Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-31-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cleveland "Browns?"

Man, that Larry Brown guy isnt one to put down roots anywhere. At least wait till your team is out of the playoffs, its got to be a bit distracting for the fellows.
Quote:
Next Cavs president? Brown plans to take job
By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert got one Brown -- new head coach Mike Brown -- added to the payroll in recent days. Will he have another to add in the coming weeks?

Larry Brown has told two league sources that he plans to take the Cavaliers' offer to become their next team president. According to the sources, who spoke to ESPN.com on Monday evening, Brown said he would accept the position after the Pistons' season is over.

Larry Brown has refused to discuss the Cavs' offer publicly with reporters.
Brown is still under contract to Detroit, which trails the Miami Heat 2-1 in the Eastern Conference finals, and sources say he will continue to maintain publicly that he won't decide his future with the Pistons until 72 hours after their season is over. Given that timetable, pressing medical issues, his history of unpredictable decisions, and the fact he can't formally sign a contract with the Cavs until he resigns from his job with the Pistons, Brown's future in the NBA won't be certain until he attends a news conference for the Cavaliers to formally announce his hiring.

ESPN.com talked to a Cavs source who refused to confirm or deny whether Brown had given them an answer.

Reached earlier Monday by The Associated Press as he watched a movie with his daughter, Brown refused comment other than to say: "If I'm healthy, my goal is to be the coach of the Detroit Pistons. That's the only thing that's really real."

In recent days, Brown has said repeatedly that he intends to check into a hospital after the season is over because of a serious medical condition. The condition has developed as a result of midseason hip surgery he underwent, and Brown wants a medical evaluation. However, sources maintain that while Brown's medical condition might keep him from coaching again, they do not believe it is serious enough to keep him from working as a team president.

Still, the sources claim that Cavaliers ownership pushed Brown to give them an answer this weekend before they lost out on other top candidates for the job. After hearing Larry Brown's answer, events leading to Mike Brown's hire were set in motion.

Pacers senior vice president David Morway, who had been the frontrunner to get the Cavaliers' GM position before Cleveland began flirting with Brown, had given ownership until Monday evening to make a decision before he had to withdraw from consideration. On Monday, Morway found out that the Cavs were going in another direction.

"I'm in a great situation in Indiana working for Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird, and have no desire to leave unless an unbelievable opportunity came along," Morway told ESPN.com. "When I first interviewed, I was told that the general manager position would have full authority over basketball-related decisions and report directly to ownership.

"However, over the course of the last week, they indicated that they were exploring hiring a high-profile team president that would have full control of all basketball decisions. After talking with ownership, it appears that's the direction they are going and as a result, I am no longer a candidate for the GM position.

"I appreciate the interest they showed in me and wish them the best of luck in the future."

Morway refused to confirm or deny that Brown was being targeted for hire by the Cavs.

Signs, however, are everywhere that Brown is coming aboard. Newly hired head coach Mike Brown is the protégé of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, a close friend and confidant of Larry Brown.

Mike Brown also has reportedly contacted Randy Ayers, a former Larry Brown assistant and former coach of the Sixers, about an assistant coach's position.

The Cavs also recently interviewed Wizards director of player personnel Milt Newton for the vacant GM position. Newton played for Brown at Kansas and is another close friend who might be targeted to take over the day-to-day operations of the Cavs.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Oh, what does Larry Brown care if the Pistons are put into disarray by this piece of news? As future president of the Cavaliers, he should take joy in a division rival's misery.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I thought Larry Brown made it clear this was his last year in Detroit, especially after "The Brawl".
Old 05-31-2005, 10:51 AM   #4
TLK
Pro Starter

As recently as last week (when the rumors started to surface) he was on Detroit radio saying if he was healthy, he wanted to be back coaching the Pistons next year. I'm not sure if it was the truth or just trying to get out of answering the question.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:15 AM   #5
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

If I'm the owner of the Pistons, I tell Brown that he holds a press conference immediatly to either deny the rumor, or resign effective immediatly.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:24 AM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hope that the pistons keep ahold of Brown and dont let him come to cleveland. He's a good coach, but i don't want him making trades for us.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:31 AM   #7
TLK
Pro Starter

I got this e-mail today....

Quote:
ONE SEED ONLY REMINDER- LARRY BROWN IS SCHEDULED TO APPEAR ON SPORTS
RADIO 1130 WDFN TODAY AT 4:35PM!

YOU WON'T WANT TO MISS STONEY AND WOJO TODAY AT 4:35PM. LARRY BROWN IS
SCHEDULED TO APPEAR AND IF HE DOES, LARRY WILL DISCUSS THE RUMORS
SWIRLING AROUND THE CLEVELAND CAVS SITUATION AND LET US KNOW HOW THE
PISTONS PLAN TO BOUNCE BACK AGAINST THE HEAT!

PLUS LISTEN TO STONEY AND WOJO THIS AFTERNOON FOR YOUR CHANCE TO WIN
TICKETS TO TONIGHT'S GAME!

STONEY AND WOJO WILL BE LIVE TODAY FROM BIG BUCK BREWERY IN AUBURN HILLS
FROM 3 TO 6PM, BROADCASTING FROM THE BIGGEST PREGAME PISTONS BASH IN
TOWN! COME OUT AND WIN SPORTS RADIO 1130 WDFN PRIZES AND ENJOY GREAT
FOOD AND DRINK! IF YOU'RE GOING TO THE GAME, GRAB BIG BUCK'S FREE
SHUTTLE TO THE PALACE.

FOR THE BEST COVERAGE OF THE WORLD CHAMPION DETROIT PISTONS AND THE
EXCLUSIVE HOME FOR EVERY GAME, THERE'S ONLY ONE STATION IN TOWN...SPORTS
RADIO 1130 WDFN THE FAN!

http://www.wdfn.com/main.html (they stream starting at 3pm)
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:33 AM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I think it's completely overblown, the whole thing.

I don't think this has one impact on the series with the Heat. I can't believe any of the Pistons are playing any differently so if they use this as an excuse it's weak.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:38 AM   #9
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Marc Stein on ESPN has an article saying the veterans on Detroit were fed up with him halfway through the season. He is 100% for firing Brown now and giving Chuck Daly a call.

I agree it shouldnt affect how they play the Heat. The Pistons know what to do(or not do, Rasheed).

Link
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As a Pistons fan I have two words for you..

Bill Laimbeer.

He'd be the perfect hire. You know the brand of Basketball he'd play. He still loves Detroit. The fans still love him. It's the perfect match.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:12 PM   #11
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

I've had it with Brown - I hope he does go to Cleveland cause I'm tired of his antics. First it was the thing with the Knicks, now its Cleveland and all his double talk saying things like If I'm healthy enough to coach the only team I will coach is Detroit. So does that mean that if he's not healthy he will go to Cleveland or even if he is healthy he will go to Cleveland since it won't be to coach.

I understand why the people in Philly hate this guy now. He's a fantastic coach but he's way too high maintenance. Why on earth would you take the defending champs and turn their playoff run into a sideshow with all this nonsense. If he wants to go, fine - just for once it would be nice if he gave us a straight answer around here and I would be shocked if his appearance with Stoney and Wojo provides anything more than Clinton-speak about what he is or isn't or might be or might not be doing.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:21 PM   #12
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
As a Pistons fan I have two words for you..

Bill Laimbeer.

He'd be the perfect hire. You know the brand of Basketball he'd play. He still loves Detroit. The fans still love him. It's the perfect match.

I couldn't disagree more - this team needs a polished coach with alot of experience who can motivate well and draw up good plays. They already play the best defense in the league being coached by soft spoken Larry Brown (and Rick Carlisle before that) - we're not a bunch of softies who need a swift kick in the ass from one of the bad boys.

Daly would be a great choice if he was about 10 years younger. I wouldn't mind seeing Jackson here even though we won't pay that kind of money and he would want to live just about anywhere but Detroit. Maybe Flip Saunders would be a good fit - just not Laimbeer. I liked the guy as a player but he has zero NBA coaching experience and you don't hand a championship team to a guy with no experience.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:45 PM   #13
amdaily
College Prospect

As a Cleveland fan, this can only end in disaster for us.

Scenario: Larry Brown comes to Cleveland as team President. Him and owner Dan Gilbert force on the court decisions upon Mike Brown. We miss the playoffs yet again and Mike Brown takes the fall after 1 season. Larry Brown annouces he is healthy enough to coach again and will take over the Cavs job. He clashes with Lebron, who will by then be in his last contract year, and we miss the playoffs again. Lebron leaves for a big market via free agency and Larry Brown "retires"

Last edited by amdaily : 05-31-2005 at 12:45 PM.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:14 PM   #14
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
I couldn't disagree more - this team needs a polished coach with alot of experience who can motivate well and draw up good plays. They already play the best defense in the league being coached by soft spoken Larry Brown (and Rick Carlisle before that) - we're not a bunch of softies who need a swift kick in the ass from one of the bad boys.

Daly would be a great choice if he was about 10 years younger. I wouldn't mind seeing Jackson here even though we won't pay that kind of money and he would want to live just about anywhere but Detroit. Maybe Flip Saunders would be a good fit - just not Laimbeer. I liked the guy as a player but he has zero NBA coaching experience and you don't hand a championship team to a guy with no experience.

I think this is the best situation for Laimbeer. You give him a team of vets (8 of which are under contract for next year) who know what they're doing and can win games themselves while he learns the ropes.

I think the other alternative is Nate McMillon since I still don't think Seattle has, nor will, offer him a new contract. He has the experience, is young, and is coming off a season in which he got a lot from a team not expected to do much.

Jackson or Saunders, I don't know. Saunders would be good so we could see the young guys play, but he hasn't exactly accomplished much either. As far as Phil, well, It'd be interesting.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:26 PM   #15
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
I think this is the best situation for Laimbeer. You give him a team of vets (8 of which are under contract for next year) who know what they're doing and can win games themselves while he learns the ropes.

I think the other alternative is Nate McMillon since I still don't think Seattle has, nor will, offer him a new contract. He has the experience, is young, and is coming off a season in which he got a lot from a team not expected to do much.

Jackson or Saunders, I don't know. Saunders would be good so we could see the young guys play, but he hasn't exactly accomplished much either. As far as Phil, well, It'd be interesting.

Hell yeah it would be a great situation for Laimbeer - it would be a great situation for me if they named me the coach. But I'd rather see a great situation for the team - look at how the Pistons played when Brown missed games this year and that was with an assistant who had a little NBA head coaching experience and not to mention was working under LB.

McMillian is a better choice than Laimbeer although he didn't exactly teach much defense to Seattle so I'm not crazy about him. People can say what they want about Phil only winning because he had the best players (which to a degree is true) but he's the right fit - he knows how to motivate guys and can coach good teams to championships. If Rudy T is healthy I'd like to see him here as well and if neither of those guys I'd still go with Flip I think. I don't blame him for Minnesota this year - sooner or later Sprewell's antics were going to catch up with that team and McHale just has no clue about what he's doing.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:08 PM   #16
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm so pissed about the whole situation.

I say fire his ass regardless, put Daly in as interim during the playoffs, and then make the decision on a new coach before the draft.

My picks would be:

1. Bill Laimbeer - Regardless of the amount of polish he has, he would be a great choice. He's a hometown legend and would demand respect from the players since the fans love him so much. Not only that, he would be a great coach since he learned from one of the best - Chuck Daly.

2. Flip Saunders - Good coach who can develop players, unlike Brown.

3. Byron Scott - I just think he'd make the Pistons offense more interesting, and the guys on the team can already play D, so it'd just enhance the whole team in my opinion.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:13 PM   #17
johneh
Mascot

I think the Cavs are making a BIG mistake. Didn't Brown & LeBron have a bit of a falling out in the Olympics? The last thing the Cavs so do is make any move that LeBron won't be behind 100%. Especially when in a year or so Brown will want to coach again.
johneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:21 PM   #18
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Darko for player/coach!!!!
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:22 PM   #19
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Darko for player/coach!!!!

I'm down with that.

Darko's first team rule: Everyone must get their hair frosted.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:26 PM   #20
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Since I'm in the mood to throw around coaching analogies...Larry Brown is basketball's version of Bill Parcells.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:27 PM   #21
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty

I say fire his ass regardless, put Daly in as interim during the playoffs, and then make the decision on a new coach before the draft.

This is a noble idea however not a good one - we're down 2-1 as it is without home court now. The last thing we need to do is put a 75 year old man on the sidelines. Daly is one of my favorite coaches of all time and as cool as it would be to see Daddy Rich take over and lead the Pistons to another title it's just not realistic to think you can just insert someone who hasn't had anything to do with the organization for a decade and expect something good to come because of it. If you want Brown gone this minute you have to live with Gar Heard and I think in that case you just hope everyone can function without this being too big a distraction and get Brown out after the Finals because I'd much rather have LB drawing up the Xs and Os than Gar Heard.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:30 PM   #22
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Bill Laimbeer he led the Detroit Shock to a WNBA championship

Last edited by jbmagic : 05-31-2005 at 03:30 PM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:35 PM   #23
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I can so see Phil taking over Detroit should he want to. They are obviously close enough where as soon as he gets there they are title contenders (which they are without him.)

Personally, if Phil weren't interested I would be looking to get Flip to coach for a couple years. I honestly did not understand his firing to begin with amongst all the turmoil that his team was in the middle of. He was a very good coach in his tenure with Minnesota and he was not a guy who always had to be in the media spotlight, just someone who quietly does his job and goes home. Much like the persona of the current Piston team.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:35 PM   #24
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Bill Laimbeer he led the Detroit Shock to a WNBA championship

I coached my 9th grade boys high school team to the division championship two seasons ago - neither event makes you qualified to coach a NBA franchise though, especially the defending champions.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:40 PM   #25
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
I coached my 9th grade boys high school team to the division championship two seasons ago - neither event makes you qualified to coach a NBA franchise though, especially the defending champions.

I think that's off-base and way overboard.

Of coarse the WNBA isn't the same as the NBA, but X's and O's are X's and O's. He has a few years experience strategy-wise, plus he's been around the game for a long time and played under Daly. Not only that, but as an analyst, he's watched Larry coach a ton (in pratice as well).
Old 05-31-2005, 03:44 PM   #26
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
I think that's off-base and way overboard.

Of coarse the WNBA isn't the same as the NBA, but X's and O's are X's and O's.

Xs and Os are not Xs and Os - the difference between the NBA and WNBA is astounding in that regard (as in all others) - also its a WORLD of difference attempting to motivate men and women - I really think his WNBA experience matters very little.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:48 PM   #27
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Knicks are a better step for Laimbeer. They're just above WNBA level.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:49 PM   #28
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Xs and Os are not Xs and Os - the difference between the NBA and WNBA is astounding in that regard (as in all others) - also its a WORLD of difference attempting to motivate men and women - I really think his WNBA experience matters very little.

Regardless, Bill Laimbeer is an extremely intelligent guy who has been around and in the game for 30 years. Not only that, but he knows the Pistons organization as well as anyone in the league. I fail to believe that he would be a poor coach with the tools and players that he'd have. Add in the fact that Joe Dumars is the GM and Pres., and I see no reason why he wouldn't succeed.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:42 PM   #29
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily
As a Cleveland fan, this can only end in disaster for us.

Scenario: Larry Brown comes to Cleveland as team President. Him and owner Dan Gilbert force on the court decisions upon Mike Brown. We miss the playoffs yet again and Mike Brown takes the fall after 1 season. Larry Brown annouces he is healthy enough to coach again and will take over the Cavs job. He clashes with Lebron, who will by then be in his last contract year, and we miss the playoffs again. Lebron leaves for a big market via free agency and Larry Brown "retires"

Yep, my thoughts too. I'd rather us Hire Laimbeer or someone else to run the front office and let detroit keep Brown.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:55 PM   #30
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Why the hell does anyone listen to ESPN?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote