Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2005, 06:19 AM   #1
Easy Mac

Umpires?

Seriously, whats up with these guys lately? I was watching the Braves last night, and I don't know what was going on with the home plate umpire, but I've never seen a catcher snap up like Estrada did and just get right in the face of an umpire like that, and then get thrown out only after he snaps up. I really have to say the umpire said something that caused him to snap up and get right in his face. Then I see the same thing happen in Philly.

Have these guys just gotten too arrogant and self-important? Personally, I think they need to be held more accountable and should be suspended sometimes. I think its obvious in at least the Atlanta case that the ump said something that made Estrada freak out, but now Estrada will probably be suspended a few games, and the ump is perfectly fine.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:22 AM   #2
Easy Mac

From cnnsi:

The only hit Beckett allowed was a two-out, fifth-inning single by McCann -- in the game because starter Johnny Estrada, manager Bobby Cox and injured left-hander Mike Hampton were ejected in the first inning for arguing with plate umpire Doug Eddings.

"He made some inappropriate comments towards me. That's why he was ejected," Eddings said, referring to Estrada.

Estrada said he was upset with Eddings' strike zone, and he appeared to bump the umpire after he was ejected. He also made an obscene gesture in Eddings' direction.

So, after waiting through a 2-hour, 46-minute delay to start the game, the trio returned to the clubhouse for another couple of hours waiting for the game to end.

Both Cox and Estrada insisted Eddings escalated the argument with coarse language.

"At one point, I said, 'Why are you yelling at me?"' Estrada said. "I don't think it's right, he can say what he wants and I can't."

Said Cox, referring to Eddings: "He did all the yelling and he did a real bad thing."
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:24 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
he did a real bad thing

A wedgie?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
A wedgie?

He thumped on the back of his helmet with his, ummm, love stick.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
He thumped on the back of his helmet with his, ummm, love stick.

He thumped on the back of his helmet with his helmet.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:55 AM   #6
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

He was appearently swearing at Estrada too, before Estrada started arguing that is.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
He thumped on the back of his helmet with his helmet.

Better.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:36 PM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Seriously, whats up with these guys lately? I was watching the Braves last night, and I don't know what was going on with the home plate umpire, but I've never seen a catcher snap up like Estrada did and just get right in the face of an umpire like that, and then get thrown out only after he snaps up. I really have to say the umpire said something that caused him to snap up and get right in his face. Then I see the same thing happen in Philly.

Have these guys just gotten too arrogant and self-important?

This is something I started thinking a couple weeks ago when Mike Piazza got thrown out for "arguing" a terrible 3rd strike call from the dugout. These umpires should be able to keep their god damn masks on and tune out anything that is being said from the dugout. Concentrate on the friggin' game.

All of these umpires have big egos, like anyone actually cares who the hell they are and if they are "shown up" or not. Do they really think that people who are watching players who argue calls and don't get thrown out of games are sitting around saying "Wow, that Piazza is really showing up the home plate ump! I feel bad for this guy!" Of course not. Keep your mask on and do your damn job.

I shouldn't know anything about these umpires; their names especially. Now as a Met fan I'll remember that Eric Cooper is a fuckin jackass.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #9
wbatl1
High School Varsity

I heard on the radio that the ump may have be using racial insults and the like, which (rightfully) pissed Johnny off. Now, this is sports radio information, so it may not be factual.

Last edited by wbatl1 : 07-01-2005 at 12:48 PM.
wbatl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:44 PM   #10
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
he did a real bad thing
He said a very bad word and then said, "I hate her, I wish she was dead."
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #11
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
This is something I started thinking a couple weeks ago when Mike Piazza got thrown out for "arguing" a terrible 3rd strike call from the dugout. These umpires should be able to keep their god damn masks on and tune out anything that is being said from the dugout. Concentrate on the friggin' game.

All of these umpires have big egos, like anyone actually cares who the hell they are and if they are "shown up" or not. Do they really think that people who are watching players who argue calls and don't get thrown out of games are sitting around saying "Wow, that Piazza is really showing up the home plate ump! I feel bad for this guy!" Of course not. Keep your mask on and do your damn job.

I shouldn't know anything about these umpires; their names especially. Now as a Met fan I'll remember that Eric Cooper is a fuckin jackass.

When you really think about it, the whole concept of an Umpire going off on a manager or player (verbally) is nuts. What other sport does this happen in? It doesn't happen in football: The ref just puts his whistle in his mouth and ignores the coach, it doesn't happen in hockey, and it doesn't really happen in basketball (Although I've seen a few back and forth altercations, but nothing like baseball).

I love baseball, but arguing with the ump seems to be more out of tradition than anything else. Maybe they need to come down harder on players and managers who leave the dugout to argue. There's nothing that looks dumber (on both sides) than to see an old, overweight guy running onto the field and screaming like a 5 year old.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #12
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Regarding the "showing the umpire up" aspect, I actually have a great deal more respect for the umpires that DON'T respond when a player bitches at them. It's not a pissing contest...the umpire is the "authority" and doesn't have to explain himself (although the cool ones do when something is unclear). He has the power of his position, so there's no need for that macho shit.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:36 PM   #13
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Well, if I was head of the umpires union, I'd probably recommend a strike by the umpires. I really think baseball would start treating their umpires better if they just went on strike.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
Well, if I was head of the umpires union, I'd probably recommend a strike by the umpires. I really think baseball would start treating their umpires better if they just went on strike.
Yeah, that worked so well last time

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-01-2005 at 04:13 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:23 PM   #15
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

THe umpires never seem to realize that they aren't the show - some of them seem to take a certain pride in showing players/managers up, by tossing them. These idiots need to realize their role.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote