College Benchwarmer

More wierd stuff for sale on E-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
On this past Sunday, June 5, I was hit by a car in front of my house. My cousin made a mistake and hit the gas peddle instead of the break peddle.
I was hit and sent flying onto the street. I was taken to the hospital and was stitched up with 8 staples.

I hope the University of Washington Business School teaches him that they are gas and brake pedals, not peddles.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

What alarms me is that someone has bid almost $10 on these!
Maybe I should try to sell the pin that was in my hand (ok, I had two pins in my hand, but one is missing, so I only have the one now...)

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
What alarms me is that someone has bid almost $10 on these!
Maybe I should try to sell the pin that was in my hand (ok, I had two pins in my hand, but one is missing, so I only have the one now...)

/tk

He is already getting a fair amount of publicity, my guess is that he will get a fair bit more than $10.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:20 PM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

He should have taken it one more step and threatened to use the staples on his pet rabbit by the 30th if he didn't get enough money to pay for school next year.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

terpkristin: Did all your injuries occur at once or are you just extremely accident prone? You seem to have a lot of after-market parts.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:53 PM   #7
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I hope the University of Washington Business School teaches him that they are gas and brake pedals, not peddles.

Remember that it IS Business school
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
6-15-05 --- Once the auction gets to 100 watchers or $200 in bids, I will be adding a present from the birthday party as a gift from me to the winning bidder. At 50 watchers or $100 bid, I will be giving a hint as to what that present is.

I'd be pretty pissed if I were the person giving him the present. And wait... if we bid $100.00 he'll give us a hint?!
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:46 PM   #9
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
terpkristin: Did all your injuries occur at once or are you just extremely accident prone? You seem to have a lot of after-market parts.

Well, the root of MOST of my injuries is that I've got hyperflexible joints to start with (i.e. pretty loose), and in some cases, I've had further injuries that have exacerbated the problem, forcing surgical repair. That said, I had a VERY BAD 2 years, 11 months where I was continually in surgery or PT. The gist:

7/26/2001: First-ever surgery. Right shoulder ligament repair, see http://kristin.seidelmann-owners.com...er_surgery.htm for more info.

12/20/2001: Left shoulder ligament repair, see above link for more info.

6/6/2002: Tonsillectomy. Chronic tonsilitis and strep throat really sucks. The pain involved in an adult tonsillectomy is the WORST pain I've ever been in.

8/15/2002: Ankle surgery #1. Basically, on July 3, 2001, I went up for a head ball while playing soccer and came down on the outside of my ankle, snapping all of the ligaments on the outside of my ankle. I tried rehab to no avail, and finally had it repaired in '02. It was repaired in a procedure that took a portion of one of the tendons in my ankle to reconstruct the ligaments.

1/29/2003: Hand surgery. I broke my hand punching a brick wall, and when it didn't heal well on its own after 2 months, we decided surgery was going to be necessary. They re-broke it an re-aligned it, holding it in place with the aforementioned pins (now removed, one is lost, one I still have, mostly as a reminder of the incident).

8/6/2003: Ankle surgery #2. Re-reconstruction of lateral ligaments, reconstruction of peroneus brevis and longus tendons, general debriedment.

12/24/2003: Ankle surgery #3. Re-reconstruction of peroneus brevis and longus tendons. In this surgery they wanted to use a cadaever graft for the tendon, but unfortunately couldn't based on the poor anatomy of my leg, so ended up taking a tendon from the bottom of my foot and re-routing it around the back of my leg to re-reconstruct the ankle tendons.

6/25/2004: Ankle surgery #4. Triple arthrodesis, sural neurectomy, Crisman-Snook lateral ligament reconstruction, and general debriedment. For more info on the ankle surgeries see http://gimpygal.blogspot.com/2005/04...throdesis.html

KNOCK ON WOOD, I've been "ok" since the last ankle surgery. Truthfully I need to get back into rehab, but I won't be able to do that until I have a job and insurance. One day I may also get my ankle and foot re-evaluated...the fusion didn't align quite perfectly, so there's a spot in the inner arch of my foot where it hurts (still). However I have no desire for any more surgeries so I'm ignoring it for now.

/tk
Old 06-16-2005, 02:08 AM   #10
Tara
Mascot

Quote:
Well, the root of MOST of my injuries is that I've got hyperflexible joints to start with (i.e. pretty loose), and in some cases, I've had further injuries that have exacerbated the problem, forcing surgical repair. That said, I had a VERY BAD 2 years, 11 months where I was continually in surgery or PT. The gist:

7/26/2001: First-ever surgery. Right shoulder ligament repair, see http://kristin.seidelmann-owners.com...er_surgery.htm for more info.

12/20/2001: Left shoulder ligament repair, see above link for more info.

6/6/2002: Tonsillectomy. Chronic tonsilitis and strep throat really sucks. The pain involved in an adult tonsillectomy is the WORST pain I've ever been in.

8/15/2002: Ankle surgery #1. Basically, on July 3, 2001, I went up for a head ball while playing soccer and came down on the outside of my ankle, snapping all of the ligaments on the outside of my ankle. I tried rehab to no avail, and finally had it repaired in '02. It was repaired in a procedure that took a portion of one of the tendons in my ankle to reconstruct the ligaments.

1/29/2003: Hand surgery. I broke my hand punching a brick wall, and when it didn't heal well on its own after 2 months, we decided surgery was going to be necessary. They re-broke it an re-aligned it, holding it in place with the aforementioned pins (now removed, one is lost, one I still have, mostly as a reminder of the incident).

8/6/2003: Ankle surgery #2. Re-reconstruction of lateral ligaments, reconstruction of peroneus brevis and longus tendons, general debriedment.

12/24/2003: Ankle surgery #3. Re-reconstruction of peroneus brevis and longus tendons. In this surgery they wanted to use a cadaever graft for the tendon, but unfortunately couldn't based on the poor anatomy of my leg, so ended up taking a tendon from the bottom of my foot and re-routing it around the back of my leg to re-reconstruct the ankle tendons.

6/25/2004: Ankle surgery #4. Triple arthrodesis, sural neurectomy, Crisman-Snook lateral ligament reconstruction, and general debriedment. For more info on the ankle surgeries see http://gimpygal.blogspot.com/2005/04...throdesis.html

KNOCK ON WOOD, I've been "ok" since the last ankle surgery. Truthfully I need to get back into rehab, but I won't be able to do that until I have a job and insurance. One day I may also get my ankle and foot re-evaluated...the fusion didn't align quite perfectly, so there's a spot in the inner arch of my foot where it hurts (still). However I have no desire for any more surgeries so I'm ignoring it for now.

/tk

Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:27 AM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think Tara said it well.

I would like to know the story behind punching the brick wall. That sounds interesting.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:48 AM   #12
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

NEWS UPDATE!!!

as she knocked on wood, tk broke two fingers, surgery will be necessary... again...

Story developping...

FM
Old 06-16-2005, 11:15 AM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
NEWS UPDATE!!!

as she knocked on wood, tk broke two fingers, surgery will be necessary... again...

Story developping...

FM

Sad but true

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 01:27 PM   #14
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

OK, the story on how I broke my hand (which I was SURE I'd posted here before but couldn't find any trace of so oh well).

First, the buildup. I had my first ankle surgery on 8/15/02 and had been in a cast for 6 weeks, then a walking cast for 6 weeks and then a brace for another 4 weeks. I was allowed to stop wearing the brace on 10/26/02, and was THRILLED to be out of it.

Unfortunately, during that time I wasn't really able to do any of my normal workout stuff (running, karate, soccer) to keep my stress levels down, and stress was particularly high. My grandfather was at the end of his battle with stomach cancer, and the family knew it was a matter of weeks or days before he passed. Two weeks before the incident, on 10/15/02, I had told my Satellite Communications prof about my grandfather's condition. We had a test the next week, and I didn't know if my grandfather would still be alive--if he wasn't, I would be out of town supporting my family and doing funeral things, and so I just wanted to make sure he didn't think I was skipping and making up excuses. His response was something to the effect of, "I don't care about your grandfather, if you're not in class for the exam, you'll automatically fail my class. I don't do makeup exams." To which I reminded him, "Well, I'm pretty sure that this is covered under university policy.." and he replied, "I don't care about university policy, this is my policy. You miss it, you fail."

Well, I was pissed as all hell but had a lot of witnesses to what he said (them all agreeing with me that he couldn't get away with that), so I made a point to tell my advisor about it "just in case" anything happened. As it turned out, my grandfather was hanging on so I made it to the exam, no problems. As a matter of fact, I was really well-prepared for the exam and finished it quickly...about 30 minutes before the end of class.

Ok, so flash forward back to 10/29. So thrilled to be out of the casts and brace, I walked into my office that morning literally jumping for joy, showing off what I could do, now that I was "free." Two people, Glen and Elisa, both said something to the effect of, "Well, now that means you'll hurt something else." Keep in mind that there are people who in my graduate career NEVER knew me without a supporting device of some sort. I told them that if in fact I did get hurt again any time soon, that they would be taking the blame. If only I'd known...

That night in Sat. Comm., the prof handed back our exams (I had gotten an 89, not bad for not having studied and finished early) and also handed out a sheet saying that if grades were to be given that day, what grade we'd earn. I looked at my sheet and he said I'd have a D.

Now, this caught me quite off guard. His rationale for a D was that my homework was handed in unprofessionally. WHAT?!?! I was one of those dorks that TYPED every assignment (well, used Mathematica, because mostly it required it anyway). I'd never gotten less than 95% on a homework assignment, and I'd just gotten an 89% on the only exam in the class. A D really didn't make sense. In retrospect, I think he thought I was a jerk, and graded that way. I was also "unprofessional" in appearance during the class because while others would come in fresh from work in business suits, I was a full-time student and came in shorts and a t-shirt usually (which was sort of necessary when I was in the cast anyway). So, he already had me fuming for this grade of a "D" that made no sense based on quantitative results from assignments. I was pissed, but decided that it would be best if I took the matter up with my advisor or with the graduate advisor for the department--obviously, this guy was a bit of a prick (there were many other instances to other students he'd been a prick, too, it's certainly not like I was the only one).

During the break, I went up to ask him about a homework question he'd marked wrong. He maintained that he was right in marking it wrong, insisting that I must have changed the answer, thus cheated and he should fail me for cheating. During this exchange, he also called me a "dumb blonde." First off, it should have been obvious I couldn't cheat..again, I did all my homework on the computer, so there was no way to change the answer in class. Second off, there was NO REASON for him to call me a dumb blonde. Needless to say I walked out of the room for the rest of the break, and tried to cool off.

So, after the break, we started going over the exam. On the first question, I noticed that I had in fact had the answer right, just in a different format (I used the exponential version of the sin and cos functions, his answer was in sin/cos, for those who remember their math...). So, I raised my hand to ask why I had gotten it wrong. The dialog went something like this:

Him: Yes, Dana?
Me: Um...are you talking to me? (I was SHOCKED, since he'd known my name from the first class period...it's hard to forget a 6' tall blonde with a bum leg)
Him: Oh shit. What's your name again?
Me: It's Kristin.
Him: Well, you had a question?
Me: (I paused a few seconds, I was really dumbfounded) Well excuse me, I'm just a little taken aback here...
Him: Hurry the hell up, I don't have all day.
Me: Uh, well, I was wondering on the format for--
Him: (cutting me off completely) Moving on to question 2.
At this point, according to my classmates, I got the "look of death" in my face, walked out of the room, and slammed my fist into the wall. I was pissed, and for some reason I don't believe in hitting OTHER people so I took out my frustrations on the wall.

Needless to say, the bone was quite broken. If you imagine the bones in your hand as all having "heads" where the knuckles come together, the head of mine was no longer pointing outwards toward the finger, it was instead pointing inwards towards my palm. After 2 months in a cast, when I was still in pain, we decided to fix it surgically. As it turned out, not only was the bone angulated (pointing in the wrong direction), it was twisted (which you couldn't tell from the x-ray), meaning it would NEVER have healed on its own. Surgery to rebreak and realign it worked fine, though, and as I said, I still have one of the pins that was used to hold it in place.

My grandfather died 2 days after I punched the wall, on 10/31/2002.
After the incident, I started working to get the guy fired (he was a visiting professor). I sparked some inquiry into his actions in general, and I believe that others came forward and spoke of things he did or said that were downright rude, unprofessional, and improper. He was eventually asked never to come back. Good riddance is what I say.

Lessons learned: don't piss me off, don't punch brick walls

/tk
Old 06-16-2005, 01:31 PM   #15
Pyser
Pro Rookie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4551989654
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:06 PM   #16
JeeberD
General Manager

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW