Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-05-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Ping:Eaglesfan27

Eagles' Pinkston out for the season.

Quote:
NFL.com wire reports

BETHLEHEM, Pa. (Aug. 5, 2005) -- Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Todd Pinkston ruptured an Achilles' tendon in practice Aug. 5 and is out for the season.

Pinkston injured his ankle when he was tripped up on a route down the sideline. He remained down for several minutes before limping to the medical tent. A few hours after the injury, the team said he was out for the season.

The injury is a blow to the Eagles, who aren't deep at wide receiver. Receiver Terrell Owens, day-to-day with left groin inflammation, did not practice Aug. 5.

Behind Pinkston and Owens, the team has third-year pro Greg Lewis and Billy McMullen, a third-round pick in 2003. Rookie Reggie Brown had been competing with McMullen to be the fourth receiver.

Running back Correll Buckhalter also went down with a leg injury in the morning's practice. The team said he had a bone bruise.

After practice, Buckhalter limped out of the team's workout facility and, before getting into his car, said his knee was sore.

Buckhalter missed all of last season after tearing a tendon in his right knee during the preseason. He missed all of the 2002 season after tearing a ligament in his left knee in minicam

jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Eagles' Pinkston out for the season.

Yeah, I heard this on the news on the drive home today

The only good news is that I think Greg Lewis has the potential to really step up. This will probably give him the opportunity.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:18 PM   #3
Joe
Pro Starter

I think they're better off without Stinkston.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

This can only increase Owens' demands for a new contract.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:46 PM   #5
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
This can only increase Owens' demands for a new contract.

Cause now he's gotta feed Pinkston's family too. I wonder if he is accepting donations?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:17 PM   #6
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
I think they're better off without Stinkston.

He's actually not that bad of a receiver. His biggest problem is he isn't a #1 WR, which they asked him to do a couple of years ago.

As a secondary target, he's ok. He'll average 16-18 yards a catch and grab 35+ balls a year. You can live with a WR who does that if he has a star opposite him.

I agree with Eaglesfan, this gives Lewis a shot. But I don't think Lewis is really that much different than Pinkston. He catches the ball a tad better, but he's three inches shorter and even less physical than Todd.

When it's all said and done, I think the guy helped most by this is Reggie Brown, the ex Bulldog. I think by the middle of the season, he'll be fully entrenched as the #3 guy, and if Lewis doesn't grab the chance, Brown will take over the starting spot sometime during the season.

The big downside here is if Owens decides to be a jerk and make an exit from camp or sit out everytime he has a hangnail. Say what you want about Pinkston, he's been in the system. If Owens goes down, you are looking at starters with 17 career receptions at the WR spot.

Poor WR can cripple an offense.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:36 PM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
He's actually not that bad of a receiver. His biggest problem is he isn't a #1 WR, which they asked him to do a couple of years ago.

As a secondary target, he's ok. He'll average 16-18 yards a catch and grab 35+ balls a year. You can live with a WR who does that if he has a star opposite him.

I agree with Eaglesfan, this gives Lewis a shot. But I don't think Lewis is really that much different than Pinkston. He catches the ball a tad better, but he's three inches shorter and even less physical than Todd.

When it's all said and done, I think the guy helped most by this is Reggie Brown, the ex Bulldog. I think by the middle of the season, he'll be fully entrenched as the #3 guy, and if Lewis doesn't grab the chance, Brown will take over the starting spot sometime during the season.

The big downside here is if Owens decides to be a jerk and make an exit from camp or sit out everytime he has a hangnail. Say what you want about Pinkston, he's been in the system. If Owens goes down, you are looking at starters with 17 career receptions at the WR spot.

Poor WR can cripple an offense.

That is my concern as well - If Owens goes down now, the Eagles are screwed. As far as Lewis goes, I agree that he is less physical than Todd, but I think he is faster than Todd. I actually think his speed and ability to get open deep could actually help Owens.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote