim
College Starter

Moore not ready to play...
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...64089-sun.html
Old 08-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
Galaxy
Coordinator

The sad thing is, no one will likely remember with the lockout.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #4
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
The sad thing is, no one will likely remember with the lockout.

True enough. That's kind of what I wanted to guage so I started a new topic instead of burying it in the NHL thread.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:33 PM   #5
Ryan S
Quarterback

This is a good move by the NHL. It avoids the Bertuzzi incident getting tons of media attention during the season whenever his suspension ended. The NHL needs nothing but good publicity once the games start again.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:34 PM   #6
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim

Attempted murder? Let's be reasonable here. I'm not saying the penalty is too light or too harsh, just commenting that your langauge isn't an accurate representation.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Attempted murder? Let's be reasonable here. I'm not saying the penalty is too light or too harsh, just commenting that your langauge isn't an accurate representation.
I agree. I am in no way advocating what he did, but to call it attempted murder is a little much
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #8
Flasch186
Coordinator

What is this "hockey" you speak of?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:21 PM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S
This is a good move by the NHL. It avoids the Bertuzzi incident getting tons of media attention during the season whenever his suspension ended. The NHL needs nothing but good publicity once the games start again.

This was my thought exactly. You have the big announcement, CBA is signed. You have the draft. You have the big week of free agent madness. things are dying down a bit so you slip the Bertuzzi is back thing in. It's done. You don't have to make some new ruling about how many games there are to go. Then, when he is actually re-instated, you bring it up again. More clips of the attack. It's bad all around. From a marketing/NHL perspective this is the best move.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:16 PM   #10
Johnny93g
College Starter

this is bs....he missed the same season everyone missed, thats not punishment....bertuzzi will always be an asshole in my book
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:20 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Works for me, I always felt like the suspension was too stiff in the first place.

That said, I think the NHL counting last season toward the original penalty is fairly bogus math on their part.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:37 PM   #12
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

total bullshit. he never served his full suspension.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #13
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr
total bullshit. he never served his full suspension.

How do you mean? He was suspended indefinitely.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:41 PM   #14
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S

...until the next time he attacks?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:41 PM   #15
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
...until the next time he attacks?

Certainly, he's not stupid enough to do that kind of attack again, is he?

Is he?
Old 08-08-2005, 06:57 PM   #16
GMO
Mascot

So this is the NEW NHL!!
GMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #17
SoxWin
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Certainly, he's not stupid enough to do that kind of attack again, is he?

Is he?

Don't put anything past him. I figured he'd have learned from the 10 gamer he got for leaving the bench to defend Jovo.
SoxWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:42 PM   #18
SoxWin
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
this is bs....he missed the same season everyone missed, thats not punishment....bertuzzi will always be an asshole in my book

Well, he was suspended from playing hockey anywhere in the world last year so he didn't miss the same season everyone did. I'm still shocked he didn't get more games (figured he'd get 15 more as the Avs/Nucks face off 3 times in the first 12 games but I guess not)
Old 08-08-2005, 07:43 PM   #19
SoxWin
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

So what?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:54 PM   #20
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxWin
Well, he was suspended from playing hockey anywhere in the world last year so he didn't miss the same season everyone did. I'm still shocked he didn't get more games (figured he'd get 15 more as the Avs/Nucks face off 3 times in the first 12 games but I guess not)
Not to mention he didn't get to play in the World Cup.

So he lost 20 games, about a million bucks, cost his team a shot at the Stanley Cup, missed the World Cup, had to humliate himself on national TV with that apology routine, had to defend himself against criminal charges, lost his reputation among hockey fans, and became a household name among non-hockey fans as a thug. Oh, and Moore's lawyer is practically wetting himself over the upcoming civil suit. All that for a sucker punch.

But he got off easy... the only fair thing to do would be to hang him in town square.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:58 PM   #21
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Not to mention he didn't get to play in the World Cup.

So he lost 20 games, about a million bucks, cost his team a shot at the Stanley Cup, missed the World Cup, had to humliate himself on national TV with that apology routine, had to defend himself against criminal charges, lost his reputation among hockey fans, and became a household name among non-hockey fans as a thug. Oh, and Moore's lawyer is practically wetting himself over the upcoming civil suit. All that for a sucker punch.

But he got off easy... the only fair thing to do would be to hang him in town square.

dont have to hang him, just give him another 50 NHL games. I have no sympathy for anything he's gone through.
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 08-08-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:08 PM   #22
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
dont have to hang him, just give him another 50 NHL games. I have no sympathy for anything he's gone through.
You've changed, man... ever since you and Draft Dodger hooked up in that other thread, it's just not the same between us.

(Storms off, sobbing.)
Old 08-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #23
Fouts
College Starter

I don't watch hockey much, but was he the first guy to successfully slam somebody from behind?
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:24 PM   #24
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
I don't watch hockey much, but was he the first guy to successfully slam somebody from behind?

The first? No. There have been plenty other successful attacks from behind in NHL history.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:46 PM   #25
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I will repeat what I've said many times in the past: if Moore doesn't get knocked out by the punch (which caused the ensuing collapse of both players to the ice and the broken neck), Bert gets a game misconduct and *maybe* a small suspension, and only because he was a repeat offender.

Punches from behind happen multiple times per season (or at least used to, it's likely to stop for awhile now). As usual, everyone reacts based on the outcome of something not the action itself.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:09 PM   #26
Karim
College Starter

Quote:

Fair enough. Is pre-meditated intent to disable better? I'm assuming a bounty on someone involves more than a punch. Obviously I'm not impressed with the NHL's decision. It goes beyond this incident though, as most of their disciplinary decisions rarely make sense.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:47 PM   #27
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:

Attempted Murder? You're joking right? I have no doubt the intent Bert had was to hurt Moore... but to say he was trying to kill him is a little out of bounds. Personally, and for those that disagree I'd like to see the reasoning, I severly doubt Bert was trying to hurt Steve as bad as he did. I'm not defending what he did, and I'm not defending the lack of punishment... but I find it ludacris that people are making it out that Bertuzzi wanted to either murder Steve Moore, end his career, or parlize him... in my eyes he meant to ruff him up, and it went to far.

And to make this situation out to be the worst in NHL history is rather shortsighted... there's been many instinces worse than this going back to the "glory days" of the NHL.

All that aside I think the NHL completly mis-handled this incident. IMO the suspension should have been extended an extra 20-30 games... no more, no less. And to add to that they should have handed that sentence, out months ago... long before a new CBA was reached. Why? Because the backlash they were going to get from this... because you know some would have a problem with it no matter what the NHL did... would be done and over with, and wouldn't be overshadowing the upcoming season, and the new CBA.

The NHL needs to really work on their punishments, I think we all agree on that. But IMO people are overreacting calling for Bertuzzi's head, and saying the NHL is a complete joke because of this.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:55 PM   #28
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
I will repeat what I've said many times in the past: if Moore doesn't get knocked out by the punch (which caused the ensuing collapse of both players to the ice and the broken neck), Bert gets a game misconduct and *maybe* a small suspension, and only because he was a repeat offender.

Punches from behind happen multiple times per season (or at least used to, it's likely to stop for awhile now). As usual, everyone reacts based on the outcome of something not the action itself.

Well, exactly and this is the point that a lot of us have taken throughout this entire thing and suddenly we're condoning "attempted murder". I'm sure when Bert was in the penalty box, he was thinking "I'm going to kill Moore". Wait, no, he was thinking he would rough him up, but I'm sure if he knew how it turned out, he wouldn't have done it, if not for his own self interests.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 12:18 PM   #29
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo

And if i shoot someone who doesnt die, i dont get charged with murder, whats your point
TML
Old 08-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #30
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
You've changed, man... ever since you and Draft Dodger hooked up in that other thread, it's just not the same between us.

(Storms off, sobbing.)

HAHA....when the season starts, we can start our own 2005-06 Toronto Maple Leaf thread, i can see it now, greatest thread in FOFC history
TML
Old 08-09-2005, 03:40 PM   #31
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
Attempted Murder? You're joking right? I have no doubt the intent Bert had was to hurt Moore... but to say he was trying to kill him is a little out of bounds. Personally, and for those that disagree I'd like to see the reasoning, I severly doubt Bert was trying to hurt Steve as bad as he did. I'm not defending what he did, and I'm not defending the lack of punishment... but I find it ludacris that people are making it out that Bertuzzi wanted to either murder Steve Moore, end his career, or parlize him... in my eyes he meant to ruff him up, and it went to far.

For not defending what he did, you really sound like you are defending what he did. It was an illegal hit on a defenseless player meant to cause injury. I'm sure it wasn't meant to cause as much injury as it did, but the resulting amount of injury was forseeable. A hit like that could easily knock someone out. That generally results in an unprotected fall with the potential for anyone skating right behind him to fall on him.

Quote:
And to make this situation out to be the worst in NHL history is rather shortsighted... there's been many instinces worse than this going back to the "glory days" of the NHL.

It doesn't matter if it was the worst in NHL history. It was wrong and unforgivable in and of itself.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:45 PM   #32
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
For not defending what he did, you really sound like you are defending what he did. It was an illegal hit on a defenseless player meant to cause injury. I'm sure it wasn't meant to cause as much injury as it did, but the resulting amount of injury was forseeable. A hit like that could easily knock someone out. That generally results in an unprotected fall with the potential for anyone skating right behind him to fall on him.

It GENERALLY results in that kind of fall??? That is the first time I ever saw a hockey player get knocked unconcsoius during the flow of play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 03:51 PM   #33
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It GENERALLY results in that kind of fall??? That is the first time I ever saw a hockey player get knocked unconcsoius during the flow of play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, knocking someone unconsious generally results in that kind of fall.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:01 PM   #34
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
And if i shoot someone who doesnt die, i dont get charged with murder, whats your point

Well, I don't necessarily agree with our justice system on that little rule either, but ok, point made.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:05 PM   #35
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
Yes, knocking someone unconsious generally results in that kind of fall.

Since that kind of hit rarely happens in hockey, there's no way to say what kind of fall will "generally" result.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:12 PM   #36
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Since that kind of hit rarely happens in hockey, there's no way to say what kind of fall will "generally" result.

Ok then, if a person is on ice skates and gets knocked unconsious, what kind of fall would you expect?

I would expect the fall to basically be "down", and unprotected...meaning no chance to brace the fall. I'm willing to listen to alternate theories though.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #37
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ok then, if a person is on ice skates and gets knocked unconsious, what kind of fall would you expect?

I would expect the fall to basically be "down", and unprotected...meaning no chance to brace the fall. I'm willing to listen to alternate theories though.

The alternate theory is, he went out there extremely fired up, taking a penalty that he knew he'd probably get a gamer for, and when he saw the opportunity to make the hit, he lost control and things went horribly wrong.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:32 PM   #38
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The alternate theory is, he went out there extremely fired up, taking a penalty that he knew he'd probably get a gamer for, and when he saw the opportunity to make the hit, he lost control and things went horribly wrong.

...which completely fails to address everything that I said.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:33 PM   #39
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
...which completely fails to address everything that I said.

dola

Go back and read what I wrote and then ask yourself if you are attacking what I actually wrote or just what you expected me to write.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:48 AM   #40
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
For not defending what he did, you really sound like you are defending what he did.

Well if you see everything in black & white, I guess I am. But IMO there's a difference between defending the act, and saying that people are overreacting to what happened.

Quote:
It was an illegal hit on a defenseless player meant to cause injury. I'm sure it wasn't meant to cause as much injury as it did, but the resulting amount of injury was forseeable. A hit like that could easily knock someone out. That generally results in an unprotected fall with the potential for anyone skating right behind him to fall on him.

I completely disgaree with this... the kind of hit Bertuzzi layed on Moore wasn't exactly unique. Hitting someone upside the head from behind isn't a new thing... what made this bad was the resulting fall and Bert landing on top of him. So to say Bert knew beforehand that when he hit Moore this would happen, to me is overreaching...

Quote:
It doesn't matter if it was the worst in NHL history. It was wrong and unforgivable in and of itself.

In your opinion, I see it as a error in judgement. I'm not saying we should hug the guy for what he did, I think he should be punished... and punished more than what he got. What I don't agree with is people saying he's guilty of attempted murder, and he's the most evil guy on earth and that he should never be forgiven for what he did.

If you call that defending his actions, well I guess I am.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:51 AM   #41
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:

Looking back, sure you can say that was bound to happen... taking into consideration the physicis of it. But to assume Bert thought about that in the heat of the moment, is wrong IMO.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 08-10-2005, 02:11 AM   #42
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

With some exceptions, most of the people who saw this as a some kind of attempted murder/seriously injure by Bertuzzi have neither watched much hockey let alone played it. I have played it for many years, and I am not sure I count how many times I have been hit from behind (deserved or not) and this is playing in rec leagues (and sometimes in non-contact leagues when tempers flare). I neither fell down unconscious or was seriously injured.

The simple fact is hockey is a brutal and physical game. And the punch from behind has been going on for 100 years at the professional and amateur level. Some may not like it but that is just the way it is. Unfortunately here, you had a bad combination of geometry and power which contributed to a once in a blue moon injury. Should Bertuzzi pay, yes, and he did. To ostracize him like some, no. I have no doubt that Bertuzzi had no intention of seriously hurting Moore.

Beyond anything Bertuzzi has done are the perpetrators of stick swinging (see Dino Ciccarelli, Marty McSorley, Tony Granato). These events carry a much higher degree of serious injury. Yet Bertuzzi has been singled out as being much worse than that. Too me that truly is unbelievable. Frankly, throwing a punch is nowhere near swinging a stick.

Karim, your attempted murder comment was uncalled for. If you don't like it, don't play or watch hockey. Simple as that. We won't miss you. If it means less people will care about the game or watch it fine. We'll go back to the original six teams, I'm fine with that.

Compared to the longest suspensions handed out, many of the long ones involving stick swinging:

Longest Suspensions
Dan Maloney, Detroit Red Wings, banned from playing in Toronto for 2 years, November 1975.
Marty McSorley, Boston Bruins, 23 games, February 2000.
Gordie Dwyer, Tampa Bay Lightning, 23 games, September 2000.
Dale Hunter, Washington, 21 games, May 1993.

Tom Lysiak, Chicago Blackhawks, 20 games, October 1983.
Brad May, Phoenix Coyotes, 20 games, November 2000.

Todd Bertuzzi, Vancouver Canucks, 20 games (13 regular season, 7 playoff games), March 2004.
Eddie Shore, Boston Bruins, 16 games, December 1933.
Maurice Richard, Montreal Canadiens, 15 games (3 regular season, 12 playoff games), March 1955.
Wilf Paiement, Colorado Rockies, 15 games, October 1978.
Dave Brown, Philadelphia Flyers, 15 games, November 1987.
Tony Granato, Los Angeles Kings, 15 games, February 1994.
Wayne Maki, St. Louis Blues, suspended for 30 days, September 1969.
Ted Green, Boston Bruins, 13 games, September 1969.
Andre Roy, Tampa Bay Lightning, 13 games, April 2002.
Brantt Myhres, San Jose Sharks, 12 games, February 1999.
Matt Johnson, Los Angeles Kings, 12 games, November 1998.
Ron Hextall, Philadelphia Flyers, 12 games, May 1989.
David Shaw, New York Rangers, 12 games, October 1988.
Owen Nolan, San Jose Sharks, 11 games, February 2001.
Tie Domi, Toronto Maple Leafs, 11 games (3 playoff games, 8 regular season games), Game 4 of the 2001 Eastern Conference semifinals.
Jimmy Mann, Winnipeg Jets, 10 games, January 1982.
Ruslan Salei, Anaheim Mighty Ducks, 10 games, October 1999.
Scott Niedermayer, New Jersey Devils, 10 games, March 2000.

You will see that Betuzzi is at the high end of the scale. Throw in a lost season in Europe and endorsements that are available today, and like Bettman said in his ruling (although I would guess most critics here haven't even read it), Bertuzzi has paid enough.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 08-10-2005 at 02:21 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:01 AM   #43
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm also not saying that he should be guilty of attempted murder. I am saying that pulling someone off-balance and then punching them in the back of the head is worthy of a big punishment. I don't think he got a suspension that was too big. I could even see the argument that no time was really served during the lockout.

There was no way to know that this kind of injury would result from the hit, but there was a real chance for injury. The whole point of the hit was retaliation...to hurt the guy some and send a message. I've never understood the mentality that it is ok to go out with the intention of hurting someone but just a little bit. A major injury is going to result eventually, and shame on the NHL for not putting a stop to this before it happened.

Hockey is a violent sport, but at least there are rules in place to keep the violence generally under control. This kind of hit can't be allowed to happen...just like you can't be allowed to punch a NASCAR driver while he is strapped into his car, and you shouldn't be able to pull a Warren Sapp or Charles Martin move on the football field.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:41 PM   #44
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
With some exceptions, most of the people who saw this as a some kind of attempted murder/seriously injure by Bertuzzi have neither watched much hockey let alone played it. I have played it for many years, and I am not sure I count how many times I have been hit from behind (deserved or not) and this is playing in rec leagues (and sometimes in non-contact leagues when tempers flare). I neither fell down unconscious or was seriously injured.

The simple fact is hockey is a brutal and physical game. And the punch from behind has been going on for 100 years at the professional and amateur level. Some may not like it but that is just the way it is. Unfortunately here, you had a bad combination of geometry and power which contributed to a once in a blue moon injury. Should Bertuzzi pay, yes, and he did. To ostracize him like some, no. I have no doubt that Bertuzzi had no intention of seriously hurting Moore.

Beyond anything Bertuzzi has done are the perpetrators of stick swinging (see Dino Ciccarelli, Marty McSorley, Tony Granato). These events carry a much higher degree of serious injury. Yet Bertuzzi has been singled out as being much worse than that. Too me that truly is unbelievable. Frankly, throwing a punch is nowhere near swinging a stick.

Karim, your attempted murder comment was uncalled for. If you don't like it, don't play or watch hockey. Simple as that. We won't miss you. If it means less people will care about the game or watch it fine. We'll go back to the original six teams, I'm fine with that.

Compared to the longest suspensions handed out, many of the long ones involving stick swinging:

Longest Suspensions
Dan Maloney, Detroit Red Wings, banned from playing in Toronto for 2 years, November 1975.
Marty McSorley, Boston Bruins, 23 games, February 2000.
Gordie Dwyer, Tampa Bay Lightning, 23 games, September 2000.
Dale Hunter, Washington, 21 games, May 1993.

Tom Lysiak, Chicago Blackhawks, 20 games, October 1983.
Brad May, Phoenix Coyotes, 20 games, November 2000.

Todd Bertuzzi, Vancouver Canucks, 20 games (13 regular season, 7 playoff games), March 2004.
Eddie Shore, Boston Bruins, 16 games, December 1933.
Maurice Richard, Montreal Canadiens, 15 games (3 regular season, 12 playoff games), March 1955.
Wilf Paiement, Colorado Rockies, 15 games, October 1978.
Dave Brown, Philadelphia Flyers, 15 games, November 1987.
Tony Granato, Los Angeles Kings, 15 games, February 1994.
Wayne Maki, St. Louis Blues, suspended for 30 days, September 1969.
Ted Green, Boston Bruins, 13 games, September 1969.
Andre Roy, Tampa Bay Lightning, 13 games, April 2002.
Brantt Myhres, San Jose Sharks, 12 games, February 1999.
Matt Johnson, Los Angeles Kings, 12 games, November 1998.
Ron Hextall, Philadelphia Flyers, 12 games, May 1989.
David Shaw, New York Rangers, 12 games, October 1988.
Owen Nolan, San Jose Sharks, 11 games, February 2001.
Tie Domi, Toronto Maple Leafs, 11 games (3 playoff games, 8 regular season games), Game 4 of the 2001 Eastern Conference semifinals.
Jimmy Mann, Winnipeg Jets, 10 games, January 1982.
Ruslan Salei, Anaheim Mighty Ducks, 10 games, October 1999.
Scott Niedermayer, New Jersey Devils, 10 games, March 2000.

You will see that Betuzzi is at the high end of the scale. Throw in a lost season in Europe and endorsements that are available today, and like Bettman said in his ruling (although I would guess most critics here haven't even read it), Bertuzzi has paid enough.

Yes, hockey is violent, but this was an attack, with bad consuquenses.......missing a season of european hockey is not punishment....

also, attacking Karim, for that comment is pretty low...no, it wasnt attempted murder, it was an attack. I think hockey could do alot better without you as a fan then Karim, who i know actually cares about the sport
TML
Old 08-10-2005, 01:05 PM   #45
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
If you don't like it, don't play or watch hockey. Simple as that. We won't miss you. If it means less people will care about the game or watch it fine. We'll go back to the original six teams, I'm fine with that.

Isn't this almost exactly what Jeremy Roenick said?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #46
bhlloy
Coordinator

Bertuzzi deserved longer certainly. Bettman is dodging the issue... I think another 10-20 games sounds about right to me. But the hand wringing about hockey amuses me sometimes. Was there really more intent to injure in the Bertuzzi incident than when Donovan Darius put his arm across Robert Ferguson's neck? How about a pitcher putting a fastball straight at a pitchers head?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:06 PM   #47
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
Bertuzzi deserved longer certainly. Bettman is dodging the issue... I think another 10-20 games sounds about right to me. But the hand wringing about hockey amuses me sometimes. Was there really more intent to injure in the Bertuzzi incident than when Donovan Darius put his arm across Robert Ferguson's neck? How about a pitcher putting a fastball straight at a pitchers head?

We have a winner!!!!
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 08-15-2005, 08:04 PM   #48
TroyF
Coordinator

I think Bertuzzi should have been suspended for life. I'm tired of the people defending his action. I don't care if it happens all the time. Someone is going to die from it. If we can make a statement now to make it stop, we need to do that.

All that said, I was pretty willing to give him a second chance. Not cheer for him. Not wish him well. Not even enjoy watching his talent. I was willing to just forgive it and move on.

Then he opened up his mouth again today. He's continues to play this off as HE'S the one with the problems. Hey, Todd, you nearly killed another human being. At the least you probably ended his hockey career. Maybe it's not a good idea to keep blabbing about how tough you and your family have had it. Maybe you shouldn't talk about your sleepless nights when the guy you sucker punched spent a year in an F'n halo.

And maybe you shouldn't talk about how poor little old you is under a microscope on TV when your mistake happened, as if it would have been less vile had we only seen Steve Moore's face after the incident.

What a scumbag. I hope Moore takes him for everything in the civil trial. The fact the NHL and the Canadian courts have the spines of slugs, maybe a civil court will make Bertuzzi truly pay for being the first class prick he is.

Romo no longer player football (thank God for that). It'll be a great day in the hockey world when this bastard stops lacing up hockey skates.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:08 PM   #49
SackAttack
Head Coach

He punched him from behind, grabbed him, and rode him down headfirst into the ice.

How anybody can look at that and come away with "Oh, it was just intent to injure" is beyond me.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:54 PM   #50
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Once again, it would be great to talk about this without the dramatics. He didn't "nearly kill" anyone. There is zero suggestion that Moore was ever in any danger of dying. He didn't have a halo, let alone for a full year. I honestly don't know it you guys are just making this up for the spectacle of it, or if you're getting such one-sided reporting in Colorado that you really think this stuff is true.

Bertuzzi did a stupid, thuggish thing and Moore suffered a serious injury. There, was that so hard? It's possible to criticize the guy without pulling hysterical facts out of the air.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 08-15-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote