Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2005, 08:53 PM   #1
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Reporting Insurance Fraud (Should I do it?)

A few months ago I gave a ride to my girlfriend to a dentist (a friend of my girlfriends family). Fast-forward to a couple of weeks later and she had to have some surgery at the same place. Well I find out from my girlfriend's mom (someone I totally dislike, but thats beside the point) that the dentist charges not just one of their insurance carriers, but 3, because her mom has 2 jobs and her dad has another (the mom and dad are divorced). When I found this out I got pretty mad, but stayed cool in front of my girlfriend and her family. I konw that in the end its me and my family that gets hurt by insurance fraud, since insurance companies need to increase the premiums etc. etc. Well now I have a dilemma, since I want to report the fraud to authorites, but I don't want my girlfriend or family to get in trouble. Since they could maybe be seen as accomplises since they know about the fraud and haven't done anything about it. So now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because its both a moral dilemma and a case where I don't want anyone but this dentist to get in trouble.

Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:55 PM   #2
Comey
College Starter

I'm not too keen on this stuff, so please help me out. Why would her family get in trouble?

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:02 PM   #3
Sharpieman

Well they know about it and told me. Plus I guess its kind of a hush-hush issue, which no one is supposed to say anything about it. I don't know, really, maybe they can't get in trouble. But I'm not entirely sure.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The question is does he charge all 3 insurance companies independantly or not. What I mean is that I see some patients who are charged to their primary insurance for services that I render, and the percentage that the insurance doesn't cover is charged to a secondary insurance. That is not insurance fraud. Both insurance companies know that I'm charging both of them, one 66% for example and the second 34%.

However, if s/he is getting paid in full or greater than the value of the services by all 3 insurance companies that is fraud. Insurance Fraud by doctors is usually a federal crime (because it usually involves transactions across state lines) and is a very serious offense. I doubt your girlfriend or her family would get in trouble unless they are telling the doctor to triple charge and getting some sort of reward for this.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

report it. let an investigator sort it out. there shouldn't be any reason for your GF's family to get in trouble i wouldn't think and I also don't think there's any way they could know it was you that reported it
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:10 PM   #6
Sharpieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
The question is does he charge all 3 insurance companies independantly or not. What I mean is that I see some patients who are charged to their primary insurance for services that I render, and the percentage that the insurance doesn't cover is charged to a secondary insurance. That is not insurance fraud. Both insurance companies know that I'm charging both of them, one 66% for example and the second 34%.

However, if s/he is getting paid in full or greater than the value of the services by all 3 insurance companies that is fraud. Insurance Fraud by doctors is usually a federal crime (because it usually involves transactions across state lines) and is a very serious offense. I doubt your girlfriend or her family would get in trouble unless they are telling the doctor to triple charge and getting some sort of reward for this.
No, I understand the difference. She charges all three insurances in full. I'm actually surprised that she hasn't been investigated or caught yet. It would be scary to think that this kind of thing is frequent.

Last edited by Sharpieman : 05-10-2005 at 09:10 PM.
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:15 PM   #7
MrBug708
Head Coach

After a bad accident, my chiropractors wanted to charge me triple their normal rate because the insurance company was going to pay and she about killed the chiropractor
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:25 PM   #8
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

It's called Coordination of Benefits (COB) by most insurance carriers.

Are they getting EOBs from the different carriers that show that they are really making the payments?

Most dental policies (especially PPO/Indemnity) have very low yearly maximums, say $750 for the year. It might very well be that they have to send it to all three carriers, it then becomes a COB issue and the secondary coverage won't pay anything until the primary carrier reaches their maximum.

It probably isn't fraud, check the actual explanations of benefits to see what the payments truly are. If they aren't receiving them, it's probably because there is no payment from a carrier on a claim - they don't send out EOBs for zero payments.

If the EOB's look fishy, then you can probably contact a fraud hotline without even revealing your identity. I work for the one of the major carriers and could dig up the number if you decide you want to make a call. Unless the family is getting kickbacks there isn't going to be any legal ramifications for them.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:31 PM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
It's called Coordination of Benefits (COB) by most insurance carriers.

Are they getting EOBs from the different carriers that show that they are really making the payments?

Most dental policies (especially PPO/Indemnity) have very low yearly maximums, say $750 for the year. It might very well be that they have to send it to all three carriers, it then becomes a COB issue and the secondary coverage won't pay anything until the primary carrier reaches their maximum.

It probably isn't fraud, check the actual explanations of benefits to see what the payments truly are. If they aren't receiving them, it's probably because there is no payment from a carrier on a claim - they don't send out EOBs for zero payments.

If the EOB's look fishy, then you can probably contact a fraud hotline without even revealing your identity. I work for the one of the major carriers and could dig up the number if you decide you want to make a call. Unless the family is getting kickbacks there isn't going to be any legal ramifications for them.

I'm terrible about dealing with the business side of things. You explained it much better than I did
Old 05-10-2005, 09:36 PM   #10
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm terrible about dealing with the business side of things. You explained it much better than I did

Prolly way many doctors have Insurance managers to deal with it. Always been curious, do you learn about this stuff at all in Med school?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:39 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Prolly way many doctors have Insurance managers to deal with it. Always been curious, do you learn about this stuff at all in Med school?

At least at my school, they had an elective which I took to learn about insurance and business options. However, considering it was tucked in between OB/GYN and Surgery (my two busiest rotations), I hardly remember anything from it except for the bare basics.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:52 PM   #12
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Well if you want to do the right thing, report it. Its pretty black and white here.

If you want to continue getting lucky, don't.

I guess it depends where your priorities are.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:14 PM   #13
Sharpieman

Well I guess there won't be any hurt in reporting it.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:34 AM   #14
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

If you haven't voiced your complaints to your girlfriend then there probably is no way that it will be traced to you if you report it..
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:38 AM   #15
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yes, you should.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:49 AM   #16
Passacaglia
Coordinator

You don't want to piss off anyone who takes a knife to your gums.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:09 AM   #17
Bee
Pro Starter

I'd be surprised if this is anything more than a misunderstanding on how the doctor is turning in the charges to the insurance companies. When you have multiple insurance policies, one is always primary and the others are secondary. All insurance companies involved know this and there's pretty strict observance of what's being paid and charged. The only way the doctor could get away with charging all insurance companies full price would be working in conjunction with the patient who would have to lie on their benefits forms about having other insurance coverage and even then they'd most likely get caught through general audits.

Last edited by Bee : 05-11-2005 at 10:10 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote