Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-26-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
jshipman2
Banned

FOF: Playing Time

Can someone tell me any experiences they've had at setting playing time for players? I want my starters to get the most playing time without getting hurt. So are 5's and 6's the way to go or should I set it higher like 7's or 8's? I just had the computer set my offense and Koren Robinson has excellent endurance and great ratings and the computer set his playing time to 2! What gives?

jshipman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

Well, keep in mind that a '1' means a player will get subbed out about half the time. So even at a 2, Koren Robinson is still gonna play just over half the snaps.

As for the rest of it, I have absolutely no empirical evidence to support it, but I've generally set PT for my guys based on their endurance rating. A rating in the 60s, I set at 6, a rating in the 70s, I might set at 7, etc.

But it depends on how talented my backups are and whether I want them getting a sniff of the action or not, too.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think the primary factor guiding how your staff will set playing time is the difference in talent between your starter and primary backup. In the case you describe, the WR slotted behind Robinson was probably pretty good -- so the depth chart was set to ensure that the backup got playing tiem as well. If Robinson was a lot better than the backup, his playing time would have been higher.

I've never noticed any connection to player endurance, though there could be one as well.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:35 PM   #4
Dutch
"Dutch"

I am beginning to think that player endurance is a factor. But that's only a hunch at this point.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #5
jshipman2
Banned

It is Peerless Price
jshipman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
jbmagic
Pro Starter

so if i want my #2 RB to get alot of carries and share time with my #1 RB i should set the playing time to 1 for RB#1?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:53 PM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
so if i want my #2 RB to get alot of carries and share time with my #1 RB i should set the playing time to 1 for RB#1?

Give it a try, I think that should work pretty well.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:55 PM   #8
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i notice too if you have QB at 5 he plays pretty much the whole game. the same if you had playing time at 9 for QB. so there was no difference

So it seems like playing time setting depends on player position too.

Last edited by jbmagic : 05-26-2005 at 03:59 PM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:46 PM   #9
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Yes. Another thing you to get your backup some playing time is go to the gameplan section and make him the primary RB in some of the formations.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 05:10 PM   #10
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Be careful with this. Different positions are substituted at different rates, and RB's seem to get subbed a lot. I had my playing time for RB#1 set to three, and my third string RB was getting in the game alot, including running the ball on 4th and 1 in the fourth which lost the game for me.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote