Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2005, 01:20 PM   #1
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

asshole driving maneuvers

I could write a book on this subject, but here's one that really bugs me:

Arterial intersection, 2 lanes each direction. Cars parked in the curb lane ahead and behind, but enough of a gap at the intersection to allow cars in both the center lane and the curb lane. The center lane either isn't allowed to turn left, or has a dedicated turn signal. The car in the center lane either isn't allowed to turn left, or doesn't have their turn signal on, indicating they're not turning. At the light, the car in the curb lane doesn't make a free right but attempts to jack-rabbit ahead of the car in the center lane before hitting the parked cars ahead.

Let's go over the ways in which this is a completely asshole move:

1. It's totally reckless, often requiring the curb lane driver to come dangerously close to hitting the parked cars ahead or clipping the center lane driver they're trying to pass.

2. A completely selfish maneuver, it prevents cars behind from making free right-hand turns at the intersection and alleviating unnecessary backup.

3. The necessity of the curb lane driver to get a hot start at the green light puts any cars or pedestrians that are slow in clearing the intersection at danger.

Driving is one of the many means for selfish people to express their complete disregard for other people, and this is a prime example.

dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:22 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

how the heck do assholes drive?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
Desnudo
Coordinator

clenchedly
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

On my way to work I encounter a 4 way stop, with a total of like 8 lanes... don't even get me started.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:24 PM   #5
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

In D.C. its legal to turn any direction from any lane.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #6
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
In D.C. its legal to turn any direction from any lane.

Just the Assholes, or everyone?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #7
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Driving is one of the many means for selfish people to express their complete disregard for other people

A freaking MEN
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #8
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

A corollary to this is the asshole in the center lane who, in heavy traffic both ways, waits until the light (which of course is not a left-turn arrow) turns green before putting their left turn signal on, thus sticking it to anyone who is behind them who might have moved over if they had a chance.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:43 PM   #9
condors
College Starter

the road i live off of has a terrible intersection on the way home from work.

There is a turning lane, the center lane, and the bike lane(no cars parked is plenty big enough to drive down)

low and behold the traffic always is backed up at the light. People come flying up the turning lane and the bike lane problem is there is only enough room for 1 car at a time on the other side of the intersection. The backup that transpires blocks traffic the other way when they have a green light and i have been with a couple cars of serveral accidents there already. It funny when the light turns green its a drag race to get to the spot on the other side. I will never let any of the either side in they can hit me first they can wait in line like everyone else.

I really need to get a job where i can work from my pc at home. (usually takes 70-80 minutes to get the 12 miles from work to home although it only takes about 20-25 minutes on a saturday morning)
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:44 PM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
A corollary to this is the asshole in the center lane who, in heavy traffic both ways, waits until the light (which of course is not a left-turn arrow) turns green before putting their left turn signal on, thus sticking it to anyone who is behind them who might have moved over if they had a chance.

Oh, I fucking HATE that... though in Atlanta, most often you'll just a guy who wants to turn left, but doesn't have their signal on, until you lean on the horn (apparently most people in Atlanta don't believe in turn signals... sigh).
Old 06-20-2005, 01:51 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, the two that really get me are two freeway examples.

The first is the "Line Jumpers". It's one thing if you're near the airport and some out of towner doesn't know a lane is ending. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to the guys who know there's a lane about to end but goes up to the end, right where the barrels or land endings are and try to force their way to the line. It's especially bad at construction sites or leaving sporting events. The most annoying aspect of this is that they are the greatest contributors to the slowdown. What really gets me about it is that it's so anti-utilitarian it's crazy: "My 1 minute of time is worth more than 1.5 minutes of 50 other people".

The second is the "Turn Signal Speed Boost". There's that guy who you've going slightly faster than for the last two miles and have nudged ahead of him. Then, the minute you turn your turn signal on to get ahead of him: boom, 5-10mph faster for the next minute. At that point, you either race him to cut him off or fall back and the process repeats itself. Kansas City seems particularly bad at this- your turn signal seems to proclaim to all around you that everyone around you should speed up 10mph.

And I know that same of the guys on the board are the people who do these, too, asshats

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-20-2005 at 01:53 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #12
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I hate the late turn signal people. You are behind them, they slow down for no apparant reason, almost come to a stop to make a right turn and THEN put on the right blinker.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:22 PM   #13
Blackadar
Retired

I love the guys (it's always guys) who see that a lane ends up ahead (due to construction) and then proceed to drive like a bat out of hell and get in at the very last minute. That totally pisses me off. If I have a chance, I'm not letting you in. I've actually run people into the construction cones...
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:27 PM   #14
mhass
High School Varsity

There is the phenomenon called the "Philadelphia Left" whereby two cars facing each other are stopped at a red light, one going straight, the other turning left in a lane without a signal arrow. Once the light turns green, the one turning slams on the gas and turns in front of the straight-going car who is accelerating at a normal rate but has to ease off the gas so as not to hit the a-hole turning in front of him.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:30 PM   #15
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
I love the guys (it's always guys) who see that a lane ends up ahead (due to construction) and then proceed to drive like a bat out of hell and get in at the very last minute. That totally pisses me off. If I have a chance, I'm not letting you in. I've actually run people into the construction cones...

I do this too (block people that piss me off) but I always feel like it's a little bit asshole of me. Sort of asshole on asshole violence.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:31 PM   #16
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass
There is the phenomenon called the "Philadelphia Left" whereby two cars facing each other are stopped at a red light, one going straight, the other turning left in a lane without a signal arrow. Once the light turns green, the one turning slams on the gas and turns in front of the straight-going car who is accelerating at a normal rate but has to ease off the gas so as not to hit the a-hole turning in front of him.

Do what I do...T-Bone the fucker.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:32 PM   #17
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

A big peeve I've been having lately deals with intersections that during rush hour backs up through a side-road entrance. On my drive home, there are two major intersections that get so much traffic the cars back up past the entrance to a side-road. There are two lanes of traffic backed up, yet there are always some idiots coming from the other direction that want to make a left turn across all of the backed up traffic and onto the side street. The cars usually leave a gap to let the left turn happen, but very often only one lane is backed up that far and the other land still have moving traffic approaching the stoplights. Cars have to pretty much close their eyes and hit the gas hoping to miss everyone. Both of these intersections now make left turns illegal during rush hour, but people ignore the signs and make the turns anyway.

I was very happy last week to watch someone gun their truck through the intersection and find a cop waiting on the other side.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:40 PM   #18
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Ah, yes... ...lived in Philly for six years.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:40 PM   #19
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I could sit here all week and just go on and on and on.....

But I have no time, I am leaving to go enjoy it for the week soon.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:40 PM   #20
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
OK, I'll confess. I almost always drive up to the front and force my way in, and I *never* let others in who try to pull the same maneuver when I'm already in the lane. When my wife inevitable gives me a hard time about this, I tell her, "Look, it ain't my fault if some weak-willed sucker lets me in." Of course, when I'm on the other end of it, I always tell her, "Hey, I ain't no weak-willed sucker! Let somebody else let 'em in."

The funny thing is that I was a very defensive, non-confrontational driver...until I moved to the A-T-L and the roads brought out my carnal nature.

Quote:
Some people jump out of airplanes
Others like to deep-sea dive
But I'm the biggest daredevil you'll ever see
'Cause I drive on 285.

I'm an Atlanta driver
Make one mistake and you're through
I'm an Atlanta driver
And I don't give a damn about you.

We got drivers you wouldn't believe here
This guy pulled up next to me at a stop
He was wearin' no clothes
He was smokin' a joint
And the thing is: that was a cop

He's an Atlanta driver
It's far more bizarre than a zoo
He's an Atlanta driver
So he don't give a damn about you.

If you drive the roads of Atlanta
Maybe I'll see you someday
But if you want to have any chance to survive
You better stay the hell out of my way

'Cause I'm an Atlanta driver
Drivin' by the laws of Peru
I'm an Atlanta driver
And I don't give a damn about you.

...and you either, dirtbag.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:47 PM   #21
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
OK, I'll confess. I almost always drive up to the front and force my way in, and I *never* let others in who try to pull the same maneuver when I'm already in the lane. When my wife inevitable gives me a hard time about this, I tell her, "Look, it ain't my fault if some weak-willed sucker lets me in." Of course, when I'm on the other end of it, I always tell her, "Hey, I ain't no weak-willed sucker! Let somebody else let 'em in."

The funny thing is that I was a very defensive, non-confrontational driver...until I moved to the A-T-L and the roads brought out my carnal nature.

[/i]

BE PREPARED TO MEET THE ORANGE BARRELS OF DOOM!!!

Plus, Atlanta ain't nothin'. Try LA, Washington DC or Boston.

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-20-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:47 PM   #22
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hehe... that's brilliant. 285... grrrr
Old 06-20-2005, 02:48 PM   #23
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog

[/i]

SI

Old 06-20-2005, 02:50 PM   #24
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I have no problem with those that run up and try to merge into one lane traffic, etc., but don't stop and clog everything up until someone let's you in...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:52 PM   #25
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice

SI
Hey, at least I'm willing to come and take my lumps.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:52 PM   #26
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This maneuver isn't limited to Philly - I see it all the time in Chicago. I can't tell you how happy I am I left my car in Seattle and rely on public transportation out here - between the crazy driving, the traffic jams and the hyper-expensive parking, I know I'd have some serious road-rage.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:54 PM   #27
mhass
High School Varsity

Quote:
This maneuver isn't limited to Philly - I see it all the time in Chicago. I can't tell you how happy I am I left my car in Seattle and rely on public transportation out here - between the crazy driving, the traffic jams and the hyper-expensive parking, I know I'd have some serious road-rage.

It's performed everywhere. That's just the name.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:55 PM   #28
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
BE PREPARED TO MEET THE ORANGE BARRELS OF DOOM!!!

Plus, Atlanta ain't nothin'. Try LA, Washington DC or Boston.

Agreed, Atlanta has never been anything that stands out to me. Chicago, Houston, D.C., L.A., are easily worse then Atlanta IMO. Thankfully I have never been to Boston, but from what i hear that is a good thing.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:57 PM   #29
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Plus, Atlanta ain't nothin'.
When you grew up in unincorporated Muscogee County, Georgia, outside the city limits of Columbus, it is quite something, I assure you. Highway driving to me was going out to Talbotton for a ball game, not getting on 285.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:58 PM   #30
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

This happens in South Jersey, too. It's not just a sometimes thing either. The vast majority of people do that here. I don't do it and I sometimes see angry expressions cast my way from the car behind me when I don't (as if they could have gone too.) It's to the point where I usually see the car going straight not accelerate on the light right away because they pretty much expect it to happen.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:58 PM   #31
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

that ain't just a "Philly Left" that's a Boston thing too. Ooooh, I love to run assholes into orange cones, or leave them shaking their heads in frustration. fuckers
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:11 PM   #32
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Heck, I love driving in Chicago, at least people know what they are doing...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #33
JW
College Prospect

People who think they have to pass me before turning off.

The other is the guy behind me on the Interstate or four-lane who HAS TO BEAT ME to the exit. I'm going along at a nice speed and I see this car coming up in the lefthand lane. The exit is approaching, and I just know the car is going to cut in front of me at the exit, saving the driver maybe 2 or 3 seconds, when they can safely fall in behind me. A few years ago I saw a driver nearly wreck trying that stunt at an Interstate exit. He was going so fast and turning so sharply he fishtailed on the exit ramp and nearly went into the grass. Too bad he didn't.

A couple of years ago I had this problem on the way to work. I came to a redlight at the end of the feeder street and turned left onto a fourlane. I noted a lady in a car behind me. She apparently lived near me and left for work at the same time. She pulled into the lefthand lane on the fourlane and proceeded to speed past me, cut in front, brake, and turn right onto a side street about a quarter mile down the road. This happened a couple of times, so the next time she was behind me at the redlight, I pulled onto the fourlane and floored it. Needless to say, she still tried to pass me before turning off, but gave up, braked hard, pulled in behind me, and made her turn, shaking her hand at me as she turned as if I had done something wrong. But for the rest of that year, she did not try that crap again.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:15 PM   #34
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Agreed, Atlanta has never been anything that stands out to me. Chicago, Houston, D.C., L.A., are easily worse then Atlanta IMO. Thankfully I have never been to Boston, but from what i hear that is a good thing.

I'm originally from New Jersey. It's quite something when you wish people drove more like the people in Jersey .
Old 06-20-2005, 03:44 PM   #35
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

How about the cruise control cruisers who insist on sitting in the left lane going 2 MPH faster than the car they are passing and taking 5 minutes to do so instead of using the passing lane properly...SPEED UP, PASS AND THEN GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!!!! Drives me up the wall that the left lane has to slow down to a crawl while some jackass refuses to accelerate for 5 seconds!!!!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:57 PM   #36
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Driving is one of the many means for selfish people to express their complete disregard for other people, and this is a prime example.

Well put.

While I understand SD's "kill or be killed" philosophy, I can't stand people who pull that shit. Now, I don't mind if you are stuck in the other lane and need to get over - I'll let you in. But assholes who are sitting in line like the rest of us, but get pissed because traffic isn't moving as quickly as they like so they pull out to jump up a whopping total of 5 cars, piss the ever-living shit out of me. I've done just like Blackie - I've run people off the road who tried to play chicken with me, thinking they'd win. They didn't. Best one ever was when I had my dad's Fiero and a guy in a pick-up truck tried to pull in front of me and I stood my ground. I earned the everlasting respect of my roommate who was in the car with me at the time for not giving in on that one.

I try not to be confrontational about it, though - just in the past 6 months, I've seen a couple of these turn into full-blown, stop in the middle of the street arguments. It amazes me how crazy people can get. I had it happen once to me in South Florida, where a guy pulled in front of me, causing me to slam on my brakes so I tailed him a bit on purpose, and he stopped the car to get out and confront me. I saw it coming though, left enough room to make a getaway, waited for him to completely get out of the car, and pulled around him and sped off. Thankfully, he didn't have a gun.

There was just an article about a road rage incident in South Florida where two guys got into a fist fight, and one of them got knocked into oncoming traffic, where he was killed in a hit-and-run. Talk about a tragedy of what not to do on the road. The driver who killed the guy probably wouldn't have even been charged, given the description of what happened.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:16 PM   #37
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

CW's Rules of Merging:

1) One vehicle is allowed to merge in front of me for traffic getting ON the insterstate.

2) No vehicle who plays the asshat and tries to speed by 50 cars on a dying lane will ever be allowed in by me.

55 in Chicagoland is a classic example of Merging Insanity. Oftentimes, when the 3 lane drops to 2, drivers in the center lane will ease over into the left, and take half of both lanes, thus preventing the Asshats.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:28 PM   #38
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Man, after reading this I am begining to love my daily commute. Walk 5-7 minutes to Union Station, which is a stunning building. (Not to mention the Capitol is off to the left.) Get on the Metro. Walk 5-7 minutes to work.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:28 PM   #39
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
55 in Chicagoland is a classic example of Merging Insanity. Oftentimes, when the 3 lane drops to 2, drivers in the center lane will ease over into the left, and take half of both lanes, thus preventing the Asshats.

This is my classic maneuver when leaving Kaufman Stadium where they have two lanes merge into one to enter the freeway but the only people in the right lane are asshats(TM). If you ever see a green Grand Am driving in the middle of both lanes while entering 435 South, that's me

SI

Old 06-20-2005, 04:29 PM   #40
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
CW's Rules of Merging:

1) One vehicle is allowed to merge in front of me for traffic getting ON the insterstate.

2) No vehicle who plays the asshat and tries to speed by 50 cars on a dying lane will ever be allowed in by me.

1. Agreed. If people actually understood that you should ALTERNATE when merging, things would go so much smoother. Slow down enough so one car can get on, go by, the next car falls in line and so forth. It's not rocket science.

2. Agreed. INTO THE ORANGE BARRELS WITH YOU!!!

3. If you don't let me on (merging) and really piss me off, expect me to come in behind you, zoom around you, get in front of you and then slow down just to piss you off. I may not do it but once every ten times, but I reserve the right to do so.

Of course, I own a bright yellow Subaru WRX that everyone can see coming. It's fast, so they get the hell out of the way.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:32 PM   #41
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's performed everywhere. That's just the name.

Not quite everywhere - while the Pacific NW has their own peculiar frustrations for drivers, this kind of stunt is almost never seen.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:39 PM   #42
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka
How about the cruise control cruisers who insist on sitting in the left lane going 2 MPH faster than the car they are passing and taking 5 minutes to do so instead of using the passing lane properly...SPEED UP, PASS AND THEN GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!!!! Drives me up the wall that the left lane has to slow down to a crawl while some jackass refuses to accelerate for 5 seconds!!!!!

Highly annoying. I'm pretty sure with most (if not all) cruise control devices you can accelerate to pass and then ease off the accelerator and resume at your cruise controlled speed. There's no need to dawdle when passing.

The whole concept of "keep right except to pass" is clearly not common knowledge in the Pacific NW. We have a lot of completely oblivious morons that putter along at or below the speed limit in the extreme left lane for no fucking reason whatsoever.

In fact, while the problem with the speed limit in most parts of the country is drivers going much faster than the posted limit, in the Pacific NW it's the opposite - way too many ninnies driving well below the speed limit.

Here's another one for you - what is it with the automated testosterone response in guys that when a car moves over to pass you, you all of a sudden speed up?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:05 PM   #43
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Here's another one for you - what is it with the automated testosterone response in guys that when a car moves over to pass you, you all of a sudden speed up?
This is only triggered in me when I sense that the person has no legitimate reason to pass me, other than impatience or just plain being an asshole. Again, it goes to respect and courtesy - you're not any more special than the rest of us, so you can wait in line like we are. If someone's passing because they're doing 80 and I'm doing 75, I don't care. But if I'm in the left lane and a car is coming up on my right that I'm going to pass in 30 seconds, I'm not getting over just to let Mr. Impatient behind me pass him, thereby forcing me to put on my brakes because of the slow car in the right lane and/or pushing me to the end of a 15 car train in the left lane when I can get back over. You can wait until I pass him, then I'll get over and let you by. And the same goes for the jackass doing 100 who comes up on someone going over the speed limit who's passing cars on the right, but who decides he needs to flash his beams as if we didn't see him zoom up behind us. We saw you fuckface, but we don't have to get out of your way at our inconvenience.

If you get impatient and try to sneak by in the right lane, I'll speed up to block you, then I'll slow down to prevent you from getting back in line, forcing you to wait until the entire line of cars passes on the left before you get back over. Man, I love it when that happens. But again, I don't give a shit if there's no one around, I've gotten in the right lane, and you want to pass me. I only become an asshole when provoked.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-20-2005 at 05:06 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:20 PM   #44
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I hear you Ksyrup - there are certainly times when the guy trying to pass is pulling an asshole maneuver as you point out. Those aren't the instances I'm talking about though. There are many times I've encountered someone dawdling along at their own pace, but as soon as I try to pull around them because I'd prefer not to drive so slow, they speed up as if their manhood has been challenged.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:28 PM   #45
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Highly annoying. I'm pretty sure with most (if not all) cruise control devices you can accelerate to pass and then ease off the accelerator and resume at your cruise controlled speed. There's no need to dawdle when passing.

The whole concept of "keep right except to pass" is clearly not common knowledge in the Pacific NW. We have a lot of completely oblivious morons that putter along at or below the speed limit in the extreme left lane for no fucking reason whatsoever.

Not just in the NW. Texas, the whole state, has a problem with this too. South Texas is the worst. You can be on a 8 lane road (4 each direction) at 2 AM and maybe 5 cars scattered 2 miles in front of you and 2 miles behind you. Half of those cars will be in the left lane, and then you see a guy getting on who goes straight o the left lane even though there is barely anyone on the damn freeway.

I will admit that I am guilty of holding up the left lane every once in a while, although I do not do it in a city unless I have too and know I will get by people fast. But out on the open road, sometimes you just have to pass someone because they are slower. Well, a lot of company owned trucks are governed. Our trucks can only go 65 if our fuel mileage is below 6.5 mpg, which is usually the case. If I could hammer down and blow by someone I would love to, but I just can't.

Quote:

I hate this. I hate this more then almost anything I think. It is especially bad driving a truck because for some reason people hate to let a truck pass them up and then be in front of them. Once again, I can not hammer the fucker and just blow by them, so this is a big ass problem for me.

And several times I have prayed to God for a law to be passed which allows me to run people off the road. Oh the damage I could do, yes even to your jacked up pickup that you think makes you king of the road, but only makes you a damn sheep because they are the in thing right now and you never even go off road.

Pheww...I rambled. Just think if I was someone who got road rage?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:50 PM   #46
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I'd say its the Asshats doing the SkyDog thing "I'm staying in the lane that is about to go away until the very last second" that pisses me off the most. I happen to drive a really big piece of crap car or truck(I have both), so when I come up on these situations, I drive in the lane that is closing down. But I do so at the speed of the vehicles in the lane that continues on. I block every one of you hurried ass sons of bitches that want to rush up and get ahead and end up slowing everyone else down. By my doing this, the traffic actually moves at a reasonable speed because you avoid the merge right before the cones situation.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:01 PM   #47
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I don't see it being a big deal if your in the left lane on a highway in city limits. Here in OKC there are quite a few left lanes that exit onto other highways and such so that isnt a problem if your driving slow in the left lane. Maybe if your driving slow in the left lane 10 miles before the exit.

I only see it being a problem when you do it outside of city limits.

My number 1 pet peeve is when your stuck in traffic and your lane is barely moving but the lane next to you ends in like 400 feet, and you have these jerks driving all the way to the lane end and expect people to let them merge. That annoys me to no end. I equate that to cutting someone in line, wether it be at the amusement park, or in a store or whatever. On the rare occasions, I refuse to let them merge, even if the guy behind me lets them over...

My number 2 pet peeve is tailgaters. Driving 3 feet from my rear bumper is not going to make me speed up. Usually when someone gets up my ass like that, I just take my foot of the gas and coast. They either get the hint, or they get in another lane. I wouldnt hit my brakes, because most likely some moron would hit me and I can't afford another vehicle.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:16 PM   #48
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
The second is the "Turn Signal Speed Boost". There's that guy who you've going slightly faster than for the last two miles and have nudged ahead of him. Then, the minute you turn your turn signal on to get ahead of him: boom, 5-10mph faster for the next minute. At that point, you either race him to cut him off or fall back and the process repeats itself. Kansas City seems particularly bad at this- your turn signal seems to proclaim to all around you that everyone around you should speed up 10mph.

And I know that same of the guys on the board are the people who do these, too, asshats

SI

i so do this
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:18 PM   #49
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Do what I do...T-Bone the fucker.

No shit, 100% completely THEIR fault
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:19 PM   #50
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Only way I'm getting passed is if the other car has a higher max speed than me.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote