Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2005, 06:42 PM   #1
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Question about Ebay

I just bought something off of Ebay. I haven't been on Ebay since 1999.

Question for those in the know...do you have to just deal with the fact that people overcharge severely for shipping?

sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71

Question for those in the know...do you have to just deal with the fact that people overcharge severely for shipping?

You just gotta deal, and figure that expensive "handling" into the cost of buying an item.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:58 PM   #3
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Usually you can tell what the shipping will be before you place the bid. I never bid for an item unless they let me know what the shipping will be.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:02 PM   #4
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkelly52
Usually you can tell what the shipping will be before you place the bid. I never bid for an item unless they let me know what the shipping will be.

What he said.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:03 PM   #5
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71

For a seller, it's a way to get around Ebay's ever-increasing % take of the final bid price. I've bid on and won stuff for 1 cent, where the real cost was in the added shipping. As long as they're upfront about shipping costs in the auction listing itself, that's cool - never buy if it's not mentioned.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What Molson said basically, as long as you know the shipping/handling charges up front, then the decision to buy is up to so. I pretty much bid accordingly, always including the s/h charges into deciding "what is this item worth to me."
Old 07-18-2005, 07:23 PM   #7
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
You just gotta deal, and figure that expensive "handling" into the cost of buying an item.

Yep. The most extreme example I can give was $20 shipping for a single card that cost $3.85 to ship Priority Mail. The most I wanted to pay for the card was $225 so my snipe was set for $205.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:28 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Yep. The most extreme example I can give was $20 shipping for a single card that cost $3.85 to ship Priority Mail. The most I wanted to pay for the card was $225 so my snipe was set for $205.

Wow. What card?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:36 PM   #9
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Wow. What card?

SI

1961 Topps Hank Aaron All-Star PSA 8

After buying a couple of Mantles in the past few months, that card was cheap!
Old 07-18-2005, 07:45 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1961 Topps Hank Aaron All-Star PSA 8

After buying a couple of Mantles in the past few months, that card was cheap!

Wow- beautiful card. Only card I've ever been associated with in nearly that class was my dad's dream card my sister, mom, and I got for him one Christmas (PSA 8 1954 Ernie Banks)

SI

Old 07-18-2005, 08:08 PM   #11
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Thanks, all. I knew what the shipping was...I just didn't know what it should be. If that makes sense. Live and learn.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:29 PM   #12
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Wow- beautiful card. Only card I've ever been associated with in nearly that class was my dad's dream card my sister, mom, and I got for him one Christmas (PSA 8 1954 Ernie Banks)

SI

That truly is a dream card. Only about 125 exist in that condition (or better).

For the uninitiated, the 1954 card is Ernie's rookie card.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:42 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That truly is a dream card. Only about 125 exist in that condition (or better).

For the uninitiated, the 1954 card is Ernie's rookie card.

Well, it might have been a "cheating PS8". In pristine condition corner and edgewise but a bit off-center. I would have figured it a 6 or 7 because of how far off it was... perfect gift for a lifelong Cubs fan who collected cards with his son

SI

Old 07-19-2005, 02:23 AM   #14
Tara
Mascot

I generally buy from international seller (I mean out of Italy). What happen to me very often, (generally fom US, Canadian sellers), is to pay 10$/14$ for global priority letters and wait a month for something that has on a 4$ stamp. Obviously you can't complain...the item is arrived. Beside this I've found very correct sellers who give you exactly what you pay.
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:53 AM   #15
sabotai
General Manager

Awhile ago I sold off a bunch of old CDs (mostly from my "What the hell was wrong with me? I listened to this crap?" era. ). I charged $3 shipping which probably seemed high to those who got the CD and saw the $1 on the stamp. But when you factor in the cost of the shipping (the package itself), the fees eBay charges and the fees PayPal charges if you take that as a form of payment, it came out to about $3 for me. If they used a credit card over PayPal, I took a hit off the money from the auction (an extra fee charged by PayPal if someone used a credit card).

Most people probably use shipping as a way to squeeze a few more bucks out of people, but whenever I see a DVD or CD with shipping costs of $4 or $5, I can pretty much understand. I haven't sold anything in awhile so I wouldn't be surprised if the fees eBay and PayPal charge are now in that range.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:33 PM   #16
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Man Sued Over Mailing Of Feces

POSTED: 12:56 am EDT July 17, 2005
UPDATED: 4:06 pm EDT July 18, 2005

ST. LOUIS -- A man is being sued by Missouri Attorney General Jay Nixon for allegedly sending garbage and even feces to eBay customers who thought they were bidding for new or slightly used clothing.

Slideshow

MORE IMAGES
Click here for the strangest images on Local6.com (updated daily).
Recent Most Popular
Disney scans fingers of visitors

Nixon filed the fraud suit against Michael D. Pickens of Bethany. His wife, Tamera Pickens, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he is disabled with a rare blood disease, is unemployed and has never sold anything over the Internet.

The suit claims Internet ads promised top-quality clothes, including ads from Victoria Secret, Banana Republic and other well-known brands. When customers placed their orders through the online auction site eBay, the suit says, Pickens arranged for the shipment to come from companies that sell industrial rags, unwanted clothing or household items meant for poor countries. In one case, a customer received feces.

Nixon said Pickens either ignored or refused requests for refunds.

The lawsuit, filed in Harrison County Circuit Court, seeks a permanent injunction and fines of $1,000 per violation.