Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
SackAttack
Head Coach

Baseball draft question

While trying to see where the Diamondbacks drafted last season - there's talk they may take Justin Upton, and I was curious where they took Stephen Drew last year - I came across an article that explained how teams are compensated when they lose different types of free agents.

What struck me was the "Type A" free agents, which bring the team losing them a supplemental first round draft choice, and the signing team's first round draft choice (unless that choice is in the top 16 selections, in which case it becomes that team's second round draft choice).

What I'm curious to know is, what happens if a team - let's say, the Yankees - sign two Type A free agents in the same offseason? Does anybody know?

Last edited by SackAttack : 06-06-2005 at 06:12 PM.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:23 PM   #2
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
While trying to see where the Diamondbacks drafted last season - there's talk they may take Justin Upton, and I was curious where they took Stephen Drew last year - I came across an article that explained how teams are compensated when they lose different types of free agents.

What struck me was the "Type A" free agents, which bring the team losing them a supplemental first round draft choice, and the signing team's first round draft choice (unless that choice is in the top 16 selections, in which case it becomes that team's second round draft choice).

What I'm curious to know is, what happens if a team - let's say, the Yankees - sign two Type A free agents in the same offseason? Does anybody know?

It depends on which of the FAs has a higher grade. The team that lost him would receive the higher pick. In the case of the Mets, I believe the Red Sox have the Mets 2nd rounder, and the Astros get the 3rd rounder from NY. It could be the other round because I don't remember which had a higher compensation grade.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:42 PM   #3
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I remember when the Reds signed Damon Berryhill they lost a first round pick. Type A free agent my ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
It depends on which of the FAs has a higher grade. The team that lost him would receive the higher pick. In the case of the Mets, I believe the Red Sox have the Mets 2nd rounder, and the Astros get the 3rd rounder from NY. It could be the other round because I don't remember which had a higher compensation grade.

I think the second team gets a sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd round. Not a 3rd round pick.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729
I remember when the Reds signed Damon Berryhill they lost a first round pick. Type A free agent my ass.

I think the second team gets a sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd round. Not a 3rd round pick.

The 2nd team gets a sandwich pick and a 3rd rounder, or a 2nd rounder if the team was real good. If a team loses a type A free agent, they get 2 picks, as long as they offered arbitration. One pick comes from the team who signed him, and the other pick is a sandwich pick between rounds 1 and 2. It's as simple as that.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote