Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

2005 MLB Draft Thread

Not a big deal for a lot of people but I am a fan of it even it takes forever to see results.

Justin Upton going #1 is no surprise. Seriously, is their any family as talented as this one seems to be? BJ looked good when he was up with Tampa, and they say his little bro is even better. Should be fun to see how it plays out, with them on opposite coasts.

My Tigs got the HS OF Cameron Maybin. I am not a big fan of high school players given our track record but with a new scouting staff in place I am optimistic he'll pan out. Scouts say he reminds them of a young Griffey Jr. Big time comparison, but hey, I'll take it.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola.

A small write up on Maybin for the Tigers fans on here..

CAMERON MAYBIN

OF, T.C. Roberson (N.C.) H.S., 6-3, 200

One of best all-around talents in draft has been most often compared to young Ken Griffey Jr. Two-time state player of year has tremendous bat speed and generates excellent power, and is a threat on the bases. Outstanding defensive center fielder doesn't let many balls drop in.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:25 PM   #3
digamma
Torchbearer

I'm closely watching to see how far down Austin Jackson drops. With each successive round that passes, the chances he starts at point guard for the Yellow Jackets next winter increases.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:28 PM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

Florida (for Armando Benitez), Ryan Tucker, rhp, Temple City HS, Calif.

Kid went to my old HS
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
korme
Go Reds

Yay, Outfield City takes another fucking OFer. The Reds only get outfielders. We need like 100 other things, but we always get outfielders. Ugh.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Interesting that 8 of the top 9 (by my quick count) were college players.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Yay, Outfield City takes another fucking OFer. The Reds only get outfielders. We need like 100 other things, but we always get outfielders. Ugh.

I guess that didn't end when Bowden left, huh?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Interesting that 8 of the top 9 (by my quick count) were college players.

Yeah I noticed that too. Only two in the top 10 (Upton and Maybin) were High Schoolers, though the next three after Maybin were also High Schoolers.

Still, it's good to see more college guys go in the top 10.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:40 PM   #9
Ksyrup

But no one in the majors thinks much of Billy Beane...
Old 06-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #10
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
But no one in the majors thinks much of Billy Beane...

I liked Moneyball and I agreed with a lot of his theories. He's got a proven track record as far as accumulating talent. How he manages it in games is a different story, but you can't argue with how he gets it.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #11
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

They've taken 5 pitchers since.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:51 PM   #12
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Dola.

A small write up on Maybin for the Tigers fans on here..

CAMERON MAYBIN

OF, T.C. Roberson (N.C.) H.S., 6-3, 200

One of best all-around talents in draft has been most often compared to young Ken Griffey Jr. Two-time state player of year has tremendous bat speed and generates excellent power, and is a threat on the bases. Outstanding defensive center fielder doesn't let many balls drop in.

What's his contact rating?
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #13
Logan
Head Coach

Can anyone give me any information on the Mets pick, RHP Mike Pelfrey out of Wichita State?

All I know is that he is 6'7", and was thought to be one of the players Arizona was thinking of taking with the #1 pick.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:10 PM   #14
digamma
Torchbearer

I think Pelfrey dropped because Boras is his adviser. He and Hochaven(sp?) from Tennessee were thought to be the best two pitchers in the draft and top five type picks. Both are advised by Boras. Pelfrey fell to 9 and the Tennessee kid fell to the Dodgers at 40.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:23 PM   #15
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
I'm closely watching to see how far down Austin Jackson drops. With each successive round that passes, the chances he starts at point guard for the Yellow Jackets next winter increases.

Damn. The Yankees take him in Round 8. They are the one team who might be willing to put up enough money to keep Jackson from playing hoops all together.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:29 PM   #16
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Is there a site I can geek out at and see who the Reds & Cubs took? Look at little write-ups, perhaps see where they were projected at going?
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #17
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Shorty: The outfielder may be a good pick. He was a top ten prospect according to Baseball America. Its hard to turn that down no matter what position. Since he's a high schooler he probably won't play for four years and who knows what the Reds will look like then.

I'd be more worried that the pitchers they took in rounds 2-3 have both been cited as haiving injury-prone deliveries. For a team that seems to have arm injuries for every single minor-league pitcher picking high schoolers with flawed deliveries seems questionable at best.

BTW- I read that the Texas HS where this outfielder came from has five outfielders that are MLB prospects. That's a hell of a high school team!
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #18
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Damn Mike Brown: For the Reds check www.redreporter.com. Its a nice Reds blog.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:48 PM   #19
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

Hey, the MLB draft isn't really about NEEDS. It's about talent.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:58 PM   #20
korme
Go Reds

But the Reds will always and forever need pitching
Old 06-07-2005, 06:58 PM   #21
korme
Go Reds

Yay Ramon Ortiz! Woo! What a performance today.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:08 PM   #22
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Thats because by the time the kid is ready the outfield won't be so crowded.

Some people say the kid they drafted today was the best OF prospect available and the Reds drafted 5 straight pitchers after him so there is some hope.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:41 PM   #23
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm kind of excited that Pirates actually took someone with some upside in OF Andrew McCutchen, a high schooler from Florida. It seems like the last few years, they have taken low-risk/low-reward guys, including a guy projected (at the time) to be a #3 SP, in Bryan Bullington, first overall a few seasons ago.

McCutchen may flame out, but at least he seems to have star potential.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:07 PM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I'm kind of excited that Pirates actually took someone with some upside in OF Andrew McCutchen, a high schooler from Florida. It seems like the last few years, they have taken low-risk/low-reward guys, including a guy projected (at the time) to be a #3 SP, in Bryan Bullington, first overall a few seasons ago.

McCutchen may flame out, but at least he seems to have star potential.

I bet they dont sign him either. They'd rather spend money on Benito Santiago and other lame ass roster filler than invest in any sort of prospects for the future.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:50 PM   #25
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I think Pelfrey dropped because Boras is his adviser. He and Hochaven(sp?) from Tennessee were thought to be the best two pitchers in the draft and top five type picks. Both are advised by Boras. Pelfrey fell to 9 and the Tennessee kid fell to the Dodgers at 40.

This is actually the second time the Dodgers have drafted Hochevan. They took him out of high school, and he apparently didn't sign then, choosing instead to go to Tennessee. I'm curious to know what round they took him in and whether Boras was his agent then, or what. I can't see how he could be - how would he have maintained college eligibility? - but it's still a bit of a concern for me.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:52 PM   #26
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
This is actually the second time the Dodgers have drafted Hochevan. They took him out of high school, and he apparently didn't sign then, choosing instead to go to Tennessee. I'm curious to know what round they took him in and whether Boras was his agent then, or what. I can't see how he could be - how would he have maintained college eligibility? - but it's still a bit of a concern for me.

High school players and college juniors are allowed to have "advisors" and maintain eligibility.

This time he was the 40th pick overall. I'm not sure if that puts him at the top of the second round or in the compensation portion of the first round.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:56 PM   #27
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Damn. The Yankees take him in Round 8. They are the one team who might be willing to put up enough money to keep Jackson from playing hoops all together.
Are the Yankees planning a move to the NBA? Their first-round pick is committed to Kansas to play basketball. I heard Bill Self on the radio and he said exactly what you said: "I'm sure George Steinbrenner will pay him enough money to keep him from playing basketball for us."
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #28
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Are the Yankees planning a move to the NBA? Their first-round pick is committed to Kansas to play basketball. I heard Bill Self on the radio and he said exactly what you said: "I'm sure George Steinbrenner will pay him enough money to keep him from playing basketball for us."

C.J. Henry is from OKC. He'll go to the Yankees. He told Kansas that his going there was dependent on him not being drafted in the first three rounds. After most figured him as a 1st rounder, Self knew he wasn't going to get him.

I haven't seen him play, but from what I hear, he's really a top talent.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:59 PM   #29
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
I bet they dont sign him either. They'd rather spend money on Benito Santiago and other lame ass roster filler than invest in any sort of prospects for the future.

Quit being so sandy.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:05 PM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Quit being so sandy.

2 words......

Mark Merchant.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:06 PM   #31
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
2 words......

Mark Merchant.

Come on dude. That was when you were like 12.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:08 PM   #32
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
I liked Moneyball and I agreed with a lot of his theories. He's got a proven track record as far as accumulating talent. How he manages it in games is a different story, but you can't argue with how he gets it.

Moneyball has nothing on Terry Ryan.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:32 PM   #33
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
High school players and college juniors are allowed to have "advisors" and maintain eligibility.

This time he was the 40th pick overall. I'm not sure if that puts him at the top of the second round or in the compensation portion of the first round.

Compensation. The Dodgers held that pick as well as the Mariners' 2nd round selection as compensation for losing Adrian Beltre via free agency.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:46 PM   #34
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Shocking News (not really): The Astros took Clemens' son Koby, a local HS'er here in Houston, in the 8th round. He's committed to UT, so it should be interesting to see what he does. I can't see him passing up a chance to be a Longhorn, particularly since the team probably can't throw enough money at him to influence his decision.

On the docket for next year? Doug Drabek's son Kyle pitches out in one of the burbs and is said to throw 90+ already.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 06-08-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #35
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Just for what it's worth, when the Dodgers drafted him in 2002, he was their 39th round selection. They didn't get him signed, and this time he was the 40th overall selection as a compensation pick for losing Adrian Beltre. Way to go, guys.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:20 PM   #36
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755
Shocking News (not really): The Astros took Clemens' son Koby, a local HS'er here in Houston, in the 8th round. He's committed to UT, so it should be interesting to see what he does. I can't see him passing up a chance to be a Longhorn, particularly since the team probably can't throw enough money at him to influence his decision.

I read elsewhere that Roger and Koby sounded ecstatic on the radio when talking about the Astros selecting him, so I'm thinking there's a decent chance that he signs...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:41 PM   #37
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755
On the docket for next year? Doug Drabek's son Kyle pitches out in one of the burbs and is said to throw 90+ already.

Any word on Greg Swindell and if he has a son to compliment Drabek's son

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #38
JeeberD
General Manager

*shudder*

That off-season rivals this past one as worst in Astros history...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:58 PM   #39
Blackadar
Retired

Not sure how the Red Sox did, but they had an assload of picks - 6 in the top 57. That'll beef up an already decent farm system.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #40
digamma
Torchbearer

Damn Yankees.
From sportsline...
Yellow Jackets coach Paul Hewitt, a lifelong, diehard Yankees fan who grew up in New York, will lose incoming freshman Austin Jackson to baseball, according to several sources close to the situation.

Jackson, a 6-foot-1 point guard/center fielder from Denton (Texas) Ryan High, was drafted by the Yankees in the eighth round with the 259th overall pick -- but was offered a deal in the $1 million range, which is money that late first and second-round picks generally command. It was believed that Jackson would have a chance to play minor-league baseball and college basketball, but according to sources, the Yankees, who have a depleted farm system, didn't give Jackson the option of playing both sports.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:15 AM   #41
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Damn Yankees.
From sportsline...
Yellow Jackets coach Paul Hewitt, a lifelong, diehard Yankees fan who grew up in New York, will lose incoming freshman Austin Jackson to baseball, according to several sources close to the situation.

Jackson, a 6-foot-1 point guard/center fielder from Denton (Texas) Ryan High, was drafted by the Yankees in the eighth round with the 259th overall pick -- but was offered a deal in the $1 million range, which is money that late first and second-round picks generally command. It was believed that Jackson would have a chance to play minor-league baseball and college basketball, but according to sources, the Yankees, who have a depleted farm system, didn't give Jackson the option of playing both sports.

As a Michigan fan I know your pain.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:16 AM   #42
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Or Kansas as they drafted one of our basketball recruits in the first round.

SI

Old 06-09-2005, 11:18 AM   #43
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Or Kansas as they drafted one of our basketball recruits in the first round.

SI

Go Yankees!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:20 AM   #44
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Go Yankees!

Pssh. I still like them a whole lot more then Boston, but f their drafting.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:07 PM   #45
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Not sure how the Red Sox did, but they had an assload of picks - 6 in the top 57. That'll beef up an already decent farm system.

Losing a lot of type A free agents helps.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:24 PM   #46
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Losing a lot of type A free agents helps.

And Hansen, from what I've heard and seen in some brief looks at St. John's games, could be in the Bosox pen come September.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:28 PM   #47
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
And Hansen, from what I've heard and seen in some brief looks at St. John's games, could be in the Bosox pen come September.

I thought drafted players couldn't play until the next year. Tho I could have just been making that up in my head somewhere.

SI

Old 06-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #48
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Hansen was rumored to go #1 overall at some point. It seems likely that he could make the jump to the majors this year.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:00 PM   #49
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I thought drafted players couldn't play until the next year. Tho I could have just been making that up in my head somewhere.

SI

Nope Ryan Wagner was pitching for the Reds the same season he was drafted.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:32 PM   #50
RailsFS
Mascot

Prior was too, I believe.
RailsFS is offline   Reply With Quote