Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

OT: Is there anything worse then Mustard? (AKA The Phobia Thread)

Okay. I just realized how much I detest mustard, to the point where I have asked a waitress at a resauraunt to move it off a table no one was at across from mine. I have NEVER been Col. Mustard in Clue, it's that bad.

I have no other what I would call "disorders". Everything else I can take in stride, but I swear, Mustard is the bane of my existence. How people can eat that is beyond me. It's so, so bad. Ugh.

So, I outed myself. What other "phobias" run amuck on FOFC?

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Okay. I just realized how much I detest mustard, to the point where I have asked a waitress at a resauraunt to move it off a table no one was at across from mine. I have NEVER been Col. Mustard in Clue, it's that bad.

I have no other what I would call "disorders". Everything else I can take in stride, but I swear, Mustard is the bane of my existence. How people can eat that is beyond me. It's so, so bad. Ugh.

So, I outed myself. What other "phobias" run amuck on FOFC?

Oh and since RadioFriendly confronted me about this calling me Rake Yohn from Jackass (Deathly afraid of mustard) I would probably say I am as bad. I refuse to eat White Castle burgers until someone else makes sure there is no mustard on them. It's that bad.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

When I was about 4 years old, my aunt babysat me and put on the shitty horror movie "Dolls", which, as you guessed, is about dolls that come to life and kill people. Well, after my viewing of this movie, and countless subsequent nightmares, I became paranoid of dolls. As a kid, I would watch any dolls in the room just to make sure they didn't move, blink, twitch, or brandish weapons. I made my mom pack up her doll collection until I was about 15, and even now I take second glances at them.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #4
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

I have a deathly fear of spiders, bees, and other creepy crawlies. Thats probably not very weird though. One quirk of mine involves my extrememe dislike for the sound and texture of popsicle sticks, they drive me crazy.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:23 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity
I have a deathly fear of spiders, bees, and other creepy crawlies. Thats probably not very weird though. One quirk of mine involves my extrememe dislike for the sound and texture of popsicle sticks, they drive me crazy.

yeah I can see where the sound of those popsicle sticks would get annoying.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:24 PM   #6
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

My three year old will not go to sleep if there are any monkeys in the room, real or stuffed.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:27 PM   #7
AlexB
Pro Starter

Bees/wasps for me as well, as well as people waving things in front of my face: I'm a very calm, non-violent person, but if people start waving their hands or arms close to my face, even with no hint of violent intent, I become very aggressive.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:28 PM   #8
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
My three year old will not go to sleep if there are any monkeys in the room, real or stuffed.

There has been a case in his three years when there's been a real monkey in his room?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:29 PM   #9
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

bananas

can't eat them, can't be around when someone else is eating them, can't handle them if they are rotten, nor can I handle discarded peels.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:32 PM   #10
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
bananas

can't eat them, can't be around when someone else is eating them, can't handle them if they are rotten, nor can I handle discarded peels.

I see someone in the vain of my mustard hate. I can't blame you.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:34 PM   #11
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Clowns...have always been terrified of them.

I also hate bananas, but more because of the smell/taste than a deep seeded phobia, but basically I feel like I am going to vomit if I smell anything banana-y...
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:38 PM   #12
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Ive never understood how people can eat bananas. Ive tried on many occasions and their consistency seems to trigger my gag reflex.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:40 PM   #13
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Ive never understood how people can eat bananas. Ive tried on many occasions and their consistency seems to trigger my gag reflex.

Pix plz, thx.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:40 PM   #14
TLK
Pro Starter

Tony George
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:41 PM   #15
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
There has been a case in his three years when there's been a real monkey in his room?
Not yet, but she isn't taking any chances. She has a stuffed sock monkey named Carlos who she likes otherwise, but she will go as far as to verbally confirm with me that Carlos is downstairs in the playroom when she goes to sleep. All other monkeys are also down there.

Last edited by judicial clerk : 05-16-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:42 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Needles. For real. And I'm not talking about a run of the mill "I don't like needles", we're talking "You wanna stick me with that thing you better bring a lunch, a priest & some backup." They fully triggers my most basic flight-or-fight response, to the point of having decked several nurses in my life & once trying to go out a 3rd story window.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #17
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Dola:

maybe she read that thread about the moneky who chewed off that guys foot and his nads.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:47 PM   #18
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

DeToxRoxDVHStyle thats disgusting lol
Old 05-16-2005, 07:48 PM   #19
Tigercat
College Starter

I am a very outdoors type person. I do a lot of hiking and camping. I've stepped over alligators, hidden from nearby bears, and been harassed by aggresive bobcats. I don't care about things like that(perhaps adding to my own stupidity), but I HATE spiders. Sure if I can see the spider beforehand and identify it its no big deal, but if I walk through a web I didn't see and feel its inhabitent on my neck I do a freaked out dance. I think its the whole idea that it could be poisoness and hurt me, and its just such a stupid and sucky way of getting hurt, being bitten by a little bug. Little bastards.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:04 PM   #20
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I see someone in the vain of my mustard hate. I can't blame you.

I love mustard though...
Old 05-16-2005, 08:05 PM   #21
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
I am a very outdoors type person. I do a lot of hiking and camping. I've stepped over alligators, hidden from nearby bears, and been harassed by aggresive bobcats. I don't care about things like that(perhaps adding to my own stupidity), but I HATE spiders. Sure if I can see the spider beforehand and identify it its no big deal, but if I walk through a web I didn't see and feel its inhabitent on my neck I do a freaked out dance. I think its the whole idea that it could be poisoness and hurt me, and its just such a stupid and sucky way of getting hurt, being bitten by a little bug. Little bastards.

I'm the same way about Spiders. Actually I was on a delivery one night and when I went to ring the door bell I saw this huge yellow and black spider over the doorbell. Luckily the family was watching for me near the door because I almost beat the spider to death with their pizzas.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:34 PM   #22
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Another vote for spiders. Last summer these huge spiders decided to camp out around my house. There were about 5 that were longer than an inch and half somewhere around my house. It was kind if interesting watching the one outside my window since there was a piece of glass separating us, but I got the they gave me the heebee jeebies when I went outside. But then something even more gastly happened.

This big, black burly spider crawled across my closet door. I caught it out of the corner of my eye and it ran into the closet. It took me quite awhile, slowly moving things out of the closet before I managed to catch it. However the very next night, another spider that looked just like it ran across my desk right under my monitor (clearly trying to eat me). Needless to say the spider ended up a little more squished than it was before. However, it took awhile for me to feel comfortable in my room after those two nights. Even now, about 10 months later I still think I see things out of the corner of my eye crawling across my closet door.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:35 PM   #23
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Bologna and Brussel Sprouts. I will gag on command just by looking at either one.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:37 PM   #24
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Seeing snakes makes me go wierd.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:39 PM   #25
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My food phobia is melons - all kinds. Just the smell of a cantalope or honey dew would start me gagging.

Sea Boogers and Whole Belly Clams are a close second.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:40 PM   #26
QuikSand
lolzcat

Have a wander through this old list of same:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ad.php?t=11964

And yes... I did search on the term "soup sandwich" to dig that up, if you must ask.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:41 PM   #27
Vince
Pro Starter

Brussel Sprouts are awesome.

Personally, I have yet to come accross anything remotely close to these types of 'phobias,' however I can't stand mushrooms once they are cooked. The texture of a cooked mushroom is horrible.

Raw white mushrooms in salad, however, and I'm fine. Once they are cooked...ugh.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:43 PM   #28
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Brussel Sprouts are awesome.

Personally, I have yet to come accross anything remotely close to these types of 'phobias,' however I can't stand mushrooms once they are cooked. The texture of a cooked mushroom is horrible.

Raw white mushrooms in salad, however, and I'm fine. Once they are cooked...ugh.

That's what I love about diversity - some many opposite likes and dislikes. For example, I love spiders, snakes, mustard and cooked mushrooms.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:53 PM   #29
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
For example, I love spiders, snakes, mustard and cooked mushrooms.
...with some fava beans and a nice chianti?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:57 PM   #30
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

I love brussel sprouts too, my mom made them taste so good with butter and salt. Kind of like mini cabbages.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:13 PM   #31
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I will not eat tomatoes in their normal, disgusting, seedy form.

I love tomato soup and I enjoy my fries with some ketchup (and catsup, too), but I cannot fathom eating anything that resembles the texture of a raw tomato. Any salsa or spaghetti sauce I have cannot be 'chunky' or I will just have to do without. Tomatoes are freaking disgusting.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:14 PM   #32
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I love mustard though...

haha, well I eat bananas. so agree to disagree.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:25 PM   #33
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97

I love tomato soup and I enjoy my fries with some ketchup (and catsup, too), but I cannot fathom eating anything that resembles the texture of a raw tomato. Any salsa or spaghetti sauce I have cannot be 'chunky' or I will just have to do without. Tomatoes are freaking disgusting.

i felt this way too for...24 years of my life. And then I went to Italy. And now I'll eat raw tomatoes like frikkin apples. They're good. In salads, in caprese/bruschetta style appetizers...awesome
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:38 PM   #34
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Mayo/Miracle Whip is Satan's condiment. It truly is the work of the devil.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:39 PM   #35
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'll agree though. mayo is GROSS. i refuse to go anywhere near it. If I know there's mayo in something I basically won't even eat it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:43 PM   #36
clintl
College Starter

I'm with you two - mayo is one of the most vile substances in existence.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #37
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
i'll agree though. mayo is GROSS. i refuse to go anywhere near it. If I know there's mayo in something I basically won't even eat it.

Ditto. I don't even let it in the house. I also won't kiss Arlie if he's eaten Mayo at any point in the day. Even if he brushed his teeth.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:54 PM   #38
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97

I eat tomatoes raw, like apples, often. Sprinkle a little salt on them and they are amazing.

Pico de gallo, chunky salsa, caprese, ceviche, bruschetta -- the tomato is probably my favorite single item of food on the planet. I'm not as gung-ho about sundried tomatoes, but they are still good.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:55 PM   #39
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Mayo/Miracle Whip is Satan's condiment. It truly is the work of the devil.

Well there's your problem right there. Miracle Whip is gross. Best Foods (Helmanns) on the other hand...
Old 05-16-2005, 10:09 PM   #40
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

It's fascinating to see how some people are completely grossed out by foods you yourself find integral. I love tomatoes (excepting sun-dried), I'm a mustard connoisseur, and mayo/miracle whip are essential condiments for me, especially for making both tuna salad and egg salad spreads for sandwiches.

Squash is a big turnoff for me, and while I was OK with beets as a kid, I've come to dislike them as an adult - I'll eat them, but I'm not a fan. I really don't like sweet potatoes either.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:18 PM   #41
Schmidty
Coordinator

Mayo is an amazing food. I make mine from scratch (thanks to Alton Brown), and it's awesome.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:21 PM   #42
Schmidty
Coordinator

Dola.

The only things that make me gag are the smell of old fish, the taste of smoked salmon, or any kind of seafood that isn't ABSOLUTELY fresh. Luckily, I live in Bellingham, which for all it's flaws, has some amazing seafood.

Last edited by Schmidty : 05-16-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:26 PM   #43
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Dola.

The only things that make me gag are the smell of old fish, the taste of smoked salmon, or any kind of seafood that isn't ABSOLUTELY fresh. Luckily, I live in Bellingham, which for all it's flaws, has some amazing seafood.

Fighting ... urge ... to .... say ... a ....... joke .... women .... will .... be ... offended ... by
Old 05-16-2005, 10:36 PM   #44
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

speaking of the smell of old fish I recently had a bad experience with it.....ill keep the story to myself though, lets just say ill never go around her again
Old 05-16-2005, 10:49 PM   #45
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
speaking of the smell of old fish I recently had a bad experience with it.....ill keep the story to myself though, lets just say ill never go around her again

Tough being on set of Golden Girls eh?
Old 05-16-2005, 10:58 PM   #46
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Squash is a big turnoff for me, and while I was OK with beets as a kid, I've come to dislike them as an adult - I'll eat them, but I'm not a fan. I really don't like sweet potatoes either.

there's a lot of foods I wont eat - squash, beets and sweet potatoes are on that list (along with seafood, melons, most nuts, and baked beans to name a few). But none of them truly OFFEND my very existence like the sight or smell of a banana does...
Old 05-16-2005, 11:21 PM   #47
digamma
Torchbearer

Snakes and beets.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:24 PM   #48
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Tough being on set of Golden Girls eh?

Yes, Frankenstein.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:31 PM   #49
bbor
Pro Starter

Olives......justthe smell of them makes me wanna vomit.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:59 PM   #50
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Clowns, which isn't really weird.

But Playdough is probably my weirdest one. I can't stand the smell, let alone touch or even get near it. Same goes to Brownies, they taste and smell like Playdough. I almost vomit the smell of both of these things. I HATE them.