Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
MrBug708
Head Coach

Turiaf to have open heart surgery....

Ronny Turiaf, the West Coast Conference player of the year at Gonzaga and a second-round pick of the Los Angeles Lakers, has an enlarged heart and will need open-heart surgery, possibly ending his career before it ever starts in the NBA.

Turiaf's agent, Bouna Ndiaye, confirmed to ESPN.com Thursday night that the condition was discovered during extensive medical testing in Los Angeles.

Lakers spokesperson John Black said Turiaf would have open-heart surgery in 4-6 weeks. Black said Turiaf would meet with the media at 10 a.m. PT Friday in Los Angeles.

The Lakers selected the 6-foot-10 Turiaf, who was originally from France, with the 37th pick overall in the June 28th draft. Los Angeles signed Turiaf to a two-year guaranteed contract on July 14. He played for the Lakers in a Summer Pro League and was averaging 14 points and 4.7 rebounds in 21.9 minutes a game. But Turiaf, 22, was held out of the final four games of the summer league.

Ndiaye said Turiaf would remain in Los Angeles to meet with more doctors Friday before determining when and where to have surgery.

"His aorta is too large for his heart," Ndiaye said. "This is open-heart surgery. He could come back if everything goes OK and he works hard."

Ndiaye said the contract would be voided but Lakers owner Jerry Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak would "take care of the medical costs and told us they would keep his rights."

"They are showing us the good human part," Ndiaye said. "Ronny is down. He's a winner and he's determined to get back one day."

Black said the contract Turiaf signed was conditional on passing the physical and once he didn't the contract becomes void. But Black said the league lawyers might not agree with that interpretation. Black said the Lakers want to pay the medical costs, but once again this is up to the league's interpretation of his contract.

Gonzaga coach Mark Few, who spoke with Turiaf on Thursday night, said Turiaf was in the best condition he had seen him in when he visited Turiaf at the Chicago predraft camp in June.

"We're in a state of shock," Few said. "We're going to be by Ronny's side during this entire ordeal. Our staff, our players and the entire community of Spokane are behind him. He's meant so much to all of us. We're going to see him through this and get him back healthy. There will be a lot of thoughts and prayers coming out of Spokane."

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:00 AM   #2
kingfc22
Head Coach

Damn, that sucks. I always enjoyed watching him play for Gonzaga. Great rebounder and a pure energy guy.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:15 AM   #3
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Damn the Lakers are having bad luck.

this sucks.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:23 AM   #4
Vince
Pro Starter

Good for the Lakers for trying to pay the medical costs.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 01:34 AM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

I had open-heart surgery when I was a year old and I got through it okay... still did competitive sports and whatnot as a kid and stuff.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
Emiliano
College Prospect

Wow, I'm shocked by the news. I hope the surgery will go well so he can have a normal life. If, one day, he will be able to return to the court, I'll be even more happy for him.

Good luck Ronny.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:39 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

ESPN's headline makes it look like they picked him as the lucky choice:

Lakers pick Turiaf to have open-heart surgery
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #8
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281