Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Make a Concert that would rock your pathetic face off!

Ok, I'm willing to bet that everyone here has been to at least one good concert. I'm not talking about "Oh, yeah it was a good show". I'm talking about the show you went to where the last band had to do three encores and everyone is abuzz in the parking lot about how awesome the show was. Now, imagine making your own show that's 100 times better than that. A show so good that it could never possibly happen. There are 5 bands playing at their peak year, and you can throw chronology out of the window. You could say N.W.A., Elvis, Metallica, and Stevie Ray Vaughn opening for Mozart if you wanted to....wait..I think I may have just found mine Anyways, make a show so good that you wouldn't be able to sleep for a week before it.

Here's mine:

At The Drive-In-Man, what an awesome warm-up band they would be. It might suck to have to take the stage after them after they had rung everyone's bells, but this is my perfect show, and every band is at the top of their game!

Guns 'N' Roses-Slash shredding the shit out of his guitar and periodically swigging at a bottle of J.D., a non-fat Axl Rose jumping around the stage like a madman....Crazy groupies up front..Paradise City ripping through my soul!!..Yeahhhhh...

Nirvana-Say what you want about them...Being at Unplugged in NY would have been sweet...Actually, forget it..I want them plugged in..Or do I? This is hard. Ok, Unplugged-but they have to play an electric version of Aneurysm somewhere.

The Beatles-John. Paul. George. Ringo. In that order. Enough said.

Jimi Hendrix-Ok, Jimi would rip through the first hour of his set, playing a good part of gi-normous catalog, and then Stevie Ray Vaughn would fly in via helicopter and jam with Jimi for 2 more hours, culminating in Jimi lighting his guitar on fire, and SRV freebasing coke off of the flaming remnants!

Now you!

Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:05 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

1. Bars - Boston agressive rock to open it up.
2. Silent Drive - Boston again, a more true rock band with a lot of emotion in their music for a balance.
3. cKy - Best rock band around right now.
4. Guns n Roses Reunited - Would tear the roof down but nowhere near as good as the headliner..

HEADLINER

5. Faith No More - The best band ever in my opinion. Influenced so many bands. Great sound, all over the place. Amazing.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Assuming we could bring people back from the dead or reunite bands.....

Fifteen- to open, not sure which version of the band but maybe circa 1989 era.

ALL

Operation Ivy - some of you guys would know two of these guys as members of Rancid.

Descendents- Ok, these guys get double duty, since the whole band is the same as ALL with a different singer.

J Church- time for some more mello stuff

The Clash- have to have some 'classic' shit to wrap up my night.

Not very original IMO, but I would enjoy the hell out of it.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Haha you could put in Mr. Bungle and Fantomas in there, too...just make a whole mike patton show
Old 06-12-2005, 05:10 PM   #5
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
3. cKy - Best rock band around right now.

I don't get it, just not my style I guess. I hear them on Sirius a good amount and can't get through a whole song.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:11 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
I don't get it, just not my style I guess. I hear them on Sirius a good amount and can't get through a whole song.

Ha well I don't listen to much true rock so in my opinion they're the best rock band out. I'm basically into hardcore music and the like, but I do think cKy is damn good.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I feel I need to make one more for the hardcore in me so there.

1. The Hope Conspiracy - Boston again. Amazing live presence, would get things started the right way.

2. Bane - Probably the biggest hardcore band out right now, and again, from Boston. They'd tear the house down and we still have a ways to go.

3. American Nightmare - A reunion of Wes Eisold and co. and once again, waving the Boston flag. Wes and his one hand would go through everyones favorites, and I personally would be all over the stage during Farewell.

4. D.R.I - Nostalgia trip with the Texans and their 293728323 songs. D.R.I would appeal to the new and old alike and would definetly carry the hardcore banner they have raised.

5. Minor Threat - Ian MacKaye. Pretty much all anyone needs to hear and they know straight up this is hardcore on the East Coast.

6. Dead Kennedys - The DK's are to the West Coast hardcore scene as MT is to the East Coast. Everyone knows them.

7 (Headlining) The Bad Brains - Probably have released the best record ever in hardcore. Just as long as they know not to play any jah stuff, they will have the place going balls to the wall.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:19 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
Haha you could put in Mr. Bungle and Fantomas in there, too...just make a whole mike patton show

Ha add Tomahawk, the Dillinger Escape Plan (he recorded an EP as their singer) and about twenty other bands and you have a festival.

Patton rules.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:27 PM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

In order of apearance

1. Ani Difranco- Great soul, energy, and enthusiasm. An all around good time to kick things off.

2. Ben Folds Five circa 1994. Again, just a good old time.

3. Pantera- Time to get things crazy, just an insane live show. RIP Dimebag

4. Death Angel- If you have never heard of them they are now called The Organization. Great metal band leading up to.....

5. Dropkick Murphys. Gotta be in Boston for St Patricks Day. If you ever see one show in your life it has to be this. energy, punk rock, comradery and a kick ass time that you can not describe unless you have seen it for yourself ( right McSweeny)

Last edited by Lathum : 06-12-2005 at 05:29 PM.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:30 PM   #10
Recoil
High School Varsity

Props to the guys who put American Nightmare and Silent Drive on their lists. This would make my perfect punk/hardcore show.

HEADLINERS:
The Clash
Black Flag

OPENING BANDS:
At the Drive In
Converge
Lifetime
Against Me!
Every Time I Die
Grade
Choke
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:32 PM   #11
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I feel I need to make one more for the hardcore in me so there.

1. The Hope Conspiracy - Boston again. Amazing live presence, would get things started the right way.

2. Bane - Probably the biggest hardcore band out right now, and again, from Boston. They'd tear the house down and we still have a ways to go.

3. American Nightmare - A reunion of Wes Eisold and co. and once again, waving the Boston flag. Wes and his one hand would go through everyones favorites, and I personally would be all over the stage during Farewell.

4. D.R.I - Nostalgia trip with the Texans and their 293728323 songs. D.R.I would appeal to the new and old alike and would definetly carry the hardcore banner they have raised.

5. Minor Threat - Ian MacKaye. Pretty much all anyone needs to hear and they know straight up this is hardcore on the East Coast.

6. Dead Kennedys - The DK's are to the West Coast hardcore scene as MT is to the East Coast. Everyone knows them.

7 (Headlining) The Bad Brains - Probably have released the best record ever in hardcore. Just as long as they know not to play any jah stuff, they will have the place going balls to the wall.

Ok, I would enjoy this one. Mainly 4-7, so I will be a late arrival.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:43 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

5 bands/acts ... lemme see here

1) Frank Sinatra feat. The Rat Pack -- The whole lineup, Frank with Dean, Sammy & the gang.
2) Triumph - Canadian trio was always a treat live
3) Dio -- that evil looking little dwarf has awesome material to work from
4) Scorpions -- from the late 80's era. To this day, I've never seen another band more capable on-stage of reproducing their albums note for note. I mean that in a good way, they did nothing in the studio that they couldn't manage live (and a lot of bands can't say that). Heavy on the early career, up until they really got weird.
5) Iron Maiden -- something on the order of a full catalog set. Not a set pushing this album or that album, just do a chronological set of the best 3-4 from each album.

If, for some reason, any of these bands cannot fulfill their contractual obligation, others considered will include: Dokken, Ozzy (w/Randy), Rainbow, Skynard, Kentucky Headhunters (oddly, the best example of a real "band" I ever saw live, truly taking delight in every minute of their performance).
Old 06-12-2005, 05:43 PM   #13
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Ok, I would enjoy this one. Mainly 4-7, so I will be a late arrival.

Ha. It'd be the new vs the old for sure. I'd love it.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:44 PM   #14
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
5 bands/acts ... lemme see here

1) Frank Sinatra feat. The Rat Pack -- The whole lineup, Frank with Dean, Sammy & the gang.
2) Triumph - Canadian trio was always a treat live
3) Dio -- that evil looking little dwarf has awesome material to work from
4) Scorpions -- from the late 80's era. To this day, I've never seen another band more capable on-stage of reproducing their albums note for note. I mean that in a good way, they did nothing in the studio that they couldn't manage live (and a lot of bands can't say that). Heavy on the early career, up until they really got weird.
5) Iron Maiden -- something on the order of a full catalog set. Not a set pushing this album or that album, just do a chronological set of the best 3-4 from each album.

If, for some reason, any of these bands cannot fulfill their contractual obligation, others considered will include: Dokken, Ozzy (w/Randy), Rainbow, Skynard, Kentucky Headhunters (oddly, the best example of a real "band" I ever saw live, truly taking delight in every minute of their performance).

Best part is between Dio and the Scorpions you have the ugliest people ever but they can all still fucking rock.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:50 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Best part is between Dio and the Scorpions you have the ugliest people ever but they can all still fucking rock.

Actually, we'd have to add Dangerous Toys as a special guest to cover the Fugliest people on earth. But you ain't far wrong either.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:52 PM   #16
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Actually, we'd have to add Dangerous Toys as a special guest to cover the Fugliest people on earth. But you ain't far wrong either.

Ooh good call. I like it.

Looks like with that show we'd for sure not be seeing Man O' War
Old 06-12-2005, 06:00 PM   #17
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
( right McSweeny)

i dunno, i've only seen them what 15 or 16 times?

anyway

for my show

The Pogues
The Clash

2 hour sets each. That is all.
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 06:05 PM   #18
ice4277
Pro Rookie

1.) Hilary Duff
2.) S-Club 7
3.) Aaron Carter
4.) The Cranberries
5.) Gwar
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 06:06 PM   #19
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
1.) Hilary Duff
2.) S-Club 7
3.) Aaron Carter
4.) The Cranberries
5.) Gwar

You forgot SLAYER.

Someone would be yelling it. They do it at every concert ever. It's like a rule.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:52 PM   #20
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

hmm let's see....

opener: Dave Matthews Band - My fave band so they have to be on here but the concert as a whole has to end fuckin rocking out.
band #2: Led Zeppelin - Do I need to explain?
band #3: AC/DC - Never seen them live, would love too.
band #4: Rage Against the Machine - I was SUPPOSED to see them at Darien Lake w/the Beasties but numbnuts had to break his leg so the rest of the tour got cancelled then they broke up
closer: Bush - BEST... CONCERT... EVER... (mtv campus invasion was AMAZING)
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:13 PM   #21
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I'm only going off bands I've seen live.

Jurassic 5 - Start off with the only really good live rappers I've seen (although Nas was pretty good as well.)
Muse - Switch to rock. Saw them with a bad audio setup and where the crowd only knew 2 or 3 songs, and they were still awesome. Would love to see them with a crowd that knew them.
Incubus - Pretty much only their early stuff, get the even more crowd into it.
311 - My favorite live band. Can switch back and forth between the slower songs, giving the crowd a break, and up-tempo ones to keep them on their feet.

And to close - Dropkick Murphys. No band can top their energy, especially if it's around Boston. Unfortunately, they're better in a small club, so it'd have to be a small concert. Obviously, artists/bands like GnR/hendrix/Dave Matthews/Sublime would be up there, but going off those I've seen, that's my 5.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:33 PM   #22
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

BTW, best show I have ever been too (granted I have never been one for going to a bunch of shows for some reason, always livin' in bad locations for them usually) was a local show up in Laredo. I have no idea who the bands were, local obviously, but it was a damn good show. Most of it was hardcore, which I only like live really, and the one band had the best hardcore chick vocalist.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:33 PM   #23
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

1. Joy Divison
2. Smiths
3. Doors
... and repeat
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #24
Easy Mac

Creed
Jars of Clay
DC Talk
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:08 PM   #25
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
Death Angel- If you have never heard of them they are now called The Organization. Great metal band leading up to.....

As geeked as I am to see Death Angel mentioned here, I have to say...

WELCOME TO THE 21st CENTURY!

Death Angel is back together (all but one of them), and they released an album last year called The Art of Dying. They've done some US touring, mostly in Europe. The album kicks ass.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:40 PM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
As geeked as I am to see Death Angel mentioned here, I have to say...

WELCOME TO THE 21st CENTURY!

Death Angel is back together (all but one of them), and they released an album last year called The Art of Dying. They've done some US touring, mostly in Europe. The album kicks ass.
I saw that but I haven't heard any of the album. But the O was Death Angel minus one member so I think they probably changed their name for noteriety
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:32 PM   #27
Ksyrup

The Organization sounded nothing like DA. It was like adult contemporary heavy metal - it was OK, but nothing that fans of either extreme could get excited about. Then came Swarm, which I thought was better - a little more hardcore, but still good. The new DA doesn't exactly pick up where Act III ended, but it's got a few old-school thrash numbers, some hardcore influences, and overall, it's a great album. The last track, I bet, was a leftover from the Organization days.

You should definitely check it out.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-12-2005, 10:16 PM   #28
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

As you're about to see, I'm a big 70's classic/prog-rock nerd (with one minor exception):

1. Tenacious D - they're not of the 70's, but it is clear that they are inspired by the 70's.
2. Van Halen - David Lee Roth era.
3. Styx - They had quite a few fun, bombastic rock songs.
4. Queen - Their early stuff absolutely rocked.
5. Led Zeppelin - No comment necessary.
6. Yes - Ditto.
7. (Headliners) Rush - I want to make babies with Neil Peart. I hope he's secretly a woman so we can make that happen.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #29
Ksyrup

Fonzie, check out www.prestoballet.com.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from/seen Hurst2112 in the past couple of months? He mentioned something to me in a PM about traveling to work around the date of the Porcupine Tree/Deadwing release (April 26), and I haven't heard from him or seen him post here since.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:17 PM   #30
Pyser
Pro Rookie

goodness. you guys like the scary rock.

ill take the 'realistic' angle, and date the concert today...so no dead people.

1 - Snow Patrol: Probably my favorite "new" band today, even though they aren't really new. But a good opener, to me.
2 - The Dandy Warhols: Very laid back stoner rock, with a bit of shoegazing, and some crazy good pop songs thrown in. One hour time limit though, since they like to play for 3 hours.
3 - Spiritualized: Space rock at its grandest. It has to be dark out, though, or you lose their lighting rig.
4 - Green Day: I'm not a huge fan of theirs, but live, they just assault you with hit after hit of upbeat, fun songs.
5 - Ben Folds Five (the re-union): I'd probably cry if they every got back together and I was at the first show. Then I'd pass out and they'd pass my lifeless body forward until I reach the stage, and am taken away like those crazy Michael Jackson fans.
6 - Michael Jackson: I've never been, and I bet he'd be a kickass headliner.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:19 PM   #31
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

If we can raise the dead...

1. The Temptations (back with David, Eddie, Paul, Melvin & Otis)
2. James Marshall Hendrix (do I need to explain?)

Today, with living people:

3. The Funk Brothers (in a small bar, this would be as much fun as you could have!)
4. Maze featuring Frankie Beverly (they simply put on a great show. they sound even better live than on wax!)
Old 06-12-2005, 11:32 PM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
The Funk Brothers

Terry, Dory and Flash?
Old 06-12-2005, 11:42 PM   #33
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Someone listed Bush? Bush? Bush?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:44 PM   #34
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew

You obviously haven't seen them in a small dinky ass college gym with basically no seats (old farts sat in the bleachers with their kids) where there was 1 huge mosh pit in front of the stage while Gavin crowd surfed while playing guitar.

BEST... SHOW... EVER...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:49 PM   #35
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Fonzie, check out www.prestoballet.com.

Very cool. Thanks Ksryup!
Old 06-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #36
TLK
Pro Starter

1. Heart (the good stuff)
2. Our Lady Peace
3. The Bouncing Souls
4. Alkaline Trio
5. The Pixies
6. Led Zeppelin

I'm good after this
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:30 AM   #37
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
You obviously haven't seen them in a small dinky ass college gym with basically no seats (old farts sat in the bleachers with their kids) where there was 1 huge mosh pit in front of the stage while Gavin crowd surfed while playing guitar.

BEST... SHOW... EVER...

I saw them on the same tour in Mt. Pleasant with 4,000 people in a hot, sweaty Rose Arena. It was a pretty damn good time.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:55 AM   #38
Raiders Army
Coordinator

1. Van Halen (with David Lee Roth, 1984)
2. Aerosmith (circa 1987, Permanent Vacation)
2. AC/DC (circa 1990, The Razor's Edge)
3. Metallica (circa 1988, ...And Justice For All)
4. Motley Crue (circa 1987, Girls, Girls, Girls)
5. Def Leppard (circa 1988, Hysteria)
6. Guns'n'Roses (circa 1987, Appetite for Destruction)
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:57 AM   #39
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Dola, I'd have Rikki Rachtman strung up for all the ass kissing he did on Headbanger's Ball.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:54 AM   #40
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
5. Def Leppard (circa 1988, Hysteria)

*peers over bifocals at RA*

Hysteria? Over Pyromania-era Def Leppard?

Interesting. Very interesting.

*jots something down in notebook*

Now, tell me about your mother...

Old 06-13-2005, 09:23 AM   #41
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
*peers over bifocals at RA*

Hysteria? Over Pyromania-era Def Leppard?

Interesting. Very interesting.

*jots something down in notebook*

Now, tell me about your mother...

Well, if they play in concert, the Hysteria Def Leppard also includes Pyromania.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:32 AM   #42
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew

Jeb opens

then George H.W.

then George W. to close...

special guest M.C. would be Barbara.

(rumors of the Bush twins being drunk, on the shoulders of guys, and flashing people would have to be covered up though.)
Old 06-13-2005, 07:48 PM   #43
Buccaneer
Head Coach

A 4-hour Pink Floyd concert with Queen opening.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:19 PM   #44
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Camper Van Beethoven
Counting Crows
- intermission -
The Charlatans
Radiohead
- intermission -
The Beatles
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:04 PM   #45
Silver Owl
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I've never been to a concert, but I like this one.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:14 PM   #46
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
With special guest David Bowie?
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #47
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
goodness. you guys like the scary rock.

6 - Michael Jackson: I've never been, and I bet he'd be a kickass headliner.
I thought the OP said a concert that rock your pathetic face off, not little boys' pants off.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #48
Rasmuth
n00b

1) Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Circa 1984
2) U2- circa 1983...before the decline starting with Joshua tree
3) The Band
4) The Who - from the Live at Leeds era

and Headlining (please pay attention)

The Rolling Stones - from 1969 with Mick Taylor...the Stones were a scathing Blues band...by far the best era for them in regards to live shows.
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:18 PM   #49
Bad-example
College Starter

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Led Zeppelin
The Doors
The Beatles
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:01 PM   #50
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
With special guest David Bowie?

That would be the encore/finale. "Under Pressure" with Brian May and David Gilmour jamming. That would be a buzz that could last for weeks.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote