Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-04-2005, 10:36 AM   #1
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Say what you will about Madden '06, This sold me.

From Madden Nation.com.. WOW.

MN's look at Superstar Mode

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Madden NFL 06: Superstar Mode

Very few people know what it’s like to live the life of an elite NFL player. From waiting for your name to be called on draft day to making Pro Bowls and winning championships, only a select group of athletes experience what it’s like to fill those shoes. But this year EA Sports and Madden NFL 06 will give you a glimpse of all that comes with being an NFL big shot in a new game play mode called NFL Superstar. Combining Madden game play and certain RPG elements, Superstar mode may be the most revolutionary feature put in to Madden in a long time.

Superstar mode allows you to import your Race to the Heisman player from NCAA, your NFL Street 2 created player, or create a player from scratch where you actually select two parents with different characteristics in order to build your player’s personality profile. Much like NCAA 2006’s Race For The Heisman, Superstar mode focuses in on one specific player and begins by dropping you right into game play. You begin with a critical situation at a college All Star game. How you perform during that important play may affect certain elements of your NFL future. After you complete the brief All Star game intro, you must then fill out an NFL combine registration form, take the Wonderlic test, and hire an agent. Based on your performance thus far you will get a projected round in the NFL draft and will then be drafted with this year’s current class with guys like Alex Smith & Braylon Edwards. You then get set up in your new home which starts out pretty modest and becomes much nicer as your career progresses (if you’re not a draft bust that is).

Getting Around

Now that you’re in the NFL you will have a lot of responsibilities that can be handled in the following group of intricate menus:

Communication Device: Think Blackberry. Your communication device is one of your means of getting in touch with the important people in your life. You will be able to maintain email contact with your agent, coach, mentor, and a handful of other people in order to stay up to date with what’s going on.

Schedule: This is a calendar with an itinerary of various important events. Games, practices, etc. will be kept track of in this menu.

My Web: This is your official fan site where you can look at all of your accolades and accomplishments and track your career for up to 20 years if you end up being a Darrell Green or Jerry Rice type.

World Map: The world map is a mini virtual version of the actual city you play in. There are a number of locales you can visit such as the barber shop, tattoo parlor, and your agent’s office.

Agent’s Office: Your NFL agent is a big part of getting you whatever it is you want out of your career. You can demand a trade, complain about coaches, and just about anything else that you can bicker to an agent about can be done here.

Events & Responsibilities

NFL players have a lot of different responsibilities that take up their time. Here are a few things you’ll be able to do in Super Star Mode:

Interviews: Press conferences & interviews are nothing new to NFL players. You’ll choose from a list of answers and how you respond will affect how you are viewed by fans and treated by the media. You can become a media sweetheart like Donovan McNabb or the next big controversy like TO.

Movie Roles: One option for advancing your career is taking roles in various films. Your agent will pitch you a role and you have to decide whether or not it’s the right flick to elevate you to iconic status. You must then memorize a script and perform in each scene without making mistakes.

The Madden Bowl: You can enter the Madden Bowl tournament that takes place at the Super Bowl each year and show other top players how to work the sticks. You will play actual games of Madden in order to advance from round to round.

Madden Cover Athlete Selection: Only the best of the best are offered the opportunity to be on the cover of Madden. If made an offer will you accept the honor or shy away from fear of the curse?

What Else Is Involved?

Now you know how to get around, but how exactly does all of this play together? By now you’ve got the idea that your goal is to become a successful NFL player with a solid reputation. You have to play well, say the right things, and make a number of career choices that will determine your status. Each Superstar Mode player will have a player persona that will depend on where they are in their career. You can be a draft bust, a has been or hack, media darling, or you can develop into one of the all time greats. It’s up to you.

Aside from all of the extra curricular activities and menus is the actual game play. You will play the games on your schedule in the same manner your normally would by controlling all of the players, so it’s not a situation where you are only able to use your Superstar and nobody else. What you don’t have control of is the coaches and team management. If you’re a wide receiver you could very well end up on a team that refuses to give you a decent quarterback and keeps drafting bonehead players from year to year. These are the type of real life situations that NFL players deal with all the time. We are often quick to criticize and say a player should do this or that, so now it’s your chance to make the call. Will you live up to your potential? Make nice with your team and the media? Or will you become the next team cancer? Come August the choice is yours.

FUCK EA

Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
AlexB
Pro Starter

Was thinking it was very gimmicky, until the last paragraph - this does sound cool. I had vowed to never buy another Madden game, but I can see myself weakening again!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
Was thinking it was very gimmicky, until the last paragraph - this does sound cool. I had vowed to never buy another Madden game, but I can see myself weakening again!

I had skipped over much of the original post after deciding that this didn't really interest me, and hadn't read through the last paragraph until I saw your reply. That does sound very interesting. I'm probably going to end up with Madden '06 anyway (passed on last year's version), and at the very least, this sounds like another good way to enjoy a dynasty (I get bored with mine after about 3-5 years of playing, or 15-20 years of simming).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

Hm. I would have liked it if they gave you the option of only playing as yourself (and maybe taking full control of the other side of the ball). Being a WR and having to run all my routes well would have been appealing.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
Calis
College Starter

You should definitely only control your player.

This way you're just playing a franchise where you have no control over your team. That doesn't sound overly appealing to me.

They actually had me sold until that last paragraph.

It's a start though, maybe next year.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols
Movie Roles: One option for advancing your career is taking roles in various films. Your agent will pitch you a role and you have to decide whether or not it’s the right flick to elevate you to iconic status. You must then memorize a script and perform in each scene without making mistakes.

Good thing they spent a lot of time on stuff like this and not, you know, gameplay.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:25 AM   #7
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
You should definitely only control your player.

This way you're just playing a franchise where you have no control over your team. That doesn't sound overly appealing to me.

They actually had me sold until that last paragraph.

It's a start though, maybe next year.

Depends on how it's set up, but if it's random and you can only control your own player, if you ended up being a guard or punter wouldn't be much fun!

I like the loss of control, as it's too easy to build a great team - at least this way you could well get an ongoing challenge.

And if you want to keep control of the franchise, I'm sure the standard option will still be there as well. Everyone's a winner

(Oh my god - have I just defended an EA Sports game? I need a drink)
Old 06-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #8
DanGarion
Coordinator

But in madden you could "only" play your player if you want. As long as you are a defensive player or a WR,TE,RB,QB you CAN play only yourself you just select that player when you hit the line of scrimmage and then don't hit the switch player button while making your plays.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:32 AM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
But in madden you could "only" play your player if you want. As long as you are a defensive player or a WR,TE,RB,QB you CAN play only yourself you just select that player when you hit the line of scrimmage and then don't hit the switch player button while making your plays.

Well for defense I know you can do this, but I didn't know you could for offense. It always automatically switches to who has the ball.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:33 AM   #10
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Depends on how it's set up, but if it's random and you can only control your own player, if you ended up being a guard or punter wouldn't be much fun!

I like the loss of control, as it's too easy to build a great team - at least this way you could well get an ongoing challenge.

And if you want to keep control of the franchise, I'm sure the standard option will still be there as well. Everyone's a winner

(Oh my god - have I just defended an EA Sports game? I need a drink)

Heh, fair enough. I'd be very shocked if you can't pick what position your player is. I don't see them doing this.

I just wish there was an option to only play your player. The loss of control effect would be a lot more predominant then. I've always been a fan of player locking though, if the AI is worth a damn...we're talking about Madden though, so maybe it's best that you do control everything.

I dunno, if I'm playing the whole team I don't think the attachment to "my" player will be that much, even with the other crap tossed in.

Who knows though, have to see how it does. These "gimmick" ideas do not have a very good history though, so I'm not getting excited.

Dangarion- Didn't know that, that'll work fine then. I barely played last year's Madden to be quite honest, as I was playing ESPN like crazy. If that's the case then that'll work perfect.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:34 AM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Good thing they spent a lot of time on stuff like this and not, you know, gameplay.

I agree. These modes don't appeal to me one bit. I just want a football game that's fun to play and has believeable gameplay.

I really wish/hope Jim has a FOF 2006 in store for us.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:35 AM   #12
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Well for defense I know you can do this, but I didn't know you could for offense. It always automatically switches to who has the ball.

I could of swore it only does that if you have the QB. Well you could control your player and the second it switches to the guy that has the ball just not use the controller .
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:52 AM   #13
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think I will probably be a Quarterback or Corner or Middle Linebacker anyway, so I will pretty much be controlling just my player.. I always used to play madden as the QB when me and my friend did our "2 players on the same team" franchises.. He was RB.. I would throw the ball, and if it wasnt him that wound up catching it, we just both let the play finish itself..

Maybe you cant run your own routes as a WR, but really, truly, it would be VERY hard to run correct routes in a game that relies so much on timing and proper positioning. Maybe its kind of unrealistic to expect to be able to do that.. but to solve the playing as only yourself problem, you can, if you just hike the ball and let the play happen, only taking control when your player gets the ball. Running Back, Quarterback, and any defensive position would be easy to do this with.. so the only real position you miss out on is WR or TE. Its not that big of a loss in my opinion. In fact, I think its better this way. Being a WR would be really tough running your own routes.

Thats my 2 cents on the playing only as yourself argument.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

For what it is worth, multiple Madden previews have suggested they have changed the gameplay significantly. Most notably, not all QB's are accurate now. Actually, the early previews (on incomplete builds) suggest that QB's are too inaccurate now. Hopefully, they might find a realistic balance before the game is released. Also, the running game sounds like it will be more revamped with bigger backs actually having more of an advantage than they have in the past where speed ruled.

As far as this game mode, I find the idea of having only control of my player and no GM choices quite interesting.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:03 PM   #15
Schmidty
Coordinator

I think this sounds very, very interesting. It could be fun, or extremely stupid.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:07 PM   #16
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Hm. I would have liked it if they gave you the option of only playing as yourself (and maybe taking full control of the other side of the ball). Being a WR and having to run all my routes well would have been appealing.

Ditto. I was considering buying this game until I read that. I'm not bothering now.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:58 PM   #17
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277

Because competition is gonna bite them in the ass if they don't, right?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:04 PM   #18
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
Ditto. I was considering buying this game until I read that. I'm not bothering now.

You know that this is just *one feature*, right?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:07 PM   #19
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
You know that this is just *one feature*, right?

I wasn't getting it in the first place. Let me try to explain more completely: I was considering buying when I read the post about this added feature, but after reading that last paragraph I'm no longer interested.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:19 PM   #20
GroundCat
Banned

Say what you will about flaws, but Madden is still the best NFL game ever created.
GroundCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #21
GroundCat
Banned

...and EA's NCAA is the greatest football game ever created
Old 06-04-2005, 05:51 PM   #22
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundCat
...and EA's NCAA is the greatest football game ever created

I've never played NCAA but have heard that it is better than Madden - is there a major difference?
Old 06-04-2005, 06:14 PM   #23
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've never played NCAA but have heard that it is better than Madden - is there a major difference?

The gameplay emulates the college system, so you have the option, etc. Also, I prefer the challenge of recruiting to the Free Agent System. However, if you were going to pick up an NCAA game before 2006 comes out, I would recommend 2004 over 2005. The gameplay in 2004 is better IMHO as 2005 has several flaws (such as too many dropped passes, ROBO CB's, etc.)
Old 06-04-2005, 07:41 PM   #24
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I actually tried last year's college football game and only completed like 20% of my passes in a full game (online opponent got like 15%). It's like, "FUCK THIS!" and I returned it to the video store.

EA-free since 2002...but it may sadly end when the new Burnout is released.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 07:41 PM   #25
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundCat
Say what you will about flaws, but Madden is still the best NFL game ever created.

Is this a joke?
Old 06-04-2005, 07:47 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Is this a joke?

One could reasonably argue that Madden is the best NFL game. I'd say it is the best console football game, mainly because of too many bugs in ESPN's dynasty mode.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:54 PM   #27
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Is this a joke?

No. Just because this an FOF site, doesn't mean that everyone here is a part of the hive.

I am, however, part of the hive.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:55 PM   #28
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
I actually tried last year's college football game and only completed like 20% of my passes in a full game (online opponent got like 15%). It's like, "FUCK THIS!" and I returned it to the video store.

EA-free since 2002...but it may sadly end when the new Burnout is released.

Is Forza MS an EA game? I'm just cuious (and lazy), because that's the only game I own.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:56 PM   #29
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Is Forza MS an EA game? I'm just cuious (and lazy), because that's the only game I own.

No. It is made by Microsoft studios (I'm fairly sure.)
Old 06-04-2005, 08:02 PM   #30
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

I've never played a Madden game, but can somebody tell me this: Is it possible yet to play only as a GM/head coach, just making roster decisions and calling plays without monkeying around with a joystick and controlling players on the field?
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:09 PM   #31
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
I've never played a Madden game, but can somebody tell me this: Is it possible yet to play only as a GM/head coach, just making roster decisions and calling plays without monkeying around with a joystick and controlling players on the field?

Yes. The last version had a coach only mode. However, it has never been as realistic as I would like due to the coach mode throwing too many interceptions at least in my opinion.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:16 PM   #32
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Because competition is gonna bite them in the ass if they don't, right?
Wanna place a wager on how many of these people were "never going to buy Madden again" in the thread a few months ago and now that they put some glittery sparkles on it are rushing back for the yearly cosmetic roster update?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-04-2005 at 08:16 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:18 PM   #33
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

To be fair, I'd say the passing cone is one of the biggest new features in the last 10 years. Of course, I'm worried that it won't be implemented correctly in the first version. However, I'm glad to see awareness finally matter for QB's.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:25 PM   #34
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Wanna place a wager on how many of these people were "never going to buy Madden again" in the thread a few months ago and now that they put some glittery sparkles on it are rushing back for the yearly cosmetic roster update?

SI

I'm one of these people!
Old 06-04-2005, 08:27 PM   #35
JeeberD
General Manager

I think what Josh is saying, SI, is that there ISN'T any competition for Madden anymore. They can basically do whatever they want and NFL console game fans will still buy it...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:42 PM   #36
Cuckoo
College Starter

I love Madden for the console, and I tend to buy it every year. I've tried all the other NFL games, but I don't like any of them near as much as Madden. Perhaps it's a comfortability factor. Of course, FOF trumps them all, but from time to time I like to mash the buttons.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:56 PM   #37
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

I am glad this thread sprung up, because in the last thread I was the only one who said I would actually like it if you could only control your player (others said no one would want to). I wish they at least gave you the option to do this. Call me a dork, but I wouldn't actually mind running routes if I didn't get thrown to, or blocking on passing downs as a running back. I just wish a game would finally get this sports RPG right, so many games are tempting us by getting close.

I think it might be a bit of a problem with me, really. Because in the past, when I would create my own player, I was always so tempted to make him have amazing games and make him the best in the league, etc. So like say my superstar character is a WR, I sure as hell am going to be tempted to pass to him as much as I can. Or if my superstar is a running back, I am definately going to run most of the time to give him good games and "win" superstar mode.

I really hate it, because if you could just control that player, I would be so sold. I'm still going to buy the game, admittedly, because I am one of the madden dorks who buys it every year. But man, what could have been if they at least gave us the option to control only that player. I mean if there were at least the option then it would satisfy both those who want only to control their player and those who want to player a normal madden game.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:57 PM   #38
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I think what Josh is saying, SI, is that there ISN'T any competition for Madden anymore. They can basically do whatever they want and NFL console game fans will still buy it...
I wholeheartedly agreed in that thread. Many people, however, were saying that this was the last straw and they were giving up on Madden, etc. I further posited that every year previous they always bought it despite the fact that the core of Madden hasn't changed in about 8 years and if you've always bought these slightly prettier graphics and roster updates then this year would be no different.

And look at what we have here- people going "ooh and aah" about the same kind of changes that happen every year that are just window dressing. Like the hair-pulling defensive changes from last year that were heralded when they came out or the shallow owner control the year before or Madden cards back in the PSX years or whatever- this new Superstar mode is going to be a watered down version of NFL Street, at best. Yet every year more and more people put down $50 (or $60 for X360, if rumors are to be believed) and sites review the game higher and higher.

As long as people keep telling themselves "it's bigger and better" and keep shelling out the bucks, particularly with the new exclusivity contract, there's no impetus on EA to do any substantial and well needed upgrades like better franchise AI or finally balancing out gameplay so that it doesn't just alternate year to year from offense being super strong to defense and back again with the running game being broken one year to the passing game the next.

If I'm wrong and this year's does prove to be the one where they take a big leap forward, then great- I'll go out and buy it rather than just play it for a few days on a borrowed PS2 and say "this is the same as last year". But it seems unlikely given that they'd rather shell out the cash for exclusivity than spend it on game r&d.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-04-2005 at 08:59 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:09 PM   #39
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I wholeheartedly agreed in that thread. Many people, however, were saying that this was the last straw and they were giving up on Madden, etc. I further posited that every year previous they always bought it despite the fact that the core of Madden hasn't changed in about 8 years and if you've always bought these slightly prettier graphics and roster updates then this year would be no different.

And look at what we have here- people going "ooh and aah" about the same kind of changes that happen every year that are just window dressing. Like the hair-pulling defensive changes from last year that were heralded when they came out or the shallow owner control the year before or Madden cards back in the PSX years or whatever- this new Superstar mode is going to be a watered down version of NFL Street, at best. Yet every year more and more people put down $50 (or $60 for X360, if rumors are to be believed) and sites review the game higher and higher.

As long as people keep telling themselves "it's bigger and better" and keep shelling out the bucks, particularly with the new exclusivity contract, there's no impetus on EA to do any substantial and well needed upgrades like better franchise AI or finally balancing out gameplay so that it doesn't just alternate year to year from offense being super strong to defense and back again with the running game being broken one year to the passing game the next.

If I'm wrong and this year's does prove to be the one where they take a big leap forward, then great- I'll go out and buy it rather than just play it for a few days on a borrowed PS2 and say "this is the same as last year". But it seems unlikely given that they'd rather shell out the cash for exclusivity than spend it on game r&d.

SI

I understand your argument and those who agree with you, but I guess Madden is just my vice. People spend money on stupid crap all the time. So I spend $50 on Madden each year and I almost always enjoy what I have gotten. I know many people say it is just better graphics and updated rosters but there is always new content, and those three alone are enough for me to spend $50 or whatever a year. I don't buy many games, but I'm ok with Madden because I always get months and months of play out of it.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:34 PM   #40
Loki
Banned

Madden is ok, but NCAA is the best game ever sinply because you can actually play defense as other positions besides DE.

In Madden you have little chance, if ever, of making a great play as a LB or S, but NCAA seems to let your LB and S have some space to move around. There is nothing better than seeing a hole develop between the tackles, and filling it with your controlled MLB to make the tackle at the line of scrimmage.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:19 PM   #41
Tigercat
College Starter

There are lots of people that like to control one person before and at the snap of the ball. Hell, its what most people do on D. So why don't football games consistently offer this option on offense?? It would be a big added possibility for Madden's new mode they are adding here. In fact, this writeup shows the possibility of easily giving people two games in one, sports simluation and sports role playing, just by adding a little bit here and there. Its just a shame that they missed out on gameplay that can really solidify this idea for a lot of us.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:48 PM   #42
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
No. Just because this an FOF site, doesn't mean that everyone here is a part of the hive.

I am, however, part of the hive.

I wasn't really thinking about FOF exclusively. FPS Football series, Tecmo Football series, and bugs or not, I still prefer NFL 2k5 over Madden 2k5.

Back when Madden was on the Genesis, I loved it.. now, it's fun at times, but it doesn't grab me anymore the way it used to.

BUT Madden is the best NFL game ever created? Maybe to kids...
Old 06-04-2005, 10:52 PM   #43
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
One could reasonably argue that Madden is the best NFL game. I'd say it is the best console football game, mainly because of too many bugs in ESPN's dynasty mode.

Current console titles? Yes, one could argue that.. but I still like NFL 2k5 better in most areas.

I was really hoping Sega could have made an NFL 2k6 this year. That series had so much potential. I'm still bitter about this exclusive rights bs. In fact, I sold my Xbox and I'm in the process of selling my psp. I always come back to my PC as text sims are so much more in terms of realism.

Todd
Old 06-04-2005, 11:14 PM   #44
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The feature sounds interesting, but the cone is what I'm interested in. I may wait until next year's version so they can get the kinks out of the awareness cone. I have a feeling it won't work as it should the first time out.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:20 PM   #45
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I've never been a fan of the Madden gameplay. It feels like the players are playing on ice skates, and the receivers always get behind the defenders. It just isn't fun when you can expect 28 points out of a 2-minute drill.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:44 PM   #46
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Current console titles? Yes, one could argue that.. but I still like NFL 2k5 better in most areas.

I was really hoping Sega could have made an NFL 2k6 this year. That series had so much potential. I'm still bitter about this exclusive rights bs. In fact, I sold my Xbox and I'm in the process of selling my psp. I always come back to my PC as text sims are so much more in terms of realism.

Todd

Wow. I can't believe you are selling your PSP.

ISiddiqui, I'm also worried that the cone won't work as well as it should the first time around, but I've already preordered anyway. I've just enjoyed every rendition of Madden enough that I know it is an automatic purchase usually. Least I never said I was swearing off Madden in that thread back when. I'm annoyed with the exclusive rights BS, but I'm not going to let that annoyance stop me from enjoying a game which is always one of my most enjoyed purchases each year.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:46 PM   #47
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Todd, I agree that I like ESPN 2k5 better in most areas as well, but the dynasty bugs were just too much for me to rank it ahead of Madden as I see Madden a very close second in most of the gameplay areas, and I see it's dynasty mode as MUCH better than the last rendition of ESPN 2k5.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:03 AM   #48
RailsFS
Mascot

I haven't read much on the passing "cone" but how is it going to be implemented? Will it make timing routes and such where the QB is looking away from the targeted receiver (to bait or throw off the safety) harder to complete? If so, that's a serious flaw in the game.

On this topic, I have been hoping for a feature like this for years. I also feel that you should have the option of only playing as your created player. Maybe even not have control of the playcalling, that would be nice.
RailsFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:56 AM   #49
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I'm also worried that the cone won't work as well as it should the first time around, but I've already preordered anyway. I've just enjoyed every rendition of Madden enough that I know it is an automatic purchase usually. Least I never said I was swearing off Madden in that thread back when. I'm annoyed with the exclusive rights BS, but I'm not going to let that annoyance stop me from enjoying a game which is always one of my most enjoyed purchases each year.

I completely agree with you EF. I just buy it because it's a lot of fun to play. Obviously, it doesn't have the lasting appeal (hope I'm using the right word here...) that FOF has, but it's still a good, enjoyable game.

Personally, I like this superstar feature, as I like the "Heisman Race" thing that they put in NCAA. I hope you can import your created NCAA player in this superstar mode, it will be fun to follow only one player, from high school to the pros, even without playing the game and just simming.
Emiliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:35 AM   #50
GroundCat
Banned

Madden is much more fun that FOF simply because you can actually see your players perform on the field. In FOF, we have to trust that the game of football is actually being played correctly, and sometimes it's hard to believe that it is.

In Madden, you can actually see the play happen, and see where your players messed up. Sure, there are playcalling issues in Madden, but every game has that. (Ever seen your FOF team go 3-deep on 3rd and short?)

Also, some say that there are issues with balancing the different positions, but I think that's more a reflection of personal preference. (ex: some people say the cb's are super-human, while others will say they are too stupid)

Madden is still the greatest NFL game ever created, by far.