Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Presidential/Candidate history question.

Bare with me, I have to tell you what led me to my question before I ask it. Just because I have time to type it out.

As I sit here today is shock of how bad FoxNews is coming off to me today (Seems more like a conservative radio show then news), I had a thought pop into my head a few minutes ago. They were showing Bush and Supreme Court nominee Roberts walking, and Bush kepts giving that goofy grin to the camera while Roberts just continued to walk along saying a little something. That led me to the thought of "Gees, maybe they could just change places. I have more confidence in that Thompson guy then I could ever think of having in Bush."

Then, that led me to my question....Has someone ever sitting on the Supreme Court run for President, or even stepped down to run for President?

edit: had the wrong name for Roberts.

Last edited by Cringer : 08-02-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Bare with me, I have to tell you what led me to my question before I ask it. Just because I have time to type it out.

As I sit here today is shock of how bad FoxNews is coming off to me today (Seems more like a conservative radio show then news), I had a thought pop into my head a few minutes ago. They were showing Bush and Supreme Court nominee Thompson walking, and Bush kepts giving that goofy grin to the camera while Thimpson just continued to walk along saying a little something. That led me to the thought of "Gees, maybe they could just change places. I have more confidence in that Thompson guy then I could ever think of having in Bush."

Then, that led me to my question....Has someone ever sitting on the Supreme Court run for President, or even stepped down to run for President?

No, but the reverse happened. When Taft left office, he was later appointed to the Supreme Court, and in fact, became Chief Justice.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
dacman
College Benchwarmer

William Howard Taft did both -- president first, IIRC. He's the only one to actually serve in both spots.

Others may have run for both, but served in one or none.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #4
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I would say I didn't know that, but I guess that is pretty evident.

Interesting though, thanks.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:42 PM   #5
dacman
College Benchwarmer

There is really only one justice who ever did what you asked about:

http://supreme.lp.findlaw.com/suprem...es/hughes.html
Old 08-02-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
No, but the reverse happened. When Taft left office, he was later appointed to the Supreme Court, and in fact, became Chief Justice.

Interestingly, Taft had to be talked into serving as TR's (IIRC) running mate as he felt he was in line for a seat on the Court. That was his real dream and I believe the Party made a "deal" with him to get him to serve in the elected office first.

-Chas
Old 08-02-2005, 01:44 PM   #7
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer

As I sit here today is shock of how bad FoxNews is coming off to me today (Seems more like a conservative radio show then news), I had a thought pop into my head a few minutes ago. They were showing Bush and Supreme Court nominee Thompson walking, and Bush kepts giving that goofy grin to the camera while Thimpson just continued to walk along saying a little something. That led me to the thought of "Gees, maybe they could just change places. I have more confidence in that Thompson guy then I could ever think of having in Bush."

If Fox is reporting that Thompson is a Supreme Court nominee, I can see why you are upset.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:24 PM   #8
Bo Jackson's Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Maybe he's just rehearsing for a part in a new movie.
Bo Jackson's Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #9
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

My bad, John Roberts, not Thompson. Common/generic sounding last names all run together to me. I am horrible with names in general actually....