Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-26-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Fido and His Utilities

Was there some kind of break-up between Fido and the FOFC boards? I think I remember hearing something about this...

What's the best way to contact him regarding his utilities? I went to his website, but his email address their seems incorrect? Anyone know of a way to contact him directly?

Thanks!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

and like that.....he's gone.

I don't know the whole gist of the story, but I think he was making some really great utilities, but people were asking him, or pretty much bothering him about fixes and patches constantly. I think he got sick of it and vanished.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

Last edited by gottimd : 05-26-2005 at 06:35 PM.
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Last Activity: Yesterday 04:01 PM

I think he still comes around, but doesn't post. I'd guess he'd get a PM if you sent it.
or email: looks like there's a typo in the email link from his website (hint: domain is "fidosoft" not fisosoft...).
Old 05-26-2005, 07:15 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
I don't know the whole gist of the story, but I think he was making some really great utilities, but people were asking him, or pretty much bothering him about fixes and patches constantly. I think he got sick of it and vanished.

Pretty much. A couple of posters here (forget who, dunno if they still come around) pretty much went a little nutty (starting threads all of the time, bumping other threads, etc. asking, almost demanding, updates and reports on progress). I don't blame him one bit.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:20 PM   #5
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Pretty much. A couple of posters here (forget who, dunno if they still come around) pretty much went a little nutty (starting threads all of the time, bumping other threads, etc. asking, almost demanding, updates and reports on progress). I don't blame him one bit.

There's hardly anything much more stupid on Earth than people making huge demands on someone providing a service for free. "I know I'm reaping the benefit of something you are doing for free, but you better give me more now!"
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:19 PM   #6
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
There's hardly anything much more stupid on Earth than people making huge demands on someone providing a service for free. "I know I'm reaping the benefit of something you are doing for free, but you better give me more now!"

I see quotation marks. Who said that?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:19 PM   #7
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
I see quotation marks. Who said that?

HomerJSimpson did, duh!
you are totally losing your detective status.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I really don't think it went down like this, but if you want to leave this thought in people's minds... go right ahead.

Some newer users asked questions and didn't know Fido's personality.. so like most people who release utilities, questions were asked to the creator and although Fido stated he didn't want to be bothered.. you know people are going to pester.. especially since his utilities were as good as they were/are. Heck, without TCY helper.. I would have never discovered how fun TCY is.

Just check somewhere like the ootp forums in the mods section if you want to see what utility makers go though when they announce a utility for ootp. You open yourself up to it...

Maybe one or two folks went a tad beyond normal pestering, but I don't think it was anything like the posters from other forums. It's too bad, he's damn good at utilities and a plus to this community.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-26-2005 at 08:45 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:47 PM   #9
Joe
Pro Starter

I'd say something, but I don't want to be suspended again. Watch what you say about skydog's golden boy.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:50 PM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
I'd say something, but I don't want to be suspended again. Watch what you say about skydog's golden boy.

Get hit by a car.

Last edited by stevew : 05-26-2005 at 08:51 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #11
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Get hit by a car.

cowboy up?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:40 PM   #12
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Maybe one or two folks went a tad beyond normal pestering, but I don't think it was anything like the posters from other forums. It's too bad, he's damn good at utilities and a plus to this community.

I'd also throw out there that this thread kind of makes it sound like Dave just took his ball and went home after getting repeatedly badgered. I think BOTH parts of that is a bit of an overstatement
Old 05-26-2005, 09:45 PM   #13
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Just check somewhere like the ootp forums in the mods section if you want to see what utility makers go though when they announce a utility for ootp. You open yourself up to it...

That's right. That is why you should never program anything usefull and give it away for free. You're just asking for it.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:47 PM   #14
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
That's right. That is why you should never program anything usefull and give it away for free. You're just asking for it.
Yep.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:48 PM   #15
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

BTW, I'm not really talking about the Fido situation (know less than nothing about it), but have seen many other utilities makers run out of releasing nice programs because of the constant idiotic badgering, and people that feel like they are some how "entitled" to something.

Last edited by HomerJSimpson : 05-26-2005 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:02 PM   #16
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
BTW, I'm not really talking about the Fido situation (know less than nothing about it), but have seen many other utilities makers run out of releasing nice programs because of the constant idiotic badgering, and people that feel like they are some how "entitled" to something.

[sov]
ok, now who said "entitled"?
[/sov]
Old 05-26-2005, 10:09 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Welcome to the real world.. and the internet.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-26-2005 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:12 PM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Wrong, you do it because you love doing it and you want to annouce it to people who love the game as much as you do. It should be expected the kind of grief that's possible when releasing such things.

If you don't want that kind of badgering.. send out PM's and special invites ONLY.. which he did, but by then it was too late.

Todd
Old 05-26-2005, 11:08 PM   #19
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I really don't think it went down like this, but if you want to leave this thought in people's minds... go right ahead.

I talked to Fido a bit through PMs and over IM before he "vanished", so what I said is a little more than just a message board spectator's view. What I said pretty much goes off of what Fido told me. (So yeah, it's a biased view, but considering the behaivor of the pesterers in public, I don't have a reason not to trust Fido when he said his emails and PMs were more over the top.)

Quote:
I know. That's why I don't make utilities for FOF. I'd like too, but I see what happens and I like to avoid headaches. This is why the only utility I have made in quite some time was for TBCB. (Smaller, older community there)

Last edited by sabotai : 05-26-2005 at 11:09 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:51 PM   #20
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's why I don't make utilities for FOF.

Is it really? That's awesome.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:19 AM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I talked to Fido a bit through PMs and over IM before he "vanished", so what I said is a little more than just a message board spectator's view. What I said pretty much goes off of what Fido told me. (So yeah, it's a biased view, but considering the behaivor of the pesterers in public, I don't have a reason not to trust Fido when he said his emails and PMs were more over the top.)

I know. That's why I don't make utilities for FOF. I'd like too, but I see what happens and I like to avoid headaches. This is why the only utility I have made in quite some time was for TBCB. (Smaller, older community there)

You had insight that I, nor others had.

If it was really out of hand with some users, then that's truly a shame. Pubically, Fido seemed a bit too sensitive.. but that's not the point. I'll continue to say it's a shame he doesn't participate anymore and he's missed by many people here. It's obvious he's sharp and I'm lucky to have the utilites he did make.

If I could program utilities I would, headache or no headache. Just think of what someone like Markus has to go through.

Todd
Old 05-27-2005, 07:49 AM   #22
Loki
Banned

This kind of makes you wonder how many other cool utils are out there, but are unavailable to us all because of the trouble it causes.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:09 AM   #23
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Would there be a way for people to post Mods somewhere and stay anonymous?
Old 05-27-2005, 08:49 AM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Now that's an idea.

Todd
Old 05-27-2005, 08:52 AM   #25
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

Not so sure about that one, he/she would have to at least be visible to the moderator. Otherwise some unscrupulous person would post viruses or other problem programs under the guise of 'mods'.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:00 AM   #26
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Not so sure about that one, he/she would have to at least be visible to the moderator. Otherwise some unscrupulous person would post viruses or other problem programs under the guise of 'mods'.

What if, if SD had no objections, they sent the mods to him, and they were posted on Sportplanet? The only problem I see with that, is that skydog would become the "go to" guy that everyone bothered with questions about patches and updates.

We could adopt the "fight club" rules in regards to the fixes...

1. First rule of "Utilities club" is don't talk about utilities.

Last edited by gottimd : 05-27-2005 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:34 AM   #27
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

My advice to mod/utility writers.

If folks contacting you is an issue (for whatever reason) before you make your work known you need to setup a few buffer zones.

1) create an alter ego. Have fun with it. Call yourself something like Julius Randolph McFontane and photoshop an image of a famous person from the 19th century and claim it as you. Make liberal use of blur and blur more.

2) DON'T register a web site and have the whois information contain your actual address and name.

3) create a hotmail, gmail, whatever-mail account that is hard to remember. E.g., [email protected] and change it often. They are going to have to work to get in contact with you.

4) this one is key -- create a new user on any forums on which you wish to distribute the material. You may have to explain to any admins why your IP address suddenly has 2 logins coming from it, but if they are cool they will respect and keep your alter ego private. If you cannot trust them (i.e., they will tell everyone that FondlerOnTheRoof73 is actually you) then all this may be for naught.

5) don't ever ever ever let it slip that you are the other person. Your alter ego is likely to be very popular and you may be tempted to "come out" but being that "folks contacting you is an issue" and it is bound to solicit a few whackos that will bug you---don't do it.

This way, if folks do contact you all you have to do is drop that portion of your life. Don't log into that email account. Let the forum account dry up. Nobody is the wiser.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #28
Subby
lolzcat

6) Buy extra panties.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:52 AM   #29
Flasch186
Coordinator

dont be offended if someone reports a "bug"....hello? a person making a utility, I would think, would want to hear about bugs....look at Greg. He is all over his utility like white on Rice on Fast and Furirice!!

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:55 AM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

7) Take your ball and go home.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:00 AM   #31
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

If you are someone that likes having utilities written for your favorite games, keep this important fact in mind:

Treat the utility writer with some respect - if someone writes a useful utility program for your favorite game, be happy and remember that the person that wrote the utility had no obligation to share their creation with the rest of us. If you like having cool utilities written for your games, don't be an ass to them.

If you are someone that writes utilities, keep this important fact in mind:

When dealing with the general populace, you will more than likely have to deal with some jerks - it's just the nature of the beast. Grow some thick skin and try not to let the few assholes out there get to you, and focus instead on all the grateful users of your programs.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:15 AM   #32
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
dont be offended if someone reports a "bug"....hello? a person making a utility, I would think, would want to hear about bugs....look at Greg. He is all over his utility like white on Rice on Fast and Furirice!!
Four out of five times, it isn't a specific bug. It's workstation specific problem because the person is running xxx operating system or has xxx installed or doesn't have xxx installed or they just doesn't read the help file. Writing an application is only one part of a developer's job...the other part is making sure the app will run on the user's workstation.

In my job, all the workstations I write for are identical...therefore, I rarely have any concerns about making sure this dll is installed or their on a certain service pack or whatever else. Releasing an app on a forum like this means that your code will be run on dozens and dozens of different machines with dozen and dozens configurations. That's a major concern for guys like Jim and he'll do the necesary work to make his product function through those errors because it's his livelihood. For someone writing things for free, there is no payoff to spending hours making sure something works on every machine. All you get are repeated PM's and emails asking for help on cleaning up their computer. It can be frustrating.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:19 AM   #33
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Four out of five times, it isn't a specific bug. It's workstation specific problem because the person is running xxx operating system or has xxx installed or doesn't have xxx installed or they just doesn't read the help file. Writing an application is only one part of a developer's job...the other part is making sure the app will run on the user's workstation.

In my job, all the workstations I write for are identical...therefore, I rarely have any concerns about making sure this dll is installed or their on a certain service pack or whatever else. Releasing an app on a forum like this means that your code will be run on dozens and dozens of different machines with dozen and dozens configurations. That's a major concern for guys like Jim and he'll do the necesary work to make his product function through those errors because it's his livelihood. For someone writing things for free, there is no payoff to spending hours making sure something works on every machine. All you get are repeated PM's and emails asking for help on cleaning up their computer. It can be frustrating.

ok, but wouldn't you want to know (at least in the beginning)? I mean, no offense, but Ill bet the majority of utility writers are perfectionists to a degree) and would view a bug (even if it was someone's interaction with said utility) as a challenge. Perhaps Im wrong, because i am not a perfectionist, and I mean no offense to Fido as I came in just as he was leaving....and maybe thats why i dont understand.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-27-2005, 10:20 AM   #34
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97

DOLA

after reading this again, I see your point. Its the free part thats important here.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 05-27-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:21 AM   #35
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
My advice to mod/utility writers.

If folks contacting you is an issue (for whatever reason) before you make your work known you need to setup a few buffer zones.

1) create an alter ego. Have fun with it. Call yourself something like Julius Randolph McFontane and photoshop an image of a famous person from the 19th century and claim it as you. Make liberal use of blur and blur more.

2) DON'T register a web site and have the whois information contain your actual address and name.

3) create a hotmail, gmail, whatever-mail account that is hard to remember. E.g., [email protected] and change it often. They are going to have to work to get in contact with you.

4) this one is key -- create a new user on any forums on which you wish to distribute the material. You may have to explain to any admins why your IP address suddenly has 2 logins coming from it, but if they are cool they will respect and keep your alter ego private. If you cannot trust them (i.e., they will tell everyone that FondlerOnTheRoof73 is actually you) then all this may be for naught.

5) don't ever ever ever let it slip that you are the other person. Your alter ego is likely to be very popular and you may be tempted to "come out" but being that "folks contacting you is an issue" and it is bound to solicit a few whackos that will bug you---don't do it.

This way, if folks do contact you all you have to do is drop that portion of your life. Don't log into that email account. Let the forum account dry up. Nobody is the wiser.

Awful lot of hassle to go through for someone who simply wants to share something they created.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:30 AM   #36
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I don't think you should have to go through that kind of a hassle. It wasn't "folks contacting" Fido that drove him underground; it was folks being abusive, threatening and stepping over the line. He provided an awesome utility for free and said it was as-is -- he wasn't in a position to make sure it worked in every environment. Then a couple of people attacked him for not helping them to make it run on their machines and attacked him for not making an upgrade and he washed his hands of it. It was a few rotten 12 ruining it for the other million.

I understand that's the reality of the situation -- if you don't want the hassle you have to be annonymous. People are just losers.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:33 AM   #37
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
People are just losers.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-27-2005, 11:20 AM   #38
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

I've been fortunate in that no one pesters me on a daily basis asking when the next version of Extractor will be out...

And I really want to know what "furirice" is. Does rice grow mold?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:33 AM   #39
Flasch186
Coordinator

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 05-27-2005, 11:38 AM   #40
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

for what its worth, who was it that bothered Fido ? I remember someone getting banned regarding this...
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:41 AM   #41
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Awful lot of hassle to go through for someone who simply wants to share something they created.
I was putting so much pressure on it that my tongue popped through the side of my face.

However, it does look like sage advice.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:50 AM   #42
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Sounds like pretty much exactly what happened to Jeff Cato on the OOTP Boards, which is a shame because his OOTP History program is easily the best mod the game has, IMO.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 05-27-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:55 AM   #43
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755
Sounds like pretty much exactly what happened to Jeff Cato on the OOTP Boards, which is a shame because his OOTP History program is easily the best mod the game has, IMO.

where's the love?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:56 AM   #44
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
where's the love?
Please.

Everybody knows that facepacks are non-essential to OOTP.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:06 PM   #45
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755
Please.

Everybody knows that facepacks are non-essential to OOTP.

obviously, you've never seen SkyDog's work.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:09 PM   #46
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
I was putting so much pressure on it that my tongue popped through the side of my face.

However, it does look like sage advice.

Sorry BG. My computer monitor must've blocked my view. Too bad. That would've been quite a sight to see!
Old 05-27-2005, 12:10 PM   #47
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
obviously, you've never seen SkyDog's work.

Wait...who's work?

Oh, nevermind.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:11 PM   #48
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Sorry BG. My computer monitor must've blocked my view. Too bad. That would've been quite a sight to see!
Hurthhs lith a bithh!
Old 06-15-2005, 12:33 PM   #49
Fido
High School Varsity

Quote:
You're right, looking back it wasn't as bad as it seemed and I overreacted. There were some people (very few indeed) who didn't seem to get the concept of "My life is pretty hectic right now, I'll try to fix that when I have soem spare time". All that mattered to them was that the utility (whichever one it was) wasn't working right and that affected their enjoyment. The reality of the matter was it was just a really stressful time in my life, I snapped, was slapped back in line (deservedly so), but handled that like a baby - picked up my shit and went home. That really is the bottom line.

Quote:

Yup.

Quote:
Wrong, you do it because you love doing it and you want to annouce it to people who love the game as much as you do.

I did it because I loved the games and found some things a bit lacking which was affecting my ability to enjoy the games. So I wrote things for ME. The ones that I thought were good I told people about - the others...well...those usually got deleted after corrupting saved games.

Quote:
I talked to Fido a bit through PMs and over IM
Liar!!! I never IMed you (hopefully people will read that with the humor intended when I wrote it).

Quote:
Pubically, Fido seemed a bit too sensitive.. but that's not the point.
"a bit too sensitive" Wow - that has to be one of the most generous comments I've read about it. My reachions were no better than a 4 yr old.

Quote:
dont be offended if someone reports a "bug"....hello? a person making a utility, I would think, would want to hear about bug

I tried to be. What got to me was people who reported bugs but yet had no interest at all in providing me with any of the data files that they were using. Trying to reverse the contents of the data files is a lot of hit and miss, and my average on them was like a pitchers batting average. It was the people who complained through PMs, e-mail and on the open boards and ignored my requests for files that git to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Grow some thick skin and try not to let the few assholes out there get to you, and focus instead on all the grateful users of your programs.

Wise words, and one of my biggest failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
It wasn't "folks contacting" Fido that drove him underground; it was...

Nah - it was other things that nobody here had any knowledge of. The pestering was just a straw that made me walk away. And when I did, things happened to get better (coincidentally that is - Not implying any relation between the two). Fact is, by that time, I wasn't even playing any of the FOF games anymore. Free time was spent replying to PMs or E-Mails, or fixing bugs. It had become like a second job which soured me off of FOF all together and still has - its been well over a year since I've played either FOF or TCY, and don't even thnk I have either installed on any computer anymore.

While some may have seemed abuive or rude, 99% of the comments that were made back then were 100% spot on. I was being an ass and I got called on it. Not the first time its happened to me, and it won't be the last. Learn from it and move on, right?

To me the worst thing about it all was the most recent BS. To have people express such "hate" (not sure of a better word so I'll go with that) a year removed from my last post was a bit shocking., but funny at the same time. The fact that SD reacted the way he did...well, that's a whole other story (and far less amusing). But...Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...and that's definately not me.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:45 PM   #50
3ric
College Starter

Good to hear your side of it, and I'm glad you aren't gone forever...