Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2005, 01:02 AM   #1
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Jeff Francoeur

Fuck yeah....

If this guy keeps it up, the Braves are gonna have one of their best postseason lineups in a long time.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:16 AM   #2
Ragone
Pro Rookie

yea right.. braves are already making excuses for why they won't win this year.. the cardinals are too tough boo hoo

13 straight division titles.. and like 1 ws title to show for it..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:42 AM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421
Fuck yeah....

If this guy keeps it up, the Braves are gonna have one of their best postseason lineups in a long time.

No doubt. The kid is a beast. But the Braves find creative ways to choke. I figure this year will be no different.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:42 AM   #4
larrymcg421
Head Coach

1/13 is better than 0/1

Old 07-29-2005, 01:42 AM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
1/13 is better than 0/1

I agree with that.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:47 AM   #6
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

He's had an awesome run. It's a little troubling that he hasn't drawn a single walk, though.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:53 AM   #7
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
He's had an awesome run. It's a little troubling that he hasn't drawn a single walk, though.

Yup- talented, but once pitcher's realize he'll chase, he'll stop getting stuff in the strike zone.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:19 PM   #8
Easy Mac

Well, his second homer he drilled over the left center wall, and that ball was maybe a foot high and a few inches off the plate on the opposite side, so I think he'll hit the ball. I agree I'd like him to be more patient, but not if it costs him some good pitches (look at Kelly Johnson, he's become far too selective of late, and his average has plummeted).
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It will be interesting to see how he handles the majors once pitchers have figured out his weaknesses. He has to learn some patience. He's doing well now, but some rookies that the Braves sported have been tailing off after the pitchers have seen them the second time around.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:32 PM   #10
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
It will be interesting to see how he handles the majors once pitchers have figured out his weaknesses. He has to learn some patience. He's doing well now, but some rookies that the Braves sported have been tailing off after the pitchers have seen them the second time around.

^^^^^^^^^

What he said.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:11 PM   #11
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

He didn't look good tonight. 0-4 with 3 ks
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:42 PM   #12
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
1/13 is better than 0/1

Try 2 or 3 titles (only one as Atlanta) and about 9 appearances vs like 10 titles and in about 17 appearances. Sure the Braves have had a better track record the past 10 years, but you really don't want to use the Cardinals in a history comparison arguement.

Last edited by panerd : 07-29-2005 at 10:42 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:46 PM   #13
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

What I admire about the Braves is that they let the rookies play through their struggles. Kelly Johnson started out horrible if I recall correctly, something like 1 hit in his first 27 ABs, but he's starting to come around. My Giants called up Todd Linden, who was absolutely destroying the PCL, but he started off slow and that was it. Didn't give him a chance to play through the rough beginning, instead giving his roster spot to the fabulous Alex Sanchez. Now Linden is back in AAA ripping the cover off the ball. Is it possible that he is nothing more than a 4th outfielder? Sure. But in a season that would be completely lost if it weren't for the ineptitude of the rest of the NL West, I think they should give him the majority of the time in Right to see what they have for next year. That just wasn't the case, however.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:47 PM   #14
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Francoeur is awesome.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:25 PM   #15
FBPro
College Starter

I heart the Braves......
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:21 AM   #16
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Try 2 or 3 titles (only one as Atlanta) and about 9 appearances vs like 10 titles and in about 17 appearances. Sure the Braves have had a better track record the past 10 years, but you really don't want to use the Cardinals in a history comparison arguement.

Well the post I was replying to discussed the Braves performance over the last 13 seasons. I wasn't necesasarily talking about the Cardinals (I believe they'd be more than 0/1, but I could be wrong), I was just making a general statement. People seem to think the Braves should be embarassed that they are 1/13, but that doesn't make sense to me. As a Cards fan, are you saying you wouldn't trade your teams performance over the last 13 years with the Braves? I'm sure the Cubs would LOVE that track record.

The great thing about rooting for the Braves is that over the last 13 years, they've always been playing competitive baseball late in the season. Most of those seasons had disappointing finishes, but there are tons of great moments before then (Lemke in 91, Cabrera/Bream in 92, The Division race in 94, The win in 95, the LCS in 96, the LCS in 2000, etc.) It's a fun team to root for.

Old 08-01-2005, 08:43 AM   #17
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle
What I admire about the Braves is that they let the rookies play through their struggles. Kelly Johnson started out horrible if I recall correctly, something like 1 hit in his first 27 ABs, but he's starting to come around. My Giants called up Todd Linden, who was absolutely destroying the PCL, but he started off slow and that was it. Didn't give him a chance to play through the rough beginning, instead giving his roster spot to the fabulous Alex Sanchez. Now Linden is back in AAA ripping the cover off the ball. Is it possible that he is nothing more than a 4th outfielder? Sure. But in a season that would be completely lost if it weren't for the ineptitude of the rest of the NL West, I think they should give him the majority of the time in Right to see what they have for next year. That just wasn't the case, however.

Yup. What Bobby Cox and Schuerholtz do better than anyone is maintain some vestige of faith - instead of giving roster spots to Alex fucking Sanchez, because he's a "proven" veteran. I'm beginning to hate Sabean now.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #18
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Francoeur is awesome.

Old 08-14-2005, 03:03 PM   #19
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle
What I admire about the Braves is that they let the rookies play through their struggles.

Amen to that. I wish the Mariners would do the same thing - we've sent 2B prospect Jose Lopez back down to AAA again, even though he's proven last season and this one that he really doesn't have much to learn at that level. Instead Hargrove continues to insist on playing Wille Fucking Bloomquist at 2B even though the best he can do as a hitter is .270/.300/.320 or so. Bloomquist is clearly nothing better than a sub for your infielders, yet we're wasting time with Lopez in AAA and SS Mike Morse taking a seat.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:07 PM   #20
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

So, has Francoeur drawn a walk yet? It's beginning to remind me of the Yinka Dare/assist numbers. At least Francoeur is a decent player, though.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:11 PM   #21
Thomkal
Head Coach

Myrtle Beach here is the home of the Braves level A (high A) Minor League team Myrtle Beach Pelicans. The local paper does a good job posting stories on Pelicans past and present. Here's a link to an article the paper ran the other day about him. I'm assuming it was also in the Atlanta paper.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld...s/12380592.htm

Francoeur was a bit hit in his short stay here and I can see why from reading the article. If you are looking for perhaps the next Braves prospect to make an impact on the big league team, keep an eye on Chuck James, who is already at Triple A Richmond after starting at Myrtle Beach this year.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #22
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
So, has Francoeur drawn a walk yet?
Nope.

2005 Individual Statistics - Atlanta Braves

Complete through Sunday, Aug 14

BattersBASLGGABRHTB2B3BHRRBIBBSOSBCSE
J.Francoeur.382.74528102233976100926019010
Old 08-14-2005, 09:43 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...francoeur.html
Is Francoeur Rookie of the Year?
NL players, managers like Braves outfielder's chances

By GUY CURTRIGHT
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/12/05

Until told otherwise, Jeff Francoeur wasn't even sure he was eligible to be rookie of the year.

"Don't you have to have a certain number of at-bats or whatever to qualify?" the Braves' 21-year-old sensation asked.

No, you don't. Twice, players have debuted near midseason, like Francoeur, and still turned heads enough to win the National League rookie of the year award.

One was Bob Horner, who went from Arizona State University directly to the Braves in 1978 after being taken first overall in the June draft. The other was Willie McCovey, who wasn't called up by San Francisco until late July and became a unanimous pick in 1959 despite playing in just 52 games.

Of course, Francoeur couldn't be blamed for not knowing those bits of baseball history. He wasn't born until 1984.

"I did see Bob Horner play when I was real little," said Francoeur, who is hitting .419 in his first 24 games (through Wednesday).

Now, all but opposing players and managers are relishing their first look at Francoeur, who is wowing baseball like McCovey and Horner.

"He's definitely hurt a lot of other rookies' chances," Braves ace John Smoltz said of Francoeur possibly becoming the fifth Atlanta Braves player to win the award.

"If he keeps playing like this, no one could beat him out," center fielder Andruw Jones said.

"There are many candidates, but this guy has to be the favorite now," San Francisco manager Felipe Alou said. The Giants haven't been able to get Francoeur out, just like National League pitchers couldn't handle McCovey 46 years ago.

Alou saw McCovey's debut on July 30 up close. He was a teammate. In fact, McCovey, who finished with 13 homers and 38 RBIs, took his playing time in the outfield because the Giants had Orlando Cepeda at first base. "I still remember that he hit .354, because it was so remarkable," Alou said of McCovey, who like Francoeur was 21 when promoted from the minors. "He kept piling up hits. All of a sudden, we started saying, 'This guy could be rookie of the year.' "

Francoeur, who received a $2.2 million bonus after being a first-round draft choice in 2002, is making a similar instant impression. "I don't want to compare him to McCovey, because Mac's in the Hall of Fame," Braves manager Bobby Cox said. "But the impact Jeff has made is huge. I think everybody in baseball is talking about him."

Francoeur, however, doesn't want to hear the talk about his rookie of the year chances. Not yet, anyway.

"I really haven't thought about it," he said. "We've got a lot of the season to go. I haven't even played in 30 games yet."

But what a five weeks it has been for Francoeur, who homered in his first game after being called up from Class AA on July 7 and hasn't stopped pounding the ball since.

"He won't hit .400, but he could hit close to what McCovey did," Alou said. "There's not much time to find holes to pitch to him, because most teams see him only once.

"He has a base-hit swing. He puts in the ball in play - hard or soft. He's one of those privileged hitters who doesn't swing and miss very much. He hits good pitches and bad pitches. Breaking balls and fastballs. Inside and outside pitches."

The Braves have not curtailed Francoeur's aggressiveness at the plate as his amazing start has come without drawing a single walk. "He's like Vladimir Guerrero. He'll hit anything you throw up there," said Cincinnati first baseman Sean Casey, who played against the Braves last week. "I guess you have to throw it down the middle to get him out. Twenty-one and raking at .400 with no walks. Wow?"

"His big-league start is unbelievable," interim Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "If he plays every day the rest of the season he could easily be the rookie of the year.

"He has outstanding tools - plays defense, has a great arm, runs extremely well and has outstanding bat speed. The only thing, and it's a small thing, is will pitchers be able to exploit that he swings at everything. But he certainly has had a very, very impressive beginning."

"He is a kid with no fear," added Casey. "Heck, I was 24 when I came up and I was scared."

With Francoeur, though, it is opposing pitchers who are frightened. He had eight homers and three game-winning hits in his first month in the big leagues. Horner, of course, also got off to a great start, but he didn't have the added element of the Braves being in a pennant race. The third baseman finished with a .266 average, 23 homers and 63 RBIs in 89 games.

Bob "Hurricane" Hazel was in a more similar situation to Francoeur, although with no advanced hype or expectations. A long-time minor leaguer, he was called up by Milwaukee in July of 1957 and batted .403 in 41 games as the Braves won the NL pennant and beat the New York Yankees in the World Series.

Hazel, 26, blew back into obscurity after that one glorious season. Many think Francoeur should be around for a long, long time.

"Eventually, he will have to make adjustments, like everyone does," said Andruw Jones, who knows about high expectations. "But he will. He has a lot of talent and he could be a superstar."

"He's the real deal," St. Louis manager Tony La Russa said after facing Francoeur last weekend. "He's going to be a star. He's a star already."

"He's going to be a superstar. No doubt in my mind," said Braves third baseman Chipper Jones, who was beaten out by Hideo Nomo for the 1995 NL rookie award. "I knew he was going to be good, but I didn't know when he'd be ready. Between spring training and when he got called up, something clicked. He got it."

But instant major league acclaim won't change his long-time friend and roommate, rookie catcher Brian McCann said. "He's the same guy he was when he was 14. There's no ego there. You can't tell if he's got five dollars in his pocket or a couple million."

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-14-2005 at 09:44 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:49 PM   #24
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

You certainly have to envy what the Braves have done. They have set themselves up for the next decade without ever missing a beat.

I have never enjoyed watching the Braves as much as I have this year. I've found them boring the past and would watch TBS mostly for their opponent. This year has been different though, it has been fun to watch them break in those young players.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:57 PM   #25
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
You certainly have to envy what the Braves have done. They have set themselves up for the next decade without ever missing a beat.

True, many teams try to hide their rookies or break them in nice and slow and that approach works for most but it seems like they have an especially gifted group that they've brought up - certainly fun to watch.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:32 PM   #26
Easy Mac

Francoeur has walked!!!!!!!
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:41 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

No fair, I know it counts in the stats, but an IBB was not what I was expecting here.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:32 AM   #28
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Well, his second homer he drilled over the left center wall, and that ball was maybe a foot high and a few inches off the plate on the opposite side, so I think he'll hit the ball. I agree I'd like him to be more patient, but not if it costs him some good pitches (look at Kelly Johnson, he's become far too selective of late, and his average has plummeted).

For whatever reason this reminded me of the Soriano/Pujols debate.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:40 AM   #29
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, in Rookie of the Year news, Zach Duke is now 6-0 with a 1.87 ERA, after pitching a 2 hitter last week. This is going to be a TIGHT race.

And waiting in the wings is Willy Tavaras, who's been playing all year and is on pace for over 190 hits and 41 steals (right now he's got 142 hits and 31 steals).
Old 08-22-2005, 10:36 AM   #30
Philliesfan980
Banned

It seems like the Braves develop one stud on a yearly basis, whereas the Phillies NEVER develop any studs (Brett Myers being the lone exception).
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:44 AM   #31
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
No fair, I know it counts in the stats, but an IBB was not what I was expecting here.

I wish I had put money on the fact his first walk would be intentional. I knew it would.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote