Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2005, 02:39 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(MMORPG Update comparison) CoH vs SWG

Wow. two updates recently went live in two of the bigger (WoW is the biggest of course, but City of Heroes and Star Wars Galaxies might be in the running for #2 with EQ2) Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games.

Quite frankly, I couldn't see two updates more different in reaction.

Issue 4 for City of Heroes is going live today, and brings PvP Arena combat and slight changes to a bunch of powers. The usual stuff except for the Arena, which will definitely peak interest in players. (I honestly would not want to go near the Arena for a week, my video card would melt from all the heroes wanting to try it.

They also added a ton more costume options (including more "Non-heroic" items for your secret ID to wear ) and added tons more stuff.

Meanwhile, we have Star Wars Galaxies.

(pauses)

Wow.

Just wow.

They reimaged the whole game. Not only did they reimage the combat system and the graphics (borrowing a lot of choices from fantasy MMORPG's, for example they replaced the ranged attack button with an arrow, and a mount vehicle command is apparently a horse), they also reimaged a lot of characters and their equipment, in a lot of cases making it worse then what newbies can make. Apparently this was an attempt by Sony Online Entertainment to pretty up the game and make it simpler, with the expected influx of SW fans after Episode III comes off.

And folks aren't happy. In fact.. they're pissed off.

We're talking Battlecruiser Millenium levels of hatred, gnashing of teeth and pure flamage. Sony has resorted to deleting accounts of those who complain on the forums. Critical posts are disappearing left and right. A petition has been started to roll back the upgrade.. at last check it had over 12,500 account holders signing it.

Just.. wow. How could two companies be so different?

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:18 PM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

And I was recently thinking of getting back into SWG to see if it got better....glad I avoided that.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:32 PM   #3
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Yeah....I stopped playing after I beta'ed SWG:JTL not that anything was wrong with it, I just noticed and realized it was moving where I didn't want to be.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #4
Icy
Pro Starter

I haven't played any of them and i better don't try them as i'm hooked again to WWIIOnline that is the best WWII oriented online game, specially if you like tactics and teamwork not like the usual shooters where you just run and shoot. My worst adiction ever seems to come back. I left this game 1 year ago because i haven't ever been as addited to a game, and the other day tried it again... and shit, this is like alcholics, once you have left it you can't ever try it again, i have joined again my squad and my wife is again comming at nights to the computer room asking who am i talking to with the micro and headphones.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:02 PM   #5
Blackadar
Retired

To be fair, there are a lot of unhappy campers over at CoH over the arena and PvP stuff. Nothing like SWG, tho. That's a full-scale revolt.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote