Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2005, 09:50 AM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

horse racing simulation game

anyone know of a good one. I love hooves of thunder but I want to find something more in depth that has a breeding option, etc...

any suggestions?

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

starter's orders
Old 06-19-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
Capital
High School Varsity

Actually...starter's orders pro
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 01:21 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is it worth $35.00?
Old 06-19-2005, 01:30 PM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

ping: QuikSand
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 01:32 PM   #6
Critch
lolzcat

Starters Orders Pro is good is you don't mind that it's a UK simulation of UK racing, and if you don't mind that the game will probably kick your ass repeatedly.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 01:42 PM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
ping: QuikSand

None are any good.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 03:31 PM   #8
Capital
High School Varsity

That price tag is why I didn't buy it. If it was USA instead of UK, then maybe.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:11 AM   #9
Thomkal
Head Coach

Again I recommend the horse racing sim at www.simulatedsports.com I've been playing for 5 years, so it has to be good if I stuck around that long. It is technically free to play, but there are things you can pay for (breeding credits, buying a race, etc) to increase your chances of doing well.

It is a simulation, not an arcade game, so you don't get to ride horses yourself. But several of us have been "recreated" as jockeys at various tracks, so at least we can pretend we are riding them ourselves. It is a very overwhelming simulation at first, lots of rules and forms to get used to, but well worth the effort.

I will gladly help any newbie who wants to join.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:31 AM   #10
hhiipp
College Prospect

I tried that simulatedsports, way too intense for me.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:54 AM   #11
condors
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
None are any good.

what do you not like about starters orders pro? I am not a horse racing expert but it seems pretty good to me.
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:57 AM   #12
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
None are any good.

seconded.

Hooves is the only one ever that was decent.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:57 AM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by condors
what do you not like about starters orders pro? I am not a horse racing expert but it seems pretty good to me.

I'll confess it never clicked for me. I gave it a couple tries, never really gained any momentum to get much of a feel for the game, and dropped it. So -- that might be short shrift, perhaps I owe it another shot.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:59 AM   #14
QuikSand
lolzcat

If you could get a copy of Hooves of Thunder cheap these days, it woudl be worth a few bucks. It's not a bad game, overall, and it does severl things rather well. But it's a game that just screams for a good "patch." Quarterpole Plus is clearly based on the same source code, and is an improvement on Hooves in many ways, but there are several stubbon areas where that game, too, is rather lacking. WHen I play either one, I find myself just being frustrated more than anything else.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:06 AM   #15
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiipp
I tried that simulatedsports, way too intense for me.

Yes, but that's why its so good. In the last year or so tools have been developed both within the sim itself and by outside sources that make the game a lot easier to get into.

And hey its free! Doesn't hurt to check it out.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:08 AM   #16
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

If anyone wanted a cheap copy of Hooves, I'd be willing to send it to you for shipping only. Fun game, just not my bag.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:51 AM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

maybe I'll do a Starters Orders Pro dynasty to see if I can get folks interested
Old 06-20-2005, 10:57 AM   #18
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
maybe I'll do a Starters Orders Pro dynasty to see if I can get folks interested

fine idea
Old 06-20-2005, 10:59 AM   #19
condors
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie

i would be very interested !
Old 06-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #20
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm gonna check out the simulated sports one, but I may break down and get starters orders pro, I am going to try the demo when I get some time.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:34 PM   #21
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Started it. Check the Dynasty Forum
Old 06-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #22
QuikSand
lolzcat

Some translation to American terminology will probably be advisable.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:48 PM   #23
Franklinnoble
Banned

One of these days, I'm gonna crack open that VB.net book I got and learn how to program a decent horse racing sim...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:49 PM   #24
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
If you could get a copy of Hooves of Thunder cheap these days, it woudl be worth a few bucks. It's not a bad game, overall, and it does severl things rather well. But it's a game that just screams for a good "patch." Quarterpole Plus is clearly based on the same source code, and is an improvement on Hooves in many ways, but there are several stubbon areas where that game, too, is rather lacking. WHen I play either one, I find myself just being frustrated more than anything else.

Agree on all counts. I actually liked HoT better than QPP because one thing: it provided more of a challenge to pick out good claimers. In QPP, one had to be suspicious of any claimer because the AI would drop good horses into low claimers for no valid reason.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #25
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The only thing I don't like about Hooves is that when you have a good 3 year old to many races get cancled.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:44 AM   #26
Thomkal
Head Coach

One last bump to see if anyone checked out the simulatedsports.com game.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:09 AM   #27
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
One last bump to see if anyone checked out the simulatedsports.com game.

I had like 4 stables at one time on there... got really into it... did all the credit-purchased breeding and race sponsorship and such. It still wasn't that great. I had a few dozen mediocre horses for my trouble, and it's just too much of a pain in the ass to get them into races regularly. Racing once a week is impractical - the game has gotten too overpopulated.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:27 PM   #28
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
I had like 4 stables at one time on there... got really into it... did all the credit-purchased breeding and race sponsorship and such. It still wasn't that great. I had a few dozen mediocre horses for my trouble, and it's just too much of a pain in the ass to get them into races regularly. Racing once a week is impractical - the game has gotten too overpopulated.

I understand where you are coming from with this. The game probably is overpopulated. The sim has recently expanded somewhat with races on two more days, but only 2 races on the "off" days" and smaller fields. (and you may have to pay to get into them too in the future, though currently free). A new race entry tool has recently been introduced into the sim that makes finding races much easier and gives you a real time update as to whether your horse will make the field in a race or not, and the ability to switch to another race if you won't.

It is difficult to get a very good horse, but that's how it should be in my opinion. But by paying attention to the breedings of successful horses and doing some "research" into which sires work best with which dam-sires, you can increase your chances. I've had an entry in the sim version of the Kentucky Oaks and Derby (finished second in the Oaks and led the Derby for a long time before fading to 7th) as well as winning the first leg of the English Triple Crown, and finishing second in the next leg. And I have next to no horse racing/breeding knowledge. For me the challenge of getting such a horse is what makes the game so much fun.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:39 PM   #29
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
I understand where you are coming from with this. The game probably is overpopulated. The sim has recently expanded somewhat with races on two more days, but only 2 races on the "off" days" and smaller fields. (and you may have to pay to get into them too in the future, though currently free). A new race entry tool has recently been introduced into the sim that makes finding races much easier and gives you a real time update as to whether your horse will make the field in a race or not, and the ability to switch to another race if you won't.

It is difficult to get a very good horse, but that's how it should be in my opinion. But by paying attention to the breedings of successful horses and doing some "research" into which sires work best with which dam-sires, you can increase your chances. I've had an entry in the sim version of the Kentucky Oaks and Derby (finished second in the Oaks and led the Derby for a long time before fading to 7th) as well as winning the first leg of the English Triple Crown, and finishing second in the next leg. And I have next to no horse racing/breeding knowledge. For me the challenge of getting such a horse is what makes the game so much fun.

I'd pay good money for that game if he made a single-player version. Frankly, I don't enjoy having to compete with 10,000 other human-controlled stables in the game. There are too many wiseguys on there with too much time to spend on the game, making it impossible for the casual gamer to get any real satisfaction. But that's just my opinion.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:40 PM   #30
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
I'd pay good money for that game if he made a single-player version. Frankly, I don't enjoy having to compete with 10,000 other human-controlled stables in the game. There are too many wiseguys on there with too much time to spend on the game, making it impossible for the casual gamer to get any real satisfaction. But that's just my opinion.

Come on man...get coding. I've been waiting on this for years.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:48 PM   #31
condors
College Starter

i used to play that game years ago and they said a single player version was in the works but it never happened. Its a darn shame.