Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Whatever-Americans?

Question for you PC people: we have labels for each minority group in the United States...African-Americans, Chinese-Americans, Native Americans, etc. What if someone is visiting from a foreign country, like England and they're black? Would you call them an African-American? How would you know until they spoke like Austin Powers?

What do people in other countries call their minorities?

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:27 AM   #2
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
What if someone is visiting from a foreign country, like England and they're black? Would you call them an African-American? How would you know until they spoke like Austin Powers?

I've always wondered about this myself. Though, I've been lucky from figuring out if they're from England or not. Weird gut feeling, I guess.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I'd just call him a limey bastard like the rest of 'em.

(just kidding)
Old 07-29-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Question for you PC people: we have labels for each minority group in the United States...African-Americans, Chinese-Americans, Native Americans, etc. What if someone is visiting from a foreign country, like England and they're black? Would you call them an African-American? How would you know until they spoke like Austin Powers?

While living in Europe I caught myself doing this at times. For example, we would be talking about certain soccer players and I would say "Oh, you mean the African-American guy." I would, of course, think about it and it was stupid. While clearly of African descent, he certainly wasn't American and it's possible neither he nor any of his ancestors had never stepped foot in America.

So, I guess the answer to the question is you could refer to him as "African" or "black" (which I don't think is really Un-PC, though some would argue it is). Or if you knew what country he/she was form, by their country: Congolese guy, Senegalese guy, etc. Similar with folks from Asia. You could say the "Asian guy" or the "Chinese guy", etc.

As for Native Americans, well, they sort of always will be Native Americans no matter where you happen to meet them, no?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
Raiders Army
Coordinator

But Native Americans technically aren't native Americans. From what I remember, didn't they cross a land bridge a couple centuries before Columbus? They just got here before he did.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:36 AM   #6
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

You're not actually looking for a reasonable answer here, are you?
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
Raiders Army
Coordinator

HB's answer was good enough for me. It just seems very US-centric that we deem to call minorities in this fashion. Personally, we're supposed to be a melting pot and I think we should drop labels and just call ourselves Americans.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:38 AM   #8
MrBug708
Head Coach

I want to move north and be a Canadian
Or hang down low with the nice Australians
I don't want to be another 'I-don't-care-ican'
What are we gonna do Franco, Franco Un-American
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:38 AM   #9
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
But Native Americans technically aren't native Americans. From what I remember, didn't they cross a land bridge a couple centuries before Columbus? They just got here before he did.
Ideally I think you'd want to refer to them by their tribe.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:40 AM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Native American - A member of any of the indigenous peoples of the Western Hemisphere. The ancestors of the Native Americans are generally considered by scientists to have entered the Americas from Asia by way of the Bering Strait sometime during the late glacial epoch.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-29-2005, 10:41 AM   #11
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Couple of centuries? Errumm...there hasn't been a land bridge connecting America and Asia for a few thousand years.

As to the topic at hand, I've wondered about it myself. When I worked in a customer service department of an online retailer, I remember reading an email from a person who talked about I think twin black authors and described them as "African-Americans from Britain". It was a little silly to read that. I'm also fairly certain that there's no "Afro-British" term, as well (or at least it isn't widely used). In short, we seem to be the only nation that's really made an effort to decide our base nationality (American) isn't distinct enough and we have to append to it to further describe ourselves.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:43 AM   #12
33sherman
Mascot

fwiw, it's not just the US. The term African-Canadian is used up north.
33sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:45 AM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
HB's answer was good enough for me. It just seems very US-centric that we deem to call minorities in this fashion. Personally, we're supposed to be a melting pot and I think we should drop labels and just call ourselves Americans.

I think that's a right way to look at things, but it's all relative, no? When I was in Europe, describing someone as "that American guy" was usually enough to put into context who was I talking about, regardless of race.

But, for example, if I was talking about an American rock group, let's call them "The Band", that had four members, all male, three white, one black. And I said "You know that guy from 'The Band', the American one.' That doesn't really help anyone. Now if I said, the 'black guy' or the 'African-American guy', it would be pretty clear who I was talking about.

I don't think Chinese-American, African-American, or Whatever-American are words to describe people's nationality, but rather their ethnicity.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:54 AM   #14
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

This discussion brings to mind the point that often there is no need to differentiate. I'm not pointing fingers - I do it myself - but why are we differentiating the race of the person? Does it really have a bearing on anything?

This occurs to me most frequently when someone is telling a story and, innocently enough, says something like, "So we met Joe's friend Ray, who's black, and so on and so forth." What difference does that really make?
Old 07-29-2005, 10:59 AM   #15
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I think it's just how we are as humans. We're descriptive in our language. If you've never met someone and someone else is describing him as just "Joe's friend Ray" but left out what he looks like, you would still make some attempt to create a picture of what Ray might look like. However, if we add the qualifier that Ray's black, then we start drawing a mental picture of a black person, which is a much more accurate picture than if his skin color wasn't mentioned, in which case we could go any number of directions in our mental picturing of Ray. Such absences of details invariably lead to, "He's not at all like I pictured him."
Old 07-29-2005, 11:02 AM   #16
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I don't think Chinese-American, African-American, or Whatever-American are words to describe people's nationality, but rather their ethnicity.

My opinion here is that hyphenation is a cultural thing unique to America: the US is more ethnically diverse than most countries, so it shouldn't be surprising that ethnicities are classified the way they are.

I would also say that this whole hyphenation thing was really meant to be inclusive rather than exclusive. Immigrants were always treated with suspicion. So when an Italian immigrant, for example, was referred to as to "that Italian guy", people were still suspicious of where his loyalties lay--and it usually takes awhile for immigrants to be fully integrated into society, so it takes awhile for society to consider them "real Americans". So, the term "Italian-American" (or any other hyphen) is a way to tell a distrustful society, "hey, I'm an American, too."

Last edited by Klinglerware : 07-29-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #17
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Understood, Wolfpack, but usually it seems that we don't do so with our own race. "So we met Joe's friend Chris, who's a German-American with a mustache." Extreme example, I know, but we default to our own race.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:06 AM   #18
Anthony
Banned

i always wondered what we'd look like if a thousand years from now there were no distinct ethnicities, like if a black person mated with an oriental person, whose offspring (half black, half chinese) mated with the offspring of a white person and a indian person, so and and so forth until all mixes and matches were done over time, until we all were just a complete mix of ethnicities.

it could happen, you know.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:08 AM   #19
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

We'd change the planet name from "Earth" to "Mutt."
Old 07-29-2005, 11:16 AM   #20
Klinglerware
College Starter

I think it's a natural urge: we describe ourselves in such a way to differentiate ourselves from others:

1. When we are in a foreign country, we describe ourselves as "American"
2. When we are in another state, we describe ourselves as being from whatever home state we're from
3. When we are speaking with people from the same state, we describe ourselves as being from whatever home town we live in
4. When we are speaking with people from our home town, we describe ourselves as being from whatever neighborhood of that home town we're from
Old 07-29-2005, 11:36 AM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
This discussion brings to mind the point that often there is no need to differentiate. I'm not pointing fingers - I do it myself - but why are we differentiating the race of the person? Does it really have a bearing on anything?

This occurs to me most frequently when someone is telling a story and, innocently enough, says something like, "So we met Joe's friend Ray, who's black, and so on and so forth." What difference does that really make?

Along with what Wolfpack said, I'd add that I believe the context of the discussion either encourages/discourages the use of these descriptives. There are situations where I'd say race definitely has bearings -- let's say, for example, the conversation is about the role of race in politics. If I'm quoting something said by a black Republican, race is likely to be an important factor in the context, since it reveals something about the perspective for their commentary.

By the same token, if I'm telling the story about SD's problems with campers & their sleeping bags, he becomes "this youth minister friend of mine", not "this black friend of mine", as race has no impact on the story or the context that it occurs in, etc.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:10 PM   #22
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
i always wondered what we'd look like if a thousand years from now there were no distinct ethnicities, like if a black person mated with an oriental person, whose offspring (half black, half chinese) mated with the offspring of a white person and a indian person, so and and so forth until all mixes and matches were done over time, until we all were just a complete mix of ethnicities.

it could happen, you know.

We'd all look like Tiger Woods?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:39 PM   #23
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
We'd all look like Tiger Woods?

And the Western U.S would be one big golf course..

"Looks like that par 5 from Vegas to Reno is a little tricky...."
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:46 PM   #24
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

In Alabama they keep it simple. They'd just call him "niggra."
Old 07-29-2005, 12:54 PM   #25
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

I actually saw on the news one time where they said that Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston were visiting a villiage of "African-American Jews" in Israel. Considering that these people needed translators when interviewed I assume that they are not from America, but the PC newspeople apparently didn't feel comfortable with the term Black Hebrew.

I hate PC...
Old 07-29-2005, 01:04 PM   #26
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33sherman
fwiw, it's not just the US. The term African-Canadian is used up north.

Well that's just silly, its almost like they've started to consider themselves a real country or something.

As for the topic. I'm guessing they say Black, Asian, and Indian(maybe American Indian). Then again that may just be how I'd answer the question. I've seen some reporters go OVER PC and describe the black populations of Africa as being African American. Or Nelson Mandella, a notable African American. It can be pretty silly.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:23 PM   #27
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
. I've seen some reporters go OVER PC and describe the black populations of Africa as being African American. Or Nelson Mandella, a notable African American. It can be pretty silly.

I've never seen this at all--are you sure this is happening?
Old 07-29-2005, 01:27 PM   #28
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
I've never seen this at all--are you sure this is happening?

I've seen the Black communities of Africa, possibly countries like Zimbabwe or South Africa where there is much black-white tension, referred to as African American in T.V. news reports. It struck me as funny as hell at the time. The Mandella thing was an example, not something I've seen. I probably should have made that clearer.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:05 AM   #29
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Anyone remember the story about that white kid from South Africa who was denied an award for African Americans in his school because he wasn't black, even though he was the only true African American in the school, and the award never said anything about skin color?
Old 07-30-2005, 08:16 AM   #30
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

In France, strangely enough, the non-PC term 'noir' for a black person was replaced by its English translation 'black', ie we took the English word and somehow magically made it OK to use.

Also, sometimes, the term 'person of colour', close to the american very un-PC 'coloured' is used and perfectly acceptable.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:37 AM   #31
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:

In the UK we call black people black, asian people asian etc. The term "african-american" is never used over here, but is understood.

If someone is from another country we might call them by their nationality. If I were to describe someone as Irish, he comes from Ireland, not New England.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:37 AM   #32
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
In Alabama they keep it simple. They'd just call him "niggra."

Just to be clear, my time in the military has brought me close to people from all over the states. And racists in Wisconsin say the same thing as racists in NY and Alabama.

I'd hate to promote the perception that only the south has racists and only those who are 'holier than thou' live in the north.

As for me, I generally tend to only suggest a race when a need to describe the person comes up.

"What does the guy look like?"

"He's the black guy."

When the population of blacks in less than 20% in the US, it's a great descriptive term.

Last edited by Dutch : 07-30-2005 at 10:37 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:08 AM   #33
clintl
College Starter

The preferred terminology has evolved over time. At one time, it was "negro" (hence, the United Negro College Fund's name). Then, "black" became the preferred term, I think during the civil rights movement. It wasn't until the '80s that "African-American" replaced "black." However, in my opinion, African-American is a more accurate term. We don't call Asian-Americans "yellow" any more, nor Native Americans "red," even though both were once common. I fail to understand why the fact that many, if not most, African-Americans prefer to be called by that name, instead by skin color, incurs such resistance and hostility from certain people. It is as if certain people think they have an entitlement to be rude and not get called on it.

If African-Americans want to identify culturally with their historical origins and heritage, what's wrong with that? No one complains about Irish-Americans calling themselves Irish-Americans, and celebrating their heritage with St. Patrick's Day.

It's not PC. It's respecting others. The Golden Rule.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:30 PM   #34
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
In the Netherlands usually minorites are named by their ancestors (main groups Surinamese, Moroccans, Turks, Antillians, Indonesians), but for the easy to sum up all minorities there's the official seperation between 'allochtoon' and 'autochtoon' (new and old Dutchmen).

I'd like to prefer call all people living in the Netherlands as Dutch.

With most groups that works, however teenagers and guys in their early twenties tend to be radical (especially in the Moroccan group, even morse since all the war-on-terror-talk heated up pro-islam sentiments) and want to be asociated with a country most of them never lived in, with a culture they hardkly know and a language they hardly speak.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 07-30-2005 at 01:05 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:34 PM   #35
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Dude. The migration of people over the land bridge across the Bering Sea was not just a couple centuries before Columbus, it was about 12,000 B.C. From Alaska they reached the southern end of South America by about 10,000 B.C. Native Americans were established for hundreds of centuries before Columbus arrived.

And considering all humans originated in Africa and migrated elsewhere, I don't see why the desire to discount Native Americans.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:37 PM   #36
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintl
The preferred terminology has evolved over time. At one time, it was "negro" (hence, the United Negro College Fund's name). Then, "black" became the preferred term, I think during the civil rights movement. It wasn't until the '80s that "African-American" replaced "black." However, in my opinion, African-American is a more accurate term. We don't call Asian-Americans "yellow" any more, nor Native Americans "red," even though both were once common. I fail to understand why the fact that many, if not most, African-Americans prefer to be called by that name, instead by skin color, incurs such resistance and hostility from certain people. It is as if certain people think they have an entitlement to be rude and not get called on it.

If African-Americans want to identify culturally with their historical origins and heritage, what's wrong with that? No one complains about Irish-Americans calling themselves Irish-Americans, and celebrating their heritage with St. Patrick's Day.

It's not PC. It's respecting others. The Golden Rule.

Very good points clint, but is it still the case that most in this country prefer to be called African-American and not black? I was under the impression that the hyphenated term was losing popularity.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:49 PM   #37
Dutch
"Dutch"

I was under the impression that being called 'black' wasn't derogatory. Being called 'yellow' or 'red' was.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:54 PM   #38
korme
Go Reds

Black guy. White guy.

It's all gravy
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 03:28 PM   #39
Tom E
H.S. Freshman Team

What if your WHITE, born in AFRICA and move to the USA. Are you African American...

I'll Never Forget What's Her Name...

A Democrat is Somebody who Knows the Issues, a Republican is Somebody who Understands the Issues...
Tom E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 03:33 PM   #40
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom E
What if your WHITE, born in AFRICA and move to the USA. Are you African American...

The exact same argument was used by a white student(Migrated from Africa) in Georgia, I believe, when he essentially ran for the "Best African American Student" award at his highschool. I'm pretty sure he got suspended if not expelled.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:34 PM   #41
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Very good points clint, but is it still the case that most in this country prefer to be called African-American and not black? I was under the impression that the hyphenated term was losing popularity.

It could be. I'm not sure where the terms stand in the way of preference. My main point is that they are the ones that should get to decide what they are called. White people who make such a big deal of objecting to the term "African-American" are being both disrespectful and hypocritical, because there are many white ethnic groups referred to by similarly hyphenated names without such objections.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:36 PM   #42
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom E

If you're born in Africa, you're not an American, are you?
Old 07-30-2005, 05:48 PM   #43
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

The term 'UK national' is becoming more commonplace in news stories over here, but I don't recall any instance when it has been used for a caucasian English person.

Black and Asian are acceptable descriptions (the former, to me at least, seemingly only recently) but like one of the posts earlier, you would only use the terms to dexcribe somebody within a group, etc. (At the same time 'my mate Nilesh' gives all of the relevant information without having to explicitly say any more)

Between 11-28 I lived in the first UK city where the Asian population exceeded 50% of the city's inhabitants, and describing people from their family background has never been a problem: this isn;t to say this is fine everywhere though - Leicester has always been a slightly different city to the rest of UK (evidenced when there a number of race riots in the UK, the city with the higest majority of Asians had exactly zero problems over the riotous period) so maybe it's just the norm where I grew up...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:41 PM   #44
Blade6119
Coordinator

My best friend is white and moved here from south africa a year ago...he calls himself an African American and all the black people look at him funny...never fails to amuse me when he resonds or gets mad about african american jokes(even from black guys) since he thinks they are talking about him.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:56 PM   #45
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
The exact same argument was used by a white student(Migrated from Africa) in Georgia, I believe, when he essentially ran for the "Best African American Student" award at his highschool. I'm pretty sure he got suspended if not expelled.
That's the best! Not the suspension or expulsion part, but the fact that he ran. LOL.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:01 AM   #46
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

"Citizens"?
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote