Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
Flasch186
Coordinator

My girlfriend's eyesight complaint

Alright, so for the past couple of weeks, what has caused GF's anxiety is that she says her eyesight is F'd up. I ask her to describe it and she says it's wierd. She described it as, "When you look at a light for a while and look away, you still can kind of see that light. Well she sees those things, not as distinct, but thats her best description. The eyedoctor last night switched her contact lenses but said that the prescription was spot on. This morning though she says it's still the same and causing her headaches. What is the next step? A doctor doctor? any guesses?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Did the eye doctor check for Glaucoma?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
Flasch186
Coordinator

I assume so. He did all of the normal test, dilation and all that stuff. Checked her retina, etc.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-03-2005, 12:20 PM   #4
Buzzbee
College Starter

Sounds like she might need an Ophtamologist rather than an Optometrist.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:22 PM   #5
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Sounds like she might need an Ophtamologist rather than an Optometrist.

Seconded.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #6
RendeR
Coordinator

I've had this sensation all my life, my eye doctors *6 of them* have all to the man told me its a natural reaction of teh retina, its like when you look at the sun and you still see the spot for awhile after ward, but I've always gotten the same effect from any light source.

They told me there was nothing out of the ordinary and that most people see this phenomina and just forget its there or happening.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
I've had this sensation all my life, my eye doctors *6 of them* have all to the man told me its a natural reaction of teh retina, its like when you look at the sun and you still see the spot for awhile after ward, but I've always gotten the same effect from any light source.

Huh. I know what you're talking about because I get the same thing. Any light source leaves an after-image of itself on my eyesight. I always thought it was just a normal reaction.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:41 PM   #8
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Huh. I know what you're talking about because I get the same thing. Any light source leaves an after-image of itself on my eyesight. I always thought it was just a normal reaction.

Same here. I assumed this happened to everyone. Interesting.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Same here.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
Same here. I assumed this happened to everyone. Interesting.

I still assume this... but it just bugs some people, and not the rest of us.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:51 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This happens to me as well, and I've never worried about it. However, if your GF is worried, I would recommend you take her to an opthalomologist for a complete eye exam.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #12
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
I still assume this... but it just bugs some people, and not the rest of us.

This is the first time I've even considered the possiblity that everyone didn't get the after images. It is strange that Flasch's gf would just notice them now.

I've never seen an eye doctor because (*knock on wood*) I still have 20/20 vision. So, if there is something wrong (which I doubt), I would be interested to hear about it.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:57 PM   #13
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai

this isn't normal?

i am pretty sure everything described in this thread sounds normal.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:02 PM   #14
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

wasn't it in Top Gun that they said the best way to identify the jets shown in a quick flash by the projector was to simply close your eyes right as the picture came on? Meaning the picture stays on your retina and you can still sort of see it with your eyes closed... Maybe I dreamed it though...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 06-03-2005 at 01:02 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:12 PM   #15
Buzzbee
College Starter

FROGMAN!!! Wake UP!!! You're dreaming again!!! WAKE UP!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 01:13 PM   #16
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

thanks Buzzbee, rough Friday afternoon...

FM
Old 06-03-2005, 01:17 PM   #17
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Dude, the problem is not with your girlfriends eyes, the problem is with her anxiety disorder. Deal with that and the eye problem will go away,

or she has glaucoma.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #18
Flasch186
Coordinator

she says she used to have the light thing and thought it normal, but now "its different". She has a difficult time describing it.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #19
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
she says she used to have the light thing and thought it normal, but now "its different". She has a difficult time describing it.

Have you laced your semen with a psychotropic, perhaps?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:21 PM   #20
Suicane75
Coordinator

Is she depressed cause she can't see the computer not working?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:22 PM   #21
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Have you laced your semen with a psychotropic, perhaps?

bukkkake!
Old 06-03-2005, 01:32 PM   #22
Flasch186
Coordinator

she's getting depressed cuz she can't figure out what's wrong and I can't help her except to say, "cowboy up." I just found an opthamalogist on our health insurer so when her's kicks in Ill send her off.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #23
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
this isn't normal?

i am pretty sure everything described in this thread sounds normal.
It is normal IMHO. That's how those funky optical illusions work....let me find one and link to it...one sec.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:22 PM   #24
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Stare at the four black dots in the center of the image for 30 - 60 seconds. Then quickly close your eyes and look at something bright (like a lamp or a window with sunlight coming through it). You should see a white circle with an image inside it.

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:45 PM   #25
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This is going to be like some Twilight Zone episode, where everyone on FOFC starts to actually notice those little eye light things for the first time, and we all go insane.

Thanks, Flasch.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:57 PM   #26
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This whole phenomena brings back memories of a train of thought I once had.

What if everything we see is not absolute, but relative. Take for example the color red. Most everyone who sees it will say that it is red. But those who are colorblind cannot say for sure. Is it because they can see something else in the color that everyone else misses, or are they missing something everyone else sees?

Another more abstract example would be beauty. You can select any object or person that is regarded as beautiful, and you will find people who will disagree. As above, are they seeing something more than others, or less than others?

I got a headache of a magnitude greater than that of a slurpee brain freeze when I really sat down and thought about it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:58 PM   #27
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman

What if everything we see is not absolute, but relative. Take for example the color red. Most everyone who sees it will say that it is red. But those who are colorblind cannot say for sure. Is it because they can see something else in the color that everyone else misses, or are they missing something everyone else sees?

Another more abstract example would be beauty. You can select any object or person that is regarded as beautiful, and you will find people who will disagree. As above, are they seeing something more than others, or less than others?

I got a headache of a magnitude greater than that of a slurpee brain freeze when I really sat down and thought about it.

That ace high you see I have is really quad 10's. You are more enlightened than I, now give me your money.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:15 PM   #28
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
She described it as, "When you look at a light for a while and look away, you still can kind of see that light. Well she sees those things, not as distinct, but thats her best description.

I assume what she is discribing is an afterimage. This is normal and results from adaptation of various sensory neurons. Once you look away, the adaptation takes some time to wear off. You don't actually see the same stimulus, you see the inverse of the stimulus. So if you are looking at a blue light, you'll see a yellow afterimage.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:23 PM   #29
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman

word.

also about colors, what if you saw green as the green you know? GREEN. But someone sees your green as this color, but their whole life they have been taught it is green and feel it is green. when grabbing for the green crayon, it looks like this to them but they still know it as green. who would ever know?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:33 PM   #30
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
.....What is the next step? A doctor doctor? any guesses?

maybe a psychiatrist. She sounds like a hypochondriac.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:39 PM   #31
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
word.

also about colors, what if you saw green as the green you know? GREEN. But someone sees your green as this color, but their whole life they have been taught it is green and feel it is green. when grabbing for the green crayon, it looks like this to them but they still know it as green. who would ever know?

Dude.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:45 PM   #32
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
word.

Weed is wonderful, isn't it?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:26 PM   #33
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
maybe a psychiatrist. She sounds like a hypochondriac.

not by defiinition...she's just freaked. I told her to give it some time, with the newer lenses and see...

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 06-04-2005 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:45 PM   #34
cwilloughby
Mascot

Hey Flasch, the similarities to my GF's problems are scary.

She says that hers started as an eyesight issue as well. One night, while driving, she said that the lines on the road to began to double up and she got the fish-bowl effect. That gave her the first attack.

Ever since then, she has been taking medicine, but her eyesight can still bring it on.

Ironically, people jump to conclusions and call her a hypocondriac also. Once again, if your GF has any questions, email them to me, and I'll ask my GF to answer them.

GL man,
Chris W.
cwilloughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:05 PM   #35
Loren
High School JV

i dunno if its normal for everyone, I kinda get what she describes and I never noticed it until a couple years back..main reason I dont like to drive at nite anymore which sucks cuz thats when im awake and always drove around comfortably then, but now the light from cars or street lights, I dont even hafta look at them directly as long as they're there my focus on te cars, road lines/barriers are not to where I feel comfortable driving..my focus is just OFF, I sometimes hafta head shake a second to refocus, I blink like a million times hoping its my contacts and they'll clear up but they just dont soo its my eyes..started getting this when I was diagnosed with the RA though..and thats supposed to make the white of your eyes swell up soo maybe its that with me though I have been known to have an ocassional anxiety attack
Old 06-04-2005, 07:48 AM   #36
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilloughby
Hey Flasch, the similarities to my GF's problems are scary.

She says that hers started as an eyesight issue as well. One night, while driving, she said that the lines on the road to began to double up and she got the fish-bowl effect. That gave her the first attack.

Ever since then, she has been taking medicine, but her eyesight can still bring it on.

Ironically, people jump to conclusions and call her a hypocondriac also. Once again, if your GF has any questions, email them to me, and I'll ask my GF to answer them.

GL man,
Chris W.

Ill do that later today/tonight. Ill have her email you.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-04-2005, 10:32 AM   #37
cwilloughby
Mascot

Quote:
Ill do that later today/tonight. Ill have her email you.

Sounds good. I'll have my GF take a look.
cwilloughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:13 AM   #38
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
word.

Then it's just semantics. You could call this "table" for what it's worth and if you always see this color and were taught it was "table" then you are just calling it something different. It's no different than "those wacky Spanish speaking people" calling it verde.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:31 AM   #39
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
she's getting depressed cuz she can't figure out what's wrong and I can't help her except to say, "cowboy up." I just found an opthamalogist on our health insurer so when her's kicks in Ill send her off.

Is she taking any medication?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:56 AM   #40
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
Is she taking any medication?

birth control.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-04-2005, 11:57 AM   #41
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Then it's just semantics. You could call this "table" for what it's worth and if you always see this color and were taught it was "table" then you are just calling it something different. It's no different than "those wacky Spanish speaking people" calling it verde.

SI

I think you are misunderstanding his proposition. It isn't that someone calls Green "Table". It is that when you seen something that you consider to be Green it looks likt THIS to you. In this case the way you perceive Green is how I perceive Red. Because we consistently interpret the results we can communicate clearly.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:59 AM   #42
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
birth control.

I could be a reaction to it... I don't know. But I've heard of stranger things. And peoples bodies do change.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote