Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2005, 04:49 PM   #1
Joe
Pro Starter

Onterrio Smith Suspended For The Season?

Looks that way..

Quote:
Published reports indicate that Vikings' running back Onterrio Smith has been suspended for the entire 2005 season. The WCCO-TV website cited unidentified Vikings' players as the sources of the information.

Smith entered the offseason with two strikes against him in the NFL's substance abuse program. He served a four-game suspension last season after failing a drug test. Then, last month, he was detained at the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport when airport police found a kit designed to circumvent drug testing in his luggage.

Airport police identified the item as the Original Whizzinator kit, which sparked widespread joking among fans and eventually led the United States Congress to investigate the manufacturers of such items. Smith admitted to authorities that the device is used "for making a clean urine test," but claimed that it belonged to his cousin. He was eventually released without being charged with a crime.

Initially, Smith's lawyer David Cornwell told the media that he did not believe his client faced a suspension. Cornwell, who also represents retired running back and admitted marijuana user Ricky Williams, reasoned that Smith had not been caught using the kit while submitting to a drug test, and therefore had not violated the league's substance abuse policy.

The NFL opened an investigation into the matter last week. However, even league spokesman Greg Aiello wasn't sure whether Smith could be punished. "Under the terms of our policy, a deliberate attempt to substitute or alter a specimen during collection is a violation," Aiello told the Star Tribune last week. "But the possession of paraphernalia outside a testing situation will be investigated and action taken if appropriate."

However, the ESPN website is reporting that Smith missed a scheduled test, which is considered a failed test under the guidelines of the policy. The league has not commented on that matter, but reports indicate that the suspension is not related to Smith's airport misadventure.

The difference between the two possible causes of suspension is that Smith's lawyer would almost certainly appeal if his client was punished based on the airport incident. Contrarily, if Smith did indeed fail another test, there's very little doubt that his season-long suspension would be upheld, assuming he even bothered to file an appeal, which he has five days to submit.

If the suspension is upheld, Vikings' running back Michael Bennett can breath a sigh of relief. Tice previously declared the starting running back position up for grabs heading into training camp. Bennett is the incumbent starter and has been taking all of the first-team reps during minicamp, but he was expected to receive a strong challenge from Smith this summer.

Although his strongest competition appears to have fallen by the wayside, Bennett will still be pushed by second-year running back Mewelde Moore and rookie Ciatrick Fason. Bennett is the favorite to win the job, but he's also missed 18 starts over the last two seasons due to injuries.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If this guy didn't have talent, I shudder to think what kind of life he'd be living right now.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
If this guy didn't have talent, I shudder to think what kind of life he'd be living right now.

What the hell does that mean? The guy likes pot, not six year-old boys.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
What the hell does that mean? The guy likes pot, not six year-old boys.

No it's apparent the guy isn't too bright if he is willing to throw away millions just to get high. And this is after two slaps on the wrist. He's a full fledged moron. There is no disputing it.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Well go on and finish your statement then. What kind of life do you think a guy that likes to smoke pot would live then? It's apparent that had you been in the his shoes you wouldn't have made the same decision. You know this because you were oh so close to getting that scholly to Tennessee yourself, right?
Old 05-19-2005, 05:09 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Well go on and finish your statement then. What kind of life do you think a guy that likes to smoke pot would live then? It's apparent that had you been in the his shoes you wouldn't have made the same decision. You know this because you were oh so close to getting that scholly to Tennessee yourself, right?

If you're going to smoke pot, thats fine. I know plenty of people that do. But if smoking pot is more important to you then your job, your priorities are oh so in order.

And no I would not have made the same decesions because I made the choice not to smoke pot. So sorry if I can't sympathize with a guy throwing away his lively hood for a year over getting high.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:13 PM   #7
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Shit, I didn't ask you to sympathize. Did Onterrio call you up and ask you to sympathize? Maybe Ricky?
Old 05-19-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And to dola.

If pot is more important to you then football, then Smith should just take the Ricky Williams way out. The drug rules are there for a reason. Just because he is a football player doesn't mean he should get it both ways, so pick one and be done with it.

If he's happy with the choice he made, then no one can take that from him.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:14 PM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Shit, I didn't ask you to sympathize. Did Onterrio call you up and ask you to sympathize? Maybe Ricky?

Nah, Onterrio only called me up to try and score.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #10
General Mike
Pro Starter

Didn't he get kicked out of the college he went to before Oregon as well?
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #11
DeToxRox
Head Coach

But anyways. This thread is now becoming rediculously off topic, and half of it's my doing so I apologize and I'll leave this one to whoever else has something of substance to add to it.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:20 PM   #12
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
If pot is more important to you then football, then Smith should just take the Ricky Williams way out. The drug rules are there for a reason. Just because he is a football player doesn't mean he should get it both ways, so pick one and be done with it.

Hey, I agree. There are rules to abide by. I just don't go as far as making personal judgements on these guys; I've never been in their shoes. Robert Smith walked early. Maybe he's stupid, maybe he even smoked the reefer. Maybe being a professional athlete really isn't as fun and glorious as we make it out to be.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:20 PM   #13
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And to dola.

If pot is more important to you then football, then Smith should just take the Ricky Williams way out. The drug rules are there for a reason.

What reason is that ? They aren't performance enhancers. You can shoot a guy, be convicted of involuntary manslaughter, and you're not subject to league punishment. The rules are there because of the self-righteous nature of pricks who think smoking weed makes one useless (for what its worth, I don't smoke). The league should not be regulating recreational drug usage.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 05-19-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:37 PM   #14
cody8200
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
What reason is that ? They aren't performance enhancers. You can shoot a guy, be convicted of involuntary manslaughter, and you're not subject to league punishment. The rules are there because of the self-righteous nature of pricks who think smoking weed makes one useless (for what its worth, I don't smoke). The league should not be regulating recreational drug usage.

Its against the law. How about that for a reason the league should regulate it. I think anyway who fails a drug test should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. They are just athletes...not politicians. They are not above the law.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:59 PM   #15
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Dredd
Its against the law. How about that for a reason the league should regulate it. I think anyway who fails a drug test should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. They are just athletes...not politicians. They are not above the law.

You are the law!
Old 05-19-2005, 08:07 PM   #16
Desnudo
Coordinator

Sounds like it would be an effective deterrent:

"Petty Misdemeanor. Possession of a small amount of marijuana (1.5 ounces) is a petty misdemeanor. though petty misdemeanors are not considered "crimes", it is punishable by a fine of up to $200 and attendance at an approved drug education program. A second conviction within two years under this section would be enhanced to a misdemeanor which is a crime and carries with it potential jail time"
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:05 PM   #17
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

I just wonder how many roofers making $7.50/hr who smoke pot regularly are out there who would gladly give dope up for the chance at playing a game like football for the kind of $$ Mr. Smith is getting. In other words, Mr Smith is a complete dumba$$

Last edited by Leonidas : 05-19-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:11 PM   #18
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
Didn't he get kicked out of the college he went to before Oregon as well?

Yes. Phillip Fulmer didnt want him near his program. That does say a lot
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:14 PM   #19
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
I just wonder how many roofers making $7.50/hr who smoke pot regularly are out there who would gladly give dope up for the chance at playing a game like football for the kind of $$ Mr. Smith is getting. In other words, Mr Smith is a complete dumba$$

Yes, because those roofers are fucking resillient and ambitious, right?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:21 PM   #20
McSweeny
College Starter

who only makes 7.50 an hour doing roofing?
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:27 PM   #21
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny

The ones that are pre-supplied with the no-cancer suits.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:57 PM   #22
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe there is actually an argument about whether or not a guy who chose weed over X millions of dollars was or wasn't smart.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:57 PM   #23
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, I hope his cousin was able to get by without his Whizzinator, at least.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:01 PM   #24
Joe
Pro Starter

it obviously wasn't his cousin. he meant his lawyer's other client, being Ricky Williams.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:15 PM   #25
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
I can't believe there is actually an argument about whether or not a guy who chose weed over X millions of dollars was or wasn't smart.

I bet your opinion of 'smart' vastly differs from mine.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:22 PM   #26
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips

I don't know, I bet with a million dollars you could buy some really nice weed.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:58 AM   #27
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Not true.

You are subject to league punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:35 AM   #28
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny

That's what I made when I did it, but that was 20 years ago.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #29
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Yeah, but have you ever put up shingles..... ON WEED???
Old 05-20-2005, 10:33 AM   #30
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
it obviously wasn't his cousin.

Is cousin some kind of slang? When I was a substitute teacher, some of my students would see a kid walk by on the hallway, and they'd say that they need to go talk to that guy because he's their cousin. No way all those kids could be cousins!

Last edited by Passacaglia : 05-20-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #31
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B
Yeah, but have you ever put up shingles..... ON WEED???

If I'm on a roof for any reason, drugs would have to be involved.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #32
Blackadar
Retired

Busted

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7877873/
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:04 PM   #33
GroundCat
Banned

I smoked a little weed once.

Oregon called and offered me a scholorship.
GroundCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:15 PM   #34
jamesUMD
High School JV

I also think that he isan idiot for getting caught a 3rd time when he knew what the consequences were. It's against the law and therefore should be regulated by the league.

Mind you, I'm not saying that he's an idiot, just an idiot for getting caught. You have to be able to prioritize in life and obviously smoking dope took priority over making extremely good money and playing football.

Maybe he figured he could handle the punishment for getting caught for the 1st offense and maybe even the 2nd. By time the 3rd comes up he is basically saying weed is more important than football, which I think makes him an idiot (mainly because most peoples priorities would be ordered differently), but hey, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime"!
Old 06-07-2005, 07:01 PM   #35
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

man, he's really pissing his career away
Old 06-07-2005, 07:21 PM   #36
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
man, he's really pissing his career away

Well played.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:23 PM   #37
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
man, he's really pissing his football career* away

*paralysis and serious injury are possible

Fixed.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:11 PM   #38
jamesUMD
High School JV

But I don't doubt that he received a top notch education from college. I mean he got to attend not 1, but 2 schools!!!!