Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
korme
Go Reds

Reds Thread

I always have crap to comment on the Reds, no where to put it.

So how about this, we have enough fans here where this will be ok.

Anyways, Kearns shipped down to AAA. That's pretty fucking crazy. I don't know what has happened to him, and I think he's probably going to get dealt. I don't know if we can get any value for him if we trade him right now, but we should because he's still going to be a fine ballplayer.

We took 2 of 3 from the O's, our bats are hot and some pitchers are doing well (Claussen was fantastic!).

Milton starts tomorrow against the Sox, which means Boston gets a chance to largely add to their HR numbers. I hate Milton, and it's early in the season.

Aurillia is also getting hot since he has come off the DL, so hot that I don't know where we should play him. Felipe needs to be in the lineup everyday, and Freel should be our everyday 2B, so maybe play him at 3B a little or even stick him at 2B, move Freel to the OF and give some guys some days off.

We will trade him later, but no use in sitting him when he is hitting so well.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 06:38 PM   #2
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Well said. I can't believe how well Felipe Lopez has been playing this year.

Shipping Kearns down to AAA would make you think they would get less in trade value you for him wouldn't? The guy is a head case right now, he has been ever since he got hurt last year.

The pitching has been OK as of late, I think its time for Gullett to move on. The whole organization needs to be looked at in terms of pitching development, I can't remember the last time the Reds have developed a starting pitcher.

Bottom line is we still suck.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
Balldog
Pro Rookie

dola - I wander how much trade value there is for Griffey, he is hitting .281 with 11 HR and 43 RBI.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:47 PM   #4
korme
Go Reds

Though it is probably the smartest thing to trade Junior (leaving three starting OFers under 26), I doubt the Reds would ship him.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:58 PM   #5
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Though it is probably the smartest thing to trade Junior (leaving three starting OFers under 26), I doubt the Reds would ship him.

I think you meant to say "I doubt anyone would take him"
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:04 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

He's having a fine season. There is too much personal interest with Griffey and the Queen City to have him leave town. People still pull for him so hard.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Roy Oswalt

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:12 PM   #8
Easy Mac

That and his contract.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:53 PM   #9
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog
I can't remember the last time the Reds have developed a starting pitcher.

The last good starting pitcher the Reds developed was named Tom Browning. There has been the odd Tim Pugh and Jack Armstrong but Browning was the only one who was good.

Griffey will probably get traded if he stays healthy between now and July, Kearns is gone as well.

What I can't understand is that when Machado comes off the DL they are talking about puting him at SS and moving Lopez to 2B. I don't see where they are going to play Freel who I think needs to play every day.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:37 PM   #10
Balldog
Pro Rookie

If they get rid of Griffey and Kearns that opens a spot for Freel in the OF.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:47 PM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Kearns' numbers this year are almost identical to last year. I'm not so sure he's a grade A prospect anymore. He hasn't been above-average since his rookie year. And that was 2002.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-12-2005 at 09:47 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:52 AM   #12
Hammer755
High School Varsity

The fact that the Reds are willing to give Rich Aurilia regular playing time when they are 10 games under 0.500 says all that needs to be said about the organization.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:58 AM   #13
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I'm guessing they are playing him here for a while hoping he does well so they can get decent value for him at the deadline. Not that he has much value, but before he started playing well I doubt there is one team that would even entertain the thought of trading for him....they still might not.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:02 AM   #14
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Dan O Brien is a frigging idiot -rather than trade Casey when he had some value, put Dunn at first, and keep all 4 of his OF - he sends down one who has a chance for long term value. I'm sure some team will send him "veteran" pitching for Kearns, and such pitcher can spend time with Milton in the chiropracters office. What an idiotic organization.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:28 AM   #15
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

As much as I hate to say it, this team isn't close to competing and probably won't be for at least three years. That means we probably can't affor to keep Pena, Dunn, Casey, Griffey and Kearns. As much as it will suck I wouldn't be surprised to see all five of these guys traded. Of course O'Brien will trade them for high school pitchers who will develop arm problems and rack up 7+ eras for a year before being out of baseball.

God how I hate the Reds ownership/management.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:22 AM   #16
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Dan O Brien is a frigging idiot -rather than trade Casey when he had some value, put Dunn at first, and keep all 4 of his OF - he sends down one who has a chance for long term value. I'm sure some team will send him "veteran" pitching for Kearns, and such pitcher can spend time with Milton in the chiropracters office. What an idiotic organization.

The problem is that Casey doesn't have that much trade value. He was given a dumb contract by Jim Bowden. Most teams don't want to give 7 million to a 1B who doesn't hit for much power.

Honestly the Reds need to deal Dunn now before he bolts in free agency.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:34 PM   #17
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Its very bleak for the Reds. They don't have much to trade and a paper thin farm system.

Milton- We're stuck with this stiff
Wilson- Little value unless he shows more of last year soon
Ortiz- Little to moderate value
Harang- Probably best pitcher, but is he more than a #3 or 4 on a good team?
Casey- Little value due to big contract and lack of power
Kearns- Little value. Who will pay for a guy that was just demoted?
Griffey- Little value due to injury past
Dunn- Most valuable, but a ton of Ks will limit trading partners
Pena- Very good potential, but too inexperienced to land a good starter now
Randa- Could fetch a reliever, but what else?
Aurilia- Maybe a mid-range minor leaguer if that

They will have to build through the farm and that can't happen for years. I see firesale. Get your Reds and get em cheap!
Old 06-21-2005, 12:58 PM   #18
Ksyrup

Miley and Gullett fired.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-21-2005, 12:59 PM   #19
scooper
College Benchwarmer

No shocker there.

Someone told me three weeks ago they were going to set in motion a series of events to lure Pinella back for 06.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:00 PM   #20
Ksyrup

The Reds suck so bad, they control the Devil Rays, too?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:18 PM   #21
scooper
College Benchwarmer

No, but there's no secret that he's trying to get out of Tampa. Had I been given a twenty something million payroll after being promised much more, I'd try to get out as well.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:23 PM   #22
korme
Go Reds

THIS IS CAUSE FOR CELEBRATION
Old 06-21-2005, 09:45 PM   #23
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
Its very bleak for the Reds. They don't have much to trade and a paper thin farm system.

Milton- We're stuck with this stiff
Wilson- Little value unless he shows more of last year soon
Ortiz- Little to moderate value
Harang- Probably best pitcher, but is he more than a #3 or 4 on a good team?
Casey- Little value due to big contract and lack of power
Kearns- Little value. Who will pay for a guy that was just demoted?
Griffey- Little value due to injury past
Dunn- Most valuable, but a ton of Ks will limit trading partners
Pena- Very good potential, but too inexperienced to land a good starter now
Randa- Could fetch a reliever, but what else?
Aurilia- Maybe a mid-range minor leaguer if that

They will have to build through the farm and that can't happen for years. I see firesale. Get your Reds and get em cheap!

Umm, you're kidding- right ? Kearns has been damn good for two years and is 24 - Many, many teams will line around the block for him. Dunn, K's be damned, is one of the 5-10 best OF in baseball (future value, without a doubt). Pena is young, not-arb eligible, and good- no way you should trade him. Casey might fetch a mediocre contract come mid-season - this is his last year, correct ? Ortiz and Wilson are mediocre SP- but the Reds could do worse, and some idiot team will overpay for a "veteran" like Wilson.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:56 PM   #24
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Crap: No. Who is going to give us value for any of these players? And now that Wilson is sidelined after surgery and Ortiz is heading for 8 era we only have Harang as a pitcher someone might want.

Kearns used to have a lot of value and there will be plenty of takers, but no one will give a solid pitcher for him. He's injury prone and hasn't hit like he did his rookie year. I think when he gets traded he'll hit 300 with 30 hrs, but no one is going to pay the Reds that kind of money.

Dunn is our best player, but he'll strike out maybe 200 times. We can probably get a Harang like talent and a couple of prospects, but we can't get the No. 1 pitcher we need more than anything. Plus Dunn has made it clear he hates the management and is going to do whatever he can to get out which means we'll get less than market value.

Pena may be a 300 40 hr guy, but he's too young for a playoff team to grab him for the stretch run. He hasn't even played a full season as a starter.

We just don't have much to sell and the Reds have little to nothing in the farm system. We're going to suck for at least three years.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:03 PM   #25
korme
Go Reds

Well the only 4 players we should NOT trade are Pena, Lopez, Wagner and Harang.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:16 PM   #26
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
THIS IS CAUSE FOR CELEBRATION

The firings? They don't mean much, they aren't going to pay the money to get a decent manager anyway.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:44 PM   #27
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Well the only 4 players we should NOT trade are Pena, Lopez, Wagner and Harang.

If someone offers anything close to a good player I would trade Harang in a heart beat.

The Reds are shooting themselves in the foot because our GM refuses to trade with Atlanta who could use one of our guys.