Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Sega Dreamcast Feature I'd Like to See...

Remember the fact that the memory cards had that little LCD screen on it? I remember how great it was in the past to play a game like NBA 2K1 and have the current stats for your team in real time show up on the little screen.

How come the XBOX and PS2 don't have this feature? You don't need it on the memory card, but a little LCD would be a nifty little feature on the controller.

Was it copyrighted/patented by Sega?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:52 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I believe that the next Nintendo controllers are supposed to have LCD monitors on them.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
Franklinnoble
Banned

Ping: SkyDog
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
I believe that the next Nintendo controllers are supposed to have LCD monitors on them.

Nintendo was already doing some of that this generation as there were games that you could hook up gameboys to and use them as controllers with information on their screens.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 01:25 AM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew

Nobody really knows what the hell is up with the next Nintendo controllers, although this wouldn't surprise me. It would make the controllers more expensive than $25 or so, though, I'm thinking.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 04:33 AM   #6
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Remember the fact that the memory cards had that little LCD screen on it? I remember how great it was in the past to play a game like NBA 2K1 and have the current stats for your team in real time show up on the little screen.

How come the XBOX and PS2 don't have this feature? You don't need it on the memory card, but a little LCD would be a nifty little feature on the controller.

I still have my system, and games!

Of course, my shining moment was when I won PlanetDreamcast's contest thing. The 'MadCatz' package of the steering wheel and pedals, 2 Mad Catz controllers, and 1 Mad Catz light gun.

If I recall correctly, those memory cards for the Dreamcast always drained the batteries rather quickly...but, it didn't seem to matter much since my save games were still valid. How big were those things? 128kb in capacity?
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:02 AM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Nobody really knows what the hell is up with the next Nintendo controllers, although this wouldn't surprise me. It would make the controllers more expensive than $25 or so, though, I'm thinking.

Yeah, i would agree that they would have to be fairly expensive. But for 40 bucks or so, they could put a screen the size of the new gameboy micro on each controller, and still sell them profitably, i would assume.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:04 AM   #8
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

I'm kind of expecting the PSP to connect as a PS-3 controller at some point to allow this sort of thing to happen ... ditto with Nintendo DS/SP and their next console.

PS> Also expecting Microsoft to look at handheld consoles in the next 2-3 years, possibly a souped up PocketPC?
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:23 AM   #9
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yeah...but...who plays Nintendo? I thought they were trying to hit the young adolescent demographic with their game system.

Also, does anyone find it disconcerting considering EA Sports lack of support on the PSP? At launch they had a few games, but NCAA (among others) is not going to be released for it. I'd be pretty miffed if I was a PSP purchaser.
how do you know?

Old 06-25-2005, 10:24 AM   #10
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Yeah...but...who plays Nintendo? I thought they were trying to hit the young adolescent demographic with their game system.
Errr me for one

My eldest son loves his gamecube and both him and his older sister are GBA-SP addicts.

Quote:
Also, does anyone find it disconcerting considering EA Sports lack of support on the PSP? At launch they had a few games, but NCAA (among others) is not going to be released for it. I'd be pretty miffed if I was a PSP purchaser.
Personally not fussed at all .... (although if ISS stopped being released it'd upset me).
Old 06-26-2005, 03:25 AM   #11
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:

Nah. Their new system is going to get a lot of older people intrested I think. At the very least it will at least make me buy one.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 03:32 AM   #12
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

I am a little surprised by that, yeah. I'd have figured the demographics of PSP were such that sports games were more likely to be big sellers on PSP than on the DS or SP.

Or maybe EA just thinks Sony's gonna get torpedoed this holiday season? I dunno.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 03:47 AM   #13
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I am a little surprised by that, yeah. I'd have figured the demographics of PSP were such that sports games were more likely to be big sellers on PSP than on the DS or SP.
My guess is simply that EA's 3D sports games are high cost developments and initially the PSP user base isn't going to be large enough to support the entire range of these.

So initially EA will restrict the number available, which inflates the sales figures for these because of the restricted range causing a higher uptake on the ones which are released.

Once the PSP has a larger userbase established upon it (probably within a year to 18 months) I'd expect EA to have all their games available upon it.

(pure presumption on my part - please bear this in mind)
Old 06-26-2005, 06:46 AM   #14
CraigSca
Pro Starter

From a personal standpoint, having NCAA portable may have put me over the top towards purchasing a PSP. Without it, I'd only have MVP and I can't justify a purchase like that for a game I'm just starting to get burned out on.
how do you know?