Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

OT: Baseball Question

Driving home tonight I was thinking about this, and I've been thinking about it for a few days and never found a satisfactory answer: why aren't catchers (generally speaking, with a few exceptions) better hitters? Specifically with regards to having a lower number of strikeouts and a higher number of walks? They get to see the strike zone more often than any other player on the field and should understand by the time the lineup rolls around to them (at least the 2nd or 3rd time if not the 1st) the way the umpire is calling the particular game. So why aren't they better hitters generally?

And no "because catcher isn't a highly-valued offensive position" answer, because what I'm saying is that it seems like it should be and catchers should hit better.

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:18 PM   #2
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Because catcher isn't a highly-valued offensive position.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

In general, you need to be a much better defensive player to play C than anywhere else on the field, except maybe shortstop, because there are so many chances to screw up. It also take a lot of skills that aren't really used in the rest of the field. That limits the pool of available players that can play the position, which makes it rare that a good hitter will be there. For instance, if 1 in 10 players is a great hitter, and 1 in 5 players can play good defense in the outfield, it means that 1 in 50 outfielders will be able to do both well. If 1 in 10 catchers play good defense, it means that 1 in 100 will be able to do both well. Poor defensive catchers are just moved to the outfield, 1B, or DH early in their careers if they can hit. Catchers probably are better hitters for the reason you mention, but the effect is dwarfed by the relative talent difference.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:26 PM   #4
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Well, why aren't pitchers better hitters?

Really, if you are a very good defensive catcher, you could have more value than if you're just a very good hitter. I'm sure that there are catchers who are average on offense and defense, but it appears that you get more overall value from a catcher who's better than average on defense even if his offense suffers. The same thing (although to a different degree, I would imagine) is true of shortstops. How do you think Rey Ordoņez lasted so long? At catcher and shortstop, lack of defensive ability can hurt a lot more than lack of offensive ability.

I'm making some assumptions here because, although I'm certain that guys like Bill James have studied this issue, I haven't put any real work into it. It makes sense in my head, though.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:31 PM   #5
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

If you are a good a hitting catcher, the organization will try to switch you to some other position because being a catcher takes a toll on your body.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #6
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
If you are a good a hitting catcher, the organization will try to switch you to some other position because being a catcher takes a toll on your body.

And if you are a really good-hitting catcher AND a really good-fielding catcher?

Re: Joe Mauer
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:39 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Exhibit 1: Biggio, Craig

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:49 PM   #8
weinstein7
High School JV

Another reason is that catching is so physically taxing, its hard to be consistent as a hitter. Catchers are constantly getting whacked with foul tips, backswings, wild-pitches, etc.
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:23 AM   #9
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Exhibit 1: Biggio, Craig

Found it funny that currently there is pretty much the reverse Biggio situation in Cleveland. Victor Martinez is a converted shortstop still learning the catcher position.

Still kind of surprised that Jason Kendall has lasted (and done as well) as long as he has behind the plate. Figured with his speed that the Pirates would have had him out at 2B or the OF. Anybody know if they experimented with him in that sense? I know they had a stud catcher coming through their system (can't remember the name or if he panned out) and thought they'd try and keep him in a different capacity.

Sorry for the mini thread jack, I'm done now.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:48 AM   #10
Raven
College Prospect

Quote:

I think this is the best answer you are going to get. Catchers usually need a day off, once per week (or every two weeks). A good hitter sitting once per week really hurts a team. So now the guy plays 140 games a year, 22 games on the bench (or as a Pinch hitter). This isn't as dramatic in the AL where that hitter could serve as DH on those days.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:51 AM   #11
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'd be interested to see a study about the number of pitches a catcher sees during his at-bat relative to the rest of the lineup. I was thinking maybe they have a tendency to rush their ABs a little more because it takes them longer to prepare for the defensive half of the inning than any other player on the field, and if that were the case, perhaps they're just less likely to see a pitch to drive than, say, a right fielder or third baseman.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:10 AM   #12
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

I seriously doubt that there is any difference between a catcher's ABs and the ABs of other hitters of similar stats/tendencies. The whole thing about being more familiar with pitching or whatever sounds like it would be of some help, but I doubt it actually effects anything. Looking at a pitch from a catcher's position must be entirely different from seeing it as a batter. Also, by the time a player is major league level he's probably reached his peak level of reading pitches regardless of what position he plays.

If you're specifically referring to the strikezone being called by a particular umpire that day, I'd guess that it's practically impossible for hitters to take that into consideration, regardless of how well they recognize it. They simply don't have enough time for anything but reflexes.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 07-07-2005 at 01:10 AM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:16 AM   #13
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
And if you are a really good-hitting catcher AND a really good-fielding catcher?

Re: Joe Mauer

He'll certainly not be playing catcher for very long - unless he is stubborn like Piazza.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:58 AM   #14
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Still kind of surprised that Jason Kendall has lasted (and done as well) as long as he has behind the plate. Figured with his speed that the Pirates would have had him out at 2B or the OF. Anybody know if they experimented with him in that sense? I know they had a stud catcher coming through their system (can't remember the name or if he panned out) and thought they'd try and keep him in a different capacity.

Isn't he in Oakland now?

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #15
Travis
Pro Rookie

Yeah, Kendall is in Oakland now, but from what I can remember, right around the time he ended up leaving Pittsburgh, they were a stud catcher coming through their minor league system that was going to replace him. I'm still surprised that they had never moved him (or maybe they tried and he didn't want to) to a different spot to try and keep him with the system and prolong his career (ala Biggio).
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #16
henry296
College Starter

There was some very brief trials with Kendall in the outfield, probably around 2002-3. It was shortly after his major ankle injury. He wasn't very happy with it and he didn't do to well.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:33 PM   #17
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Yeah, Kendall is in Oakland now, but from what I can remember, right around the time he ended up leaving Pittsburgh, they were a stud catcher coming through their minor league system that was going to replace him. I'm still surprised that they had never moved him (or maybe they tried and he didn't want to) to a different spot to try and keep him with the system and prolong his career (ala Biggio).

I seem to remember Kendall playing some outfield( Center or Left field), but not being very good in the field.