Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-02-2005, 10:26 PM   #1
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Hit Me Baby One More Time

If your a big Amercian Idol Fan

Check out Hit Me Baby One More Time. Airs Thursday,Tonight on NBC

"Veteran hitmakers perform and compete! Based on the popular UK show of the same name, "Hit Me Baby One More Time" tracks down hitmakers from the past and they take the stage in a new competition in which you're the judge! Former Top Ten artists return to perform their trademark hit song along with one of today's current hits. At the end of the night, the live audience votes for their favorites!"

This week Performances is Tiffany, CeCe Peniston
A Flock of Seagulls,Arrested Development ,Loverboy.

Coming Soon...
Wang Chung, The Knack, Irene Cara, Sophie B. Hawkins, Cameo, Tommy Tutone, Vanilla Ice, The Motels and more!

jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #2
Suicane75
Coordinator

Saw Tiffany and Loverboy and they both kicked ass. Saw some dude on a keyboard and felt really bad cause it just wasn't happening.

Edit: Was Tiffany pregnant or just carrying around some belly? She looked damn fine either way.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 06-02-2005 at 10:31 PM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:30 PM   #3
Loren
High School JV

oook soo most of the bands and people i loved are on concert this summer, anddd all these old bands/singers on tv...OMG I hereby proclaim it the summer of Loren
Old 06-02-2005, 10:32 PM   #4
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren
oook soo most of the bands and people i loved are on concert this summer, anddd all these old bands/singers on tv...OMG I hereby proclaim it the summer of Loren

Are NKOTB Reuniting?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:40 PM   #5
Loren
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Are NKOTB Reuniting?

nooo THATT would be the summer of Loren & Suicane....but Jordan will be in tx in july, we could throw our panties on stage..well you could i dont wear any..
Old 06-02-2005, 10:42 PM   #6
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
nooo THATT would be the summer of Loren & Suicane....but Jordan will be in tx in july, we could throw our panties on stage..well you could i dont wear any..

He did a cover of that Prince song, and did it badly, he gets no love from me for that. Joey however is just the cutest thing, so i'd be down for that. And i only wear stockings, cause it feels like a spring breeze always hitting my legs all the time, good times.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:49 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

I will let my Texan brethren become aware of this threat to our sacred soil and we'll do everything we have to to keep Jordan out of our beloved state...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 06-02-2005 at 10:49 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:35 AM   #8
jbmagic
Pro Starter

wow a very good show.

brings back memories.

they have to perform there own greatest hit song and one song from today.

Last edited by jbmagic : 06-03-2005 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:43 AM   #9
SackAttack
Head Coach

Can we get jbmagic's ranking changed to "Reality TV Junkie," please? I don't think I've seen a thread started by him in the last week that didn't somehow center around one of those pieces of garbage.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:49 AM   #10
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Can we get jbmagic's ranking changed to "Reality TV Junkie," please? I don't think I've seen a thread started by him in the last week that didn't somehow center around one of those pieces of garbage.

Hey man, this was a great show. Seeing an old, fat, grey haired, pot bellied Mike Reno step out on stage and bring it was a marvelous thing, it says something about the human condition when your looking at a guy and fully expecting him to fall on his face in a UIC moment to end all UIC moments and he shows you that he's still got it.

Fuck, im tired.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:05 AM   #11
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
Was Tiffany pregnant or just carrying around some belly? She looked damn fine either way.

Tiffany and CeCe Peniston were both packing some extra poundage. I thought it looked better on CeCe, but the Tifster has nothing to be ashamed of.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:28 AM   #12
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Hey man, this was a great show. Seeing an old, fat, grey haired, pot bellied Mike Reno step out on stage and bring it was a marvelous thing, it says something about the human condition when your looking at a guy and fully expecting him to fall on his face in a UIC moment to end all UIC moments and he shows you that he's still got it.

Fuck, im tired.

Are you kidding? Reno could barely get through Workin for the Weekend. My wife and I both came to the conclusion about 2 minutes in that this show that we were going to be more depressed than entertained. Luckily, it got better, and in fact, I can't believe I'm going to say this, but Reno actually pulled off Hero better than his own song.

A Flock of Seagull (because let's face it, he's the only one left) was awful, just awful. That guy cannot sing one note anymore. That one really made me cringe and feel bad for the guy. The others...eh. Never heard of CeCe Whatsherface and never really heard Arrested Development (although I know Dionne Farris came from that band, and I assume she wasn't there last night). And Tiffany was what I expected - a little older, fatter, and still with a decent voice.

Overall, a decent show, but they should be pairing them better. Forcing Flock and Loverboy to go up against a 90's hip-hop group and singer was unfair. Put them up against Wang Chung and other 50 year old, fat, balding has-beens and let them compete on a level playing field.

Oh, and that host needs to go. If they wanted someone who couldn't speak English, they should have hired Billy Connolly - at least he would have been entertaining.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-03-2005 at 06:28 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:10 AM   #13
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Yeah I thought that show was kinda sad. And I thought the idea was a good one before I watched it.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:54 AM   #14
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I thought Arrested Development was good. Everybody else were . . . ugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Forcing Flock and Loverboy to go up against a 90's hip-hop group and singer was unfair.
From the perspective that they've had less time to, uhhh, "age" being from the early '90s, I can see your point. But Arrested Development actually did something with their cover song. It was a whole new song in their own style, which I admire. The other people just seemed to have done a nice little rendition while adding nothing to the songs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu Blue
I thought it looked better on CeCe, but the Tifster has nothing to be ashamed of.
Uhh, those clothes may have looked kinda cute when she was 16. Last night . . . they were not.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:19 AM   #15
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
I thought Arrested Development was good. Everybody else were . . . ugh.From the perspective that they've had less time to, uhhh, "age" being from the early '90s, I can see your point. But Arrested Development actually did something with their cover song. It was a whole new song in their own style, which I admire. The other people just seemed to have done a nice little rendition while adding nothing to the songs.

Oh, I agree completely. I thought they did a great job with that song. Certainly better than Bo did on AI. And to borrow a phrase from that show, they "made it their own."

Honestly, I was just happy for Mike Reno that he didn't embarass himself on that cover. I thought it would be a trainwreck based on the first song, but he pulled it off.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-03-2005, 10:29 AM   #16
Ksyrup

You want to be nauseous? Look who that moron host is married to:

Someone else can post this if they want. No nudity or anything, but probably not work-safe if you don't want a risque chick pic on your screen:

hxxp://www.jarvisrg54rs.freeserve.co.uk/images/tess_daly00.jpg
Old 06-03-2005, 10:46 AM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
we could throw our panties on stage..well you could i dont wear any..

We've let 11 posts go by without asking for proof?

PixPlsKThx.

(Foz, upholder of FOFC tradition)
Old 06-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #18
AlexB
Pro Starter

Haven;t seen this particular show, but Vernon Kaye is usually pretty funny - he goes for the cheeky northern chappie angle most of the time, but I have seen one show where he was obviously tightly scripted and he suffered for it. Maybe that's the case on this one too?

Didn;t realise he was married to Tess Daly though - lucky bastard
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #19
Swaggs
Coordinator

After the first three lines of "Working For the Weekend," I thought Reno was going to pass out from overexertion. But they kind of turned it around and the band actually sounded pretty sharp.

The show was pretty fun. I'll probably watch it again.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:25 PM   #20
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I was definitely in the underwhelmed category. Arrested Development was good, I just was never a big fan of that style. I thought CeCe's and Tiffany's voices held up fairly nicely; if anything, Tiffany may have been a bit better with a little more maturity and edge in her voice. I would rather have seen her sing "Could've Been" than "I Think We're Alone Now," and nobody including Kelly Clarkson should seing a Kelly Clarkson song. Let's stop beating around the bush -- Tiffany's breast job was the real star of the evening, although she really can't pull off the outfit she was trying to.

Loverboy and Flock of Seagulls were pretty bad. I agree with Ksyrup -- I thought the cover was better than "Workin' for the Weekend." Reno's voice is shot. I mentioned to Mrs. kcchief19 that Flock of Seagulls didn't even sound like a decent Flock of Seagulls tribute band.

My biggest complaint were the songs were too short. I think Tiffany got to belt out most of "I Think We're Alone Now," but most of the old school songs were 90 seconds. I think the covers were longer, but I don't think they were full versions either. Five artists + 40 minutes of airtime / two songs each should = more than 2 minutes per song. There was too much fluff in the production.

And that host is a total jack. He reminds me of that dumbass on Entertainment Tonight, Coco or whatever. How that guy landed a hot chick I have no idea.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:55 PM   #21
QuikSand
lolzcat

excellent analysis, kc.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:10 PM   #22
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
I would rather have seen her sing "Could've Been" than "I Think We're Alone Now," and nobody including Kelly Clarkson should seing a Kelly Clarkson song.

I thought this was the best comment about Tiffany doing Clarkson (from another board):

"Oh God....a has-been star doing her own Karaoke act with a song sung by a pop star created from another, glorified Karaoke show...unholy."
Old 06-03-2005, 08:15 PM   #23
Ksyrup

LOL! I just read someone's blog where they said Reno's version of Eating Through the Weekend was God-awful. I hate to say it, but this is the kind of show we need during the summer...
Old 06-03-2005, 08:27 PM   #24
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Looking forward to seeing Geoffrey Feiger's little brother doing My Sharona again.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:11 PM   #25
Ksyrup

This is awesome!

http://waxy.org/random/video/workingforthevideo.mpg
Old 06-10-2005, 10:33 AM   #26
Ksyrup

Allow me to set this story straight, and feel free to share this with anyone or any site that may be misconstruing this issue.

Night Ranger was slated to appear on "Hit Me Baby One More Time" on NBC, and we had already interrupted our recording schedule to record and turn in to NBC the edited TV track of Sister Christian.

We also spent an entire day filming interviews and background video material to be used on the show.

What precluded us from being able to do the show at that time was that, as you pointed out, the bands need to pick a second recent hit by someone else to perform and we were without a second song.

We chose and re-chose, and submitted and re-submitted 7 to 10 songs to perform (from a list and guideline of songs provided us) that NBC couldn't get cleared to use. (all songs have to be cleared for use on Television, Film, or whatever media by the composer and publisher)

As of Friday morning, less than 48 hours before we were supposed to fly to Hollywood to film, NBC still hadn't cleared a song, and it would have been physically impossible for us to learn, re-arrange, and re-record, and then perform live, someone else's song to any degree of our standard of professionalism and talent within that space of time.

We're still in place to go on the show if NBC picks up the program for future episodes and we appreciate all the fans that want to see us, as well as recognize the importance of being out there in TV land for those that don't get to see us live in concert.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:35 AM   #27
Ksyrup

BTW, I thought this week was way better than last, simply because The Knack was excellent and Tommy Tutone wasn't too bad, either. Vanilla Ice was still the ass clown he always is, and the fact that he "won" ...let's just say I'm glad the money went to charity.

Next week? Try Cameo, Howard Jones, Irene Cara, Sophie B. Hawkins and Wang Chung. That show is going to suck monkey balls.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:58 AM   #28
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

WTF was up with the high tempo Norah Jones song? Bleh.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:10 AM   #29
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Did anyone else find it amusing that Vanilla Ice's cover of "Survivor" had nothing in common with the original song other than the word "Survivor"?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:22 AM   #30
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Did anyone else find it amusing that Vanilla Ice's cover of "Survivor" had nothing in common with the original song other than the word "Survivor"?

that was funny, he told the guy he was going to sing Destiny Child song Survivor.

i bet he surprise them because its live.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #31
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I don't think it is live... in fact I'm certain of it, because it's quite clear that the post-production sound guy has a sound clip of fans yelling "whooo" that's he fallen in love with and insists on playing on a loop throughout the show.

Artist: This song was written for my mother, who passed away when I was an infant...
Audience: WHOOO!

The whole show has the feel of something where they tape all the episodes back-to-back.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #32
Klinglerware
College Starter

I never really liked Haddaway too much, but I thought his cover was the most radio-friendly of the bunch. The Knack's cover was pretty good too.

The host is a tool, but it is compelling television...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:36 AM   #33
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
BTW, I thought this week was way better than last, simply because The Knack was excellent and Tommy Tutone wasn't too bad, either. Vanilla Ice was still the ass clown he always is, and the fact that he "won" ...let's just say I'm glad the money went to charity.

Next week? Try Cameo, Howard Jones, Irene Cara, Sophie B. Hawkins and Wang Chung. That show is going to suck monkey balls.

How can a show be bad with Cameo, Howard Jones, and Wang Chung? Word up, we are going to Wang Chung tonight and no one is to blame!
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:51 AM   #34
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I saw Night Ranger in concert.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:01 PM   #35
Swaggs
Coordinator

I thought the Knack was really outstanding and that Haddaway was very good.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:18 AM   #36
Ksyrup

Occasionally, Bill Simmons mines a nugget:

When NBA TV finally puts me in charge of its network, ... My fourth move will be "H-O-R-S-E Me Baby One More Time," where failed lottery picks play games of H-O-R-S-E for $25,000.

Good stuff.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:42 AM   #37
Joe
Pro Starter

ehh..
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #38
Ksyrup

I thought it was funny...or at least, comparable to what is occurring on the show currently.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:38 AM   #39
Swaggs
Coordinator

Is there a re-run for this show tonight?

My listings don't show any details.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #40
Ksyrup

Tonight is a new one, from what I recall. Glass Tiger is one of the bands.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:59 AM   #41
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm not familiar with Glass Tiger. What hits?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:01 AM   #42
Ksyrup

Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone)
Old 06-23-2005, 11:02 AM   #43
Ksyrup

Which you apparently did...
Old 06-23-2005, 11:04 AM   #44
Ksyrup

Here's the lineup, I believe:

Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way
Glass Tiger - Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone)
Greg Kihn Band - The Breakup Song
Club Nouveau - Lean On Me
Billy Vera - At This Moment
Old 06-23-2005, 11:06 AM   #45
Swaggs
Coordinator

Here are the others from this week:
Billy Vera (At This Moment)
Club Noveau (Lean On Me)
Glass Tiger (Don't Forget Me)
Greg Kihn (The Breakup Song)
Thelma Houston (Don't Leave Me This Way)

I don't recall the last two, at all. I recognize Glass Tiger's song.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:07 AM   #46
Ksyrup

You don't know the Breakup Song?

Uh-uh-uh uh-uh-uh-uh-uh?

They just don't write 'em like that anymore...
Old 06-23-2005, 11:09 AM   #47
Swaggs
Coordinator

Drat... Ksyrup bested me once again!

How about this...some of their covers:
Billy Vera (Unannounced)
Club Noveau (Unannounced)
Glass Tiger (Everything You Want)
Greg Kihn (Boulevard of Broken Dreams)
Thelma Houston (Unannounced)
Old 06-23-2005, 11:09 AM   #48
Swaggs
Coordinator

It's not the Jeopardy song, is it?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:13 AM   #49
Ksyrup

Different song. They were a 2-hit wonder!

Actually, Jeopardy was their biggest hit, and they had one other top 40 song that I don't remember. But I've always liked the Breakup Song.

Then again, I don't think I've heard it for over a decade.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:49 PM   #50
Ksyrup

Next week...Animotion, Juice Newton, Missing Persons (electric tape bra???), Shannon and a performer yet to be announced. I predict Shannon will win.