View Poll Results: NHL EHM 2005 or FM 2005, You decide for me
NHL EHM 2005 13 38.24%
FM 2005 21 61.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2005, 01:15 PM   #1
SegRat
High School Varsity

NHL EHM 2005 or FM 2005

I am going to buy 1. I am not sure which I really want. So I have decided to let you decide for me. I will buy one of these on Friday.

SegRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:22 PM   #2
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

FM 2005 is a much more indepth game. It has a lot more bells and whistles and more immersive game play. The 2D view is quite slick, you have many more options to interact with players and the media. It's just a more evolved game thanks to being around for so many years.

This is just the second (well, third if you count the freeware version, which is appropriate, I guess) version of EHM. That said, it's an amazing game. I can't stop playing it. It has a lot of what is mentioned above, but is just not as indepth... yet.

It depends, I guess, if you're a bigger soccer fan or hockey fan. I loved the Champ Man games, loved them. Still consider them to be perhaps one of the best PC games ever. Probably #2 behind X-Com. Easily the most addictive. I have FM 2005, but haven't even installed it. I got caught up in EHM 2004 and 2005. Since I am a fan of hockey above all other sports, I can't help it. If you're sport neutral when it comes to soccer or hockey, I'd say FM 2005.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
FM 2005 is a much more indepth game. It has a lot more bells and whistles and more immersive game play. The 2D view is quite slick, you have many more options to interact with players and the media. It's just a more evolved game thanks to being around for so many years.

This is just the second (well, third if you count the freeware version, which is appropriate, I guess) version of EHM. That said, it's an amazing game. I can't stop playing it. It has a lot of what is mentioned above, but is just not as indepth... yet.

It depends, I guess, if you're a bigger soccer fan or hockey fan. I loved the Champ Man games, loved them. Still consider them to be perhaps one of the best PC games ever. Probably #2 behind X-Com. Easily the most addictive. I have FM 2005, but haven't even installed it. I got caught up in EHM 2004 and 2005. Since I am a fan of hockey above all other sports, I can't help it. If you're sport neutral when it comes to soccer or hockey, I'd say FM 2005.

This is really the best account you're going to get if you want to make an informed decision, but if you just want to go by the poll, that's cool too.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

FM. While its frustrating in many ways if you're a die-hard fan (season long loans - my kingdom for season long loans in January for older, veteran players) - its still the best simulation out there, bar none.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
jbmagic
Pro Starter

if your a newbie to SI games, then EHM 2005 will be a lot easier to understand and get into.

i am loving ehm 2005. i plan to get FM 2006 after. i should have some experience with SI game by then when its release in Dec.

plus i have more knowledge of hockey than soccer.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
moriarty
College Starter

There should be a 'both' option. Not much to add than what Honolulu_Blue said above ^^.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I just loaded up FM2005 for the first time the other night. I am a huge hockey fan. I now love FM2005. Hard to explain, but I would find the extra scratch to buy both. Yes, they are that good.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Dola...anyone able to explain the difference between Championship Manager and Football Manager?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:55 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

EHM 2005

I love hockey..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:56 PM   #10
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Dola...anyone able to explain the difference between Championship Manager and Football Manager?

Championship Manager = Bad

Football Manager = Good

Basically, they were one in the same up until Championship Manager 4. Then the guys over at Sigames (Marc V and the rest) split off from Eidos. Marc and company made Football Manager 2005, whereas the EIDOS guys kept the name and made the latest Championship Manager which by many accounts is a poor attempt at upgrading CM4.

At least I think that's accurate.

Last edited by moriarty : 06-13-2005 at 01:56 PM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:00 PM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty

Football Manager = Good

Basically, they were one in the same up until Championship Manager 4. Then the guys over at Sigames (Marc V and the rest) split off from Eidos. Marc and company made Football Manager 2005, whereas the EIDOS guys kept the name and made the latest Championship Manager which by many accounts is a poor attempt at upgrading CM4.

Sounds about right. Since I have never actually played FM 2005, I refer to the series as Championship Manager. I would never buy a non-SI Champ Man. Ever.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:00 PM   #12
korme
Go Reds

Do you like soccer or hockey more?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:01 PM   #13
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty

Football Manager = Good

They were the same through CM03/04, with FM being the evolution of the same code. CM5 is Eidos's first (bad) attempt at creating a new breed in the genre.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #14
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Do you like soccer or hockey more?

Really it just boils down to this, Nate. Myself, I've never been able to get into FM (though I've hardly tried) since I know so little about soccer tactics and so forth.

I'm voting for EHM. You live close enough to Minnesota, so you should like hockey or learn to like it.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:27 PM   #15
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Really it just boils down to this, Nate. Myself, I've never been able to get into FM (though I've hardly tried) since I know so little about soccer tactics and so forth.

I'm voting for EHM. You live close enough to Minnesota, so you should like hockey or learn to like it.

I felt that same way, and I still really don't know what I'm doing. But when my MLS guy scores a late goal, I'm jumping up and down in my seat.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #16
SegRat
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar

We have hockey up in Green Bay, which I used to try to go see a couple of times a season. I really enjoyed those games. I play in an adult coed soccer league in town, and just was asked to play some indoor soccer this winter. I really dont watch much of either on tv except world cup and the Olympics.

Really I am just looking to get into a new game and you guys here have been raving about both, so I figured put her to an ol poll and you guys can pick the game for me.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:47 PM   #17
Bee
Pro Starter

Well HB already summed it up pretty well. I voted FM2005 because there weren't any trout options.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:44 PM   #18
BYU 14
Coordinator

Are either of these games available via download or are they CD-Rom only?
BYU 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:24 PM   #19
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14
Are either of these games available via download or are they CD-Rom only?

FM2005 is CD-Rom only... EHM is supposed to be coming out on download, possibly this week.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:28 PM   #20
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I am interested in FM, but I have a really poor soccer knowledge when it comes to both rules and tactics. Is there a good guide that has both, or multiple guides? Or does the game come with a good manual?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:08 AM   #21
vyshka
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71

Unless a miraculous change was brought about by some patch, Eidos' CM5 is awful. Definitely go with FM2005.
vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:09 AM   #22
vyshka
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202
I am interested in FM, but I have a really poor soccer knowledge when it comes to both rules and tactics. Is there a good guide that has both, or multiple guides? Or does the game come with a good manual?

As far as the game goes, if you do a search on the forums here you can find some good info, plus the forums over at sigames. For general footie knowledge I have no idea where to look, but I imagine a search on google could turn up something.
vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:18 AM   #23
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202

Tactics

http://www.fifa.com/en/regulations/r...584,3,00.html#

Last edited by Desnudo : 06-14-2005 at 01:18 AM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:31 AM   #24
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Desnudo thanks.

fm 2005 is so deep. i want to learn the game but at times its so confusing in what to do.

i just have fm 2005 gold demo, but if i can learn it well, i will get fm 2006.

kinda hard with no manual with the demo.

i wish there was a great walkthru for fm 2005. so i get an idea where to start and what i need to do.

EHM gold demo, just seems a little easier to firgure most things out so far. i cant wait for it to come to the states or i just might get it when the download is available.

i cant wait for ootp 7 on SI. its going to be great.

Last edited by jbmagic : 06-14-2005 at 01:33 AM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:46 AM   #25
JeffR
High School JV

If it has to be one or the other, let this guide your choice:

Here's the FM development team:

http://www.corefm.net/footballmanage...edia_bhoys.JPG
http://www.corefm.net/footballmanage...evelopment.JPG
http://www.corefm.net/footballmanage...velopment2.JPG
http://www.corefm.net/footballmanage...s/tour/sam.JPG
http://www.corefm.net/footballmanage...ur/vaughan.JPG

Note the sheer volume of people, the overflowing bookshelves, the framed pictures and CD's hanging behind them. Now here's poor Riz:

http://www.corefm.net/footballmanage...isto_Remes.JPG

Tucked away in a corner, no shelves, a couple of posters slapped halfheartedly on the wall.

Now which of these two groups looks like it needs your money the most? Also, if you buy EHM, I promise Riz will come to your house and thank you personally.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:35 AM   #26
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
Note the sheer volume of people, the overflowing bookshelves, the framed pictures and CD's hanging behind them. Now here's poor Riz:

Tucked away in a corner, no shelves, a couple of posters slapped halfheartedly on the wall.

Now which of these two groups looks like it needs your money the most? Also, if you buy EHM, I promise Riz will come to your house and thank you personally.

Awww.... Is that really all you can find on the web from our suite

I'll really need to get some of the pictures online from January when a whole bunch of us from SI (including some of the footie devs) went over to the London Racers' rink to play some hockey and later in the day some of the players visited us at the EHM suite to get a sneak preview of the game. We may not match the FM team in size and the amount of memorabilia but we've redecorated our suite since to try and make it look more crowded than it is
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:37 AM   #27
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
If it has to be one or the other, let this guide your choice:

Here's the FM development team:

http://www.corefm.net/footballmanage...edia_bhoys.JPG
http://www.corefm.net/footballmanage...evelopment.JPG
http://www.corefm.net/footballmanage...velopment2.JPG
http://www.corefm.net/footballmanage...s/tour/sam.JPG
http://www.corefm.net/footballmanage...ur/vaughan.JPG

Riz has a Pennywise poster behind him, at least he likes awesome music

About which game to buy, both are really well done, i would choose one just depending on the sport you preffer.

Last edited by Icy : 06-14-2005 at 02:38 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:08 AM   #28
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'd suggest buying both .... probably a couple of copies of each in case you lose one

(on a more serious note - out of the two I'd suggest EHM:FE if you're only getting one, its more likely to be based around a sport you're familiar with and also has a far smaller sale volume than FM currently ... helping its sales will help ensure its future as a game (and also hopefully help expand the dev team on it one day))
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:09 AM   #29
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

PS> My desk is always that messy and my hair has now returned to its natural colour (although I do have a small beard currently) ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 06-14-2005 at 03:10 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:36 AM   #30
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
Awww.... Is that really all you can find on the web from our suite

Well, there were some of Graeme, but I didn't want to frighten any small children that might be reading the forum.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:40 AM   #31
Graeme Kelly
SI Games

Quote:
Well, there were some of Graeme, but I didn't want to frighten any small children that might be reading the forum.

You're the one that looks like a psycho murderer.
Graeme Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:09 PM   #32
SegRat
High School Varsity

OK guys I think I am going to go with what Marky V says an pick up NHL EHM strickly for the fact that FM has its support already. Another sell on EHM will only help it for the future. Where FM really doesnt NEED it. So as soon as DL is availaible, EHM it is, But I thank you all for your advise.