Old 04-25-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Music you're listening to/Advice

So, what's everyone listening to these days? I just bought:

Beck-Guero
At the Drive-In-Vaya
New York Dolls-S/T

Beck's new one is subpar, At the Drive in is awesome, and I wish I would have been able to see them live (Mars Volta will have to do), and I haven't listened to much of New York Dolls yet. Also, I really, really want to buy a Smiths record, but I'm not sure which to get.

There's some stuff coming out or has just come out that I'm interested in:

Weezer-Make Believe
White Stripes-Get Behind Me Satan
Oasis-Don't Believe the Truth

Weezer fans have been waiting for some as good as the Blue Album or Pinkerton since, well since the Blue Album or Pinkerton came out. I'm hearing good things for this one (released May 10th), even though the single "Beverly Hills" is kind of blah. The White Stripes have put out 3 fantastic albums in a row now (De Stijl, White Blood Cells, and Elephant), so it will be interesting to see if they can actually get even better than they were. The single "Blue Orchid" is quite interesting, but I need to hear it more than once to make proper judgement. I don't need to give anyone the history behind Oasis, but the single "Lyla" isn't terribly shabby. Can they take over the world again?

Oh, and I'm going to Coachella in a couple of days. Coldplay, Weezer, Nine Inch Nails, New Order, Bright Eyes, Gang Of Four, Bauhaus, and my personal favorites: The Faint and the Arcade Fire.

What music has you guys excited?

Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

New Dropkick Murphys CD The Warriors Code comes out in 57 days, that combined with them being on The Warped Tour I have been listening to them alot. Listening to Blackout right now. When I am in a more mellow mood I have been listining to alot of older Ani DiFranco stuff, great acoustic music.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing: album of the year so far. A review:

Porcupine Tree: Deadwing

If the ten-minute opening title track "Deadwing" isn't proof enough, then the ensuing remainder of the CD of the same name certainly makes a bold statement that Porcupine Tree is back with a vengeance. 2002's debut on Lava Records In Absentia was at the time the bands boldest, most commercial, and certainly heaviest record to date, that is, until Deadwing. Steven Wilson has fully embraced his love for heavy metal and atmospheric rock music, merging the two styles very convincingly here, surely his relationship with progressive death metal band Opeth greatly influencing his writing style these days.

The title track is a compelling mix of prog rock, catchy alternative, and crushing metal, littered with Wilson's searing guitars and Richard Barbieri's clever keyboard work. However, the crushing "Shallow" is easily the heaviest track the band has recorded yet, with thick beefy guitars, aggressive rhythms, and Wilson's forceful vocals. This is metal with a capital "M"! On "Lazarus", the band switches gears for a gorgeous pop rock tune that recalls Wilson's side project with Israeli singer Aviv Geffen called Blackfield, complete with lush lead & backing vocals and the majestic piano of Barbieri. The melodies and hooks on this one are simply tremendous.

The band mixes symphonic rock with industrial and funk sounds on the groove -laden "Halo", complete with a frenzied guitar solo from King Crimson legend Adrian Below and Wilson's distorted lead vocals. Fans of Porcupine Tree's earlier space rock style will love the 13-minute extravaganza "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here", a tune that scratches the Pink Floyd and Tangerine Dream itch quite nicely, yet retains the modern PT sound. Lots of multi-layered vocal harmonies on this, as well as acrobatic and soaring lead guitar work from Wilson, plus many varied keyboard textures. Check out the daring middle section where the band switches from ambient space to down and dirty thrash metal, complete with crashing drums from Gavin Harrison, nimble bass work from Colin Edwin, Wilson's pummeling guitar dirges, and Barbieri's raging organ. If you dug the last Dream Theater album, this tune will put a big smile on your face. The band goes through many changes of tone, mood, and tempo here, and this is easily one of the bands most ambitious tunes in years.

The band travels back to Earth for another pleasant and tuneful pop song with "Mellotron Scratch", which features plenty of engaging harmonies and multi-part vocals. Again, fans of Blackfield, as well as The Beatles, will love this song. The band returns to more riff-based material on the heavy "Open Car", this one a more straightforward rocker that has a catchy verse to go along with some meaty guitar chords. More crunchy guitars meet futuristic and ambient keyboard washes on the complex "The Start of Something Beautiful", a song that sees drummer Harrison lay down some funk/jazz drum licks while Wilson and Barbieri conjure up the perfect meeting of thunder and space. The band returns to the Pink Floyd-influenced soundscapes for a classic Porcupine Tree epic called "Glass Arm Shattering", which sees Wilson's haunting, dreamy, washed out vocals soaring over spacey keyboard settings and liquid guitar patterns. A wonderful end to a wonderful album. The perfect marriage between prog rock, metal, ambient, and pop music? Perhaps. Porcupine Tree are on a roll folks, and with a slew of solid releases behind them, Deadwing should be the ice-breaker as far as this band gaining world wide recognition and success. Let's hope so, as Deadwing is that good.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Isn't the new Tool album supposed to becoming out soon? Drool...

My music selection is stagnating. Generally I shuffle all the music on my hard drive(bout 4600 songs), so I am never really listening to anything in particular.

The mix I made for my car has Tool, Primus, KMFDM, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Faith No More, A Perfect Circle and Smashing Pumpkins. Boring, need more bands that are in the same vein. I'm to mainstream .

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:02 PM   #5
McSweeny
College Starter

i've been listening to a bunch of Against Me lately. And i've been listening to the new Darkbuster album pretty much non-stop
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:02 PM   #6
Ksyrup

Other stuff I'm enjoying:

Andrew Bird, particularly his 2001 album with Bowl of Fire called The Swimming Hour. New one the Mysterious Production of Eggs is great as well, though toned down on the Memphis Soul/swing/jazz elements that make Swimming Hour so great.

Freak Kitchen - Insane Swedish guitarist puts songs first; great melodies overlayed with killer metal riffs. New album Organic comes out soon.

Glen Philips - Winter Pays for Summer; former singer of Toad the West Sprocket. Just great acoustic-based rock.

Roger Manning - I'm still giving his album repeated listens. This is pure pop/rock at its finest.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-25-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
Isn't the new Tool album supposed to becoming out soon? Drool...

My music selection is stagnating. Generally I shuffle all the music on my hard drive(bout 4600 songs), so I am never really listening to anything in particular.

The mix I made for my car has Tool, Primus, KMFDM, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Faith No More, A Perfect Circle and Smashing Pumpkins. Boring, need more bands that are in the same vein. I'm to mainstream .

Yeah, no offense, but that play list kicked ass in 1994 (well, aside from Perfect Circle). You're where I was 5 years ago. How old are you? Just curious (I have a theory about this kind of stuff).
Old 04-25-2005, 05:07 PM   #8
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Heh, 23. And come on, at least 96 .

In any case I don't listen to the radio and the people I hang out with don't share my tastes, thus I listen to the same old crap.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:10 PM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
Heh, 23. And come on, at least 96 .

In any case I don't listen to the radio and the people I hang out with don't share my tastes, thus I listen to the same old crap.
You should try Dropkick Murphy's or Blood for Blood
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:11 PM   #10
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
I don't need to give anyone the history behind Oasis, but the single "Lyla" isn't terribly shabby. Can they take over the world again?
It's not called taking over the world when all of your supporters are wankers.

In truth, though, I'm trying not to wet myself over waiting for the new White Stripes album. Saw them New Year's Eve in Chicago a couple of years back and was sanctified.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:15 PM   #11
TLK
Pro Starter

The new Alkaline Trio album, "Crimson".... I don't think the release date is for a month yet, but highly recommended. The album is much better than the Trio's last offering and is on par with "From Here To Infirmary".
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:15 PM   #12
General Mike
Pro Starter

3 Doors Down - Seventeen Days
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:58 PM   #13
HerRealName
College Prospect

I would recommend any of these:

Fiery Furnaces - EP
The Decemberists - Picaresue
British Sea Power - Open Season
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:01 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

My blog is full of my eclectic musicial tastes and so, visit and you'll get a smattering of what I'm listening to..and have been.

SHR Music
Here are some of the most recent ones..

Kyle Riabko - Before I Speak
Hmm..it was pretty easy to put him in a category after I heard the first song. But I listened to all of them, just to be sure. And sure enough. It’s Justin Timberlake’s voice, with John Mayer’s music. He’s obviously sounding more singer-songwriter than dancemachine popstar. But…there is little mistaking this one. That said, his debut sounds good. Despite my description, it would be worth adding to your playlist. It’s catchy and should do well on the pop charts, but this guy is no gimmick.

Athlete - Tourist
Like Coldplay? Love Oasis? Athlete should fit your tastes just fine, then. They through a dash of Radiohead in there, just to keep you listening. But you’d surely confuse that voice with any number of the brit-rock bands out there these days. That said, they’re worth getting to know.

Anna Nalick - Wreck of the Day
Hmm..I like her voice. I think I like her songwriting more. Reminds me of Natalie Imbruglia, with better chops and songwriting. (Not that she’s a slouch, just saying..)
Tracks: Breathe (2am), Satellite, Wreck of the Day

Mat Kearney - Bullet
What would happen if Kayne West got in the studio to produce a rock album, with say Everlast and Adam Duritz from Counting Crows. Um, the answer is Mat Kearney. This guy basically created a brit-rock CD, where he manages to actually sing and rap and do both pretty well. I mean, he’s not gonna be voted MC of the year or anything. But this is fresh and original stuff. There isn’t any getting around that.

Roots Manuva - Awfully Deep

Never been a big fan before. But this dude really brought it with this release. It’s straight grimy. I mean, it was the first time I heard a British rapper bring it like this, with production to keep up with it. This is hot.
Tracks: The Falling, Toothbrush, Babylon Medicine

Carla Bruni - Quelqu’un M’a Dit

Blame this one on Keren Ann. A former model, Carla Bruni on her debut release. It’s quite nice. Nothing too fantastic or original really, she’s just singing. But it sounds quite pleasant.
Tracks: L’Amour, Tout Le Monde, Quelqu’un M’a Dit

Cafe Tacuba - Un Viaje
One of the best Latin Rock bands of all time. A collection of live stuff, 3 CDs worth and a DVD for good measure. Very awesome.
Find out about them

Matisyahu - Live @ Stubbs
A convert to Hasidic Judaism, he combines a love for reggae, rhyming and dancehall in a rhyme-induced live release. He might be a novelty, but he’s not half bad. It’s an interesting combination, but then, that’s why I love America so much. Combined to the singers of bands like 311 or say, Sublime - this guy sounds like he could easily front one of those bands, he just has a better message.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:09 PM   #15
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
You should try Dropkick Murphy's or Blood for Blood

can't go wrong with the Boston/New England punk rock scene
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:51 PM   #16
-Mojo Jojo-
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Glen Philips - Winter Pays for Summer; former singer of Toad the West Sprocket. Just great acoustic-based rock.

I saw him on tour for this album a couple weeks ago. Awesome show. He's actually touring with a band, I think for the first time since Toad broke up. One of the guys, Jonathan Kingham, who was playing keys and guitar had a solo song, which was really phenomenal.

I've also been meaning to get the Porcupine Tree album. Crazy...

What I've been listening a lot to is stuff I've downloaded from the Internet Archive's Live Music Archive. Legal bootleg recordings for a crapload of bands. Most of them are no-names, but there are shows by the aforementioned Glen Philips and Jonathan Kingham, and Bela Fleck, Big Head Todd, Jump Little Children (HIGHLY recommended), Guster, Toad the Wet Sprocket, etc. The recording quality is mostly very good, and there's just something about live music that I love. You may have to get a utility to convert from .flac or .shn, but you can google up a number of free programs to do that. Did I mention that it's free?
-Mojo Jojo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 09:26 PM   #17
chinaski
College Prospect

the new bright eyes country album is damn good, not a single bad song on it.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:23 AM   #18
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Mojo Jojo-
I've also been meaning to get the Porcupine Tree album. Crazy...

Well, you're not exactly late, seeing as though today is the actual release date. I've had the promo copy for quite a while, and a CD shop in town sells the next Tuesday's releases the Friday before when the shipment arrives, so I've already got mine.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:30 PM   #19
Ramzavail
College Starter

Just saw the bouncing souls again, and I have been revitalized with their music especially their latest albums
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:33 PM   #20
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sage Francis. A Healthy Distrust. A rapper from the East Coast that is called the Rage Against the Machine of Hip Hop. His songs aren't about bitches and hos. They actually have substance. I love him.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:34 PM   #21
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the new Snow Patrol album is great. every time i think im done with it, i fall in love with another song, and start it up all over again.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:35 PM   #22
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName
I would recommend any of these:

Fiery Furnaces - EP

Word.

Fiery Furnaces EP and the Blueberry Boat album have been the main thing I've been listening to for the past two months or so. Love that stuff.

The Arcade Fire and The Streets get honorable mention also.

I should check out this new Porcupine Tree, I heard some of the stuff off their last album and really liked it, but never gave it a serious listen.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:41 PM   #23
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

The Decemberists - Picaresque
The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree
Iron & Wine - Woman King EP

Anyone else planning on going to the Intonation Festival in Chicago?

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:48 PM   #24
bossfan2000
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Mat Kearney - Bullet
What would happen if Kayne West got in the studio to produce a rock album, with say Everlast and Adam Duritz from Counting Crows. Um, the answer is Mat Kearney. This guy basically created a brit-rock CD, where he manages to actually sing and rap and do both pretty well. I mean, he’s not gonna be voted MC of the year or anything. But this is fresh and original stuff. There isn’t any getting around that.

I second the recommendation for this one....excellent stuff
bossfan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:51 PM   #25
bossfan2000
n00b

here are a few i like right now

Michael McDermott - Beneath the Ashes (check him out if you like Springsteen)

Bill Mallonee - Friendly Fire (americana..from the former lead of Vigilantes of Love)

Matt Mays and El Torpedo - S/T (excellent..cross between Petty, Wallflowers, and Ryan Adams)

i reviewed them all recently...or check the artists site..good straight ahead rock..
Old 04-26-2005, 05:23 PM   #26
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Sage Francis. A Healthy Distrust. A rapper from the East Coast that is called the Rage Against the Machine of Hip Hop. His songs aren't about bitches and hos. They actually have substance. I love him.

What's wrong with a little bitches and hos rap? Hater.

That said, Sage Francis' new LP is good stuff.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:35 PM   #27
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
What's wrong with a little bitches and hos rap? Hater.

That said, Sage Francis' new LP is good stuff.

WERD, YO!

Let's go bust some pigs.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:32 PM   #28
SlapBone
High School JV

I have been listening to the Porcupine Tree album for about 3 weeks now but for the last week or so I have gone on a Death Metal splurge:

Mastodon- Leviathan (this album moves me)
Lamb of God- Ashes of the Wake
Shadows Fall- The War within
God Forbid- Gone Forever
Nile- Annihilation of the Wicked

Oh... and the new one from Killswitch Engage

And from my "family friendly" playlist it has been:

Brendan Benson- Alternative to Love
Pinback- Summer in Abaddon (got tickets to see these guys May 15)
Jack Johnson- In Between Dreams

I've also gone back to listening to my Verve collection and my Curve collection.
SlapBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:33 PM   #29
SlapBone
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossfan2000
I second the recommendation for this one....excellent stuff

Dola...

I got this when it came out.

I third the recommendation.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:37 PM   #30
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapBone
I have been listening to the Porcupine Tree album for about 3 weeks now but for the last week or so I have gone on a Death Metal splurge:

Mastodon- Leviathan (this album moves me)
Lamb of God- Ashes of the Wake
Shadows Fall- The War within
God Forbid- Gone Forever
Nile- Annihilation of the Wicked

Oh... and the new one from Killswitch Engage

I've also gone back to listening to my Verve collection and my Curve collection.

Porcupine Tree, Lamb of God, and Brendan Benson...sweet!

I can't get into that Mastodon album, although Ashes of the Wake is flat-out amazing.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:54 PM   #31
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
The Decemberists - Picaresque
The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree
Iron & Wine - Woman King EP

Anyone else planning on going to the Intonation Festival in Chicago?

I just recently discovered Iron and Wine and have really been blown away (I have the Endless Numbered Days album.) It's just mesmerizing, Beam's voice has a certain quality that I can't describe, I just have to keep listening.

Last edited by Peregrine : 04-26-2005 at 10:01 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:50 PM   #32
Craptacular
College Starter

I've never heard of 95% of the people / bands listed so far.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:51 PM   #33
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Stars - Set Yourself On Fire
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:01 AM   #34
bossfan2000
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapBone

I tried to get into the Benson cd...just couldnt do it for some reason. It SEEMS like something i would love..dunno why i dont dig it..

Pinback I liked...Jack Johnson sounds like he records the same song 13 times on each record to me, but my wife likes him...

Last edited by bossfan2000 : 04-27-2005 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:04 AM   #35
Ksyrup

The new Brendan Benson is really good in its own right, but if you liked his old stuff and not the new one, it might be because Jason Falkner isn't involved. Some of the new Benson reminds me of Sondre Lerche, and when compared to Lerche, it doesn't measure up. I still like it, though. Lerche's Two Way Monologue is on its own level, IMO.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:30 AM   #36
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Has anyone listened to Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds-Abbatoir Blues?
Old 04-27-2005, 11:45 AM   #37
SlapBone
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossfan2000
but my wife likes him...

Zactly...
Old 02-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #38
watravaler
High School JV

Millenium bump...

If you dig electronic...

Lindstrøm - It's a Feedelity Affair (Check out "I Feel Space")
Cut Copy - Going Nowhere (Whitey Remix)
Apparat and Ellen Allien - Orchestra of Bubbles
Junior Boys - So This is Goodbye (Excellent Album, words, but the music dominates)
Deadmau5 - Faxing Berlin (Chris Lake Edit)
Anything by Sunlounger
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:17 AM   #39
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Yeah Karl, ATDI is a top 5 favorite of mine. The Mars Volta isn't cutting it for me anymore--saw them on the Rollins show and they were practically unlistinable. I'll bet ATDI get back together.
If you're going to buy one Smiths record, buy Louder Than Bombs. It's one of their compilation albums, and it's got many of their greatest songs.
Other than that, Fantastic Planet by a band named Failure (remember Stuck on You?) is killer. Download the song "Daylight" by them and tell me that isn't one of the best songs you've ever heard.
Deftones are always good.
Skindred are a good ragga/punk/metal band from the UK, who are really upbeat and fun.
Anything from Prince before he became one of those over the top religious guys is good.
Sunny Day Real Estate has an album called "Diary" that's pretty intense.
The Misfits are terrible, but still a favorite of mine.
There's a lot of good metal coming out (Lamb of God, Children of Bodom), but I'm getting too old to handle that much stimulation. All that double-bass...yeesh.
Veruca Salt's first two albums were good.
The Black Crowes second, third and fourth albums.
The Bestie Boys second album, Paul's Boutique is pretty incredible.

That's what I've got. Hope it helps.
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote