Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-05-2005, 08:05 PM   #1
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Alright boyz, here we go!!! Madden 2006 First Impressions

So my friend called me today and said he "got Madden 06' from a contact." After my laughter I he says he'll be up to play it when he gets off.

So he gets here and actually has the X-Box version. Played 1 game on All-Pro. I beat him 55-7, I was the Chargers, he has the Panthers.

The passing game seems to be hit or miss. I love the new features, you pull the right trigger and push the button of the reciever you want to throw it to, this has the QB look at the reciever. You can then throw the ball to him and place it either high, low, lead them, or put it behind them with "precision passing." I found it worked well, he couldn't figure it out.

On the running game, I COULD NOT figure out how to juke. I didn't read the instructions, but couldn't for the life of me get my guy to juke. The "truck stick" worked well, but not too well. It seemed to crush DB's, but was hit or miss against linebackers. Also, it never gained me more than a few yards as by the time the animation was finished other defenders were on top of me.

Just thought I would be the first to post this, I'm going out catfishing for the night, but any more questions can be sent my way, but like I said I only played 1 game. At this point I WOULD buy the game, it seemed to be much more fun than NCAA 06 2 player.

dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
jbmagic
Pro Starter

dubb93

when you have a chance can you tell me how the running game is? does cpu teams run well and dont give up on it?

is pancakes high when playing the games out?

how is the sims stats? anything out of whack?

thanks
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
jamesUMD
High School JV

Quote:
At this point I WOULD buy the game, it seemed to be much more fun than NCAA 06 2 player

You won 55-7. Of course it was fun for you. Can your friend post and give us his impression?
Just joking! By the way I hope Catfishing is a Euphemism for clubbing/girl hunting and not fishing by the way.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:04 AM   #4
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

What is the gampeplay like? other than that game were other games played close calls?
Old 08-06-2005, 03:25 AM   #5
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesUMD
By the way I hope Catfishing is a Euphemism for clubbing/girl hunting and not fishing by the way.

No, I went out on the lake in a boat , didn't go too well tho. Only caught 3 in the whole 5 hours we were out there. On top of that we ran out of gas and had to limp back in. Like I said I only played 1 game. He took it home with him, I'll try an get some more PT with the game this weekend and see how the sim stats and the CPU plays, but I can't promise anything.

I'll also give him a call and see how they are against him, but I'm betting with how bad I killed him today I won't get a good gauge into the CPU play by asking him.

But I can say 100%, I LOVE the new passing game, and he 100% hates it, if that helps ya out any
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:47 AM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

So apparently Mad Catz is releasing some NFL-branded controllers to sort of piggyback on the Madden release.

And people will buy that hideous thing.

God bless capitalism.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 05:27 AM   #7
Emiliano
College Prospect

IGN Review
Old 08-06-2005, 06:55 AM   #8
j51
Mascot

This year seems to have the most negative round of reviews of Madden I've ever seen, even though they still give it an 8.8+ score. No one seems to like the QB flashlights, and the novelty of Superstar mode wears off as fast as RFTH. I guess with no other alternatives people are starting to realize this is virtually the same game we played 3-4 years ago.
j51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #9
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51
This year seems to have the most negative round of reviews of Madden I've ever seen, even though they still give it an 8.8+ score. No one seems to like the QB flashlights, and the novelty of Superstar mode wears off as fast as RFTH. I guess with no other alternatives people are starting to realize this is virtually the same game we played 3-4 years ago.

Yeah - I can only hope that the Coach Mode is good this year.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:56 AM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

Excellent. This will make it easier to stick by my vow not to buy Madden this year. For the first time in over a decade.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:01 AM   #11
ice4277
Pro Rookie

It just sounds to me a little complex of a way to run a passing game. I don't want to have to go through four or five button presses to pass the ball, which it sounds like is the case with this.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:10 AM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

From reading that review on IGN, it just looks like this reviewer hated the cone vision and that is what brought the review down the most. I'm fairly sure I'm going to like the cone vision, because it is going to make awareness matter. I want the passing game to be hard in franchise if I'm using a rookie QB or even a slow to learn 2nd or 3rd year QB. I think this feature is going to make that happen.

Edit: If you have a very good QB with very good awareness, there isn't going to be much difference in passing at all except for the "precision passing."

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-06-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:02 PM   #13
jbmagic
Pro Starter

the keys for me:

1) pancakes (i hope it not so high when playing like ncaa2006)
2) sim stats ( no crazy stats like qb stats in ncaa2006)
3) cpu running game.(hope they run more and dont give up on it so quickly like in the past Madden)
Old 08-06-2005, 01:05 PM   #14
jbmagic
Pro Starter

operations sports forum

are seeing rushing attempts by RB total for a sim season get around 517 attempts.

NFL record is 410. so that over 107 more attempts.

seems like that the only out of whack stats in madden 06 sim stats is the running back carries is too high.

Last edited by jbmagic : 08-06-2005 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:10 PM   #15
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
From reading that review on IGN, it just looks like this reviewer hated the cone vision and that is what brought the review down the most. I'm fairly sure I'm going to like the cone vision, because it is going to make awareness matter. I want the passing game to be hard in franchise if I'm using a rookie QB or even a slow to learn 2nd or 3rd year QB. I think this feature is going to make that happen.

Edit: If you have a very good QB with very good awareness, there isn't going to be much difference in passing at all except for the "precision passing."

I agree. I'm looking forward to the new passing model. I've watched a lot of the video clips and read the impressions from people playing it, and it seems like after a couple of games of practice, you can get used to the new passing features.

I'll give it ever chance to succeed before I turn the cone off.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #16
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
operations sports forum

are seeing rushing attempts by RB total for a sim season get around 517 attempts.

NFL record is 410. so that over 107 more attempts.

seems like that the only out of whack stats in madden 06 sim stats is the running back carries is too high.

I bet that can be fixed with coaching sliders. That is not a bad problem at all.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:14 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
Excellent. This will make it easier to stick by my vow not to buy Madden this year. For the first time in over a decade.

Yep, unless people rave about it, it's NCAA 2006 for me as my sole console football game this year. Really sucks with this EA exclusive license thing.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:16 PM   #18
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
I bet that can be fixed with coaching sliders. That is not a bad problem at all.

are we able to change the coaching sliders for computer teams and set the % for passing and run %? are we able to lock it, so they dont change it?

i dont remember every being able to do that once you start a franchise mode game.

i tought cpu teams will adjust there coaching sliders as they play in franchise mode like human team does.

Last edited by jbmagic : 08-06-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:43 PM   #19
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I like how the review is in the xbox section and he uses the ps2's controller as a way of explaining the cone vision.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #20
maximus
Banned

I may and I mean "may" buy the PC version (no console for me - they're faggoty ) but only if the coach mode is decent. Could anyone commnet on the coach mode? Also, I would like to hear about the stat tracking (is it more indepth than previous attempts) and who is the GM side of the game? Thanks.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #21
jbmagic
Pro Starter

people say the console version is better than the pc version because they take away features from the pc version.

i always bought the pc version, but might get it on the xbox this year, now that i have an xbox.

never play madden on the console, so hoping the coach mode is great on it.

the pc version, the coach mode is awesome. great also to play human via ip vs ip connection

Last edited by jbmagic : 08-06-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:51 PM   #22
maximus
Banned

The reason why I dont use consoles is because I want to put the stats into a database, which only a PC can do.

This would all be void if Jim would release another pro-football sim.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:54 PM   #23
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Maximus i hear that the coach mode will be two different ways to play it.

one is the graphic way, where you call the plays, audible, shift lines, etc and watch the play after without controlling no one, like in the past.

and one will be text only. you call the play and read the result in text only like MVP 2005 has.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:56 PM   #24
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:

one is the graphic way, where you call the plays, audible, shift lines, etc and watch the play after without controlling no one, like in the past.

and one will be text only. you call the play and read the result in text only like MVP 2005 has.

Interesting. Hopefully they'll implement it well this year.

I know that the PC Madden community does great things to the game. They make historical rosters and other mods that really enhance the game.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:59 PM   #25
maximus
Banned

Quote:

any word on how indepth the stats will be tracked? And if there will be a export option for the stats?

Last edited by maximus : 08-06-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:04 PM   #26
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
any word on how indepth the stats will be tracked? And if there will be a export option for the stats?

it sounds like it will be the same stats categories like previous Madden had.

i know on previous pc madden you can save the stats and use Excel to open them up. it saves it as .csv
Old 08-06-2005, 05:10 PM   #27
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesUMD
By the way I hope Catfishing is a Euphemism for clubbing/girl hunting and not fishing by the way.

Let me guess...you had to look up the spelling of "euphemism" in an online dictionary, and were too lazy to type it back into the post, so you copied and pasted it instead?

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:39 PM   #28
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos

Bingo. I'll probably rent it, but it seems every time they try this crap, the 1st year is awful, and then year 2 is pretty good. Madden '04 always seemed weird to me with playmaker mode, but I loved Madden '05 for some reason. I need to save my money for NHL 2k6 in 4 weeks, plus X-Men Legends 2. I've got NCAA 2006, at least to the point where I enjoy it, so that should hold me over for the rest of the year.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #29
jbmagic
Pro Starter

How many of you guys getting this game Tuesday?

seems like the excitement is not as high it was for NCAA 2006 in here.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:18 PM   #30
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

NCAA usually gets me more pumped because it's the first football game of the season.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:34 PM   #31
Ironhead
College Prospect

Will probably rent Madden, but I doubt it will be any different that any of the previous iterations and the things that irked me in the Franchise Mode. Will probably just stick with NCAA and run my Kentucky dynasty for a long time.

Last edited by Ironhead : 08-07-2005 at 03:35 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:07 PM   #32
Cuckoo
College Starter

I had been on the fence about buying it, especially since I'm broke. But it looks like, unless I read something wrong, the Circuit City here will have it for 39.99. I might pick it up.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:16 PM   #33
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

NCAA always has me more excited because it is first, but I will pick up Madden sometime just after midnight on Tuesday.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:20 PM   #34
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I'll pick it up but not this Tuesday as all the online stores has it coming out for the PC on the 17th.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #35
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Im waiting on this one. I'll pick up Dungeon Siege 2 on the 15th though, even with no info on the game.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:08 PM   #36
Emiliano
College Prospect

I've pre-ordered it at the same on-line store I bought NCAA (Tronix). If Fedex is fast as it was with NCAA, I should have the game by the 10th of August, as a birthday present.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:54 PM   #37
jamesUMD
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Let me guess...you had to look up the spelling of "euphemism" in an online dictionary, and were too lazy to type it back into the post, so you copied and pasted it instead?

Precisely. I'm usually a pretty good speller, but that one escaped me for some reason.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:02 PM   #38
FBPro
College Starter

Anyone know if the PC version is due out at the same time as the console versions?
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 11:09 PM   #39
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
Anyone know if the PC version is due out at the same time as the console versions?

I think it is due out a month or so later.

Edit: I thought it wouldn't be out til 9/17, but according to gamespot.com it will be out 8/17 for the PC.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-07-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:39 AM   #40
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I have Madden pre-ordered and was getting excited for the upcoming release date and then I fired up ESPN 2k5 yesterday - I'm going to cancel my pre-order 'cause I really don't know if Madden series will be any better than 2k5 (IMO). Has anyone ever pre-ordered a game and cancelled? I have $10.00 down and hope to get store credit when I do cancel...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:39 AM   #41
JimmyWint
Mascot

If you pre order a game and then change your mind they let you put it towards a different game. I pre ordered Madden, but I am going to switch it over to NHL 2K6...I am not going to support the Madden series any longer. Every year I buy it and every year it sits on sthe shelf after I play it a few times. I think I may end up getting it as soon as the price drops to like $20 or so for a used game.
JimmyWint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:58 AM   #42
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Interesting, the IGN guy blasts the QB cone system, then makes it sound like it's a sin to turn it off since it's one of the new features.

Sounds like I'll try it, and if I don't like it, I'll turn it off. Be like playing 05 again.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:22 AM   #43
Hoya1
High School JV

I"ve got a copy. It pays to know people. I messed around with it a little yesterday. There is an option to do a sim which, I think may be similar to NBA2k5 where you adjust sliders and change how many touches guys get. I'll verify this tonight. I played as the Bills, and the cone is decent. It may take some getting used to. I'm sure JP Losman's cone wasn't that big. Tony Bruno is still on. They offer a gameplanning section before each game. This is were they identify a certain play, and show a play to counter act what the team is doing. You have the option to practice these as well.
I played about half a game last night. I was only on pro level. I was able to run pretty good with WIllis Mcgahee. My passing was OK. I did struggle a little in this dept. I blame this on adjusting to the cone. You do have the option to go without the cone.
I think I'll try all pro tonight and let guys know
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:24 AM   #44
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

I'm going to wait for the PC version. The local Gamestop said they are not expecting it till the 18th.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:31 AM   #45
hukarez
College Starter

I understand some folks are holding out for the Xbox 360 version of Madden, though, I'm not quite so sure if there'll be any changes aside from graphics in that iteration.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:32 AM   #46
jbmagic
Pro Starter

will the pc version have features missings from it?
Old 08-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #47
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

For two reasons, I'm not getting Madden yet. First, I'm unemployed (even though I bought Outlaw Tennis and Supreme Ruler 2010 yesterday). Second, I haven't even touched NCAA in three weeks, so I'm sure not going to try to get myself into another football game right now. There's nothing wrong with NCAA. I was just moving across the country, so it took away from my game time. I'll probably get Madden within a week after I get my first paycheck from whatever my job will be. Until then, Outlaw Tennis, anyone?
Old 08-08-2005, 09:36 PM   #48
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well, this may be a bit sad, but I took a nap so I could stay up and play some Madden after it goes on sale at midnight tonight. I'll probably wait at least a day or two before posting some initial thoughts, but I look forward to playing for at least two or three hours starting in about 3 hours.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:06 PM   #49
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Gamespot gave it an 8.2 (which is still "great" on their scale.) The biggest detractions for them was that the cone made it hard to get passes off before the QB was sacked. Again, I like this. I want QB's with low awareness to be handicapped in comparisions to veteran highly aware QB's.

However, their bug section has me really worried. They mentioned that passing yards are being subtracted from the QB for interceptions! I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, and I'm hoping that they somehow are wrong about this. If it is true, and this isn't patched, I guess there are going to be many unhappy Madden Fans (myself included.) That would be much worse than ESPN's clipping bug last year.

Edit: They also really disliked the Super Star mode which they found to be poorly executed.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-08-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:37 PM   #50
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Gamespot gave it an 8.2 (which is still "great" on their scale.) The biggest detractions for them was that the cone made it hard to get passes off before the QB was sacked. Again, I like this. I want QB's with low awareness to be handicapped in comparisions to veteran highly aware QB's.

However, their bug section has me really worried. They mentioned that passing yards are being subtracted from the QB for interceptions! I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, and I'm hoping that they somehow are wrong about this. If it is true, and this isn't patched, I guess there are going to be many unhappy Madden Fans (myself included.) That would be much worse than ESPN's clipping bug last year.

Edit: They also really disliked the Super Star mode which they found to be poorly executed.

no worry for this bug

http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...91#post1797891