Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2005, 06:16 PM   #1
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Question for FOFC's Legal Contingent

I may have discovered some fraud today at work. Not my company, but another entity passing off documents with new customer names cut and pasted into our documents. Obviously I will be bringing this up to my boss in the morning.

It involves me because they are editing a document with my signature on it and passing it off as a legit insurance document. It pisses me off that they are using my name and signature. Besides letting my company (which is huge and will jump down these people's throats) handle this, what should I do to protect myself? Have they hurt me in any tangible way?

Any advise would be welcomed. thanks.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:37 PM   #2
John Galt
Pro Starter

I just wanted to reply to let you know I read your problem, but I'm sorry that I have no real idea. That is an area of law I know almost nothing about.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:11 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

IANAL.. but I would definitely get a sworn, notarized statement that you had nothing to do with the forged copies.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:54 AM   #4
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

It is always a good idea to document your actions in this type of matter, When you tell your boss or your risk management office or your legal office about the fraud, always send a confirming letter or e-mail or whatever so that there is a paper trail confirming the actions you take. The paper trail also has a way of getting people off their ass to deal with the problem.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:51 PM   #5
Franklinnoble
Banned

I don't think you have to worry about this unless you're an ordained minister, and said documents are certificates of marriage.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:01 PM   #6
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
I just wanted to reply to let you know I read your problem, but I'm sorry that I have no real idea. That is an area of law I know almost nothing about.

Ditto for me. KSyrup may have some industry knowledge. Bumping with the thought he might see it.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:04 PM   #7
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

I'd recommend not shredding anything.

And whenever possible, keep copies of your correspondence and documentation offsite, to the extent you're not in violation of any securities laws or confidentiality agreements by doing so. I usually blind copy my personal email address for cya type correspondence. (Or correspondence I intend to save for blackmail at a later date...but that's another topic. EDIT - blackmail is such a strong word...its more like insurance )

Last edited by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn : 06-30-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:04 PM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I got nothin'. Nothin' specific, anyway. I guess it might help to understand the relationship of the two businesses and what each does. Do you work for an insurance company?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:07 PM   #9
Jon
High School Varsity

I got nothin' either, but, like everyone else said, COVER YOUR ASS. Document everything, keep a log of things that you have done, and everything you've uncovered.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:28 PM   #10
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I, too, know nothing about this type of law, but the "document your actions" posts are all good general advice. And do tell the people above you so that you can show that you did do something to stop the fraud once you became aware of it.

Good luck.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote