Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Soccer: Robinho to Real

Was wondering when this would finally happen. We might see some interesting moves from Real now that they seem to have a few too many strikers. Owen will probably go some place (Chelsea?), and the rumor about Ronaldo and Samuel going to Inter for Adriano now seems even less likely (although it would be exciting to have both Robinho and Adriano upfront for Marid). Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Quote:
MADRID, July 21 (Reuters) - Real Madrid have reached a €24 million ($29.15 million) deal to sign striker Robinho from Brazilian club Santos, Spanish state radio said on Thursday.

The radio quoted 'reliable Real Madrid sources' as saying that Robinho was now a Real Madrid player.

But a Real Madrid spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment and Robinho's agent Wagner Ribeiro denied the report.

He said no deal had been done yet but told Reuters he was prepared to take the matter to FIFA if no agreement was reached.

The radio report said Real Madrid president Florentino Perez had personally taken the decision to pay €24 million required to free Robinho from a buy-out clause tying him to Santos.

Robinho would join a star-studded team at Madrid that includes fellow Brazilian Ronaldo, England captain David Beckham and France's Zinedine Zidane. Real Madrid are currently in China on a pre-season tour.

Spanish media reported earlier on Thursday that Robinho had undergone a medical check-up at a clinic in Sao Paulo prior to signing for Real Madrid.

Sports daily Marca said that the 21-year-old international, who has been the subject of a tug-of-war transfer saga between his club Santos and the Spanish giants, was subjected to a battery of tests under the supervision of Joaquim Grava and Real Madrid chief of medical staff Alfonso del Corral.

One of Brazil's most exciting young talents, Robinho has refused to train with Santos since returning from international duty at the start of the month because he has been angry at their refusal to accept a $25 million offer from Real.

Santos president Marcelo Teixeira has accused Real of making an illicit approach for the player and said that any club wanting to sign him before his contract end in 2008 would have to pay the full $50 million stipulated in his buy-out clause.

If the case goes to FIFA, Robinho is expected to argue it is no longer safe for him to stay in Brazil. Last year, his mother was kidnapped and held for 40 days before being released.

Last edited by MalcPow : 07-21-2005 at 01:46 PM.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcPow
Was wondering when this would finally happen. We might see some interesting moves from Real now that they seem to have a few too many strikers. Owen will probably go some place (Chelsea?), and the rumor about Ronaldo and Samuel going to Inter for Adriano now seems even less likely (although it would be exciting to have both Robinho and Adriano upfront for Marid). Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Pretty crappy deal for Owen considering he did put the ball in the net quite a bit for them last year. Supposedly they're asking in the neighborhood of 15MM for him - which is pretty good considering they only paid 8MM to Liverpool last year .
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
Critch
lolzcat

Wonder if this move along with the signing of a couple of Uruguayans last week and the Brazilian coach, point to Real heading back to South American talent? Maybe Beckham back to Man Utd? Owen to Arsenal/Man Utd/Liverpool/Spur? Woodgate to a hospital back in the UK?

It also makes the Ronaldo leaving rumor seem more likely, that would probably be a good move for Real, in my opinion.

It'll be interesting.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Wonder if this move along with the signing of a couple of Uruguayans last week and the Brazilian coach, point to Real heading back to South American talent? Maybe Beckham back to Man Utd? Owen to Arsenal/Man Utd/Liverpool/Spur? Woodgate to a hospital back in the UK?

It also makes the Ronaldo leaving rumor seem more likely, that would probably be a good move for Real, in my opinion.

It'll be interesting.

Yeah who knows, I guess this basically means something is going to happen and we'll all have to hang around to see what that is.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:06 PM   #5
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Woodgate to a hospital back in the UK?

Old 07-21-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... big signing by Real. This does make it an interesting question as to the future of Owen. He did start a number of times last season, but will he really replace Ronaldo? I doubt it.

I expect a LOT of English clubs to step up their efforts to get Owen now.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Maybe Beckham back to Man Utd?
Now I don't really follow European futbol closely but isn't this bridge burnt to a crisp.

Last edited by TazFTW : 07-21-2005 at 02:11 PM.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:14 PM   #8
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Now I don't really follow European futbol closely but isn't this bridge burnt to a crisp.

You would think so, but there were some rumors that the new owners would try and get some fans on their side by bringing back an old hero. Realistically though he'd probably be more likely at a London club, Arsenal have been mentioned, Spurs were talking of getting involved in the Baptista bidding so I guess they've got the cash available. Not sure Chelsea would be interested, not sure West Ham would be high profile enough for him.

So basically I've taken a whole paragraph to say "I don't know".
Old 07-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #9
Galaxy
Coordinator

How is Real's chemistry with all these stars? Seems like second-stringers would prolly be 95% starters on any other club.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:49 PM   #10
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
How is Real's chemistry with all these stars? Seems like second-stringers would prolly be 95% starters on any other club.

It's stunk the past couple years as they haven't even won their own league (much less the CL). That's why they have to go out and get some people like Gravesson who can play the less glamorous roles.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:26 PM   #11
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
How is Real's chemistry with all these stars?
It's especially bad because Beckham is a Gemini, Ronaldo is a Leo, and Cornholio is a Sagittareus.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:01 AM   #12
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Quote:
Woodgate to a hospital back in the UK?
Seconding the
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
It's especially bad because Beckham is a Gemini, Ronaldo is a Leo, and Cornholio is a Sagittareus.
here too.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:06 AM   #13
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
You would think so, but there were some rumors that the new owners would try and get some fans on their side by bringing back an old hero. Realistically though he'd probably be more likely at a London club, Arsenal have been mentioned, Spurs were talking of getting involved in the Baptista bidding so I guess they've got the cash available. Not sure Chelsea would be interested, not sure West Ham would be high profile enough for him.

So basically I've taken a whole paragraph to say "I don't know".
I have a tough time seeing Beckham back at Manchester United. I think Arsenal is not impossible as I think Wenger does like him as a midfielder (ie, I can see him teaming up with Gilberto in the middle with Hleb in the Bergkamp role) but 1) the Arsenal-Real Madrid relationship is not great and 2) Wenger rarely spends the type of dinero that Real is likely to be looking for.

I would be kind of surprised to see Tottenham spends that type of money on another striker in Baptista with the number that they have or Baptista or Beckham actually going to a non-CL team as it would bring Baptista nowhere closer to the Brazillian National Team nor Beckham the level of prestige he is used to.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #14
Critch
lolzcat

Yeah, I agree Man Utd are unlikely, Arsenal too for the reasons you state. If he did move on I'd think Spurs could be possible, Beckham is from London, started off at Spurs, and London would suit his wife's media aspirations. Looks like Baptista will be staying at Sevilla, so they've got the 14mil pounds to throw about. So Spurs might be an option, especially since they seem desperate to be seen as a big London club again.

Other than them I'm not sure where he could end up if he did move, assuming he went back to England. Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Everton, Man City, Birmingham City, Aston Villa might have the cash? All seem a bit low profile for a 'superstar' like Beckham
Old 07-23-2005, 12:11 PM   #15
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

So Real throws millions at another big superstar and yet they still can't seem to win the league.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:23 PM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

But I'm sure they make a shit load more money than Barcelona or Valencia or Deportivo la Coruna or whoever in the Spanish league because of merchandizing. That's definetly a big part as well.

And they haven't missed out Europe since the galacticos period either.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:19 PM   #17
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
So Real throws millions at another big superstar and yet they still can't seem to win the league.

I wouldn't bet against them this season. After they brought in Luxemburgo as their coach they were a different team, they were too far back to really compete but they kept it close and ended up only 4 points behind Barcelona. This close season so far Luxemburgo has concentrated on bringing in a couple of squad players who can step in when the Galacticos are injured rather than relying on young players, so they should be better balanced to cope with a long season.

Luxemburgo has been successful wherever he's been, he knows what he's doing, and so it should be a different kind of Real Madrid team this season. It should be a well-organized team put together to play on the field instead of just a collection of names that can sell merchandizing.

Last edited by Critch : 07-23-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #18
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I agree Man Utd are unlikely, Arsenal too for the reasons you state. If he did move on I'd think Spurs could be possible, Beckham is from London, started off at Spurs, and London would suit his wife's media aspirations. Looks like Baptista will be staying at Sevilla, so they've got the 14mil pounds to throw about. So Spurs might be an option, especially since they seem desperate to be seen as a big London club again.

Other than them I'm not sure where he could end up if he did move, assuming he went back to England. Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Everton, Man City, Birmingham City, Aston Villa might have the cash? All seem a bit low profile for a 'superstar' like Beckham
Could Beckham ever come to the MLS? I know its a step down, but from him and his wife, them seem to want to move to LA after he is done playing, and seems to always kick around the though of playing here at the end of his career.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:42 PM   #19
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Given his wife's aspiration, I wouldn't think MLS would be out of the question. But I would figure on far later in his career than now. I also don't think MLS can afford Real's price tag nor his contractual request now.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:08 AM   #20
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Would it really matter if Beckham came to the States? Pele tried it and barely elicited a collective yawn from the US sporting community. Maybe when he's clearly near the end I could see him doing it to stir some publicity, but I don't see him needing the US market right now. In fact, I think it would pretty much kill his marketing opportunities overseas while developing pretty much nothing over here. I know some dreamers out there think he would take the US by storm, but I'm not seeing it. Initially he'd be a curiosity because I'm sure Nike or someone would pour a ton of money into the Beckham hype machine, but eventually it would wear off and he'd be left with a big contract (probably killing the team paying it) and not much else.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #21
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Beckham's not coming to the US until after he retires from the English national team, and when Real don't want him anymore- his salary right now is equivalent to about 50% of MLS' total wage package. Think 2010.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:58 PM   #22
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I agree Man Utd are unlikely, Arsenal too for the reasons you state. If he did move on I'd think Spurs could be possible, Beckham is from London, started off at Spurs, and London would suit his wife's media aspirations.

Not to be picky but I'm 99% sure Beckham was "signed" to United at 11 years old and was never in any organised Spurs youth team.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 03:39 PM   #23
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
Not to be picky but I'm 99% sure Beckham was "signed" to United at 11 years old and was never in any organised Spurs youth team.

No, he didn't sign with Man Utd til he was 16, until then he's attended the Spurs School of Excellence and also played trials for Leyton Orient. He's one of the youth players that Ferguson gets the credit for who was actually poached from another teams youths. It mentions it on his bio on the Man Utd website.

Last edited by Critch : 07-24-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:46 PM   #24
bhlloy
Coordinator

I stand corrected - ironically my best mate is a huge Orient fan. That would have been a rather large coup for them.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 04:56 PM   #25
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
ironically my best mate is a huge Orient fan

Send him my condolences
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote