Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2005, 06:30 PM   #1
maximus
Banned

Now, I'm no cook... (Grilling out related)

..and I've never claimed to be one. In fact I just recently "started" to get good at grilling out. However, for the life of me I cannot grill chicken right. I used to just throw the legs, thighs, ect onto the grill and then let it cook that way but found that it took a very long time to cook like that and then by the end of the chicken cooking they would all be hard and chared. So anyways, someone sugested that I boil the chicken first which made a TON of difference and it worked OK, thats that.

Now comes today. I want to grill out some boneless/skinless chicken breast. In order for them not to become all screwed up like I described above, do I still need to boil the breast before I put it onto the grill? Or is there a better way of doing boneless/skinless chicken breast on the grill? I'm not asking about flavor but I am asking about what is the best way to cook/grill chicken on the grill.

Thanks.

maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I wouldnt think so. since boneless skinless pieces are pretty small. Just make sure the temp of your grill is a bit lower to compensate higher temp required to cook the meat through.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well, I always marinate mine overnight in Italian dressing. If you don't, that's fine.

MAKE SURE your grill is not too hot. Probably wait a good 45 mins + until you put the chicken on. If it's getting charbroiled to get cooked through, your grill is too hot.

If you're using a gas (cough) grill, about medium should do.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:39 PM   #4
Franklinnoble
Banned

You need to find a good woman and stop worrying about these sort of things, Nancy-boy.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Women? Grill? Im sorry FN, but your a pansy if you need a woman to cook stuff for you on the grill...

Old 07-01-2005, 06:42 PM   #6
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Dear maximus,

I'm sorry to inform you that you have reached the limit on the number of grilling-related threads you can start on this board. Please consider other options such as continuing discussion in an older thread or starting threads that have no relation to grilling. Such topics could include how much you hate a band, how much you hate a movie, or how much you hate a sport.

Thanks,
Forum Management
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
You need to find a good woman and stop worrying about these sort of things, Nancy-boy.

LOL! Nancy-boy...thats beautiful. Thanks Franklinnoble, you've made me smile for the first time today. LOL!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 06:51 PM   #8
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

When I prepare chicken or ribs on the grill it's generally the same thing. The only thing I vary is the sauce.

Put the meat in a pot. Pour in Corona until all the meat is submerged. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for two hours. Dump the beer and put the meat on the grill. Lawrey's & black pepper to season. When turning the meat, pour more fresh beer on the meat, then down the throat. Then re-season. Before the meat is done, brush sauce (BBQ or Jerk) on the meat. Best BBQ sauce is Gates (from K.C.)
Old 07-01-2005, 06:52 PM   #9
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Well, I always marinate mine overnight in Italian dressing. If you don't, that's fine.

MAKE SURE your grill is not too hot. Probably wait a good 45 mins + until you put the chicken on. If it's getting charbroiled to get cooked through, your grill is too hot.

If you're using a gas (cough) grill, about medium should do.

Todd

No gas here friend. I use good'ole charcol. Hmm, I bet thats what I did wrong before. I was throwing the chicken on when it was too hot. I do not have a temp reader so I'm screwed there but I will try to wait that 45 mins (or so) like you mentioned. Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:57 PM   #10
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
When I prepare chicken or ribs on the grill it's generally the same thing. The only thing I vary is the sauce.

Put the meat in a pot. Pour in Corona until all the meat is submerged. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for two hours. Dump the beer and put the meat on the grill. Lawrey's & black pepper to season. When turning the meat, pour more fresh beer on the meat, then down the throat. Then re-season. Before the meat is done, brush sauce (BBQ or Jerk) on the meat. Best BBQ sauce is Gates (from K.C.)

does the beer give the flavor or more for tendering it?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:57 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I don't have a thermometer to test the heat.. but the coals should be white.

I like to pile mine up in the middle and leave room around the edges to pull it back from the heat if necessary.

Good luck!
Old 07-01-2005, 06:58 PM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic

I think he just likes to drink the heck out of some beer.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:59 PM   #13
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
No gas here friend. I use good'ole charcol. Hmm, I bet thats what I did wrong before. I was throwing the chicken on when it was too hot. I do not have a temp reader so I'm screwed there but I will try to wait that 45 mins (or so) like you mentioned. Thanks for the tips guys.

if i remember before

there use to be a hand test. so many seconds putting your hand on top of the grill you will know if its too hot or cold?
Old 07-01-2005, 07:07 PM   #14
maximus
Banned

Quote:
if i remember before

there use to be a hand test. so many seconds putting your hand on top of the grill you will know if its too hot or cold?

OH YEAH! I'll remember to do that.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:16 PM   #15
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

The boiling in beer makes the meat so tender it practically falls off the bone. My mother does this now, and she doesn't drink.

Pouring it on the meat while grilling keeps it moist. If you're not into the pouring it down your throat thing (yes, I do love me some beer!) you can save the beer you boiled the meat in and use that on the meat while grilling.

I actually hate using the beer for cooking (since it could be used for drinking) but it makes it so tender and moist I make the sacrifice!

I used to overdo the spices but got lazy one time and simply went with the seasoned salt and black pepper. The flavor of the meat just came right out!

Of course this is not exact. Soaking the meat in beer overnight is an option. Cutting down on the simmering time is another. Sometimes I soak it overnight, then simmer it for 1/2 to one hour. That comes out real nice too!
Old 07-01-2005, 07:18 PM   #16
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Oh, and you can use a gas grill if you throw a few charcoal briquettes on it. Then you still get that smokey/charcoal flavor.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:24 PM   #17
jbmagic
Pro Starter

BigJohn&TheLions

thanks

so after eating the chicken were you guys all drunk

does the chicken taste like beer? what type of beer you use.

and agin thanks for the great tips
Old 07-01-2005, 07:39 PM   #18
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

The alcohol is burned off in the grilling, so if it is intoxication you are looking for you will have to manually place a new 12 oz container of your favorite adult beverage!

And no, the chicken does not taste like beer, but the flavor is different if you use a good beer like Corona compared to one of those one dollar 40-oz of Magnum malt Liquor.

And Coors Light is not beer. If you want that flavor, just pee on it.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:50 PM   #19
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:

You just made the 24oz. can of CL I have in the fridge cry.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:00 PM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble

My kingdom for a blasphemer icon

WHAT KIND OF INSANITY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, BOY?!? A WOMAN?!? TO DO GRILLING?!?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:05 PM   #21
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Dear maximus,

I'm sorry to inform you that you have reached the limit on the number of grilling-related threads you can start on this board. Please consider other options such as continuing discussion in an older thread or starting threads that have no relation to grilling. Such topics could include how much you hate a band, how much you hate a movie, or how much you hate a sport.

Thanks,
Forum Management

Awesome

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 08:14 AM   #22
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
The alcohol is burned off in the grilling, so if it is intoxication you are looking for you will have to manually place a new 12 oz container of your favorite adult beverage!

And no, the chicken does not taste like beer, but the flavor is different if you use a good beer like Corona compared to one of those one dollar 40-oz of Magnum malt Liquor.

Corona is a good beer? Since when?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:49 AM   #23
bbor
Pro Starter

With all meat slow n low is the way to go....high heat dries out meat.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 12:54 PM   #24
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I grill a lot of chicken over charcoal. First of all, definitely let the coals ash over (turn white) before throwing the chicken on. If you do this, you'll have the most even heat.

Second, I usually pile the coals more towards one side of the kettle, giving me a "hot" zone and a "warm" zone. The hot zone can be used for searing, and then you complete the cooking in the warm zone. This is especially useful if you're cooking a variety of foods at the same time (i.e. meat & veggies), or:

Third, if you have chicken pieces of different sizes (i.e. breast & wing), make sure to do the bigger pieces first, so they'll have longer to "cook through" in the warm zone.

Good luck!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:51 PM   #25
jbmagic
Pro Starter

for charcoal what you guys recommend?
Old 07-02-2005, 04:20 PM   #26
Token Asian Guy
n00b

i'm a kingsford match light guy, it's never let me down. btw, all this grilling talk has inspired me to grill for my friends this holiday weekend. all i need to do is go out and buy a hat and an apron with a clever saying on it.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:27 PM   #27
Airhog
Captain Obvious

jbmagic: Any charcoal is good. I like kingford myself.

Old 07-02-2005, 04:37 PM   #28
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
jbmagic: Any charcoal is good. I like kingford myself.

thanks i been using that.

but i see now they have the Kingsford Regular Charcoal with Mesquite.

i might give that a try.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:03 PM   #29
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I personally cannot tell the difference, most of the volitals are removed during processing, so it won't impart much more flavor. If you want to add some flavor go with wood chips. However, when you are grilling, you rarely have enough time to impart much smoke into the meat.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:45 AM   #30
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
My kingdom for a blasphemer icon

WHAT KIND OF INSANITY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, BOY?!? A WOMAN?!? TO DO GRILLING?!?

SI

Let me explain to you how it works in my realm. I come home from work, my children are happy to see me, my wife greets me with a kiss, and a hot meal is ready for me on the table. I don't know where it comes from, and I don't care. All I know is that my woman is an outstanding cook and the food is always tasty and satisfying. As far as I'm concerned, I've reached the pinnacle of manhood, and while I can marinate and grill a chunk of meat as well as the next man, I'm quite happy to not have to worry about it on a regular basis.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote