Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

FM2005: tracking player development with Excel

I've already talked about this before, but I have set up an excel spreadsheet for my personal use that helps me track player skill changes between two dates.

Every month or so of gametime, using FM Scout, I export only the columns I want to see, basically only the columns that are visible in the game, since I don't want to get any cheating advantage from the use of FM Scout, and I save them as an HTML export, which I then import into my spreadsheet. It does the trick for me, but sometimes I have to adjust a thing here or there, so I don't think it'd be good to release at large. That being said, I'm almost certain some of you could have fun using it, so I'm in the process of cleaning it, to make it as foolproof as possible and to help me doing so, I'd need maybe a person or two, well versed in Excel, to help me sort of beta test it. By well versed, I only mean better than beginner, i.e. don't want to have to show you how to insert or delete a row, if you know what I mean. I mean no offense to anybody by this and I'm not an elititist, far from it, but it would probably be better if I could swing the file to somebody with very minimal instructions to start out.

Once I'm done setting the spreadsheet, it should be hopefully usable by just about anybody, with simple instructions included with it...

Also, it would be nice if anybody willing to help me would be able to get on AIM, as it would probably be easier to trouble shoot live than going back and forth through emails or PM.

Anyway, I'm not even sure I'll have anything to send today, but I'm getting closer, doing it as I find a minute here or there. I'm in the offseason in my current FM2005 career and I'm taking it slowly, so I thought it was a good time to get that file done and make it available to everyone.

Here's one output it can produce, simple output, but yet pretty useful, at least to me...

Player name
Davies, John
Technicald1d2difMentald1d2difPhysicald1d2dif
Corners44Aggression55Acceleration1010
Crossing10122Anticipation9112Agility1010
Dribbling792Bravery1212Balance99
Finishing561Composure11132Jumping55
First Touch9112Concentration10122Natural Fitness1010
Free Kicks33Creativity9101Pace1111
Heading16182Decisions10133Stamina1717
Long Shots341Determination1515Strength66
Long Throws1111Flair66
Marking10122Influence891
Passing11132Off The Ball9112
Penalties55Positioning9123
Tackling12142Teamwork1010
Technique9112Work Rate1111
total changexx18total changexx16total changexx

It basically shows me how John Davies a right fullback on my QPR squad has improved from a date d1 to a date d2... It also has a global page, showing everybody's skill changes, either up or down, and another page that gives you a picture of your whole team, player by player, with all their skills on one big page. I think Pumpy Tudors was aksing for a way to see all of his players all at once, this could be of use to him. I know I find it useful when I want to have an idea of what my team looks as a whole...

Anyway, let me know if you fit the bill and you're interested in helping out.

FM

FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, a couple things I forgot to say...

First, if you're interested but don't feel like you can help, or don't have time, let me know in here, it'll help me gauge interest.

Second, another thing for anybody interested. It'd be nice if you had a game going on, and FM Scout installed, so you could run test on your own team...

FM
Old 04-07-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
kingfc22
Head Coach

I'd be very interested in using this tool once you "release" it
Old 04-07-2005, 04:29 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
dola, a couple things I forgot to say...

First, if you're interested but don't feel like you can help, or don't have time, let me know in here, it'll help me gauge interest.

Second, another thing for anybody interested. It'd be nice if you had a game going on, and FM Scout installed, so you could run test on your own team...

FM

I'm not very good with excel, but if someone with basic knowledge of excel can help, I'd be glad to do so.

I'm definitely interested in using the final version of this, and can't wait to see it completed.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:22 PM   #5
Runtheball
High School JV

Quote:

Here's one output it can produce, simple output, but yet pretty useful, at least to me...

Player name
Davies, John
Technicald1d2difMentald1d2difPhysicald1d2dif
Corners44Aggression55Acceleration1010
Crossing10122Anticipation9112Agility1010
Dribbling792Bravery1212Balance99
Finishing561Composure11132Jumping55
First Touch9112Concentration10122Natural Fitness1010
Free Kicks33Creativity9101Pace1111
Heading16182Decisions10133Stamina1717
Long Shots341Determination1515Strength66
Long Throws1111Flair66
Marking10122Influence891
Passing11132Off The Ball9112
Penalties55Positioning9123
Tackling12142Teamwork1010
Technique9112Work Rate1111
total changexx18total changexx16total changexx

ooooooohhhhhhhh baaaaaaaby.
I just about popped a boner when I saw this!
I'm reasonably familiar with Excel, and I just now downloaded FM Scout. but I don't have any IM programs, and don't really want any on my computer. If you're willing to do this by email or PMs here in this forum, I'll help. I have a little time right now, and more time tomorrow.
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver

Last edited by Runtheball : 04-07-2005 at 05:42 PM.
Runtheball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
path12
Coordinator

I use Excel most of the day every day, so I guess you could call me pretty experienced with it.....I don't have FM scout and am kind of crunched time-wise but would be happy to take a look at the program and give feedback.....
Old 04-07-2005, 08:43 PM   #7
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

thanks to those who offered their help. As I said, I'm getting closer to having something with tiny instructions to give to somebody other than me so he could use it. It's not that it's amazingly difficult, but I tend to do stuff instinctively and when somebody else tries to mimick it, well it's not as easy for others, just ask people who've seen my Hattrick spreadsheet

I'll let you know when I got something to play with...

FM
Old 04-08-2005, 12:09 AM   #8
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It's not that it's amazingly difficult, but I tend to do stuff instinctively and when somebody else tries to mimick it, well it's not as easy for others, just ask people who've seen my Hattrick spreadsheet
AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

disclaimer: i'd be one of those people who try to mimic the excel geek.

Last edited by finkenst : 04-08-2005 at 12:09 AM.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:53 AM   #9
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

FM
Old 04-08-2005, 12:07 PM   #10
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

okay, I got a little something (version 0.1 ) together to pass around, to anybody who's interested actually. If you can do copy/paste and follow basic instructions, you should be able to use it.

It's pretty much all done manually for now.

I've put tiny instructions as to
- what columns you should include in your FM Scout setup
- how to save the export and then import it in excel
- setting up your team in the spreadsheet
- what kind of information the three reports currently in the spreadsheet will give you.

Basically, you set up FM Scout with your columns, do an export at a certain date. Play some FM2005, so a few days/weeks/months have passed. You go back to FM Scout and do a second export, and you have what you need to start playing with the spreadsheet. Even with only one FM Scout export, you could use one of the three reports in the spreadsheet, you obviously wouldn't be able to do any comparison since you'd need a second date to compare that first one with, but you would be able to use the "team picture" sheet with only one export...

I've also included two exports for my own Q.P.R. team at different dates. That way, somebody who doesn't even have FM Scout, maybe not even have FM2005, could test it, or simply have fun with it...

PM me an email address if you're interested in having a look at it. I'd be interested in any feedback you could give me. Not sure how fast my support will be, but we'll take it from here and see how it goes...
FM
Old 04-10-2005, 05:11 PM   #11
Runtheball
High School JV

Im surprised this hasn't had a better response here. I tried the file and it works great.

FM, maybe you should post in the SIgames forums. I was asking for a program like yours there and no one knew of one.
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver
Runtheball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 06:35 PM   #12
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I got called into work, and haven't had a chance to really use the program yet. However, your instructions were clear and in my brief use of it, it looks great!

I'm looking forward to playing FM more tomorrow and trying it some more.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:37 PM   #13
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtheball
Im surprised this hasn't had a better response here. I tried the file and it works great.

FM, maybe you should post in the SIgames forums. I was asking for a program like yours there and no one knew of one.

Thanks Runtheball. I received 3 PMs of people asking for the spreadsheet. While I thought that maybe more would be interested, I also thought that I may have scared the crap out of everybody else

By the way, did you ever get to see some changes in skills on any of your players?

About posting on the SI forums, hrm, no thanks. I swear some people over there would think it's my day job to give them an improved spreadsheet every twelve hours... Here, I value pretty much everybody's opinion and I know people are usually respectful, and maybe not as whiney as some people over there, no offense to members of the SI forums who could have switched to here afterwards

If anybody is still interested, give me an email addy, either here or by PM...

FM
Old 04-10-2005, 06:39 PM   #14
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I got called into work, and haven't had a chance to really use the program yet. However, your instructions were clear and in my brief use of it, it looks great!

I'm looking forward to playing FM more tomorrow and trying it some more.

Good, I was wondering if you had gone ARRRRGGGG (we finkenst's post earlier in this thread ) and softly cried because you couldn't understand my Frenglish

Looking forward to your feedback.

FM
Old 04-10-2005, 10:09 PM   #15
kingfc22
Head Coach

PM sent
Old 04-11-2005, 03:12 AM   #16
KeyserSoze
H.S. Freshman Team

I´ve been doing something similar in my games
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:31 AM   #17
kingfc22
Head Coach

FM, this is a great tool. Very easy too use as well. Will give more feedback if I can think of anything that could be improved once I start to use it more.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:54 AM   #18
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
FM, this is a great tool. Very easy too use as well. Will give more feedback if I can think of anything that could be improved once I start to use it more.

Thanks, glad you think it's useful, almost surprised that you'd say it's easy to use

Honestly, it's not that it's hard to use, it simply has a bunch of little steps that I do almost in my sleep, so I have not bothered automating anything so far, may never will...

Thanks for the feedback.

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 11:11 AM   #19
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I agree that it is easy to use. I'm not far enough into my season to take the 2nd "snapshot", but the first one was very smooth. I'm looking forward to seeing how far my players progressed when I get to the halfway point in the season.
at the level you're playing, you could take a snapshot after a couple of weeks and already see some changes. I usually take a snapshot every month or so...

FM

PS: dang timestamp bug...

Last edited by FrogMan : 04-12-2005 at 11:11 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:12 AM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks, glad you think it's useful, almost surprised that you'd say it's easy to use

Honestly, it's not that it's hard to use, it simply has a bunch of little steps that I do almost in my sleep, so I have not bothered automating anything so far, may never will...

Thanks for the feedback.

FM

I agree that it is easy to use. I'm not far enough into my season to take the 2nd "snapshot", but the first one was very smooth. I'm looking forward to seeing how far my players progressed when I get to the halfway point in the season.