Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-28-2005, 06:57 AM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Live 8 - Does Anyone Care?

So these shows are happening this weekend, I guess. Excuse me for not being very excited, but the lineups are effin' awful. Aside from the Pink Floyd reunion - which will probably be available for download by the end of the weekend anyway - I really don't see a single must-see/hear performer. Here are the lineups:

UK:France:Germany:Italy (bizarre lineup):Philly:Canada (with Dan Akroyd/Tom Green ):Japan:South Africa:
  • 4Peace Ensemble
  • Jabu Khanyile and Bayete
  • Lindiwe
  • Lucky Dube
  • Mahotella Queens
  • Malaika
  • Orchestre Baobab
  • Oumou Sengare
  • Zola
Russia:

Bravo
B-2
Moral Code X
Spleen
Valery Sutkin

I also read that the Who and Sex Pistols are supposed to play as well. Big whoop.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:06 AM   #2
Easy Mac

Coldplay
Keane
Killers, The
Razorlight
Green Day
Dave Matthews Band
Kaiser Chiefs
Linkin Park
Tegan & Sara

I'll probably tune in for these bands, but no, I could care less about their message. I'm just wondering... do people actually think we can somehow eradicate poverty? Seeing as how no one has done it in the history of humanity, I find it difficult to believe we'll come up with a magic solution in the next 50 years.

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:09 AM   #3
Ksyrup

They have a message? I thought this was just Bob Geldof craving the attention he got 20 years ago. The only thing I've heard about him since 1985 is that Michael Hutchence stole his wife, but he ended up with Hutchence's kids (ouch!).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-28-2005, 07:20 AM   #4
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I agree with Ksyrup, but I have a bad history with these things. Living in the Philadelphia area, I was offered a chance to go Live Aid but turned it down (and have absolutely no regrets about doing so). Then again, I've never been a big fan of mainstream music and at the time the only thing I was interested in seeing was Run-DMC.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:28 AM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Celebrities/Musicians are not going to incite me to care... Whatever, go away.. move along.

But, did all the 1985 Live Aid performers go to Germany this time? A-ha? Roxy Music? Chris de Burgh? I mean, what the fuck? And Tim McGraw in Italy??
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:39 AM   #6
Ksyrup

I vaguely remember Live Aid, although I do remember watching quite a bit of it. But then again, I was like 13 or 14. I don't know...looking at it objectively, I can see a dozen or so newer acts that people would want to see, and a couple of older acts, but the rest are just crap.

Having DMB, Maroon 5 AND Rob Thomas in one place is complete overkill. They should have just added John Mayer and ended all of humanity (and I like DMB and even Maroon 5 a bit, but I don't feel a burning need to see them, and certainly not together). Italy with twice as many country singers as the US is odd, too.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:21 AM   #7
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I care cause I live in Philly and its gonna be hellish getting around here for a week. People are coming for the Live 8 and staying because 2 days later Elton John is doing a free concert in the same place.

I dont know anyone who lives here that is actually going to see the performances.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:40 AM   #8
Suicane75
Coordinator

I will be naked all weekend to commerate Live "8".
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:45 AM   #9
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Shakira, up close. I want that....oh I want that.

Tegan and Sara have a couple decent songs.
Green Day would be cool.
Gordon Lightfoot is the man!

Why did Faith Hill and Tim McGraw end up in Italy? They really seem to stand out there.....
Old 06-28-2005, 10:47 AM   #10
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Coldplay
Keane
Killers, The
Razorlight
Green Day
Dave Matthews Band
Kaiser Chiefs
Linkin Park
Tegan & Sara

I'll probably tune in for these bands, but no, I could care less about their message. I'm just wondering... do people actually think we can somehow eradicate poverty? Seeing as how no one has done it in the history of humanity, I find it difficult to believe we'll come up with a magic solution in the next 50 years.

And doing nothing is a much better solution. bravo.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:48 AM   #11
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Why did Faith Hill and Tim McGraw end up in Italy? They really seem to stand out there.....

Probably vacationing in the area, decided to swing in.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 06-28-2005, 10:53 AM   #12
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Auf wiedersehen! I'm going to Germany so I can catch A-ha!!

Taaaake oooonn meeeeeeeeeee
Take on me
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:53 AM   #13
Franklinnoble
Banned

No.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:00 AM   #14
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Auf wiedersehen! I'm going to Germany so I can catch A-ha!!

Taaaake oooonn meeeeeeeeeee
Take on me

Touch meeeeee...
How can it be
Believe me
The sun always shines on T.V

Ok, I should have the crap kicked out of me for knowing another A-ha song...
Old 06-28-2005, 11:50 AM   #15
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Coldplay
Keane
Killers, The
Razorlight
Green Day
Dave Matthews Band
Kaiser Chiefs
Linkin Park
Tegan & Sara

I could add a few more, but that is a good list of bands to start. I don't think the "message" is going to be very successfull, but I'll enjoy watching some of the concerts.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:51 AM   #16
Suicane75
Coordinator

Ill try and catch the Canadian set, but not much more strikes my fancy.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:58 AM   #17
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Looking at the list, more than a few

Joss Stone
Pink Floyd
REM
Sting
U2
The Cure
Sheryl Crow
Shakira
A-Ha
Maroon 5
Sara McLachlan
BNL
Simple Plan

Man, it is great to have diverse musical taste and not set up artificial barriers to what you listen to! Should be a good weekend of music.

Last edited by HomerJSimpson : 06-28-2005 at 11:58 AM.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:45 PM   #18
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
Man, it is great to have diverse musical taste and not set up artificial barriers to what you listen to! Should be a good weekend of music.

What do these shows have to do with diverse musical taste? I listen to all sorts of stuff, just none of it is represented here. The bands you listed can mostly be heard on the same radio station, so I hardly find that to be diverse. Or, maybe I'd call it ClearChannel Diversity. It's not the different types of music that do not excite me, it's the particular bands they've chosen.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:48 PM   #19
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
What do these shows have to do with diverse musical taste? I listen to all sorts of stuff, just none of it is represented here. The bands you listed can mostly be heard on the same radio station, so I hardly find that to be diverse. Or, maybe I'd call it ClearChannel Diversity. It's not the different types of music that do not excite me, it's the particular bands they've chosen.

nobody wants to hear your Kings X crap.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:59 PM   #20
Ksyrup

Nah, I'm past that. You couldn't put them in one of these shows. Although they did pplay Woodstock 94... but anyway, I think my main problem with these bands is that a few are in their prime, but plenty are way past and have no business being here (U2, REM, Elton John, Madonna, Sting, Paul McCartney, Annie Lennox, Cure, Stevie Wonder, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue). I understand a couple of them, but geez... they're the Dick Motta's of the festival circuit. I'd include Pink Floyd as well, but since it's a reunion, I'll give them a pass.

A few others are way too new and have obviously only been added to boost appeal (I know that's the underlying reason for all of them, but these moreso than others) - Killers, Kaiser Chiefs, Scissor Sisters.

The actual hard rock bands are junk - Audioslave and Velvet Revolver (redundant), Linkin Park (thought these guys disappeared with Fred Durst), Bon Jovi and Motley Crue. Woo-hoo!

A few of these deserve to be there based on relevancy - Coldplay, Audioslave, Green Day, Joss Stone, Maroon 5, hell, even Rob Thomas. I wouldn't want to see any of them, though.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:01 PM   #21
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Where the f-ck the rappers at?

Rappers have no time for this nonsense.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:06 PM   #22
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
Touch meeeeee...
How can it be
Believe me
The sun always shines on T.V

Ok, I should have the crap kicked out of me for knowing another A-ha song...

There's another A-ha song?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:57 PM   #23
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, how horribly misguided for these musicians to try and raise awareness of worldwide poverty and offer some means of trying to do something about it. Shame on them. Are we really so cynical that we have to trash on this and consider it nothing more than a publicity stunt and a way for musicians to feed their egos and feel important? Do you really believe that this concert will do nothing useful?

As for the lineup, there's a reasonable amount of diversity when you have:

Bjork
Motley Crue
Stevie Wonder
Coldplay
Audioslave
Tim McGraw
Snoop Dogg
Roxy Music
Scissor Sisters
Dave Matthews Band

...just to name a small fraction.

Yeah, most of these acts are well-known and not really "edgy" or "new", and there are a few dinosaurs in there - but so what? It's aiming to be more universal than something like a Lollapallooza or Warped tour, and while I doubt anyone is excited about every act on the bill, I think most will find a great number of acts that will interest them.

If I wasn't on a plane home to Seattle that day, I'd be parked in front of my TV/radio/computer to see as much as I can. There's no way I'd be able to see all the ones I'd be interested in:

Coldplay
The Killers
Pink Floyd (this reunion alone would be worth it for me, since I figured there was no way in hell they'd ever play together again)
REM
Scissor Sisters
Snoop Dogg
Stereophonics
Travis
U2
The Cure
Placebo
Audioslave
Green Day
Roxy Music
Dave Matthews Band
Stevie Wonder
Bjork

...and I'm sure that I would find other acts I don't know very well interesting to watch as well.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:12 PM   #24
Ksyrup

To be honest, I didn't even realize there was an actual cause associated with this. I just figured it was the 20th anniversary of Live Aid. Is it the same world hunger deal? That's cool. I was just referring to the music itself. These shows have me as excited as an NBA basketball game. To give you some perspective, I only own albums from 2 of these artists; 3, if you count the Beatles as being Paul McCartney. So I'm hardly a fan of any of them, diverse though they may be as a group.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:57 PM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.accessatlanta.com/enterta...phia_Acts.html
Alicia Keys, the Black Eyed Peas, Josh Groban, Def Leppard and Toby Keith have been added to the lineup of Saturday's Live 8 concert in Philadelphia.

Celebrity presenters at the show also will include actors Salma Hayek, Natalie Portman, Chris Tucker, Jennifer Connolly, Jimmy Smits and Kami, an HIV-positive Muppet from the South African version of "Sesame Street," organizers said Monday.
... Hip-hop impressario Russell Simmons has signed on as a producer.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:06 PM   #26
Raven
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
an HIV-positive Muppet from the South African version of "Sesame Street,"

WTF?!

Last edited by Raven : 06-28-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:40 PM   #27
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I'm sure that's been thrashed a bit somewhere in the board's past. Do a search and I'm sure there'll be something already expressing your sentiments somewhere.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:28 PM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How did the muppet get HIV?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:31 PM   #29
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
How did the muppet get HIV?

Rent "Meet the Feebles"...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:26 PM   #30
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
There are quite a few on there I'd love to see...Joss Stone, Josh Groban, Andrea Bocelli, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, REM, Paul McCartney, The Killers, The Cure, UB40, Barenaked Ladies (the best live band EVER!)...but since we'll be in NC this weekend for the holiday, I probably won't get to see any of it. Hopefully they will have downloads available in the next week or so...
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:42 PM   #31
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

What an insular bunch you Generation Xers are

I'll be glued to the set this weekend. There's no end of interesting artists in there.

The event has been set up to coincide with the meeting of the G8 countries in Edinburgh. Already they've agreed to cancel the debt of 40 third world nations and the event organisers are trying to influence the politicians to go beyond the debt relief and make a genuine effort to reduce poverty. Of course they'll have limited effect, don't we all, but if you don't buy the ticket you don't win the lottery. They're using their celebrity status in the only way they can - generating a high profile for poverty relief arguments - and the fact we bystanders have such a festival of music to enjoy is fine by me. I'd certainly far rather see this than the riots we'll have from protesters during the G8 meeting.

The original Live Aid concert may have produced relief of minor proportions by poverty standards but it brought home to many people living in considerable affluence that many parts of the world live in extreme misery. From the above comments it does seem that the message needs to get out to an new generation of people.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 06-28-2005 at 07:49 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:21 PM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard
What an insular bunch you Generation Xers are

I dunno 'bout that (in my case) ... I just think the roster of acts fairly well sucks.

Combine that with a general disapproval of wiping out the existing debts that are owed & this is one of the bigger "non-events" I can recall in recent years AFAIC.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:28 PM   #33
Ksyrup

I'm a product of the 80's and I have no desire to see Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, REM, U2, Annie Lennox, A-Ha, Madonna, etc. Or Def Leppard (no offense Kodos).
Old 06-28-2005, 08:49 PM   #34
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Combine that with a general disapproval of wiping out the existing debts that are owed.

Disapproval? As Mac pointed out the G8 is wiping out the debts of 40 countries. How does that show disapproval?
Old 06-28-2005, 08:50 PM   #35
Ksyrup

I think he means his personal disapproval.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:53 PM   #36
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh, if that be the case, then I'll continue ignoring him .
Old 06-28-2005, 09:30 PM   #37
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I dunno 'bout that (in my case) ... I just think the roster of acts fairly well sucks.

Combine that with a general disapproval of wiping out the existing debts that are owed & this is one of the bigger "non-events" I can recall in recent years AFAIC.

Jon, In an attempt to find the human in you that I'm convinced exists, I wonder if you're aware that some of these countries spend more on debt relief than they spend on health care or feeding their population. Its not luxury - believe me (I spent 4 years in Ethiopia) - there is starvation everywhere you go. The sole goal of a day for most of the continent is not happiness or tranquility- its finding enough food to survive for one more day of the same. There is certainly corruption there, but corruption alone isn't enough of an explanation - and the West( Europe, not really America) for one raped the continent for 200 years - stripping it of a development period. One of the ideas behind logical debt relief is to tie it to countries that show improved attempts at transparency and building a more effective system. But just like the US wants the rest of the world to wipe Iraq's debts due to being under Sadaam (since the people didnt have much of a choice), so it seems reasonable, now that many of these places are democracies for the first time, for these countries to have some shot at a second chance.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 PM   #38
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:

Some of the artists don't appeal to me either, mainly because I have little interest in their kind of music and I shall use my pdr to skip through those, but the list is intended to appeal to a wide range of people who wouldn't normally be interested in "worthy" events about poverty.

Quote:

There isn't really much disapproval outside of America and even there some of that is a rational one that debt relief will do nothing. But the event organisors are partially in agreement with you in that they believe that debt relief is insufficient, in some case irrelevant because nothing is being paid of the debt, and that much more is needed to address the awful levels of poverty. Politicians react to voters, many of whom know or want to know little about African poverty, but musicians feel, and after the original Live Aid with some justification, that they can reach these people. Influence the voters and you may influence the politicians.

There is obviously an optimistic, possibly naive, aspect to this but, hey, it beats smashing up hotel rooms

Last edited by Mac Howard : 06-28-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:55 PM   #39
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
... I wonder if you're aware that ...

Saving space, I'll just assure you that I pretty much got those details.

I'm not sure that my concerns are as much focused on "corruption" as a singular detail as they would be on "competence" ... I'm not at all convinced that an entire nation worth of GDP aid and all the debt forgiveness in the world is enough to bring these 3rd & 4th world nations into the 21st century.

Also, a pretty decent article here as well
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4084072.stm

A couple of good points in this, one that sums up my preference for a more German/Japanese approach to the subject -- Japan and Germany have always been reluctant to agree a complete write-off of debts, preferring to have greater leverage over the behaviour of the highly-indebted countries by offering to pay off their debt service instead.

The other point in this article concerns how to handle trade issues, including opening the potentially lucrative agricultural markets to the West. Until those issues are settled, I believe giving away a favorable settlement on the debt issue prior to settling the trade issues is simply tossing away a valuable piece of leverage.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:01 PM   #40
Easy Mac

Quote:
And doing nothing is a much better solution. bravo.

I prefer to promote change in my own way, not by prancing around on stage like a self-important asshole.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:10 PM   #41
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I prefer to promote change in my own way, not by prancing around on stage like a self-important asshole.

Agreed- but in the abscence of doing nothing, what exactly have you done for poverty alleviation ? What's your background on the issue ?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:21 PM   #42
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Interesting mix. There aren't really any that would make me stop what I was doing to watch. There are a handful that I would watch if I was flipping by and saw them, for various reasons:

Elton John - not a fan but he is a good musician
Mariah Carey - maybe just to see how she looks
Paul McCartney - maybe if there is nothing else on, like a MASH rerun
Pink Floyd - just to see
U2 - as long as he just shuts the hell up and only sings, little chance of that
Shakira - only because she is hot, hit the mute button at that point (that France lineup is thin, must have been waving the white flag when they were fighting over the talent )
Green Day - just to see if I can remember who the hell they are, I've heard the name and know I've heard songs just can't remember if I liked any of the songs
Faith Hill - like Shania much better but would watch her
Tim McGraw - he's a good singer, would watch Tug's son
Will Smith - good entertainer
Bon Jovi - saw them live, very tight in concert
Keith Urban - good singer
Linkin Park - for the attitude
Motley Crue - maybe, liked them a lot better when I was in high school, can't find that ame reaction now
Bjork - I have no freaking clue why, she just works for me and I'm not talking musically
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:26 PM   #43
Easy Mac

Quote:
Agreed- but in the abscence of doing nothing, what exactly have you done for poverty alleviation ? What's your background on the issue ?

I've tried to give plenty to those in poverty. I've worked on a few funds, helped habitat for humanity. I'm not saying I'm mother theresa, but i do what i can when i have the time. to think we can eradicate poverty is asinine, and those who get pissed off because they don't feel like others are doing enough are just as bad as the people who do nothing. there will always be the haves and the have nots, and its not like it will stay the same. hell, 2 generations ago, by grandpa crossed the border with no money to his name. my mom didn't finish college until her mid 30's. now all of her kids have graduated college, 1 has a masters, 1 is working on it, and hopefully i'll go to law school in a couple of years. now, not everyone can just cross borders, but these things aren't absolute. some people get lucky and work hard to break the cycle, some people are lucky to be in the right place at the right time, some families just have to wait longer to get the breaks..
Old 06-28-2005, 11:41 PM   #44
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
A couple of good points in this, one that sums up my preference for a more German/Japanese approach to the subject -- Japan and Germany have always been reluctant to agree a complete write-off of debts, preferring to have greater leverage over the behaviour of the highly-indebted countries by offering to pay off their debt service instead.

But agree they have, in preference to doing nothing and allowing the status quo. The debt write off isn't unconditional but is only offered to those countries that will allow "greater leverage over the behaviour". It does not apply to all countries. The lesson that pouring money into a country that wastes it in whatever way is counterproductive has been learned and influence over the behaviour of the recipient country is demanded.

Quote:
The other point in this article concerns how to handle trade issues, including opening the potentially lucrative agricultural markets to the West. Until those issues are settled, I believe giving away a favorable settlement on the debt issue prior to settling the trade issues is simply tossing away a valuable piece of leverage.

One of the demands of the event organisers is that the European Common Agricultural policy should be changed (Tony Blair is beating that particular drum in the EU currently also) along with the agricultural policies of other first world countries to allow access by third world countries to first world markets.

That's their point. Debt relief is insufficient and aid given without insistence of correct use or as a bandaid solution is no use. These haven't worked in the past and won't in the future. The "west" needs to become much more involved in the elimination of poverty and the development of these countries and open trade is very much part of that.

These guys are not as naive or as far away from your opinions as you may think. They are well aware that aid given as charity is a failure and that involvement by the giver nations needs to be far greater. Cancelling debt was never going to be that important because it was never going to be repaid and had already been written off by those owed. More needs to be done and it needs to be done more intelligently.

The whole point of the concert is to say to the G8 countries "Get your act together and do something realistic about world poverty. The technological solutions are there but the political will is missing. We may not be world leaders but we can see when world leaders are screwing up and we're calling you out in a way the world will hear."

Last edited by Mac Howard : 06-28-2005 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:56 PM   #45
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:

They share your preference - they are "prancing around on stage like self-important assholes" because that is their way and the reason that they can communicate with people that politicians will never reach.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:09 AM   #46
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I've tried to give plenty to those in poverty. I've worked on a few funds, helped habitat for humanity. I'm not saying I'm mother theresa, but i do what i can when i have the time. to think we can eradicate poverty is asinine, and those who get pissed off because they don't feel like others are doing enough are just as bad as the people who do nothing. there will always be the haves and the have nots, and its not like it will stay the same. hell, 2 generations ago, by grandpa crossed the border with no money to his name. my mom didn't finish college until her mid 30's. now all of her kids have graduated college, 1 has a masters, 1 is working on it, and hopefully i'll go to law school in a couple of years. now, not everyone can just cross borders, but these things aren't absolute. some people get lucky and work hard to break the cycle, some people are lucky to be in the right place at the right time, some families just have to wait longer to get the breaks..

Been there- I have a family that two generations ago was in a village in India and now- well, lets say they're doing fine. Nonetheless, I fail to see what this has to do with the thread in question. Why the urge to criticise these guys ? if it helps raise some money, and it helps the artist profile or rep- its a win-win for all involved.

Secondly, this very American concept of the cycle and everyone can do it - its wonderfully idealistic, and I tend to agree- in America. In Africa, where these people wake up every goddamn day hoping to have the food to keep them going one more- its not that simple. For the cycle to work, they have to have the opportunity for an education, a life, free time, opportunity - what you don't get is that they don't. Or else, give them an opportunity (through agriculture- US protectionism of big farmers is shameful- though nothing compared to the hypocritical bastards at the EU ) - with agriculture, you and I pay the price of highly inflated food prices. You need to understand that the "everyone can go somewhere" premise relies upon everyone having the ability or time to better themselves- what I'm trying to explain is that many don't. Take your grandad- today, they probably wouldn't let him in, because some jackass would be braying about immigration and how "They're taking er jobs!".
Old 06-29-2005, 12:34 AM   #47
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Ito think we can eradicate poverty is asinine

Not as asinine as you make out but at the moment we should aim at relief rather than eradication.

Quote:
hell, 2 generations ago, by grandpa crossed the border with no money to his name. my mom didn't finish college until her mid 30's. now all of her kids have graduated college, 1 has a masters, 1 is working on it, and hopefully i'll go to law school in a couple of years.

And therein lies a lesson. Your grandpa moved to a country of opportunity. That is what these third world countries need - opportunity to sell their goods in first world markets free of trade barriers.

Opportunity is also why debt relief was given. Debt robs you of the opportunity to develop by syphoning off the profits that you make instead of them being plowed back to achieve growth. The third world countries that have tried to develop have seen their efforts disappear in debt repayment and others have just given up what they see as fruitless effort. That's why debt relief was considered important by some.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:40 AM   #48
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard
opportunity to sell their goods in first world markets free of trade barriers.

Indeed. Free trade (TRUE free trade) can benefit the 3rd world as well as the 1st world.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:09 AM   #49
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Why all the hatorade for Paul McCartney? The man may be 60+, but he can still rock. And he was a fucking Beatle.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:27 AM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSpeechCoach
Why all the hatorade for Paul McCartney? ... And he was a fucking Beatle.

I think you just answered your own question