Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-07-2005, 03:48 AM   #1
SargentPeppers
n00b

Need Advice on Baseball Management Sim

I am a avid follower of FOF, i own TCY and FOF4 and have played them into the ground. I greatler prefer TCY but dont expect a sequal in the near future. Therefore, after having played MVP Baseball 05 a tonne (and simply simming season with the occassionally manager mode in the playoffs) i want to make the move to a real Baseball Sim game. I have done some research and it seems that the best ones of i have heard of are OOTP6.5, Pure Sim Baseball 5, and Baseball Mogul 06. I would like some advice from the my number crunchin breathren on this board as to which is the best. They all seem to be about 30bucks so which is the best, most fun, and most realistic. Thanks alot.

Sargent Peppers

SargentPeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:54 AM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

Best and most fun are entirely suggestive.

I can't say anything about Puresim, not having played it, but OOTP 6.5 has a very solid stats engine and is quite realistic in that. Unfortunately, salaries can get a little outrageous there. Customization is also a big bonus with OOTP, though doing expansion on it is a pain in the ass.

Baseball Mogul 06 is more user-friendly than OOTP 6.5 and handles expansion a *lot* better than OOTP does and has some cool personality type features, but doesn't feel as solid a simulation as OOTP.

I'd say download the demos and try them all.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:00 AM   #3
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Go for Mogul, it's a good starting tool until ootp 7 later on this year.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:23 AM   #4
SargentPeppers
n00b

I've pretty much narrowed it down to OOTP and BM. From what ive read OOTP has a better stat engine and is a slightly better simulation. While BM is easier to use. Would someone tell me which of those 2 differences is more influential, Is the simulation that bad in BM or is the OOTP interface more of a deterent. Thanks alot.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:32 AM   #5
21C
College Prospect

Your best option is to try them yourself. Both have demos and they give you the best idea of what you'll like or dislike.

Mogul http://www.sportsmogul.com/demo/bb2k6-demo-setup.exe
OOTP http://www.ootpdevfiles.com/ootp/ootp6demosetup.exe

Last edited by 21C : 07-08-2005 at 01:32 AM.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:37 AM   #6
Zippo
High School JV

OOTP is above and byond all others in any aspect, just my personal opinion. Although I've only tried the demos of puresim and mogul.

Last edited by Zippo : 07-08-2005 at 01:37 AM.
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:07 AM   #7
SargentPeppers
n00b

I have tried the demos, however, i cant get a real good feel for the simulation engine through the 2or3 months of the season the demo lets you play....i like the interface of Mogul better but need to know if its sim engine is defficient enough to merit buy OOTP anyway?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:46 AM   #8
21C
College Prospect

The Mogul demo lets you play out a whole season.

I personally like both. If you want to sim seasons quickly then Mogul has the edge. It has a better financial model as well.

OOTP is better if you like to play out your games or if you want a deeper set of stats to use. You have more control of your team as well as setting lineups for lefties and righties.

Both games allow you to tweak settings to get the right sort of season stats you like - more HRs or lower ERAs.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:36 AM   #9
Galaril
Pro Starter

I too am looking for the best historical sim baseball game. I want to play the games using the real major leagues from 2004 onward. I am going to try to break the duldrums my RedSox are in real life kind of lik evoodoo magic. Anyways, which of the two solid baseball sims ,no thnaks Baseball Mogul that one is a steaming pile of shit to be honest. I really like Shaun's Puresim but Matrix seems to have really dragged the release of the next version out to the point that I have lost interested in it sad to say. Plus, the fact there is no quick way to plug in a MLB setup is an annoying point. So, how is OOTP 6.5 is it? Is it worth the ten bucks? How is it as far as real MLB is concerned? No Fictional which is where puresim seems to shine. Thanks.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #10
Icy
Pro Starter

For current MLB i vote for OOTP, you can even download an autoinstall file that will set it up for you with a few clicks, with real logos, rosters, players ratings, team names, stadiums, etc etc. Of course that mlb2k5 pack has been done by fans so it's totaly free. You can find that mlb2k5 pack at the ootp mods forum.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:41 PM   #11
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
For current MLB i vote for OOTP, you can even download an autoinstall file that will set it up for you with a few clicks, with real logos, rosters, players ratings, team names, stadiums, etc etc. Of course that mlb2k5 pack has been done by fans so it's totaly free. You can find that mlb2k5 pack at the ootp mods forum.

Thanks alot!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:45 PM   #12
Raven
College Prospect

Keep in mind, there was "supposed" to be a OOTP7 released this year. Although I haven't heard the latest word, originally it was supposed to be out around August/September.

Since it hasn't been released yet, it may not come out until next April. Maybe someone else can give the latest news on a release date, but you should at least know that before you purchase v6.5.

Personaly, I don't think Mogul is worth the money. I've never had any problems with the OOTP interface, and for the most part the stats generation have come a long way, and are pretty acceptable. While OOTP may not be a perfect game, I think it is the best available and worth the money. I can't say the game for Mogul.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:47 PM   #13
FBPro
College Starter

OOTP 2006 out in Spring '06
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=107458
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:00 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

As of right now, I would go with Puresim. In fact, it's going to be released under the Matrix label very soon and Shaun is going to work on some expansion packs once it's out.

I'm speaking purely from a "solo" player point of view. OOTP is fun, but for a newbie, I believe there is too much to setup in the game to get it playing well. In other words, out of the box, Puresim is pure fun. lol

I have a 16 team fictional league setup with expansion enabled and I'm having a blast. At least give it a shot and try the demo.

IF you want to waste your cash on Baseball Mogul, go for it. I have a copy I'll sell you for half price. PM me if your interested, or anyone for that matter.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 09-20-2005 at 11:01 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:33 PM   #15
Galaril
Pro Starter

Actually I already wsated my money on mogul a while back. i agree Puresim is the funnest game but I think it is setup better to do fictional league solo stuff. I want to do MLB replay and it's alot easier less time consuming to setup for MLB than Puresim IMHO.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-20-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:34 PM   #16
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

OOTP definately.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:47 AM   #17
AgustusM
College Prospect

OOTP is hand down the best baseball sim available IMO
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:27 AM   #18
JimboJ
High School Varsity

IMO, anyone who tells you that OOTP is definitely better than Puresim, or vice versa, is shortchanging you. Both of these games are very good. One may be better than the other at doing certain things, but neither stands out head and shoulders over the other. And alot of people have been playing OOTP longer, and therefore are more loyal to that particular game. But Puresim has made huge improvements over the past year.

If you are REALLY looking for the best game, you owe it to yourself to try the demo of both, and decide for yourself.

Last edited by JimboJ : 09-21-2005 at 07:27 AM.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:12 PM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

OOTP is definitly better for an MLB type league structure.. that I will agree on.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote