Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2005, 06:11 AM   #1
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Thumbs down NBA Finals = Joke

I thought these were supposed to be the two best teams in the league?

Game 1: 84-69 (15 pts)
Game 2: 97-76 (21 pts)
Game 3: 96-79 (17 pts)
Game 4: 102-71 (31 pts)

So the series is tied at 2-2, with the average winning margin at 21 points. Typically I would think a 2-2 series would include at least one competitive game.

I'm done wasting an hour or so of my nights watching this garbage.

Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
TLK
Pro Starter

I've enjoyed this series...
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:48 AM   #3
gi
College Prospect

Unless you're from Detroit or San Antonio, Drew feels the same way...

hxxp://www.freep.com/sports/drewsharp/drew17e_20050617.htm
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:57 AM   #4
General Mike
Pro Starter

the Home team won't lose a game.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:03 AM   #5
Warhammer
Pro Starter

This could shape up similar to the 88 finals between the Pistons and Lakers, the first five games were blowouts, and the last two went down to the wire.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, I hope they clean it up the next couple of games because they seem like 2 teams I'd like to watch play but so far every time I turn it on, it's a 10+ point game so I just keep right on going on the remote.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:35 AM   #7
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

It's the same reason I really havent watched any Finals game through the wire. Just occasional glimpses.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:44 AM   #8
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
This could shape up similar to the 88 finals between the Pistons and Lakers, the first five games were blowouts, and the last two went down to the wire.

the lakers had Magic Johnson and Byron Scott out the whole series with hamstring injury.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:47 AM   #9
korme
Go Reds

The games have been close, until the final periods where one team goes ahead.

Great series, IMO. Great play by both teams at points. Detroit is just so damn good as a team. Detroit in 7.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:22 PM   #10
RendeR
Coordinator

NBA Finals = Joke
---------------------------

NBA = Joke

there, I fixed that for you.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:23 PM   #11
Franklinnoble
Banned

The NBA Finals are going on?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:42 PM   #12
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I've liked the intensity of this finals. The games will get closer, I'm sure. The quality of the defensive play by both teams has been outstanding at times. I think the Pistons will end up taking this one.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #13
rkmsuf
Head Coach

BORING

Unless you are a Spurs or Piston fan I don't see how you can sit through those games.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #14
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

I've tried to watch them but man the finials do SUCK, I miss watching Jordan rip it up in the playoffs. Oh well, how long until football starts..???

Last edited by A-Husker-4-Life : 06-17-2005 at 02:29 PM.
A-Husker-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:31 PM   #15
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
NBA Finals = Joke
---------------------------

NBA = Joke

there, I fixed that for you.

Yeesh, coming from a NASCAR fan?

You saw the title of the thread, why click on it?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:32 PM   #16
Suicane75
Coordinator

I tried watching last night but i couldnt get into it. Maybe it will be more interesting when its a do or die game.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:32 PM   #17
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Aren't most Super Bowls usually blow outs too?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 06-17-2005, 02:34 PM   #18
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
Aren't most Super Bowls usually blow outs too?

Super Bowls are events. These games have just been tedious to watch.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:40 PM   #19
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Super Bowls are events. These games have just been tedious to watch.

I disagree - while the final score hasn't been close in one yet most of the games have at least been exciting. Its not like we are seeing 70-68 games here which is what everyone figured would be going on. In the last three games the winning team has put up 90+ points with some fantastic plays in those games as well.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #20
Suicane75
Coordinator

I suppose it's all personal tastes. To me it's just molases, maybe the western playoffs spoiled me.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:44 PM   #21
Comey
College Starter

I think Gary saw the way this year's finals were going to go, and programmed 15-20 games into TPB. Just look at my USBL history (so far)!

www.tpgr.net/USBL/history/ <-- shameless plug

-John

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #22
condors
College Starter

I am enjoying the series but wish the Suns were playing the Heat instead
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:36 PM   #23
st.cronin
General Manager

Cue Flavor Flav ...
"The NBA Finals Are A JOKE!"
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:40 PM   #24
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
the lakers had Magic Johnson and Byron Scott out the whole series with hamstring injury.

It was the 87-88 Finals, the 88-89 Finals were won by the Pistons in a sweep. The 87-88 Finals went to 7 games, the Lakers were down 3-2 and were down 2 point (?) in the final minute and pulled out a win in game 6.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:56 PM   #25
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by condors
I am not enjoying the series and wish the Suns were playing the Heat instead

Fixed it for ya.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:46 PM   #26
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
Yeesh, coming from a NASCAR fan?

You saw the title of the thread, why click on it?

This past weekend NASCAR was at Pocono Raceway where they instituted a new rule forcing all drivers to NOT shift during normal laps, it turned the race into one of the most boring conga-lines I've ever watched.

It still blows the NBA out of the water without even breaking a sweat.

I really dislike basketball, but can at least get into a high school or even a college game now and then because they're paying for something.

The NBA is nothing more than overpaid prima donnas who are more worried about their ride getting scratched than putting forth a real effort to perform for the fans.

These guys don't even play a full hour long game, its only 48 minutes and on top of that the vast majority of players aren't on the court for more than 25-30 of that amount. Of course someone will pipe in with "but they're running full speed constantly" or someother such BS, they don't, they jog, they run at half speed, they meander up and down the court with very short bursts of effort maybe a dozen times during the course of the game. These guys get paid more than ANY other professional sports player in this country.

I have to ask:

WTF for?

Football players don't play every down, but they do a fuck ton more when they are on the field than any NBA player does.

You want to compare with NASCAR? Please. there isn't an NBA player than would last 48 minutes in a stock car before passing out from the heat and mental stress.

Don't come at ME with "you're a NASCAR fan?" because the NBA can't keep up on any level.

Oh yes, and I saw the title and clicked on it to post exactly what I did. It a free board and I can voice my opinion of this piss poor excuse for a sport if I so choose

Last edited by RendeR : 06-17-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:49 PM   #27
Suicane75
Coordinator

WTF. Nascar is a mechanics contest.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:50 PM   #28
korme
Go Reds

Thats funny ^^

And horribly wrong on so many levels
Old 06-17-2005, 08:54 PM   #29
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
WTF. Nascar is a mechanics contest.

If you believe that you know nothing about the sport and should probably not speak out of turn.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:58 PM   #30
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
If you believe that you know nothing about the sport and should probably not speak out of turn.

I know alot of the sport, the pit crew is more important than the driver except in the rare case of a GREAT driver. And it's a free board, i can speak in any turn I want.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:07 PM   #31
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
I know alot of the sport, the pit crew is more important than the driver except in the rare case of a GREAT driver. And it's a free board, i can speak in any turn I want.

And while the pit crew is important, you are completely wrong in your opinion on the level of their importance. The pit crew is just another tool. the man giuding them and the man behind the wheel are the only two truly important cogs come race day.

and the crew cheif can't drive the car or he'd be driving his own.

The driver MUST have excellent stamina and mental concentration over 4-6 HOURS of continuous competition.

Sorry, but your opinion is as much flotsam in this case.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:39 PM   #32
Calis
College Starter

One of the more amusing thread turns I've seen in a while.

Maybe we can find two even more dissimiliar sports and compare dick sizes with those as well?

Oh and while I do believe there is a high percentage of Prima Donnas in the NBA, the Finals(what this thread was about) is not showcasing them. Those are both a couple teams that bust their asses.

As for the topic itself, I haven't been too impressed with the finals. I have been surprised though, Detroit putting up 102? Wouldn't have expected that against about anyone, let alone the Spurs. For excitement we would've had to see Suns/Heat, but the two best teams in the league are in the Finals now, so can't complain much about that.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 09:47 PM   #33
Easy Mac

I'm more excited to see exactly how much worse the referees can get in this series. Their inabilities to call fair games is mind-boggling. Its like Eric Gregg times 100.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:10 PM   #34
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
I'm more excited to see exactly how much worse the referees can get in this series. Their inabilities to call fair games is mind-boggling. Its like Eric Gregg times 100.

Is that pre- weight loss Eric Gregg? Cause if it is.....damn!
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 12:37 AM   #35
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac

No kidding. If I had to root for a team, I'd root for the Pistons, but I swear in game 4 Duncan was fouled literally EVERY time he got the ball.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #36
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Thumbs down NASCAR?

Quote:

NASCRAP, I mean uh ... NASCAR isn't a sport.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:13 PM   #37
FF
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
No kidding. If I had to root for a team, I'd root for the Pistons, but I swear in game 4 Duncan was fouled literally EVERY time he got the ball.

the refs have been against the pistons since the heat series!
Old 06-18-2005, 01:52 PM   #38
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin

The home court in this series has been determined by the officiating.

Ginobli driving the lane and making contact with Rasheed Wallace in San Antonio is a blocking foul, and a charge in Detroit. Multiply that by how ever many fouls occur, and you have 4 blowouts. It's pretty absurd to watch.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 05:12 PM   #39
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10
NASCRAP, I mean uh ... NASCAR isn't a sport.

Whatever, I've debunked that ignorant statement in enough other threads already, go read a few then come back when you can make an intelligent arguement and defend it with some facts.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:18 PM   #40
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

why isnt it a sport lionsfan
Old 06-18-2005, 05:30 PM   #41
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
This past weekend NASCAR was at Pocono Raceway where they instituted a new rule forcing all drivers to NOT shift during normal laps, it turned the race into one of the most boring conga-lines I've ever watched.

It still blows the NBA out of the water without even breaking a sweat.

I really dislike basketball, but can at least get into a high school or even a college game now and then because they're paying for something.

The NBA is nothing more than overpaid prima donnas who are more worried about their ride getting scratched than putting forth a real effort to perform for the fans.

These guys don't even play a full hour long game, its only 48 minutes and on top of that the vast majority of players aren't on the court for more than 25-30 of that amount. Of course someone will pipe in with "but they're running full speed constantly" or someother such BS, they don't, they jog, they run at half speed, they meander up and down the court with very short bursts of effort maybe a dozen times during the course of the game. These guys get paid more than ANY other professional sports player in this country.

I have to ask:

WTF for?

Football players don't play every down, but they do a fuck ton more when they are on the field than any NBA player does.

You want to compare with NASCAR? Please. there isn't an NBA player than would last 48 minutes in a stock car before passing out from the heat and mental stress.

Don't come at ME with "you're a NASCAR fan?" because the NBA can't keep up on any level.

Really though?

Sports is supposed to be just fun to begin with. You can say that NBA players don't deserve the money that they make for what they do on the court and I will agree with you. But will also tell you that goes same for all sports.

Let's look at football. You say most of the players on a basketball team don't even see the court. Well in a football game there are what, 11 players on the field at a time out of a roster of 50+? Sure there are a few positions who take a lot of phsyical toll out of you but on average, lets take a look at a WR. He lines up, sprints to his pattern and more often then not does not even recieve the pass. Is there a more lazy sports job out there than being a 3rd string quarterback? Every sport has its share of bigger and lesser contributors.

Come on man, you are not going to get an argument out of me in saying that athletes are overpaid. The reason they get paid as much as they do is becuase the public is out there willing to buy those expensive ass seats at MSG and the TV channels are willing to fork out those hundreds of millions of dollars to own the rights to broadcast the games. Hate them if you want, but don't fault the NBA for asking for less money.

Every sport has prima donnas. Does the NBA have a bigger portion than other sports? Maybe, but I don't think something like that can really be proven. The fans and media are sitting literally right next to the court when games are going on, the players do not wear masks and are easily identifiable. That with NBA rosters only consisting of 12-15 players per team may seem like a huge portion is selfish but again, I don't know how that can really be proven or disproven. Its your opinion against mine.

As for this finals though, I can think of maybe one guy on either roster who can be characterized as a prima donna or pain in the ass or whatever you call "all Nba players."

Last edited by Neuqua : 06-18-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:40 PM   #42
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
the players do not wear masks

Insert Rip Hamilton joke here...
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 05:51 PM   #43
Capital
High School Varsity

If the games were televised at a decent hour, then maybe more people could comment intelligently.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:19 PM   #44
TLK
Pro Starter

There's a pretty decent basketball game on ABC... check it out
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:49 PM   #45
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Robert Horry continues to amaze.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:57 PM   #46
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Of course I'm being somewhat facetious, but isn't the fact that we had four blowouts which resulted in a 2-2 series followed by a competitive fifth game on a Sunday night, um, odd? The series is tied, it's Father's Day, why not sit down and finally watch this NBA Finals stuff? Gee, imagine that. It's going to overtime! Go figure!

Seriously, there are so many times that the NBA looks fixed that it isn't funny anymore.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:59 PM   #47
korme
Go Reds

overtimeeeeeeeeee
Old 06-19-2005, 11:00 PM   #48
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Pumpy, I stopped gambling real money on the NBA long ago..
Old 06-19-2005, 11:09 PM   #49
Suicane75
Coordinator

I would make sweet man love to Robert Horry.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:13 PM   #50
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

You know, I don't believe in the clutch - but Robert Horry is making me believe.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote