Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
NYFAN
High School JV

Downloading Music

I'm considering buying one of the music download things (like napster) for a few days (or month) just to get a lot of songs that I want that I haven't gotten since I stopped using them... Anybody have any experience in terms of which way to go is the cheapest? How do these pay ones work now? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

"It was me against the world, but it made me strong" -Sprewell

NYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:52 PM   #2
MJ4H
Coordinator

I have heard, though I do not know this for sure, that Napster's music expires when you cancel your subscription with them. Meaning you can no longer play the music after you cancel. I would look for that type of stuff when checking out a potential site.

FWIW, I love iTunes.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:55 PM   #3
Raven
College Prospect

I've heard the same thing about Napster as MJ4H. Once you stop paying for the service, you can no longer play the music. And you can't burn any of the songs you get from Napster on to cd's, as I believe they are in their own format.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:02 PM   #4
amdaily
College Prospect

I signed up for a trail for Napster after seeing their unlimited downloads commerical scheme. Everytime I tried to look up an album they wanted $14.95 more for it.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:10 PM   #5
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

allofmp3.com

For the majority of the albums they have, you can pick the quality you want and they'll encode the mp3 on the fly. You pay based on file size and at 192 kbps, I can typically get an album for $1.50
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:41 PM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

And don't worry, the Russian Mafia is far too ethical to use your credit card info for evil!

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:28 AM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFAN
I'm considering buying one of the music download things (like napster) for a few days (or month) just to get a lot of songs that I want that I haven't gotten since I stopped using them... Anybody have any experience in terms of which way to go is the cheapest? How do these pay ones work now? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Rhapsody is $10/mo and it works really well. I've had it for over two years now. I've had Napster, too. I like it better, for say, downloading music and burning it. But that's really all it's good for. Rhapsody is great for streaming, creating playlists and stuff and making CDs too, because it has a deep catalog. Napster has newer stuff, but often times doesn't make it all available for streaming.

Rhapsody almost always has stuff online for streaming, but it might not be available for burning.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:37 AM   #8
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Yahoo's service is cheaper than Napster's, with pretty much the same terms. I believe it is $6.99/month for month-to-month service or $4.99/month if you pay for a year.
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:51 AM   #9
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
allofmp3.com

For the majority of the albums they have, you can pick the quality you want and they'll encode the mp3 on the fly. You pay based on file size and at 192 kbps, I can typically get an album for $1.50

I've been using this site and love it! I've made a number of deposits via my debit card - never more than $10 or $15 and have had no problems. They just started a bonus where once you have deposited $50 (cumulative) you start getting a percentage of your deposits as bonus...it's small, maybe 1 or 2 percent, but it's better than nothing! The songs are easy to download and easy to import into iTunes...no problems playing them on my iPod either!
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:54 AM   #10
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
allofmp3.com

Russian.

See if any of the artists or labels have been paid by allofmp3.com.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:56 AM   #11
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
Russian.

See if any of the artists or labels have been paid by allofmp3.com.

Does that make it any more or less legal in Russia?

P.S. - Note I said legal and not moral. The morality of this is an entirely different issue.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:03 AM   #12
Blackadar
Retired

I've used AllofMP3 in the past - and occasionally do so now.

The prices are nice - there's no doubt about that. But that's not the primary reason I use(d) it. I checked out many other US-based online sites and all of them restricted my ability to use the music I purchased or were outrageous in price.

For example, you lose the right to play the music you purchased with Napster. Other online systems restrict or prevent the ability to code music to the MP3 format or burn it to personal CDs. I have a built-in CD/MP3 player in my car which is where I listen to my music, so that doesn't work for me. Restricting my personal of music that I purchase isn't the solution for me. Others are so absurdly priced that it can cost you more to buy an album online than at the local Best Buy.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:10 AM   #13
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Gee I wonder if the fact that it is 10 times cheaper than any American site means anything. I can also pick up copies of any movie currently in the theater in China for a couple of bucks. Why does anyone shop at US stores?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:21 AM   #14
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

If you BUY a song from Napster, it's yours forever once you burn it to CD. You only lose the right to play a Napster song if you RENT a song.

As to the Russian site, while it may very well be legal in Russia, there are questions of whether an American using the site is legal. That site has stuff by the Beatles, Madonna, Garth Brooks, and others that hasn't been authorized for download here. That alone should raise eyebrows. That doesn't mean I haven't used the site, but I would be a little weary. It's probably no more/less legal than Kazaa, iMesh, LimeWire, or BitTorrent. However, it's probably much harder to track and prosecute, plus you probably have less risk for virus.
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:44 AM   #15
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'd like to learn more about this.

1) When obtaining a song from Napster, you actually have the option to "rent" instead of "buy?" Is it a different price? Is the legal agreement different? Different formats?

2) Does Napster make it an easy option to burn their music to CD and make it clear in their terms of service that you can burn your music to CD to get around the expiring license?
Old 06-15-2005, 11:55 AM   #16
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Does that make it any more or less legal in Russia?

P.S. - Note I said legal and not moral. The morality of this is an entirely different issue.

It's definitely legal in Russia.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:56 AM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, somewhere in all the info, I think I got lost.

Here's what might interest me, somebody highlight the best option or two.
1) Legal ...
2)Buy & d'load in format easily burned to CD (no Ipod, no interest in one)
3) Minimal software to install. I just want the files available, not looking for a 24/7 program that tries to run constantly or spyware or anything other than access to the files
4) Reasonably priced

Basically, I want to end up with CD's of artists-with-one-song-I-like or perhaps the occasional inconvienient to find album, listened to 99.9% of the time in the car, virtually no other use of them.

Does anything actually fit those requirements?
Old 06-15-2005, 11:56 AM   #18
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqFu
If you BUY a song from Napster, it's yours forever once you burn it to CD. You only lose the right to play a Napster song if you RENT a song.

As to the Russian site, while it may very well be legal in Russia, there are questions of whether an American using the site is legal. That site has stuff by the Beatles, Madonna, Garth Brooks, and others that hasn't been authorized for download here. That alone should raise eyebrows. That doesn't mean I haven't used the site, but I would be a little weary. It's probably no more/less legal than Kazaa, iMesh, LimeWire, or BitTorrent. However, it's probably much harder to track and prosecute, plus you probably have less risk for virus.

No, AllofMP3 is significantly different than Kazaa and the rest. The difference is that this site has been ruled legal in Russia. I also pay for my music (unlike it being free with Kazaa).

So there's little difference in going to Russia and buying the CD or downloading it from AllofMP3. And last time I checked, it's not illegal to bring non-bootleg imports back into the USA.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #19
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Why does anyone use pay services, there are some great free programs that will allow you to get double the selection of the pay services for FREE. Im sure you all already know this, I just dont understand why people are so uptight about using p2p services. When I lived at home my mother banned me from downloading music as she said it was stealing and illegal. I just dont care its music with existing programs to obtain it, its not me breaking into a car and taking it.

Last edited by TheOhioStateUniversity : 06-15-2005 at 11:59 AM.
TheOhioStateUniversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:09 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity
I just dont care its music with existing programs to obtain it, its not me breaking into a car and taking it.

It's actually no different at all, and you're nothing more than a damned pathetic thief.

Nice to see what wonderful material our universities have to work with these days.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-15-2005 at 12:11 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:15 PM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why does anyone use pay services, there are some great free programs that will allow you to get double the selection of the pay services for FREE. Im sure you all already know this, I just dont understand why people are so uptight about using p2p services. When I lived at home my mother banned me from downloading music as she said it was stealing and illegal. I just dont care its music with existing programs to obtain it, its not me breaking into a car and taking it.

Tool.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:28 PM   #22
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Ok JohninMiddleGa play the holier than thou role.... You dont know me or how I operate other than I use P2p programs to get music. There is a difference between law and morality, and although I know what I do is against the law I dont feel its immoral for me to obtain music, movies, etc... thats shared with me. I just dont feel like Im going to go to hell for downloading the latest Jay-Z album on Mirc....

Last edited by TheOhioStateUniversity : 06-15-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:29 PM   #23
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Ok JohninMiddleGa play the holier than thou role.... You dont know me or how I operate other than I use P2p programs to get music. There is a difference between law and morality, and although I know what I do is against the law I dont feel its immoral for me to obtain music, movies, etc... thats shared with me. I just dont feel liek Im going to go to hell for downloading the latest Jay-Z album on Mirc....

What about music downloaded from indie labels? It's the principle.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:30 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just dont feel liek Im going to go to hell for downloading the latest Jay-Z album on Mirc....

Didn't say anything about Hell ... prison is where you belong.

And if there's one dime of government money being used in your pursuit of education, and one moment of government provided bandwidth used in your criminal pursuits, then perhaps Federal prison at that.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:32 PM   #25
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Yes I need to be in federal prison for using a p2p program to get music.....pfffttt... and I admitted Im breaking the law but jail...come on man you do know there are murderers and rapists running around? I dont give a f*ck about the law as it concerns p2p sharing.

Last edited by TheOhioStateUniversity : 06-15-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:36 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes I need to be in federal prison for using a p2p program to get music.....pfffttt... and I admitted Im breaking the law but jail...come on man you do know there are murderers and rapists running around? I dont give a f*ck about the law as it concerns p2p sharing.

Please then, do us a favor -- share your real name & student ID with us -- there are a few people who might be interested to have it.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:37 PM   #27
MJ4H
Coordinator

Let's try not to threadjack. Downloading copyrighted music without proper permission is against the law. For a reason. So there's the answer to your question why people are so uptight about downloading music using p2p software.

JimGA:

iTunes allows you to make CDs directly from the same software which you browse, sample, purchase, and download music (usually 99c per song). It is extremely easy to burn CDs of downloaded music immediately. iTunes is also a very good music organizational tool. This is one of the things that makes the iPod so attractive (its interface with iTunes). But even not regarding the iPod in the equation, iTunes is an extremely attractive package. That's my recommendation for you.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:38 PM   #28
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Ok johnInMiddleGA saving the world from those damn music thiefs...I laugh at you because you take youself and this situation a little too seriously. Sure Ill give you my student id and full name, that would be smart.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:39 PM   #29
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Ok johnInMiddleGA saving the world from those damn music thiefs...I laugh at you because you take youself and this situation a little too seriously. Sure Ill give you my student id and full name, that would be smart.

Ignore John. He's not happy unless the USA becomes a facist dictatorship.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:41 PM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
But even not regarding the iPod in the equation, iTunes is an extremely attractive package. That's my recommendation for you.

Thanks Matt, I was (once again) genuinely getting lost in all the options, and wanted somebody to just match my priorities against them (I've looked at the various sites several times each since they started appearing, never really developed any feeling I really understood them for sure).
Old 06-15-2005, 12:41 PM   #31
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Jon--I second the rec. of iTunes. It's big (should not go away any time soon) and very easy to use. It works great with iPod, but I used it for a while even before I got my iPod.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:42 PM   #32
MJ4H
Coordinator

No problem. I use iTunes extensively these days, if you need any guidance with it or have more questions about what it can do and do easily before you decide to try it (which is free, of course) just shoot me a PM or here in this thread.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:43 PM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Ignore John. He's not happy unless the USA becomes a facist dictatorship.

Just ignore Blackie, he's just upset because he can't find a socialist paradise that survives.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:01 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sure Ill give you my student id and full name, that would be smart.

Well, it was worth a try, I figured it was about a 50/50 shot.

Failing that, I think we can still probably arrange to have OSU decide this particular site should be blocked from access, since it's being apparently being used by a student to advocate criminal activity.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:03 PM   #35
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Firstly Im on summer break, secondly what is your problem? Do you have anything better to do with your life?
Old 06-15-2005, 01:04 PM   #36
NYFAN
High School JV

With iTunes you have to buy the service, and then buy each song individually?

Old 06-15-2005, 01:05 PM   #37
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No problem. I use iTunes extensively these days, if you need any guidance with it or have more questions about what it can do and do easily before you decide to try it (which is free, of course) just shoot me a PM or here in this thread.

So, here's what I've figured out so far ...
1) I would d'load their software
2) The software lets me browse their catalog, see their titles, pricing, etc.

Q1 -- if I install the software, it's inactive unless I choose to open the program (or can easily reset any autorun/autoload settings)?
Q2 -- It appears that iTunes is strictly pay-as-you-go -- No monthly or subscription fees, no deposit to make, just pay for what you want & pay for it at the time you want it. Right?
Q3 -- Basically, if I install the software & then decide for some reason that it isn't for me, I'm out nothing but a little time?
Old 06-15-2005, 01:07 PM   #38
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Okay, somewhere in all the info, I think I got lost.

Here's what might interest me, somebody highlight the best option or two.
1) Legal ...
2)Buy & d'load in format easily burned to CD (no Ipod, no interest in one)
3) Minimal software to install. I just want the files available, not looking for a 24/7 program that tries to run constantly or spyware or anything other than access to the files
4) Reasonably priced

Basically, I want to end up with CD's of artists-with-one-song-I-like or perhaps the occasional inconvienient to find album, listened to 99.9% of the time in the car, virtually no other use of them.

Does anything actually fit those requirements?

Hmm - would you listen to music at home, at all ? I realize its not what you mentioned, but I love Rhapsody, because it streams the music onto your music at a high bitrate(no downloading of it - you pay a $10 monthly charge), and charges only 79 cents per song if you wish to download and burn to a CD. Also, if you're a subscriber, I believe you can download 25 free songs a month to your hard drive (As opposed to having it streaming) and then burn those- but i'm not certain on that.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:08 PM   #39
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Firstly Im on summer break, secondly what is your problem? Do you have anything better to do with your life?

Anything I can do to disrupt an admitted criminal is time well spent AFAIC.
You're the one who came into this thread shooting off their mouth like some sort of juvenile delinquent, it might be worthwhile that you learn a lesson or two from it. And if not, it'd still be quite fun.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:09 PM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Hmm - would you listen to music at home, at all ? I realize its not what you mentioned, but I love Rhapsody, because it streams the music onto your music at a high bitrate(no downloading of it - you pay a $10 monthly charge), and charges only 79 cents per song if you wish to download and burn to a CD. Also, if you're a subscriber, I believe you can download 25 free songs a month to your hard drive (As opposed to having it streaming) and then burn those- but i'm not certain on that.

It'd be fairly rare -- among other things, I tend to like my music loud, and that's not real conducive to domestic harmony (i.e. my wife would go insane at a fairly rapid pace).
Old 06-15-2005, 01:11 PM   #41
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
With iTunes you have to buy the service, and then buy each song individually?

You don't have to buy the service. But you can buy songs invividually or by albums.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:12 PM   #42
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Get JohninMiddleGa a life Stat!!!
Old 06-15-2005, 01:12 PM   #43
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
So, here's what I've figured out so far ...
1) I would d'load their software
2) The software lets me browse their catalog, see their titles, pricing, etc.

Q1 -- if I install the software, it's inactive unless I choose to open the program (or can easily reset any autorun/autoload settings)?
Q2 -- It appears that iTunes is strictly pay-as-you-go -- No monthly or subscription fees, no deposit to make, just pay for what you want & pay for it at the time you want it. Right?
Q3 -- Basically, if I install the software & then decide for some reason that it isn't for me, I'm out nothing but a little time?

all correct.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:13 PM   #44
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Get JohninMiddleGa a life Stat!!!

I'm doing okay, thanks. I'm making enough to pay for your "education", that ought to be enough to satisfy you. Maybe we should see if your Mom knows the sort of things you post online, maybe it's time for another home-based banning.

And btw, did you clean your room yet?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-15-2005 at 01:14 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:22 PM   #45
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

I dont remember saying anything about how much money you make. I said you need to get a life, as you seem to be overly concerned with hunting down vicious internet music sharing thiefs. Im thinking if you had a life maybe you could use that time to take a lady out or talk to some friends.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:23 PM   #46
MJ4H
Coordinator

You can't be serious.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:33 PM   #47
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
You can't be serious.

I actually think he is
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:21 PM   #48
NYFAN
High School JV

ok... hopefully the last question... i went with iTunes... now I have a song in an M4P format, how do I convert that to something I can play in a cd player?

Old 06-15-2005, 02:32 PM   #49
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
ok... hopefully the last question... i went with iTunes... now I have a song in an M4P format, how do I convert that to something I can play in a cd player?

If you mean burning it to disc, itunes has a built-in burner. AFAIK, the only way to convert an itunes file to an MP3 is to burn it to disc in itunes, then rip it back as an MP3.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:36 PM   #50
NYFAN
High School JV

ok, but the built in burner will convert it to a file that i can play in a regular player, or my car etc...? thanks again for all of your help.