Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
Adamski47
High School JV

New Car (Eclipse, Mustang, Tiburon, Celica

I'm looking to get a brand new spankin' car. I think the '06 Eclipse is in the lead as Mitsubishi offers a nice finance/lease combo and gives a discount to recent college grads.

Thoughts? I, for the first time in a long time, like the new Mustang a lot. The Tiburon and Celica are outside shots but I liked them when I was browsing last night.

Anytime between now and Aug probably!

Adamski47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I had a 2000 Eclipse, while they're nice, unless they've change the chassis, I wouldn't get it. The problem is that the chassis is the same that Mitsu used on the Diamante, which obviously wasn't a sports car. Because of this, turning at high speeds makes you feel like you're about to flip or somthing. I've since got an Accord and turning and handling is much better.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:52 PM   #3
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Is this a car you will drive only for select months? (Like March - November).

If not, and you are in Michigan, I would stay away from a Mustang. (Especially a 8 cyl...) Mustangs in bad weather don't mix. If it is a hill with anything more than a 2 degree grade, you're screwed..

Ok.. somewhat of an exagerration but, they do suck in bad weather.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:53 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

We're getting a Mustang convertible when we go on vacation at the end of July, so I can let you know what I think of it then (assuming we don't get the second choice when that one is unavailable). My mom didn't like it too much, though, when they rented one. But I'd want to hear that from my dad before I put any real credence into it.

The others, I've never owned or driven, although a friend has an Eclipse convertible that I've ridden in and he seems to like it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-06-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
Adamski47
High School JV

I'm moving to the northern 'burbs of CHI. So, even colder!
Old 06-06-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
Adamski47
High School JV

Yeah, I'm not a crazy driver or anything and probably wouldn't notice the tipping feeling much since I've been driving a Ranger for 5 years (which LITERALLY shifts when you hit a bump on a curve). Scared the shit out of me the first few times...I literally grabbed the wheel as hard as I could and was sweating LOL.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #7
st.cronin
General Manager

America's love affair with the mustang is the most bizarre, inexplicable thing ever. It's a terrible, terrible car.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:29 PM   #8
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
America's love affair with the mustang is the most bizarre, inexplicable thing ever. It's a terrible, terrible car.

Why so?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:38 PM   #9
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
Why so?

It's reliability record is appalling. It's resale value, unless it's in classic condition, is very poor. Unless you have to have a little pony on your car, there's no reason not to buy an eclipse or a miata or even a sebring.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:27 PM   #10
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'd get an Eclipse. They look more like the 2nd Gen Eclipses and not quite so horrible. The RX-8 is a nice car as well.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:28 PM   #11
wade moore
lolzcat

Celica: I bought a 2003 Celica brand new in November of 2002 and I love it, it has served me well. I bought a GT with basically every featured and got out of there just over $20k. I have ridden the thing into the ground. In that span (about 30 months) I have put about 86,000 miles on it because I drive 85 miles round trip every day - mostly at around 70 MPH. It has held up AMAZINGLY well and the only repairs I've had to have was a recall on the gas tank. Besides that, just normal maintenance.

It is a great ride. I have bad news and the low ride with my legs stretched does them very well. I have many compliments on the comfort of the seats and the looks of the car. There is a surprisingly large amount of cargo space, particularly if you fold the seats down (i have carried a lot of stuff for fixing up my fixer-upper house in it).

Only negatives are really negatives with all of those: little back seat room and bad blind spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:28 PM   #12
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Oh, and I wouldn't lease it if you can help it...even though the monthly payments may be higher, at least you have something at the end of it. Also, depending on how much you drive, you won't have to worry about mileage (which adds up quickly after you've gone over).
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:47 PM   #13
sabotai
General Manager

I can state with 1st hand knowledge that a Mustang can not handle in virtually any kind of weather condition other than sunny and dry.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:50 PM   #14
Adamski47
High School JV

Thanks for all of the help so far!
Old 06-07-2005, 08:23 AM   #15
Huckleberry
College Starter

I can think of a good reason not to buy a Miata.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:40 PM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Tomorrow I'm going to the Mitsubishi dealership and seeing if I can order one of these. I'll be trading in my 2004 Dodge SRT-4, which I love.. and I'll miss the 240hp as the GS Eclipse only has 140 (the GT has 263 but it's a tad too much $$$ for me). BUT, I LOVE the looks of this car, in fact this is the color I'm going to get, along with the 650-watt Rockford Fosgate stereo system.

The lastest review I read gave the system a perfect 10 and said it's the best stock stereo system they've tested. I've also read the car is quite fun to drive as well.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 06-16-2005 at 11:42 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote