Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-19-2005, 02:29 PM   #1
sabotai
General Manager

Dogs and Carpets

So I have the day off. Hurray! I wake up, head to the kitchen to grab some breakfast before I get settled in for a day of working on my tennis sim...and there it is. Dog crap on the carpet. Now, my kitchen is MOSTLY hard floor, except for a small carpet put near the back door.

Why? The kitchen is 95% hard floor, yet my dog decides that it's going to squat and plop right in the middle of the carpet! I don't get it. Ok, it's a dog. I understand from time to time it can't hold it in. I mean, sometimes I get the stomach aches and suddenly, without warning, NEED to go. I can run off to the bathroom, a dog has to be let out.

I'm not mad at my dog for having an accident. She is old. But, why the hell does it always have to be on the carpets!? The living room is 75% hard floor, the kitchen 95% hard floor, yet whenever she throws up or has an accident it has to ALWAYS be on the damn carpets!

Just venting...anyone have an idea or theory as to why they always seem to target the carpets? She isn't my first or only dog and they've all seemed to prefer the carpeted area.

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

the hardwood floor is cold man
Old 07-19-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
So I have the day off. Hurray! I wake up, head to the kitchen to grab some breakfast before I get settled in for a day of working on my tennis sim...and there it is. Dog crap on the carpet. Now, my kitchen is MOSTLY hard floor, except for a small carpet put near the back door.

Why? The kitchen is 95% hard floor, yet my dog decides that it's going to squat and plop right in the middle of the carpet! I don't get it. Ok, it's a dog. I understand from time to time it can't hold it in. I mean, sometimes I get the stomach aches and suddenly, without warning, NEED to go. I can run off to the bathroom, a dog has to be let out.

I'm not mad at my dog for having an accident. She is old. But, why the hell does it always have to be on the carpets!? The living room is 75% hard floor, the kitchen 95% hard floor, yet whenever she throws up or has an accident it has to ALWAYS be on the damn carpets!

Just venting...anyone have an idea or theory as to why they always seem to target the carpets? She isn't my first or only dog and they've all seemed to prefer the carpeted area.

My crazy theory is that dogs are usually trained to go outdoors, on the grass (with notable exceptions, of course). Let's say you're a color-blind animal who has just gotten the sudden, overwhelming urge to crap. What looks more like grass to you? The carpet or the hard, slick floor?
Aylmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #4
korme
Go Reds

cold on dog balls
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #5
PilotMan
Head Coach

Sab, after 2 dogs, sick, old, 3 kids, diapers, and potty training, I have this to tell you.

"You'll get so used to cleaning up messes that this becomes so minor it's trivial."

For instance, there was a day where one of my dogs had shat blood all over the kitchen, and later the same day or week my youngest decided to take off his diaper in his crib, and use the poop to paint. Or the time, my 3 yo, who was potty training. Took a dump in his room, during nap time, and then played with it and his trainset. He announced to my wife (who was asleep), "Mom! I have a poop train!" and fully expected to be praised for it.

Good thing for me I was away on trips for these and Mrs. PilotMan got the job of cleanup. I love that woman.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Maybe because the carpet is by the back door and she was trying to get out?

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:49 PM   #7
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmar
My crazy theory is that dogs are usually trained to go outdoors, on the grass (with notable exceptions, of course). Let's say you're a color-blind animal who has just gotten the sudden, overwhelming urge to crap. What looks more like grass to you? The carpet or the hard, slick floor?

This may not be that far off. Dogs get used to going on a particular type of surface, and once trained for it will continue to look for that type of surface. And the carpet is a lot more like the grass than the floor.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:51 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
This may not be that far off. Dogs get used to going on a particular type of surface, and once trained for it will continue to look for that type of surface. And the carpet is a lot more like the grass than the floor.

I guess it's a trade off then. Doing their business on the carpets, but always leaving the sidewalk and deck clean.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
"Mom! I have a poop train!"
QOTM
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:12 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I decided to be nice and let my dog inside yesterday after work because it's been so damn hot here in Missouri, I hear him whining so I let him in and he hikes his leg up on the kitchen chair and takes a piss. I stand there for a min and say, "What in the F are you doing?" .. back outside for your ass! Oh I was pissed. In fact just reading this thread makes me pissed at my dog again.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-19-2005 at 04:13 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:20 PM   #11
korme
Go Reds

My 2 indoor cats regularly poop in our living room. Like every other day. They are 15 years old and 20+ pounds, so I can't blame them. The toilet is such a far walk for them down in the basement.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:13 PM   #12
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
My 2 indoor cats regularly poop in our living room. Like every other day. They are 15 years old and 20+ pounds, so I can't blame them. The toilet is such a far walk for them down in the basement.

20+ pounds!? Damn!
Old 07-19-2005, 09:09 PM   #13
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

We got another Great Dane a few months back. She is about 6 years old, and was somewhat of a show dog, although she never liked it much I guess and that is one of the reason they lady was giving her up. We had been told she went through obidience training, was oh so great, blah blah blah.

We get her home and she does ok for a day or so. Then boom, she craps in the living room, one of the few rooms with carpet. Doh. She shat on that carpet a few more times over the next week. Now she is outside with the other dogs.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:12 PM   #14
JeeberD
General Manager

I've noticed that my cats won't cough up hairballs anywhere but on the carpet. If I hear the starting to gag, I can grab them and put them on the tile, but they'll run right back onto the carpet. If I put them in the bathroom, they'll hack it up on the little rug...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:14 PM   #15
Suicane75
Coordinator

If a great dane ever shit inside my house id move. Thats like an elephant dump.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:26 PM   #16
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
If a great dane ever shit inside my house id move. Thats like an elephant dump.

lol. And to think when I saw your name as the last post I was expecting a story about you shitting on the carpet when you were younger and your mom being pissed.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:30 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I've noticed that my cats won't cough up hairballs anywhere but on the carpet. If I hear the starting to gag, I can grab them and put them on the tile, but they'll run right back onto the carpet. If I put them in the bathroom, they'll hack it up on the little rug...

Same with my cats.

Fortunately, they are young and nimble enough to always crap in their litterbox.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:32 PM   #18
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
lol. And to think when I saw your name as the last post I was expecting a story about you shitting on the carpet when you were younger and your mom being pissed.

No, but i had a friend who had a great dane, and i saw it dump, and i'd be....out....of.....there.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:38 PM   #19
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No, but i had a friend who had a great dane, and i saw it dump, and i'd be....out....of.....there.

There goes my plan to invite you over to camp out in a tent in my backyard for a night.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:54 PM   #20
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
There goes my plan to invite you over to camp out in a tent in my backyard for a night.

A night you're home a night you're away? I Keeeeed.
But really, i wanna lick her feet.

Do you still have a backyard or did the hurricane miss you?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:10 PM   #21
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
A night you're home a night you're away? I Keeeeed.
But really, i wanna lick her feet.

Do you still have a backyard or did the hurricane miss you?

her feet are nice.

and the hurricane has slowed down, not gonna hit until early morning i guess.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:49 AM   #22
sportsfan13
H.S. Freshman Team

The first time my pup actually shat on the hardwood floors instead of the carpet, I wanted to reward her instead of punish. It was sooo much easier to clean up. We're currently working on getting hardwood floors through the whole house though, so that'll be nice!
sportsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:10 PM   #23
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Was the shit hard or soft? Makes a big difference.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:14 PM   #24
Samdari
Roster Filler

I entered this thread to mention my son shit on the carpet for the first time the other day (his business simply exceeded the diaper's capacity). But, after reading PilotMan's post, it seems so unimportant.

I would have praised him, however, had he made a train out of it.