Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2005, 11:29 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Clarett signs creative deal with Broncos

Story

Maurice Clarett, who legally challenged the league for early entry, still hasn't given up the thought he should have been a first-round choice in the NFL.

Instead of suing the league, Clarett came up with a novel approach. He is putting his money where his mouth is. On Thursday, he signed a four-year contract in which he gave up the $410,000 of guaranteed money in order to secure an incentive-laden deal that could eventually earn him $7 million.

The complex contract, which includes more than $5 million of performance escalators, forced the Broncos and Clarett's agents to negotiate well into Wednesday night. After a few hours of sleep, they resumed their talks Thursday morning and reached agreement by the afternoon. Clarett was the last pick in the third round of the draft.

The contract was negotiated by Steve Feldman, Josh Luchs and Clarett's attorney and advisor, David Kenner.

"This deal struck gives Maurice the opportunity to be paid like the first-round draft choice he was born to be," Feldman said.

Specifics of the contract are sketchy, but it works something like this. If Clarett gains 1,000 yards, he could hit an escalator worth more than $1 million, almost three times what he would have made in a signing bonus given to him by the Broncos.

The more he rushes for, the more he makes. He can max out at around $7 million.

This was Clarett's gamble. He has the confidence he can gain the yards and hit the $7 million figure. Rollovers give him a chance to make the big bumps in salary if he doesn't do it as a rookie.

To further show his commitment, he accepted no guarantees. The $410,000 the Broncos were willing to give him Thursday was put into workout bonuses in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Clarett wants to prove he's a first-round talent. If he runs like a first-rounder, he could be paid like a first-rounder instead of a third-rounder.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:29 PM   #2
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I still say he should have been banned from football, I'm just sick of this guy. I hope he fails miserably.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
I still say he should have been banned from football, I'm just sick of this guy. I hope he fails miserably.

Is he really that bad, compared to the other people in the league? He's never been arrested. He's never been on drugs or killed anybody that we know of. Sure, he had some issues with going to school and some issues with NCAA violations.

But so did Chris Webber and he's an NBA all-star. I don't see how he's this scourge that everyone seems to think he is.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #4
Flasch186
Coordinator

he shouldve talked to Ricky Williams...that worked out well for him in NO.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:33 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
he shouldve talked to Ricky Williams...that worked out well for him in NO.

Ricky was just dumb. 1st round pick, get your money.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:19 AM   #6
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Wow. That's such complete overkill - what exactly did he do in your opinion that was so bad to wish him failure?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:25 AM   #7
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

I didn't realize Master P was still in the business.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:57 AM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
I didn't realize Master P was still in the business.

I was thinking that
Old 07-29-2005, 01:09 AM   #9
vex
Grizzled Veteran

He realizes he has to see the field first, right?
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:19 AM   #10
Ragone
Pro Rookie

haha.. with clauses like that.. he's gonna have to be the second coming of ricky williams (minus the pot.. err i mean herbalism courses)
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:49 AM   #11
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
He realizes he has to see the field first, right?
Exactly. Last year Shanahan said that if healthy Tatum Bell is capable of rushing for 1,600 yards every season. I've never known the Broncos to be a running back by committee on game day, EVER!.

Barring injury Clarrett will se at most 100 carries all next season.

LOL Look for Clarrett to "Quit" as soon as the Depth chart is released. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have him sitting at RB #4.

Shit, Mayke that 4th or 5th. When did the Broncos add Ron Dayne?
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:12 AM   #12
WrongWay
Banned

Will Clarett alow the Broncos to put him on the Practice Squad?

My Bronocos opening Day RB DEpth chart

1) Tatum Bell
2) Mike Anderson
3) Quinten Griffith (3rd down back)
4) Cecil Sapp

Out Ron Dayne
Out Maurice Clarrett

I know both Dayne and Clarrett could compete for the backup FB position behind Hape, but generally the Broncos do not carry a backup FB because they NEVER give the ball to the fullback in their system.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:26 AM   #13
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

And if he starts costing Denver "first roud money" that contract better guarentee he will not be cut, because Denver has proven they will not spend that kind of money on a running back.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:02 AM   #14
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
Will Clarett alow the Broncos to put him on the Practice Squad?

My Bronocos opening Day RB DEpth chart

1) Tatum Bell
2) Mike Anderson
3) Quinten Griffith (3rd down back)
4) Cecil Sapp

Out Ron Dayne
Out Maurice Clarrett

I know both Dayne and Clarrett could compete for the backup FB position behind Hape, but generally the Broncos do not carry a backup FB because they NEVER give the ball to the fullback in their system.

Clarett will be no worse than #2 by opening day.

You do realize that everyone but Bell sucks.

I don't like Clarett at all, and certainly do not begrudge anyone rooting for him to fail, but what exactly did he do to deserve being banned from the league?
Old 07-29-2005, 07:32 AM   #15
KWhit
Coordinator

So how much more likely does this contract make it that Clarett will bitch about playing time?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:56 AM   #16
TroyF
Coordinator

Look, I dont' care if you hate the guy and think the Broncos are a bunch of idiotic fools who don't know what they are doing. The Broncos KNOW running backs. More specifically, they know how running backs fit in their system.

Bell will be the starter. No question.

After that? Clarrett will be no worse than #2 by the first month of the season. Shanahan might put Anderson ahead of him early on just to test the kid's mental makeup, but that's all. The Broncos red zone offense and short yardarge offense was about the worst in the league last year. Mo will get a ton of carries in those situations this year. And if Bell gets injured, which he did a couple times last year, Mo will get a chance to be the every down back for the Denver Broncos.

I have to hand it to the kid for this contract. This isn't Ricky Williams here. This isn't a guy who gave up MILLIONS in guarenteed money. He gave up a few hundred grand for the chance to make millions. He put his money where his gigantic mouth is.

He plays and plays well, he gets paid like a first round pick. He plays and sucks, he makes a couple of hundred g's and walks away.

Good for him. That tells me he's going to work his ass off to become a good football player. And I can promise you that if the Broncos picked him, there IS talent there to work with. If he listens to the coaches, that talent will show itself.

As far as him being banned from the league? That's just idiotic. He's a stupid, egotistical kid. He made a few big mistakes, but nothing compared to some people.

Leonard Little made a mistake that was far worse than Mo's and was given a second chance. Granted, he F'd up that second chance really good. . . but if he can be given one, surely the immature 20 year old can.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:59 AM   #17
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
So how much more likely does this contract make it that Clarett will bitch about playing time?

Well, that'd be about the dumbest thing he can do. Because the contract makes it REALLY easy for the Broncos to dump him any second and there are rollbacks with escalators for the second and third year of the deal.

He throws a fit about PT, the Broncos dump him and I seriously doubt he'll get the same type of offer again.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:51 AM   #18
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Why ? Because he challenged the horse-shit system that is the NCAA ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:55 AM   #19
cody8200
High School Varsity

I'll be rooting against him. I dont think he should be banned at all. Otherwise I'd have to see him fail in the CFL.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:44 AM   #20
WrongWay
Banned

But, where do you put Ron Dayne?

And, remember the Broncos are now reporting a Healthy Mike Anderson in training camp. Yes, the same Mike Anderson who was #1 on the depth chart last year because the Broncos thought he could replace Portis. Anderson is going to be busting his but in traing camp to be back at the #1 spot.

Quentin gets the nod at #3 because of his speed and he is the only one of them that shows production catching the ball. Something tells me Clarrett and his 5-something 40 will not be in on 3rd and long.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:56 AM   #21
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

Ron Dayne? Ron DAYNE? Don't even get me started on Ron Dayne.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:57 AM   #22
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

You cut him.

I think that it will be Anderson and Clarett for the #2 spot. But, Anderson is old, and looked it last time he played. Griffin proved last year that he is nothing more than a thrid down back - a role I think he will do well in.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:21 AM   #23
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

And, remember the Broncos are now reporting a Healthy Mike Anderson in training camp. Yes, the same Mike Anderson who was #1 on the depth chart last year because the Broncos thought he could replace Portis. Anderson is going to be busting his but in traing camp to be back at the #1 spot.

Quentin gets the nod at #3 because of his speed and he is the only one of them that shows production catching the ball. Something tells me Clarrett and his 5-something 40 will not be in on 3rd and long.

Where do you put Ron Dayne? On the inactive list or on the cut line.

Mike Anderson is an old running back. He was placed #1 on the depth chart to hold a spot until Tatum Bell was ready to take over, nothing more. (Keep in mind Shanahan does this. He gives young RB's limited carries for a month before he allows them to start. See: Clinton Portis)

Anderson is a 32 year old RB who is coming off a season long injury. He may be ahead of Maurice on the depth chart to start the year, but it will only be as a placeholder. Mo wil become the backup sooner rather than later.

Look at it this way: During Shanahan's tenure, the Broncos have drafted 3 RB's in the first three rounds. Clinton Portis, Tatum Bell, Maurice Clarrett.

I can promise you they didn't draft Mo to throw him on the bench and let him rot. If he shows ANYTHING in preseason camp, he's going to get time on the field. And the second Tatum Bell gets injured and is forced to miss a game, Mo will be the guy who gets the chance.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:47 AM   #24
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
"This deal struck gives Maurice the opportunity to be paid like the first-round draft choice he was born to be,"

Interesting quote. I don't know who said this, but you'd think that somebody who's on Clarett's side would rather present Clarett's talent as something he's earned, rather than just something he's born with -- this gives me the impression that, since he was BORN to be a first round draft choice, he'll be able to stroll through the NFL and win the big games with little effort.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:59 AM   #25
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

As usual, I find myself agreeing with just about everything Troy said.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:24 PM   #26
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Wow. That's such complete overkill - what exactly did he do in your opinion that was so bad to wish him failure?

Simple, he didn't play by some rules and wouldn't shut up about it like a whiny 3 yr old. You wonder some hate certain players in sports and find it increasingly difficult to even watch sports? It's players that are showoffs or loud-mouths or bad sports on or off the field. It becomes so easy to root against players and wish failure and humilation upon them. If posters like Crapshoot don't understand that, it's not my problem.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:01 PM   #27
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Simple, he didn't play by some rules and wouldn't shut up about it like a whiny 3 yr old. You wonder some hate certain players in sports and find it increasingly difficult to even watch sports? It's players that are showoffs or loud-mouths or bad sports on or off the field. It becomes so easy to root against players and wish failure and humilation upon them. If posters like Crapshoot don't understand that, it's not my problem.

I'll admit it, I can flip flop. But I'm much likely to cut a youngster some slack over comments or attitude than an older player. Mo made some incredibly idiotic decisions. Just simply brain dead.

But I'm inclined to cut him some slack over the last year. Unlike some jack asses, Mo paid a pretty heavy price for his mistakes. All the way to watching 100+ other players picked before him in the draft.

This contract really tells me something about the kid. He's willing to put it all on the line. Instead of acting like a freak and demanding he get paid first round money in the third round, he simply gave up any gaurenteed money. All the way up to even splitting his signing bonus into roster bonuses for three years. (a signing bonus that could have been had up front, even with the other escalators put into the deal)

Say what you want about the kid, but that takes balls. It makes me want to give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

In Mo's case, he's a 20 year old kid. He's at the crossroads now. He can be a solid citizen from this point forth or he can be an ass. Rather than wanting the kid to fail, I'm going to pull for him to get his act together and hope he "gets it"

If he doesn't, I'll have plenty of time to despise him.

FWIW, this isn't just because he's a Denver Bronco. I have the capability of hating hometown players. Romo was an ass. I'm not at all upset Clinton Portis isn't here. I despised every second of Nick Van Exels Nuggets career. And do not get me started on the Daryl Gardner idiotic signing.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:41 PM   #28
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Troy, I understand. But I perceive that even he chooses to continue to be a jackass, there will be those praising that and playing the blame game (or race card, but we won't go there). It is funny that you mention "be a solid citizen" and "get his act together" - implying that doing otherwise is...wrong?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:46 PM   #29
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I wish pro football would adopt a more incentive based contract system. Keep the league minimum salary. But do away with a signing bonus, or any other bonus that doesnt reward the player. And have the comissioner set some rules and guidelines about the bonuses that would make them truly performance based.

And before you start talking about the guys that get injured their first season, and are never able to play again, I have a simple solution. Allow teams to give players that suffer career ending injuries a severance package that dosent count against the cap.

All bonuses would have to count against the salary cap of course, but the thought of guys playing to actually earn their money, rather then have it handed to them up front, makes me excited.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:54 PM   #30
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
I wish pro football would adopt a more incentive based contract system. Keep the league minimum salary. But do away with a signing bonus, or any other bonus that doesnt reward the player. And have the comissioner set some rules and guidelines about the bonuses that would make them truly performance based.

And before you start talking about the guys that get injured their first season, and are never able to play again, I have a simple solution. Allow teams to give players that suffer career ending injuries a severance package that dosent count against the cap.

All bonuses would have to count against the salary cap of course, but the thought of guys playing to actually earn their money, rather then have it handed to them up front, makes me excited.

I agree there has to be a better solution than what they do now.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:58 PM   #31
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog

The problem is that you think you have too many "me first" people in the league NOW?! What happens when they are playing for more money as well?

And how do you determine incentives for O-Linemen and defensive tackle who just plug the hole? Team success? But there are some good O-Line people on crap teams.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:09 PM   #32
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Troy, I understand. But I perceive that even he chooses to continue to be a jackass, there will be those praising that and playing the blame game (or race card, but we won't go there). It is funny that you mention "be a solid citizen" and "get his act together" - implying that doing otherwise is...wrong?

No, the implication of those statements in my post is a HOPE that he does those things. The only implication is that he hasn't been either in the past.

And I understand there will be apologists making excuses for him. I won't be one of them. He has a chance now. I'll give him that chance and I will not wish him to fail. I hope get does get it and that he succeeds. Not sure if it'll happen or not, but I like the way his Bronco career has started.

Success on the field or not, I hope he keeps on his current path, not the one he used to be on.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:31 PM   #33
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Unlike some jack asses, Mo paid a pretty heavy price for his mistakes. All the way to watching 100+ other players picked before him in the draft.

I agree with much of what you are saying here, but I don't think his draft position was much of a punishment. Its not like he ever was considered a first rounder by anyone in the NFL - he simply lacks the speed for that. Guys in the first round must meet certain physical parameters and have performed in college. Mo performed, but didn't have the measurables.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:46 PM   #34
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
I agree with much of what you are saying here, but I don't think his draft position was much of a punishment. Its not like he ever was considered a first rounder by anyone in the NFL - he simply lacks the speed for that. Guys in the first round must meet certain physical parameters and have performed in college. Mo performed, but didn't have the measurables.

His mistakes only gave him one season to show what he could do. We also don't know what his combine numbers would have been if he'd stayed in college and kept in "football" shape last year.

Emmitt didn't exactly have the greatest measurables, but he was a mid first round pick based on production at the college level.

Now, the 5+ forty time would have slaughtered anyone, but I don't really believe Clarrett is that slow of a runner and I don't think most scouts really believed that either.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:35 PM   #35
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Now, the 5+ forty time would have slaughtered anyone, but I don't really believe Clarrett is that slow of a runner and I don't think most scouts really believed that either.

He "ran slow" even in college - and scouts knew it. That was a knock on him I read many times before the combine.

He really was just never a first round prospect. Its amazing to me how many people think I am slamming on his talent, when in reality very good football players and amazing athletes get taken in the third round. He just wasn't the super elite caliber guy. He lost a round at best from what his peak value would have been.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:49 PM   #36
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
He "ran slow" even in college - and scouts knew it. That was a knock on him I read many times before the combine.

He really was just never a first round prospect. Its amazing to me how many people think I am slamming on his talent, when in reality very good football players and amazing athletes get taken in the third round. He just wasn't the super elite caliber guy. He lost a round at best from what his peak value would have been.

I'm not saying you're slamming him. I'm simply saying that 2 more productive years at the college level could have easily pushed him into the first round. Guys without the big measurables get picked in the first round.

Bensen ran a 4.55 as his best time in private workouts and the combine. Mo ran a 4.66 in his private workouts but was much stronger than Cedric. (benched 225 22 times at the combine to Cedric's 14) He also out verticaled him.

Larry Johnson ran a 4.6 the year he was drafted in round one, again with less strength numbers than Mo. Ron Dayne ran a 4.65 (right at the level of Mo) and was picked 8th in the draft.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying any of those guys SHOULD have been drafted where they were. I just think that Mo having two more monster years in college ball, with a good attitude and a team would have picked him in round one.

Just an opinion. Nothing more.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:16 AM   #37
WrongWay
Banned

I still say he will quit the NFL when the Broncos send him to the practice squad.

BTW-- This will only be Mike Anderson's 6th year in the NFL. If Anderson show up to camp in good health he will give Bell a run for the #1 RB position. He is after all the only 1,000 yard rusher on their team right now.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:28 AM   #38
QuikSand
lolzcat

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...ad.php?t=12430
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:06 AM   #39
korme
Go Reds

I can't hate a man that got my favorite team to win the national championship. I'll be rooting for him.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:57 AM   #40
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand

So you're saying Maurice Clarett is on a level of evil similar to Bert of Sesame Street?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:00 AM   #41
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I still say he will quit the NFL when the Broncos send him to the practice squad.

BTW-- This will only be Mike Anderson's 6th year in the NFL. If Anderson show up to camp in good health he will give Bell a run for the #1 RB position. He is after all the only 1,000 yard rusher on their team right now.

WrongWay,

With all due respect, You just don't understand the Broncos if you think Anderson will get the #1 running back job or that Calrrett will end up on the practice squad.

He's more likely to be cut outrite than put on the PS. He may be on the inactive list for the first few games (though I wouldn't be a cent on it).

Simply put, the Broncos did not draft Maurice Clarrett in the third round of the draft because they think he's some project who needs two years before he'll produce. This organization doesn't do that with running backs.

And there are only three ways I can think of that Mike Anderson starts at running back for the Denver Broncos on opening day:

1) Bell gets hurt. (and again, Anderson would simply be a placeholder for Clarrett)

2) Kyle Johnson the young fullback Shanahan loves gets hurt and Anderson moves back there.

3) Bell commits a crime or a violation of the leagues substance abuse policy.

Look, it's just not happening. Mike Shanahan doesn't want Anderson to be the starter. I know this team inside and out. Bell will be the starter. No questions asked. Anderson will start the season as his backup, but Mo will get a few carries here and there, especially in short yardage.

By midseason, Maurice will be the main backup. Write it down and if I'm wrong bring this post up top.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:13 AM   #42
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
The problem is that you think you have too many "me first" people in the league NOW?! What happens when they are playing for more money as well?

And how do you determine incentives for O-Linemen and defensive tackle who just plug the hole? Team success? But there are some good O-Line people on crap teams.

I never said they would be playing for more money. I just said that you turn the signing bonus into a new performance based plan.

I dont know what you could do for Ol's and Dl's. Pancake blocks and sacks allowed for the OL? Not really sure what kind of stats a DT would generate, but im am sure there is some way you can measure their success...

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:42 AM   #43
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
WrongWay,

With all due respect, You just don't understand the Broncos if you think Anderson will get the #1 running back job or that Calrrett will end up on the practice squad.
Pardon? LOL who is looking like a football Dorf now??

You need to turn on your TV to ...Denver's 4 or 9 or 31 or hell even ESPN is now reporting the Mike Anderson will open the season as Denver's Starting TB.

1 serving of crow coming up TroyF?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:49 AM   #44
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Anyone know what kind of extension Travis Henry signed with Tennessee? Because with the same 3rd round pick they wasted...er, used...on Clarett, they could have gotten Henry. Might not have been worth it if he wanted big money, but even for one year, I'd have rather had Henry.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 08:00 AM   #45
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I'd have rather had Henry.

He's totally the wrong back for Denver.

The right kind of back is Clinton Portis, or Tatum Bell. I would not have thought Clarett was in this group (frankly, he seems like more a Travis Henry type) but I have to trust Shanahan's judgement on RBs ahead of mine.

Washington, now they need Travis Henry, but can't figure out how to use Portis.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:01 AM   #46
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I don't think Henry is really all that good anyway.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:06 AM   #47
Ksyrup

Henry >>>> Clarett
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-09-2005, 08:08 AM   #48
rkmsuf
Head Coach

we'll see.

I'm not a big Henry fan. I think he's very, very average.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:13 AM   #49
Ksyrup

I'm just looking at it in terms of a malcontent with questionable skills whose ability in the NFL is a complete unknown versus a malcontent with decent skills whose ability in the NFL can be measured. For the same price (not knowing whether the K extension was a prerequisite or not, or how much he got), I'd take the known quantity for the same 3rd round pick it took to get the unknown quantity.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:23 AM   #50
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I can see that. One thing that gives me pause though is I'm guessing the NFL folk aren't total dummies and given Clarett's checkered combine experience and injury, team were still very interested in his services. It could be Belichick is a total genius and was driving the price up but the Pats had real interest in drafting the guy too.

The fact that Denver choose to spend a third round pick on him says something to me. Could be wrong. I'm not really a big Clarett fan but something tells me he's going to do well.