Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-01-2005, 01:13 PM   #1
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

FM2005: positioning for a keeper?

Open question here, how much importance do you all accord to positioning when selecting a goalkeeper?

I got this promising 18yo who's looking pretty good on my team right now (Wayne Alexander for those who know my Q.P.R. squad), and a product of our own youth program to boot, but he's got 3 for positioning which I find kind of brutal. When I compare him to my current starter, a 25yo who seems to have peaked in ability (Schmeichel, again for readers of my dynasty), they are quite similar, with the 18yo having probably room to grow. Should I be that worried about the ugly positioning?

Your thoughts would be appreciated...

FM

FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:15 PM   #2
Desnudo
Coordinator

I think you should stop buying really slow players. And I would be worried about the keeper positioning.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

thanks for the extra advice, but my slow players are doing pretty well anyway

Seriously, how worried? very worried? Would it really mean he will never develop into a good keeper? He was a 1 in positioning last season and has gained 2 points in a season while not having one appearance with the first team...

FM
Old 06-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #4
Desnudo
Coordinator

It depends on other factors like anticipation, agility, etc., but I wouldn't sign a keeper with position that bad.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

yeah, I didn't sign him and probably wouldn't have. Trying to figure out if he's got a future ore not

Thanks for the info. I just saw he's got 1 for anticipation, that's is butt ugly... 12 for agility...

FM
Old 06-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #6
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

1 for anticipation and 3 for position.

On the off chance he figures out the ball is coming, he won't be in a position to save it. Are you sure he's not just off to the side of the net eating?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #7
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
1 for anticipation and 3 for position.

On the off chance he figures out the ball is coming, he won't be in a position to save it. Are you sure he's not just off to the side of the net eating?

nah, that would be the keeper in my son's U8 team last Summer

Eating or climbing in the net

FM
Old 06-01-2005, 02:13 PM   #8
SaintAnselm
n00b

It's interesting you brought this up as it seems like I have seen quite a few keepers that seem solid except for a very low positioning number. I have, like you, tended to stay away from these guys.

However, maybe it's possible that high numbers in the other categories cover up for their lack of positioning.

One way to tell might be to try and find another keeper with similar numbers who plays and see how his numbers look.
SaintAnselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I would avoid a keeper with positioning that low. I've had friends try to convince me that the positioning rating isn't that important for keepers and is more important for outfield players, but I've never believed that. A keeper would have to be amazing in every other regard for me to ignore a 3 positioning.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:01 PM   #10
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Keepers are a strange bunch, finding a really reliable keeper is something which is essential to make a really great team - but its very hard to do just from surface stats ... especially if you're looking for a keeper who's consistent.

I personally go for keepers who have:

Low - Eccentricity, Tendancy to punch
High - Decisions, Positioning, Pressure, Composure, Agility, Jumping

This gives me a fairly reliable keeper who's good at getting to the ball, sometimes spills it (as I don't stress high handling) but has decent agility for recovery saves (and my defense is good at mopping up anyway).

Poor positioning CAN be a killer for a keeper unless he's very nippy on his feet and has good decisions and agility, with these stats he can compensate and recover ... without them he'll watch the ball sail into the net if he's poorly positioned.

What I tend to do is purchase keepers who meet my requirements and then try them out for a 'run' if my main keeper is injured - I pick ONE to give a run to and stick to him no matter how badly* he does for at least 4-6 games ... the reason for this is that Keepers more than any other position apart from possibly strikers are heavily 'mental' and so bringing one in and out of the side can destroy their confidence and the last thing you need is a nervous keeper.

Keepers hidden mental stats are crucial to them being 'great' players or not, I'm always nervous when I've a new keeper in goal and try and ensure that he's got a solid defensive line in front of him in his first few matches.

IRL finding a great keeper is one of the hardest things for a manager to do, its one of the reasons keepers transfer least out of any position and also why even big teams with talented managers such as Man Utd find it hard to replace a great keeper when he retires ...

Hope this helps,

Marc
*Unless like one of my kids who looked good on paper he turns transparent and lets in 4 goals from 4 shots, if thats the case I shoot him at dawn the next day ... ok so I transfer listed him, but thats only because I hadn't coded in the other option

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 06-01-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:04 PM   #11
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

PS> My foible for keepers is to avoid those with high punching attribute as I've had great keepers who've punched in the past have the ball drop straight to an attacker on the edge of the area who promptly returned it into the net ... its cool imho the way people pick up their own personal likes and dislikes about styles in the game, much as irl
Old 06-01-2005, 03:10 PM   #12
Huckleberry
College Starter

So the manual says handling and reflexes are important for a keeper and Marc uses neither.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Like he said, I think personal style comes into play quite a bit with FM players. For me, I think the keeper is one of the most variable. I'll never take a keeper who doesn't have excellent reflexes (unless I have no absolutely no choice or he is VERY good in every other one of my key keeper attributes.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:36 PM   #14
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
So the manual says handling and reflexes are important for a keeper and Marc uses neither.
Nick from SI write the manual and you'd be amazed at the amount of debates we have in the office over this sort of thing ..... it is largely down to personal preference and style really.

For instance for me, handling and reflexes aren't important because:

My defense defend 'high up the pitch' - this means that by and large unless they're 'broken*' the shots are either from distance (no need to react quickly as he can watch the ball come in) or in close and crowded (in which case hopefully someone will get a block on it or if not then the main thing is positioning as this will mean it'll 'hit' him at least and then its down to jumping on the rebound (ie. agility) to recover the ball ...

Other people at SI defend 'deep' and for them handling and reflexes are much more important, its horses for courses really ..

*Don't under-estimate 'positioning' if a keepers in a 1-on-1 situation with poor positioning he might not cover the goal correctly at all times when the strikers advancing, if he fails to then its as good as giving the striker an empty net to shoot into ..... I don't mind my keeper conceeding, I DO dislike them looking stupid when it happens
Old 06-01-2005, 03:44 PM   #15
jbmagic
Pro Starter

this game seems great.

i cant wait to try fm 2006

i am new to scoocer, so the thing that scares me is setting up the formation style for offense and defense with the strength of your roster. its sounds diffcult.

what great it seems like the formation setting and tendencies does make a difference beside players ratings only. the formation is not costmic.

i really hope there a great manual that comes with fm 2006 for us newbies.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #16
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Seriously...all this specific strategy talk is just the thing to make me fire up another career.

Evil...all of you.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #17
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic

There we go. Send SI to my company to design them a spiffy manual for FM 2006.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:48 PM   #18
Desnudo
Coordinator

I'd like to see a user given the opportunity to write one. They did that for Hearts of Iron II and the manual was excellent. Much more in-depth than your typical game manual.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:53 PM   #19
DanGarion
Coordinator

How about someone do a FM Wiki? That way it would be a living manual that would evolve as people added to it.

edit. In fact I think a Wiki for ANY of these games, FM, FOF, OOTP, TPB, would be a great way to build an living manual.

Last edited by DanGarion : 06-01-2005 at 03:56 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #20
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
How about I do a FM Wiki? That way it would be a living manual that would evolve as people added to it.

edit. In fact I think a Wiki for ANY of these games, FM, FOF, OOTP, TPB, would be a great way to build an living manual.

Brilliant idea. Please let us know if you need help.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:59 PM   #21
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
How about someone do a FM Wiki? That way it would be a living manual that would evolve as people added to it.

I know there was an FM wiki at some point. Not sure if its still around or not, but there was a big deal made about it when it first was developed, maybe 3 years ago.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #22
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Brilliant idea. Please let us know if you need help.

Haha... For a free copy of the game I will set up a Wiki so people could do it...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:42 AM   #23
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
We're hoping to improve the help considerably for FM2006 if we can find the
time, I do however think a comprehensive FM wiki is a great idea.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 06-02-2005 at 03:43 AM.