Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
maximus
Banned

For you guitar players (hooking up a guitar to a PC question)

I have played guitar since I was 11 yrs old. Like an idiot I sold my Marshall cabinet about 6 yrs ago. I still hae the head however. Anyways, is there a way to hook your guitar up to the PC and play through the PC speakers and adjust eq (for a heavier sound, ect, ect) and such? I have an Audigy 2 Platinum addition (the one with the face plate). I want to start writing some instrumentals again but do not have the money for an 8-track with a drum system. I would like to be able to play my guitar through my PC and have the PC record my playing and then dub over that with solos and such? Is this possible an Audigy 2 Plat card? Is it even possible at all? All in all what would I need to accomplish this is it is possible?

I have been out of the loop on this stuff for about 6 yrs (when I sold my cobinet.

One more question, if the above is either an able thing or not, would it possible to hook up my marshall head to two Sony 200 a-piece (home theater" speakers? If so, how can I do this? I would need detailed info as I have never wired things up like that.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by maximus : 06-30-2005 at 08:56 PM.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:47 PM   #2
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
I have played guitar since I was 11 yrs old. Like an idiot I sold my Marshall cabinet about 6 yrs ago. I still hae the head however. Anyways, is there a way to hook your guitar up to the PC and play through the PC speakers and adjust eq (for a heavier sound, ect, ect) and such? I have an Audigy 2 Platinum addition (the one with the face plate). I want to start writing some instrumentals again but do not have the money for an 8-track with a drum system. I would like to be able to play my guitar through my PC and have the PC record my playing and then dub over that with solos and such? Is this possible an Audigy 2 Plat card? Is it even possible at all? All in all what would I need to accomplish this is it is possible?

I have been out of the loop on this stuff for about 6 yrs (when I sold my cobinet.

One more question, if the above is either an able thing or not, would it possible to hook up my marshall head to two Sony 200 a-piece (home theater" speakers? If so, how can I do this? I would need detailed info as I have never wired things up like that.

Thanks guys.

I'm sure there's a much better way to do this involving some extra hardware, but you can hook your guitar up directly to the line in on your sound card with a 1/4" to 1/8" converter. Just go into volume control -> recording and check "select" under line in and you should be good to go.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:56 PM   #3
mrsimperless
College Prospect

I would suggest just getting a pod and some headphones. Much easier. I do recording through my pc, but it doesn't work out too well. Everything goes through an 8-track mini disc recorder, but I'm really jsut using it as a mixer at the moment. Are you looking to record, or do you just need an amp?
Old 06-30-2005, 11:56 PM   #4
maximus
Banned

I also found this product called "Guitar Port" which is made by Line6 (the company). If anyone else is interested take a look at this. It looks extermely cool. http://www.line6.com/

Go down to "computer-based" and thats where it is. This thing really sounds nice and for $100 you cant go wrong.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:38 AM   #5
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless
I would suggest just getting a pod and some headphones. Much easier. I do recording through my pc, but it doesn't work out too well. Everything goes through an 8-track mini disc recorder, but I'm really jsut using it as a mixer at the moment. Are you looking to record, or do you just need an amp?

I'd like to record and I am thinking about geting these two products :

http://www.line6.com/propellerhead/overview.html , comes with a very nice drum machine as well.

http://www.line6.com/rifftracker/
Old 07-01-2005, 08:34 AM   #6
Icy
Pro Starter

All the Line6 stuff is great for recording and emulating ampliffiers, you can't go wrong with that to play at home or recording. I recomend you to look at the floor pedalboardboard ones as you can also use them live plugged into your ampliffier to add FX like chorus, reberv, etc etc.

I own a Peavey 5150 head and ENGL 4x12 cabinet to play with my band, but of course i can't play that beast at home so i plug directly my pedalboard (BOSS GT5) headphones output to the S.Blaster line input. The GT5 has also amps emulations that sound ok for heavy sounds, of course it can't match the huge bottom end and the feeling of the speakers blowing air of the head+cab, but it's ok enouhgt.

As drum machine, i use a software one, Fruityloops, ( http://www.fruityloops.com/ ) that is a mainly DJ tool (used even to play live) but has tons and tons of drums emulations and rithm patterns for all styles. It has also bass and guitars emulators for both acoustic and electric that sound a bit fake, but good enought to play alone at home or compose.

For example, i recorded a few days ago a really heavy industrial sample using my guitar, fruityloops drums and electronic samples, and some plugins for fruityloops, it sounds ok with headphones, but really brutal throught a mixer and PA system. It sounds like a full band.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #7
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
All the Line6 stuff is great for recording and emulating ampliffiers, you can't go wrong with that to play at home or recording. I recomend you to look at the floor pedalboardboard ones as you can also use them live plugged into your ampliffier to add FX like chorus, reberv, etc etc.

I own a Peavey 5150 head and ENGL 4x12 cabinet to play with my band, but of course i can't play that beast at home so i plug directly my pedalboard (BOSS GT5) headphones output to the S.Blaster line input. The GT5 has also amps emulations that sound ok for heavy sounds, of course it can't match the huge bottom end and the feeling of the speakers blowing air of the head+cab, but it's ok enouhgt.

As drum machine, i use a software one, Fruityloops, ( http://www.fruityloops.com/ ) that is a mainly DJ tool (used even to play live) but has tons and tons of drums emulations and rithm patterns for all styles. It has also bass and guitars emulators for both acoustic and electric that sound a bit fake, but good enought to play alone at home or compose.

For example, i recorded a few days ago a really heavy industrial sample using my guitar, fruityloops drums and electronic samples, and some plugins for fruityloops, it sounds ok with headphones, but really brutal throught a mixer and PA system. It sounds like a full band.

Thanks Icy, I'll check that out.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:33 PM   #8
timmynausea
College Starter

Fruity loops is pretty fun to play with. I've never done anything with it seriously, though. I don't really have anything to add, as I have no experience recording with a computer, but I guess this is as good a place as any to add an additional guitar question.
I just bought a vintage Fender Bassman head, and I'm looking for a cabinet to run it through. Anyone have any suggestions? I'll probably end up going with Marshall, but I'm a bit reluctant cause everyone has Marshall.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 08:36 AM   #9
Rasmuth
n00b

I have the Audigy 2 soundcard, I also have my pc setup as a full-fledged recording studio...basic, but very funtional...I use a Behringer Vamp2 (similar to a pod) for my guitar and bass recordings....

you can check out my stuff to get an idea of what you can do...my problem is an obvious lack of talent.

My tunes

Were you Lonely is my latest recording...with just a little bit of investment, you can do alot.

Last edited by Rasmuth : 07-02-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:44 AM   #10
Token Asian Guy
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmuth
Were you Lonely is my latest recording...with just a little bit of investmant, you can do alot.

Nice Rasmuth, you kind of remind me of Fountains of Wayne. Did you track the drums yourself? If so, how do you go about miking up everything? I've got a novice-intermediete setup consisting of an Audio Technica 3035 condensor and a Behringer eurorack mixer that I got for 50 bucks. It works for me, but I think I need a new sound card to get the most out of it. Has anyone tried any of the delta pci cards? I know there was a thread not so long ago where everyone posted their music, but I suppose its relevant here, so if you want to check out my skillz with FL Studio and a guitar, go
here
Old 07-02-2005, 01:33 PM   #11
Raven
College Prospect

Token Asian Guy, that song Baby Duck is damn good. Do you have any other music up that we could check out?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:34 PM   #12
Raven
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token Asian Guy
I know there was a thread not so long ago where everyone posted their music

dola.

anyone have a link to this thread?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #13
Joe
Pro Starter

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/%7Efof/f...threadid=18790
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:22 PM   #14
Rasmuth
n00b

Quote:
Did you track the drums yourself? If so, how do you go about miking up everything?

The drums in that tune are my el cheap Zoom Mrt-3b drum machine...cost me $100....just programmed them and recorded the track direct from the machine.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #15
Rasmuth
n00b

Quote:
Token Asian Guy, that song Baby Duck is damn good. Do you have any other music up that we could check out?

agreed...fine song and the mix sounds real nice....the acoustic guitar sounds real clear...good tune.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #16
Token Asian Guy
n00b

I do indeed have more songs, but they are all acoustic and predictable. With my band fully formed and working to start playing shows and cutting an EP, I think I might start a dynasty report, would anybody be interested in seeing something like that?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:21 PM   #17
MikeVic
Head Coach

Did a search for Fruity Loops and this came up so I'll just ask here... I tried out Fruity Loops awhile ago to screw around, but never really got anywhere. I was looking at Nine Inch Nails' site recently, and tried a program they recommended (Ableton Live). I really liked how I could input stuff with my computer keyboard, and the program would record it as-is.

Does anyone know how to do this with Fruity Loops? I just want to play stuff and have it recorded, instead of manually creating music using the piano roll (which is the only thing I could figure out how to do)...

Thanks.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #18
JeeberD
General Manager

Bumped from the archives

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #19
MikeVic
Head Coach

Thanks. I didn't want to create a new thread.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #20
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm not trying to make a joke or be insensitive here or anything, but did we ever determine if maximus really died or not? I seem to remember that people thought the whole maximus death notice was a hoax or something.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #21
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Pretty weird -- lurker just mentioned maximus's "I ate all the brownies" thread today.

Quote:
Chris Farley: O-kay.. remember.. you remember when you were with The Beatles, and you were supposed to be dead, and, uh, there was all these clues, that, like, uh, you played some song backwards, and it'd say, like, "Paul Is Dead", and, uh, everyone thought that you were dead? That was, um, a hoax, right?

Paul McCartney: Yeah. I wasn't really dead.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote