Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2005, 06:58 AM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Fountains O' Wayne

On June 28th, Virgin Records will release Out-Of-State Plates, a specially priced 2-CD collection of FOUNTAINS OF WAYNE non-album tracks and previously unreleased recordings spanning the group's entire career.

Included are two brand new songs, "Maureen" and "The Girl I Can't Forget", as well as the first official release of the group's 1999 version of "..Baby One More Time". The package will also include liner notes written by Chris and Adam.

The band will be playing select dates in support of Out-Of-State Plates, beginning with the May 22 benefit show in Central Park.

More details and complete tracklisting will be posted soon.

That's not my annoying bolding, btw. It's fun to re-read it in a TV commercial announcer's voice, emphasizing every bolded word.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:07 AM   #2
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Fountains O' Suck is more like it

Or Fountains O' Ne Hit Wonders

Last edited by Ragone : 04-15-2005 at 07:07 AM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
Ksyrup

They're not my favorite, but I'd hardly judge one of the most successful underground power pop bands of all time by the fact that they actually had a semi-hit song. They'd already had 2 well-received albums, with a number of great songs on them, before Stacy's Mom. Not to mention, the main guy also wrote That Thing You Do for the Tom Hanks movie. And any band that does the theme song for a show about puppets who make crank calls can't be bad...

I don't know, it's kinda hard to call a band with a large fanbase and only 3 albums a one-hit wonder. It's not like we're judging their career from 2015. Plus, knowing this country, their remake of Baby One More Time, which most of us have had for 5+ years, will end up being their biggest hit of all. You just watch.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-15-2005, 07:15 AM   #4
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I think most of my hatred comes from that way overplayed stacey's mom song ksyrup
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:17 AM   #5
miked
College Starter

They are named after a store near my hometown. Every time I pass the Fountains of Wayne store on Rt 46, I think of that suck-ass band.
miked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:17 AM   #6
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Fountains O' Suck is more like it
Youn aint hear nothing yet. I love these un"previously unreleased recordings spanning the group's entire career". This is going to be some serious sh*t.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:17 AM   #7
Ksyrup

That's why I don't listen to radio or watch videos. Nothing's overplayed unless I overplay it.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:20 AM   #8
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
Youn aint hear nothing yet. I love these un"previously unreleased recordings spanning the group's entire career". This is going to be some serious sh*t.

Sheesh, tough crowd. This was meant to be info for those who like the band, not a cheap shot session.

In any event, should be interesting to see the tracklist. A couple of the first CDs I ever burned were rare FOW songs I found on Napster. I'm assuming those will be the majority of what's on this album. And yeah, most of them aren't that great, but that's probably why it'll be "specially priced."
Old 04-15-2005, 07:56 AM   #9
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

thanks for the info, Ksyrup. I think I've mostly burned myself out on Welcome Interstate Managers, but I go back and listen to Utopia Parkway at least once a month.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:02 AM   #10
Ksyrup

I like UP the best. I'm not sure if it's because that was the first album I heard from them, or just that it's the best. WIM was good, but not great.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:46 AM   #11
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
They are named after a store near my hometown. Every time I pass the Fountains of Wayne store on Rt 46, I think of that suck-ass band.

I know what you mean (although I kinda like the band). They have some great-looking fountains there!

I remember once I was in a car with my mom and the announcer identified the band as "Fountains of Wayne." You can't put a price on the wave of confusion that spread over her face.
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:46 AM   #12
miked
College Starter

Yeah, plus the band Better than Ezra is named after one of my highschool teachers. One of the guys in the band was from Montclair and I guess they liked that name.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:00 AM   #13
Ksyrup

...but thought they were better than him?
Old 04-15-2005, 09:16 AM   #14
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
Yeah, plus the band Better than Ezra is named after one of my highschool teachers. One of the guys in the band was from Montclair and I guess they liked that name.

Are you shitting me? They named the band after Holley? I loved that guy! HE should have had a band.

And to answer KSyrup, he's MUCH better than the band.

Last edited by weinstein7 : 04-15-2005 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:19 AM   #15
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinstein7
Are you shitting me? They named the band after Holley? I loved that guy! HE should have had a band.

And to answer KSyrup, he's MUCH better than the band.

Yeah, that's what I heard. I had student government with "Ezra" and he was an awesome teacher...I don't know why they think they are better than him.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:23 AM   #16
weinstein7
High School JV

Well, I guess "Not Quite as Cool as Ezra" just doesn't have that same "oomf." Though it just doesn't get any better than Holley's college stories. I applied to Drew as a safety school just because of him

edit: HOLY SHIT! Wait a minute....Mike Davis....Beantown....MHS.....you're Alex's brother! Well, it's official, worlds have collided.

Last edited by weinstein7 : 04-15-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:27 AM   #17
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I guess Fountain O' Wayne is playing at our springfest....any reason to actually go and see them?
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:29 AM   #18
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

They've got a few good songs like: Better things.( truly a powerful song, and Stacy's Mom......other than that nothing really. Let's hope the new album will be good.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:33 AM   #19
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinstein7
Well, I guess "Not Quite as Cool as Ezra" just doesn't have that same "oomf." Though it just doesn't get any better than Holley's college stories. I applied to Drew as a safety school just because of him

edit: HOLY SHIT! Wait a minute....Mike Davis....Beantown....MHS.....you're Alex's brother! Well, it's official, worlds have collided.

We'll need first grade yearbook pictures, please.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:35 AM   #20
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
They've got a few good songs like: Better things.( truly a powerful song, and Stacy's Mom......other than that nothing really. Let's hope the new album will be good.

Have you heard their earlier albums? Utopia Parkway, Red Dragon Tattoo, Denise, Laser Show, Prom Theme, and Senator's Daughter are all great. In fact, there are only a few clunkers on that album. The first album, which all the hardcore fans love, I don't think is all that terrific. Except Leave the Biker. That's a good one.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:41 AM   #21
weinstein7
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
We'll need first grade yearbook pictures, please.

If he's the Mike Davis I think he is, then I was best friends with his little brother. Different schools though, so no yearbook photos. Sorry
Old 04-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #22
Ksyrup

Money Diamond. No offense, but I think I like Mike D. better.

So, are you related to Screech then?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-15-2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:45 AM   #23
miked
College Starter

Actually, the Mike stands for money and the D is for diamond.

No yearbook photos allowed, but being that we never collided in schools, I don't think that matters. But it is a small world.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:15 AM   #24
Pyser
Pro Rookie

as the third montclair resident to check in, this thread becomes immortalized.

that said, all the fountains of wayne bashing must stop. they are an incredible pop group, and im not just saying that because adam lost his virginity in my house (before i moved in, but still).

their first 2 albums are 10 times better than interstate managers, which of course is the one that produced the hit. but go back to "leave the biker" and "radiation vibe" before you judge.

also, id assume most fans already have the b-sides, some of which are quite good. "half a woman" is about a magicians assistant who gets cut in half every night and hates her life, "comedienne" is about a terrible woman comic, "ill do the driving" about a dumb hot girl (and is probably their best b-side), and tons more.

and adam has written a lot of music for other projects, as someone said. that thing you do being one of them, but also 2 sidebands and even tv theme shows, like crank yankers and, oddly enough, the howard stern "noise".

i hope they come out with a proper 4th album soon.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:26 AM   #25
Ksyrup

Yes! I'll Do the Driving is an awesome song.

She knows nothing at all about nothing
The moment I saw her was something I found alarming
That certain nothing behind her eyes

TV, she finds intoxicating
Shows about cops and dating
She has a soft spot
For cops who are robots

And I don't know where this is going
But I've got a feeling
I'll do the driving from now on

Sometimes we stare at the stars from my roof
She wants to know if they are _fire proof_
I say I guess so, how else can they glow on for so long

We're out, the jukebox plays Jumping Jack Flash
She says I love Johnny Cash, the man in red
I turn my head and pretend not to hear what she said

But I've got a feeling

But I've got a feeling
Old 04-15-2005, 11:35 AM   #26
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yes! I'll Do the Driving is an awesome song.

We're out, the jukebox plays Jumping Jack Flash
She says I love Johnny Cash, the man in red
I turn my head and pretend not to hear what she said

thats probably my favorite FoW verse ever.

and wait, Ksyrup and i are agreeing on music? amazing.

i just have so many anecdotes about this band. like the time i went to their show with a girl (not a girlfriend, but..you know) and she left with jody, the guitarist. but had left her car at my house, since i drove to the show. and she had to come back to my house to get her keys the next morning. awkward!
Old 04-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #27
CentralMassHokie
High School JV

FOW is a fantastic band. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Utopia Parkway is a wonderful, wonderful album. So is Welcome Interstate Managers. So is the self-titled debut. Seriously, I'm not sure if they have a song I really dislike. And some of the unreleased stuff is genius -- how could anyone not love "California Sex Lawyer"???
CentralMassHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 08:09 PM   #28
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Have you heard their earlier albums? Utopia Parkway, Red Dragon Tattoo, Denise, Laser Show, Prom Theme, and Senator's Daughter are all great. In fact, there are only a few clunkers on that album. The first album, which all the hardcore fans love, I don't think is all that terrific. Except Leave the Biker. That's a good one.

Their first album was their best album. I still remember purchasing it.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:08 AM   #29
Ksyrup

FYI:

Fountains of Wayne's Out-Of-State Plates, a specially priced
2 CD collection of non-album tracks and previously unreleased
songs spanning the band's entire career, will be released
in the US on June 28th. The first single, the brand new
song "Maureen", will be at radio stations in mid-May.

The band will be playing select shows this spring and summer,
beginning with a benefit for The Children's Aid Society and
other charities in NYC's Central Park on May 22 with
guest Ben Kweller.

In June, several full-band acoustic performances are slated,
including two nights at Cafe Largo in LA and one at
Cafe Du Nord in San Francisco. An outdoor performance in
Chicago on July 15th has also been scheduled. The band will
also play on Late Night with Conan O'Brien and the
Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson in June.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #30
Ksyrup

The new album is great. So far I like it way more than the last one, which I thought was not as good as Utopia Parkway. Ironic, of course, since they got such huge accolades for that one, but it didn't do much for me outside of the first single.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:56 PM   #31
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I'm still kind of partial to "All Kinds of Time," played againt the QB highlights they ran on NFL Network a year or two ago.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 03-11-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:58 PM   #32
Ksyrup

That song bored me after a while; like a lot of their stuff, it's only interesting for the shtick of it, but once that wears off, some of their stuff doesn't stand up on its own.

There seems to be less of that on the new one, although they've still got that sense of humor, like on 92 Subaru.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:24 AM   #33
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The new album is great. So far I like it way more than the last one, which I thought was not as good as Utopia Parkway. Ironic, of course, since they got such huge accolades for that one, but it didn't do much for me outside of the first single.

torrent?
Old 03-12-2007, 06:22 AM   #34
Ksyrup

Nope. Honestly, I tend to forget stuff hasn't even come out yet. I just get it when I can, then buy it when it is released. I don't even know when this one comes out.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:05 PM   #35
Pyser
Pro Rookie

oh boy. so ive listend one and half times.

im not impressed.

its too cute. i dont like what they are singing about. its still ok to just be in love, right? maybe it'll grow on me, i dont know. id put it maybe a smidge above WIM so far, but we'll see.

This band is certainly falling into my 10 year rule.

A band has 10 years. After that, they suck. EXTREMELY few exceptions. extremely few.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:08 PM   #36
Ksyrup

See, I got just the opposite feeling from it. I thought WIM was too cute. This one feels less understated and forced than that one. I don't know, maybe it's the production. So far I've only listened to it on my transistor radio-type laptop speakers.